PDA

View Full Version : Casting older people in the roles of teenagers/college students.

Tom Samborski
03-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Yes, I do know that it is the stars that make a movie, but I'm sick of Hollywood casting 25-26 year olds in the roles of teenagers and college students! 1995 called, it wanted its teenagers back!
The studio executives obviously think we are all just idiots who think the actors are really young enough to be teenagers, but you're not fooling me or anyone else on these boards! Example: Monica Keena playing a "teenager" in Freddy v.s Jason. She was born in 1979, and she plays a FRIGGIN teeanger in that movie! A 24-year old teenager, how believeable. I've seen actual teenagers walk through the hallways at my high school, and I know the difference between who is a high-school student and who isn't. Anyone in their mid-20's is NOT a high school student.

Hollywood should start to learn from Gus Van Sant, and cast actual teenagers in their movies- just like Van Sant did in Elephant.

Samborski, out.

The Engraved
03-13-2004, 12:25 AM
I know what you mean. But I'm o.k. with it for now.

Scarface98.9
03-13-2004, 01:01 AM
It is a common epidemic of wrongly casted people in younger roles. Though I like Scary Movie in parodying that, and how well Alison Lohman played a teen in Matchstick Men

HeavyK
03-13-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't mind a 24 year old protraying an 17/18 year old but when you have people in their 30s playing teenagers, it's just rediculous.

Succubus
03-13-2004, 09:15 AM
It worked for Grease...

But I see where you're coming from. I don't believe there's a shortage of teenagers in the acting world, so God knows why people in their twenties are being selected.

BorderEevilIII
03-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Good actors and the ideal ages are HARD to find. Studios wants BANKABLE stars lean toward those who are 2 years or even older fom the role they are playing. I usually like to see someone thats the SAME age or close to for the realism. Directors and Producers taking a chance on a unknown that happens to be the correct age gets rare each day. :(

Reigh Kaufman
03-13-2004, 01:38 PM
James Dean, Olivia Newton-John, John Travolta...they were as close to their teenage years (in Rebel Without A Cause and Grease) as I am from sucking the sweat out of a tramp's vest.

Actually....

chasingbanky
03-13-2004, 03:52 PM
Well its either people in their mid twenties or Agent Cody banks.....You make the call

Playboy Papi
03-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Anyone in their mid-20's is NOT a high school student.

You sure about that? Check your school roster again, you know and look closely at the teachers walking the hallways between classes. You sure they are teachers? :p

Playboy Papi
03-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by chasingbanky
Well its either people in their mid twenties or Agent Cody banks.....You make the call

spare us!!!!!

bmain77
03-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey even though half the cast of 90210 was drawing social security before their characters graduated high school, I still found their performances quite convincing.:rolleyes: :D

I honestly can't think of any recent movies where the age differences were detracting from the film. But using Cody Banks as an example, Frankie Muniz is 18. Now would you really cast him as an 18 year old if you were making a high school movie? Not unless you were casting for a wimpy looking type of guy. Trust me I'm in high schools every day and most freshman look older than Cody Banks.

Scarface98.9
03-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Look on the bright side: The teen comedy Girl Next Door is coming out soon, and stars leads that're in their teens, or very close to it, and the early word on it is that it's a very good comedy

The Postmaster General
03-19-2004, 03:29 PM
It makes since, because teenagers try to look like older actors.

So, I think it can be believable when an older actor (mid-20s) plays a teenager.

I'm glad I'm not single, because I see girls who are like 15 years old at the mall, and often have to do a double-take because they look like they could be in college.

Man, I just creeped myself out.