PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Years of Merlin being turned into a film series!

JCPhoenix
11-19-2003, 05:52 PM
Wow...fantasy is on a rise again in the film industry.

I used to be majorly into fantasy (not much anymore, as I try to read a variety of stuff, reading The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night-time and Empire Falls right now and just finished Shutter Island) and therefore this is was one of the series I read. I actually almost totally forgot about this series until i heard about it again today, but i recall liking it a lot (though my tastes have changed a lot since then so...). It was more a young adult's book, but i remember it had potential for some dazzling visuals, and at times had some really deep ideas. I don't recall if i finished it, i do know that i got to the fourth book in the series and finished that, but in any case, of all the fantasy books i've read over the years, it's one of the very few that i would at least half heartedly recommend (fantasy has been going downhill in my opinion, repeating the same things over and over again...) along with His Dark Materials, Sword of Truth series, and the Wheel of Time series (though the last does really get tedious and boring after the sixth book...i'm probably missing a couple, but those come to mind first). It's nice to see that His Dark Materials is definitely becoming a trilogy or two part series, and since WoT and SoT would be impossible to make into movies (wayyy too complex), i'm fine with them staying exactly how they are right now.

I hope fantasy doesn't saturate the market TOO much though - it could easily get to the point where we have another whole bunch of Dungeons and Dragons on our hand, and that would not be a good thing...Lord of the Rings opened the door, now i hope these directors don't blow it...
(from darkhorizons.com)
Dimension spellbound by 'Merlin'

Dimension Films is in negotiations to pre-emptively pick up a pitch from scribe Simon Kinberg based on "The Lost Years of Merlin," a popular series of books by T.A. Barron. Lorenzo di Bonaventura is attached to produce. Warner Bros. Pictures launched its successful "Harry Potter" franchise during di Bonaventura's tenure as production chief, and Miramax's genre arm is hoping that di Bonaventura, who brought the books to Kinberg, can help create a fantasy franchise for Dimension in the vein of "Potter" and "The Lord of the Rings." The five-book "Merlin" series, which has nearly 2 million copies in print, follows the magical adventures of Emrys, a boy with no memory of his past who will one day become the legendary Merlin, one of the most powerful wizards of all time. The books deal with themes of sacrifice, forgiveness and destiny, set against a backdrop of Welsh mythology and Arthurian lore. (Borys Kit and Ian Mohr)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2031142

Vega
11-20-2003, 03:49 AM
Ooh, I loved those books. They'll have to find a damn good child actor to play Emrys in the first one, though - could be a challenge, as we've seen with The Phantom Menace and the Harry Potter flicks. Best of luck to them, and I really hope this turns out well.