PDA

View Full Version : New Dawn of the Dead zombies

Saint
03-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Arrow said it best that the zombies run like olympic runners. What the hell is that about. I predict that this movie isn't gonna be as good as the original. But hey i could be wrong. Does anyone agree?

KillerKlown
03-18-2004, 04:36 PM
I think the film is gonna suck big time and I was all for just ignoring it until it came on Sky. But guess what the wife went out and bought while I was away on business? Two fecking tickets to tomorrow night's showing!

fevers
03-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by KillerKlown
I think the film is gonna suck big time and I was all for just ignoring it until it came on Sky. But guess what the wife went out and bought while I was away on business? Two fecking tickets to tomorrow night's showing!

That's a bummer, I agree this looks terrible. The zombies are just to try to scare people more because they move fast. OH NO!! Stupid people making remakes.

(Shakes fist)

KillerKlown
03-18-2004, 04:51 PM
I still haven't told her if I was going or not, though. ;)

Nah, I know better - I'd be wearing my balls as ear-rings if I tried that one on...

someguy
03-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Well it was HER money and not yours. That's a plus right?

A.J. Hakari
03-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Does Hollywood really have no clue what rigor mortis is?

waffleking
03-18-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm not going to be a big fan of these new zombies. What i liked the most about the original Dawn of the Dead was that Romero treated the zombies like a natural disaster, like a flood. If you were smart enough to keep them contained you could live. They weren't running around like crazy and they definately weren't thinking creatures.

Saint
03-18-2004, 06:50 PM
I mean Ramero isn't directing and i'm not sure if Savini was on gore and it might suck.....but you still gotta see it for yourself

jagged halo
03-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari

Of course they do, the genre itself suffers the above condition.

:(

EVILxxx
03-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Adam J. Hakari

According to the Ernie in ROTLD Rigor mortis can be worked out by flexing the mucles.
Freddy had rigor mortis for a while then he started running around like a crazy person.

someguy
03-18-2004, 10:59 PM
I still have to agree with Arrow and others. These zombies shouldn't be.........running. I find it more believable that zombies would be slow moving than Olympic runners on speed. I mean sure people thought about 28 days later but as Arrow said they ran because they were infected with a rage virus. These zombies are really just typical zombies and don't have any "rage" virus in them. Typical zombies have an incredibly low IQ. Pardon me for this comment but a mentally disabled person doesn't go running around like a freak do they? The zombies don't understand what they are capable of because they're so dumb. All they do know is remnants of their past life and that they need to eat live humans.

As for the comment about faster zombies being scarier I disagree with that. Sure zombies are slow but if you got a group of them it would be more difficult. I remember the movies where there was a person who was in a spot waiting for the zombies to come up and start feasting. I would find it a hell of a lot scarier just sitting there waiting to be killed rather than the person darting up to you and just go crazy. But what do I know.

Dark_One79
03-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Unlike most of you I do want to see this remake. However, it is common sense that "slow zombies" = scary. Having fast zombies defeats the entire purpose of the zombie as a movie monster. Zombies were never about the imminent danger of a one-on-one encounter. It was more about the sense of despair of the world ending and that there was really no escape. Eventually you would not have any more places to run.

Why oh why do they not listen to our opinion on these matters? Oh yeah, most morons won't know the difference. Nor have they even heard of Romero. Bastards.

EVILxxx
03-19-2004, 01:02 AM
It's simple running zombies = action. Action is much more marketable than horror. Therefore Action=$. But i mean think about how scary this movie had potential to be with the amount of zombies they're using. Imagine thousands of zombies slowly surronding you.... oh well.

GuyWithTheGun
03-19-2004, 03:09 AM
I just watched the original 1968 NOTLD, and I've got this to say.

