PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Three Music Channels?

Psychocandy
01-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Lately i've been watching more and more of the music channels that satellite TV has to offer. So I though i'd start a thread to find out which channels my fellow music loving schmoes rate highly.

I live in the UK and the following three channels are the best by a mile.

1. VH2 - I have Paul Calf to thank for bringing this to my attention...wall to wall brilliant music 24 hours a day, seven days a weeks. Just what the doctor ordered.

2. The Amp - This was my fave until VH2 stole pole position. I still check it out regularly. An excellent mix of classic and contemporaty music vids.

3. MTV2 - Before The Amp and VH2 surfaced MTV2 was the sole purveyor of decent music in the UK. I'm still grateful for it's existence and the NME Top Ten and 120 Minutes are essential shows. They also have pretty good concert coverage.

Bullet Tooth Tony
01-11-2004, 06:09 PM
My top three...

1. Q
2. The Amp
3. VH1 Classic

I like Q because it shows a good mix of music, The Amp for something a little alternative and I really love "Rhyme Time" and VH1 Classic is quality so many good vids on there.

I love hip hop but I can't stand MTV Base...they don't play the hip hop I like anyway! :)

Psychocandy
01-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullet Tooth Tony
I love hip hop but I can't stand MTV Base...they don't play the hip hop I like anyway! :)

I like hip hop too. It's definitely not my favorite genre but I do like it. The thing that gets on my tits though is that even after the watershed (fuck...often even as late as midnight and beyond) the videos still get shown in edited versions. Are these the only version that the music channels are issued with? They ain't even consistent about it. I've seen the Lap Dance video about half a dozen times totally uncut and about twice as many times in the edited version. Also...why have shows on late at night whose suggested purpose is to supposedly show videos that can't be show uncut at other times...then show the videos cut? Why? Anyway...this is developing into a rant so i'm gonna shut up.

BadCoverVersion
01-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Lately i've been watching more and more of the music channels that satellite TV has to offer. So I though i'd start a thread to find out which channels my fellow music loving schmoes rate highly.

I live in the UK and the following three channels are the best by a mile.

1. VH2 - I have Paul Calf to thank for bringing this to my attention...wall to wall brilliant music 24 hours a day, seven days a weeks. Just what the doctor ordered.

2. The Amp - This was my fave until VH2 stole pole position. I still check it out regularly. An excellent mix of classic and contemporaty music vids.

3. MTV2 - Before The Amp and VH2 surfaced MTV2 was the sole purveyor of decent music in the UK. I'm still grateful for it's existence and the NME Top Ten and 120 Minutes are essential shows. They also have pretty good concert coverage.

Same order. VH2 is absolutely brilliant.

areyoubeingserved
01-12-2004, 12:47 AM
Australia has very little to offer... there's MTV something, or Channel V (which is corrupt and awful)... but Rage is a staple for coming home after late night benders... that's on normal television on Saturday and Friday nights.

sharkstank
01-12-2004, 01:38 AM
1. fuse
great shoews like imx, uranium, number 1 countdown and always music

2. mtv2
alot of music, love the countdowns, headbangers ball and subteranean

3. none

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bullet Tooth Tony
01-12-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Psychocandy
I like hip hop too. It's definitely not my favorite genre but I do like it. The thing that gets on my tits though is that even after the watershed (fuck...often even as late as midnight and beyond) the videos still get shown in edited versions. Are these the only version that the music channels are issued with? They ain't even consistent about it. I've seen the Lap Dance video about half a dozen times totally uncut and about twice as many times in the edited version. Also...why have shows on late at night whose suggested purpose is to supposedly show videos that can't be show uncut at other times...then show the videos cut? Why? Anyway...this is developing into a rant so i'm gonna shut up.

I've been thinking the same thing. I wish I had an answer but I don't think anyone really knows. Like you say surely after 9pm they should have vids uncut, I mean The Osbournes was on at 9pm on MTV and they said "cunt" so why can't they have uncut vids. Hypocrisy I tell you.

I have cable and don't get VH2, what sort of music does it show?

Frank the Tank
01-12-2004, 08:59 AM
1. Fuse (Uranium and Uranium Classics rule.)
2. MTV2 (Headbangers Ball!)
3. VH1 Classics (For the awesome old school vids.)

My digital cable has alot of music stations, but most of them suck like VH1 Country, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, MTV Spanish, VH1 R&B, VH1 Megahits.

paul calf
01-12-2004, 10:03 AM
well its near enough the same as psychocandy and bcv.

1)VH2 everything i have ever wanted in a music channel

2) the amp play list is getting bigger and better all the time and old's cool is a must watch.

3) a tie for me Q & MTV2 both have a lot of good stuff on them but they also have a lot of stuff i don't really like mtv2 can be a bit too heavy sometimes where as Q can play a bit too much pop.

glad you like VH2 psycho i found it completly by accident i thought it would be just like vh1 which i must admit i avoid like the plague far too middle of the road,but i was pleasantly suprised.

Psychocandy
01-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by paul calf
1)VH2 everything i have ever wanted in a music channel

I was likewise wary of VH2 as a result of my long held opinion that VH1 is boring as holy fuck. But it's a real find. If you ignore their lamentable insistance on playing Stereophonics at least three times a night then it's almost totally without peer. Special mention to some of the live stuff they pull out. I just saw Smashing Pumpkins perform an acoustic rendition of Disarm and right now i'm watching Weezer rip through their classic Buddy Holly. Amazing stuff. The best thing though is that I have Sky+ and a DVD Recorder linked up to my box. I can dump a few hours of music TV into the Sky+ box then record the stuff I want to keep onto DVD to keep and dispose of the cack (Stereophonics and the like).

Toneybeen
01-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Whoever came up with VH2 needs a bloody knighthood. Other than that, I'll flick between The Amp, The Vault, MTV and MTV2. Occassionally Magic when it has a classic or two on. Also VH1 Classic, for the same reason.

Just waiting for whoever (there must be someone out there!) watches Flaunt to step forward...

dionysus
01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
1. MTV(but that shouldnt really count since i dont watch any of their music stuff, come to think of it they dont have any music stuff.)
2. Fuse
3. VH1(i love the 80s kicks ass)