PDA

View Full Version : Roman Polanski's Oliver Twist?

Cyclonus
01-26-2004, 05:22 AM
I was browsing imdb, and it says Polanski is planning to direct yet another version of the Charles Dickens classic. At this early date there's not a lot of information about the project. Can anyone here shed more light on this?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0380599/

arto_j
01-26-2004, 08:21 AM
This is what Comingsoon.net reported last month :

Oliver Twist, Roman Polanski's take on Charles Dickens' classic tale and the helmer's followup to his Oscar-winning The Pianist, will begin shooting June 21 in Prague.

Producers Alain Sarde and Robert Benmussa have lined up many of the "Pianist" team, including Polish-based production designer Allan Starski. Starski is beginning pre-production in Poland before preparing in Prague in late February. The film, about young pickpockets in 19th-century London, is scheduled for a 15- to 20-week shoot and a Thanksgiving 2005 release.

"It's a huge project," Benmussa told Variety, "It's a two-year job. After the heavy emotional and personal story of 'The Pianist,' Polanski wanted to make a family film. We spent a year reading scripts and searching for the right story. Then we discovered the last film of 'Oliver Twist' was made by David Lean in 1948. There was a musical in 1968, but Lean's was the last straight version."

Budgeted at about $60 million, the film will take over most of Barrandov Studios, shooting on soundstages and the large backlot. Although writer Ronald Harwood is expected to deliver the finished product in March, casting has already begun, focusing first on children. The cast should be completely British.

So that should give you some information...The casting should be starting sometime later in the spring. It does look somewhat interesting, even if it's been done before.

Mattapooh
01-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Oh yeah, Roman Polanski and children, what a wonderful idea.....

Jon Lyrik
01-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Looks like Polanski might try to stick his Dickens into another kid.

Sorry, I had to do that joke.

Christoph
01-26-2004, 04:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA. What kind of children will star in this?

quoth_the_raven
01-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Jon Lyrik
Looks like Polanski might try to stick his Dickens into another kid.

Sorry, I had to do that joke.

damn you got there first ;)

I'm not going to make a Polanski perv joke. I also don't feel that he can add anything to the story, but as Sean Connery said recently, "i'm waiting to be impreshed..."

impressed i mean ;)

blankpage
01-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Well........I wonder....;)

No. I'm going to wait for a trailer to post my thoughts.

Tweek
01-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
damn you got there first ;)

I'm not going to make a Polanski perv joke. I also don't feel that he can add anything to the story, but as Sean Connery said recently, "i'm waiting to be impreshed..."

impressed i mean ;)

LOL!