Fast moving zombies are just cheap. The great part about the slow moving zombies typical of a Romero film is that it sometimes seems like they just can't be stopped, especially in the first one. First, there's one. Then it's five or six. Then it's twenty. Then it's fifty. And they're just slowly ambling towards you. You know, eventually, they WILL get you. It's just a matter of staving off the inevitable. The "slow" zombie gets a much better reaction out of me. For example: Ben shoots a zombie in the chest. The zombie falls down, then gets back up and keeps coming. Or when the crazy girl is running from the first zombie. It runs after her car, and yeah, she loses him. But ten minutes later, there he is.

You can't stop them. Even when they find out that destroying the brain will destroy the zombie, stopping them is still all but impossible. It may seem easy to score a headshot with any sort of gun, but anyone whose shot a gun in real life knows that you need practice, you need patience, you need time. You need all those things for the kind of accuracy you'd need to pop zombie heads with any sort of consistency.

The "slow" zombie adds so much more drama and suspense to the film. You can delay it, but you can't freakin' stop it unless you're trained to do it or are extremely lucky.

The best part of the original NOTLD?
*SPOILER BELOW*
Nobody survives. Some stupid redneck shoots Ben, thinking he's a zombie, which is probably not far from what would really happen.

One way or the other, the rate of survival would just be infintesmal. When one of your friends falls, you've got a matter of minutes before he's a zombie too. Even if you die a natural death, you become a zombie.

The original was far ahead of it's time. Honestly, I haven't seen the other two in the Romero trilogy, but based on the first one, I'm really looking forward to them. The original is a treasure beyond words, in my opinion, one of the best zombie flicks ever (not counting Evil Dead, because technically, they're the Evil Dead and not zombies).

9/10 Beers for Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Guy
"Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Luke-Abbott
03-19-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Dark_One79
Unlike most of you I do want to see this remake.

As do I, but when going into the cinema to see this I know that it won't be as good as the original (most remakes aren't).
And I too hate seeing Zombies run, it reminded me too much of that terrible, piece of zombie trash House of the Dead (why did I watch it???!!!!) but they didn't just run in that, they also jumped!! I hope the zombies in DOTD don't jump, running is one thing but jumping zombies.....?

Okay, my rant of the day is over.

pyscho dude
03-19-2004, 12:05 PM
I agree running zombies aren't as scary as slow ones. Like what GuyWithTheGun says, it's the inevitable horror. I too am probably just gonna avoid seeing this movie all together.

spacemonkey
03-19-2004, 12:43 PM
I think theres room in the world for both the olimpic runners and the slows as molasses ones.

Me personally I think the fast runners are more of a menace, I just saw Dawn of the Dead (2004) last night, and those mean zombies were a bitch!

Theres one scene where they are coming through a stair case and one pops up then two then five then its a bunch...and fast! Cool shit.

Oh yeah, the new Dawn is great by the way. I think it stands on its own as a great zombie flick. Not really a remake though.

EvilDeadGirl
03-19-2004, 03:09 PM
I've been reading you (spacemonkey) going off about this flick and how good it is. So, IF I'm dissapointed this weekend can I do something mean to you for getting my hopes up? ;)

TheDeadWalk
03-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Can anyone correct me on this... I didn't think that rigor mortis was permenant. That after mortis sets in for a while, then everything turns into a sloppy jelly like status.

But still, let us keep in mind of the mother who wrecks her car into the lake, and still pulls her children out of the water to safety, then hours later after her adrenaline kicks out, she dies, or was paralyzed or had severe broken bones. Whatever it is thats kicking in these zombies are keeping them going, against all ailments.

And Double K, fucking go to the movie! We both love zombies, and you should check it out at the least for that. Don't make me break out the belt. Haha.

spacemonkey
03-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by EvilDeadGirl
I've been reading you (spacemonkey) going off about this flick and how good it is. So, IF I'm dissapointed this weekend can I do something mean to you for getting my hopes up? ;)

You can do whatever you like to me babe...heh heh just kidding no seriously, the movie will rock evil dead girl. I saw it last night and me and my brother were both like really tough critics on movies. I mean if a movie seriously blows, well rip it apart.

But when we both agree that a film kicked all sorts of ass (as was the case with Dawn) well then it usually means that the movie is in deed something to behold. So be on the look out for a good zombie flick.

