View Full Version : The Offspring - Splinter

12-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Well it's been 3 years but we finally have a new Offspring album. I'm a big fan so of course I was eagerly anticipating this one, and I was not disappointed. Some really great songs on here...in fact I'd say it's one of their stronger albums. Definately a step above 2000's Conspiracy of One. The album has a pretty funny ska-ish song in "The Worst Hangover Ever" (the "Why Don't You Get a Job" of the album) and an awesome accoustic song "Spare Me the Details". Along with plenty of straight ahead punk-sounding Offspring songs.

My only real complaint is that its way too short - it clocks in at just over 30 minutes, and that includes a worthless closing song that shouldn't be on the album.

I think this album has the potential to do quite well....'Hit That' is a really catchy single, very Pretty Fly-esque. Its getting pretty heavy play on my local rock station.

And the cover is just damn cool:

Thoughts on the album?

12-12-2003, 06:37 AM
I heard a short bit of Da Hui, and I thought it sucked worse than a drunk cheerleader in the mens locker room.

this one dude
12-12-2003, 01:53 PM
this band should have thrown in the towel long ago.

12-13-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Kastman
I heard a short bit of Da Hui, and I thought it sucked worse than a drunk cheerleader in the mens locker room.

Actually, yeah that's one of the worst songs on the album in my opinion...

12-16-2003, 01:41 PM
I hate to say "I liked their older stuff better" but...they havent quite redeemed themselves yet...Smash remains their best album.

Though I will buy this just to see what they are up to now, and even though they are more mainstream pop oriented now, I still like their sound. And sense of humor.

They certainly arent angry anymore thats for sure.

12-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
They certainly arent angry anymore thats for sure.

Well they're rich now too...

12-19-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm a huge Offspring fan, definitely one of my favorite bands... but, I was ready to give up on them after Americana, not only a ridiculously short album but way too pop-oriented.

Splinter is definitely a step in the right direction, even though they will never top Smash, this album sounds more punk than that crap Americana, despite the fact that it's also way too short and includes three tracks that are worthless: "When You're In Prison" is funny but still, just a joke rather than a real song; "Neocon" is one minute of Dexter shouting; and "Da Hui" is just an album filler (read: noise).

"Hit That", "Race Against Myself", "Spare Me The Details", and "Can't Get My Head Around You" are great songs, though. In fact, all other songs on the album are pretty solid. And the cover and design are great.

12-19-2003, 02:05 PM
32 minutes

i could pay the same price and get Speakerboxxx/Love Below and get about 130 minutes of TALENT

12-19-2003, 05:19 PM
I'll (hopefully) be getting this soon, thought Hit That was an allright song but I think I need to listen to it more than once to get used of the tune, just caught the video during the middle of it. Crazy, yet original video though.

12-19-2003, 06:51 PM
got the cd in the mail yesterday (a xmas present from a buddy fightin in the war)

Pretty good cd i think. It is short... but i think the songs on it are pretty nice!

12-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Well seeing as Ixnay is one of my all-time favorite albums, and the ingnition is as punk as punk can get I had to buy this album. It isn't great but it isn't shit either (See conspiracy of one). Can't say I'd recommend it though.

12-20-2003, 02:35 AM
It's really too bad the CD is so short, and that they included that worhless 12th track, because there are some really kick ass songs on here, that seem more in the punk vein than some of their other recent stuff. Unfortunately though, I don't think we'll ever see another album of the quality of Smash or Americana.

Da Hui is growing on me a bit more now...

12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Being an offspring fan that I am, I just had to get this album. I was really impressed with this album, although not as great as Ixnay on the Hombre but better than Conspiracy of One (which I thought was allright but not too impressive).

Songs I liked
1: Neocon
2: The Noose
3: Long Way Home
4: Hit that
5: Race agasint myself
7: The worst hangover ever
9: Lighting rod
10: Spare me the details

Songs I didn't like
8: Never gonna find me
11: Da Hui
12: When your in prison

Da Hui and Never gonna find me are just like those songs that fill up pace on the album, which is a shame because they could of pulled off some cool stuff with those two. Ah well, can't win them all. But I aint sure what they were thinking when they did the last track: When your in prison. What was with that? Really?
I thought track 6: (Can't get my) Head around you was allright, but not sure if I like it or hate it, I guess I have to listen to it a bit more to find out.
Anyways, a cool improvment from Conspiracy of One, definitly an album worth buying if your an offspring fan. And if your not, well there are songs in there that might make you a fan like: Race against myself, Spare me the details and Lighting Rod. Cool album.