I mean, its just that this movie gave me everything I was looking for in a zombie flick...and then some. You know and I just gots to praise it for that.

Dont view as anything related to Romeros film, like Ive said before....its not. Its a completely different story. Even the characters are not the same. I just wished theyd named it something else is all. But as it is, and putting that whole title thing aside....the films awesome! Right down to the cool as hell credits that you need to sit through...dont get up theres more to the story after the credits start to roll.

If your still dissapointed, well like you said do nasty things to me...oh wait that didnt sound right. :D LOL Im laughing here...Lol!

KillerKlown
03-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Hmmmm you can tell the director was influenced somewhat by 28 days later. Although I must say, I find the running zombies a bit more "dangerous" than the ole' walkers.

TheDeadWalk, you are right about rigor mortis not being Permanent - it generally manifests around 3 to 4 hours after death and disappears over the next few days as proteins in the muscle break down.

Saint
03-19-2004, 09:28 PM
I just got back from seeing it.....I thought it was like a 3.5/5.....The gore was better then i thought...But the ending was really weak in my opinion..And u definitely have to see the credits, it shows the real ending

IamNoOne666
03-19-2004, 09:41 PM
I just got back from seeing it, and I must say I loved it. Granted you can't compare it to the orginal. The thing I loved about it was what I kinda liked about the TCM remake and thats I didn't go see a movie I've already seen. The Psycho remake was horrid for many reasons 1 of which was it was the same movie, same lines and everything. TCM was different but changed enough to where I didn't know what was going to happen next. This was completely different from the orginal. The only thing I can complain about in this movie is the title. I would have liked it better if they called something like No More Room In Hell, and say it was inspired by Dawn not a remake. But to end this I can proudly say I loved it.

Saint
03-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Thats exactly how i feel, except i hated the marathon running zombies..... I mean they were scarier then the slow moving ones, but the slow moving ones are classic!

stevereno
03-19-2004, 10:04 PM
I really liked this movie.

I know running zombies seems unrealistic, but a "zombie" in itself is pretty unrealistic. And I found the new zombies to be 1000 times more scary.

I really enjoyed this movie and i'm interested to see the DVD extra's.

9/10

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

fevers
03-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Hated the movie.

2/10

The zombies had good make-up effects, but I could not stand fast zombies. It was much better when the zombies were slow. The movie just got worse and worse as it went on. AND...

*SPOILERS*

A Freaking zombie baby!?! Come on George, you can do better than that. Lame.

*End of SPOILERS*

Overall, I thought it was trash and a very bad representation of the original.

EVILxxx
03-20-2004, 12:04 AM
I think that the people who walked into this saying "fuck this movie, this is shameful, they can't do this to Romero!" represented about 95% of the people who hated it.

2/10 come on the cast alone warrents a 5/10!

pyscho dude
03-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Uh fevers what did you mean by saying come on George? George Romero wasn't involved in this remake in any way whatsoever.

Saint
03-20-2004, 10:06 AM
i think he meant that was what they were thinking (Synder) (new director)

Saint
03-20-2004, 10:08 AM
opps nevermind i was reading something different.....yea george had nothing to do with the movie except that they used his original screen play....But I think that was the first zombie baby ever born! HA

KillerKlown
03-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Saint
But I think that was the first zombie baby ever born! HA

Nope, Dead-Alive had a zombie baby birth years ago and also that god-awful film Shatter Dead.

TheDeadWalk
03-20-2004, 04:02 PM
opps nevermind i was reading something different.....yea george had nothing to do with the movie except that they used his original screen play....But I think that was the first zombie baby ever born! HA

They didn't use George Romero's original screenplay. Everything was just based off of it (Vague things like zombies, a mall, apocalypse, etc.)

someguy
03-20-2004, 04:25 PM
You see? Why couldn't they just say that it was inspired by Dawn of the Dead because they loved the premise but they wanted to make their own original movie with it? Why did they have to make it a remake? If they said that and just made it so it wasn't involved with the original(except for the premise).

EVILxxx
03-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by someguy
You see? Why couldn't they just say that it was inspired by Dawn of the Dead because they loved the premise but they wanted to make their own original movie with it? Why did they have to make it a remake? If they said that and just made it so it wasn't involved with the original(except for the premise).

Yeah. Plus they didn't explore the possibilities of having a mall all to yourself the way the original did. It could have easily been in a warehouse or office complex.

Queen_Akasha
03-21-2004, 12:05 PM
THIS MOVIE ROCKED!!!!!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!!

Saint
03-21-2004, 01:21 PM
ok when i said george had nothing to do with the movie i was refering that he personally didn't. Of course they used his original screen play to base there film

John Mullets
03-21-2004, 02:47 PM
ok when i said george had nothing to do with the movie i was refering that he personally didn't. Of course they used his original screen play to base there film

George's original script didn't have any bullshit like zombie babies. Blame the remake's script writer, James Gunn, for any lame story-related shit.

EVILxxx
03-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by John Mullets
George's original script didn't have any bullshit like zombie babies. Blame the remake's script writer, James Gunn, for any lame story-related shit.

I thought the zombie baby bit was interesting. I thought it would have been better if they kept it where when you die no matter what you turn into a zombie so maybe they child could have died inside his mother then ate his way out. I'm sick.

adamjohnson
03-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Babies cant hardly move that soon.

KillerKlown
03-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by EVILxxx
so maybe they child could have died inside his mother then ate his way out. I'm sick.

Funnily enough, I was hoping that it was going to happen that way. :D

fevers
03-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by adamjohnson
Babies cant hardly move that soon.

Well. This is a SUPER zombie baby. :rolleyes:

EDsoulsurvive*
03-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Call me crazy, or maybe just young, but running zombies are a fine change of pace from the original slow movers. I think some of us schmoes are too used to the old zombies to welcome change. The zombies in this movie looked freakin fantastic, i thought they were way scarier than the slow movers of Resident Evil. I think someone used the word already but they were just so much more menacing.

Saint
03-21-2004, 05:23 PM
I agree about change. But i think that change should have been let out in George Rameo's classic. I mean remaking it was alright but they changed so much about it and i thought the zombie change was just oo much. I do complement the remakers, the gore was pretty good for being released in the box offices.

IamNoOne666
03-21-2004, 05:24 PM
I just have to defend something here, alot of people are complaining about the zombie baby. I loved it, they did it just right in my eyes. They didn't make a joke of it, they didn't have running around the screen, they showed for like 2 seconds max made make that zombie type noise and a gunshot. It was just to show that it was a zombie baby. And the fact that it moved around, thats just being picky in my eyes. Its a movie, we watch these types of movies knowing that the majority of them could never happen in real life, why nit pick something that small. But thats just my opinion and everyone has theirs.

ofmknockoff
03-21-2004, 05:41 PM
I just took the zombie baby as a homage to Dead Alive and I thought it was kinda cool. I can't say I was really looking forward to a Dawn remake but I thought it was really well done. But they could have gotten away with not calling it Dawn of the Dead.

flan
03-21-2004, 08:49 PM
the only thing i didnt like about the zombies was that when they got shot anywere besides the head they started twitchin like fuckin retards.

TheDeadWalk
03-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by flan
the only thing i didnt like about the zombies was that when they got shot anywere besides the head they started twitchin like fuckin retards.

I took it as maybe something in the body was hit that wasn't allowing them to properly move the way that they wanted to. The "water fountain zombie" was hit in the shoulder with a shotgun, it may have affected vital muscles and bones required to stand up. But of course, its considered twitching, because they refuse to give up. They just keep forcing what won't move.

IamNoOne666
03-22-2004, 02:48 AM
I agree with thedeadwalk very much with on that, I said had this conversation with a friend of mine and I told him almost those exact words.

Jack_Cheze
03-22-2004, 11:00 AM
I've always loved the dead movies because the zombies were only half scary. Yeah, they tried to eat you, but for the most part they were weak and slow. I felt like Barbara in the remake of NofLD, you could walk places and be ok if you were armed and paid attention. With the running zombies, that was scary shit, they went after you like they meant it. Not too mention the shear number of zombies in this one

poopontheshoes7
03-22-2004, 11:28 AM
What the fuck is the big deal about "fast zombies" "They run like there olympians on speed" come on stop exagerating.

Im probably the only one here ho thought Dawn and Day sucked donkey turds. They both were cheesy. YES CHEESY!!! Very corny.

And about the rigamortis. The zombies in the remake werent dead that long for rigamortis to set in. Unless you specifically saw zombies rise from the grave or there was a report about the dead rising form the grave then that would give ample space to complain about rigamortis not setting in.

Slow zombies are sometimes lame. I stress the word sometimes, not all the time. Like in the original they were boring and lame.
The faster ones are a lot more scary and life threatenig then slow ones. IMO. They have that unstopable hunger thing going for them while the slow ones look just plain stupid.

ParileseMonster
03-22-2004, 05:30 PM
My husband snuck in to see this piece of shit yesterday and he fucking hated it and by the way he described it I knew I was right all along. I knew this would suck ass! I am so glad he did not pay money for this wreck. They should have named it something else. Such a horrible slap in the face to the original.
Fast moving zombies that make sounds like they are Jaguars????
NO THANK YOU!:mad:
George Romero should have his name taken off this thing just like when Stephen King took his name off
The Lawnmower Man.

C-Desecration-
03-22-2004, 06:19 PM
I totally agree with everyone here bitching about the changed zombies. Keep them the way they always were! Fuck these idiots!

Oh, and the world is flat. Also, earth is the center of the universe. Fuck Galileo and his goddamned "cult". :mad:

:rolleyes:

Saint
03-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Well after Day of the Dead. Return of the Living Dead sucked! The reason i hated it was because of the zombies. Those zombies are similar to the new Dawns. They were olympic runners. Also from ROFTLD does anyone remember who they set a trip for the cops. On of them actually dressed up as a cop! The reason for both of those movies being weaker then usual was because of the new zombies

C-Desecration-
03-22-2004, 06:49 PM
I think the issue with MOST people isn't that zombies should only walk/lumber, but that they somehow lose their supernatural dread-ish stuff if they start moving normally. Just like if Micheal Myers started running. Something about the physical movements associated with quick speed tends to make things look clumsy.

I think zombies need to move in a unique way to retain their terror. Lumbering is good . . . but they could also move super-lithly, like very agilely, even moreso than normal humans. That'd work.

EvilDeadGirl
03-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Spacemonkey........I'm going to do bad things to you! Click Here (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=73226) My turn to plug my review. :)

BTW Running zombies suck and zombie babies are horrible.

TheDeadWalk
03-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by poopontheshoes7
What the fuck is the big deal about "fast zombies" "They run like there olympians on speed" come on stop exagerating.

Im probably the only one here ho thought Dawn and Day sucked donkey turds. They both were cheesy. YES CHEESY!!! Very corny.

And about the rigamortis. The zombies in the remake werent dead that long for rigamortis to set in. Unless you specifically saw zombies rise from the grave or there was a report about the dead rising form the grave then that would give ample space to complain about rigamortis not setting in.

Slow zombies are sometimes lame. I stress the word sometimes, not all the time. Like in the original they were boring and lame.
The faster ones are a lot more scary and life threatenig then slow ones. IMO. They have that unstopable hunger thing going for them while the slow ones look just plain stupid.

Rigormortis sets in four hours after death I believe.

EVILxxx
03-23-2004, 01:56 AM
rigor mortis smigor mortis. There are probably alot of stuff that functions in a zombie that wouldn't in just a reanimated corpse. If the body keeps moving around the blood won't pool in the limbs (ala Ernie the mortician's explaination in ROTLD) and rigor mortis may not occur.