PDA

View Full Version : Is Old School horror a thing of the past???

zombie359
03-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Ok its time to get serious. I mean we have to start to worry about the state of horror as we know it. Hollywood is doing nothing but remaking classic beloveded horro films like Dawn of The Dead. The new generation of horror fans know nothing about good horror movies, and if the trend keeps up old scholl horror will be extinct. I have heard people refer to scary movie as a horror movie? wtf? ya right these people are stupid. Now adays most horror movies are rated pg13 or 14
last time i checked all the good horror movies that we love are rated r. Doesnt hollywood have any respect for the horror genres. Why does a rapper have to be in all the new horror movies? Rap is crap. I want to see a good horror movie, not a rapper who wants to promote their image. I am willing to bet that anyone of us here can make a better movie then the idiots in hollywood right now. With the exception of 28 days later and cabin fever and a few others, the newest horror movies are nuthing but crap. I only wish that the new generation will show some respect for the old school horror movies and maybe learn something.

X-Nightcrawler
03-20-2004, 12:00 AM
First off, welcome to the boards.

Well, I don't think Old School is gone . . . "Session 9", "The Others", "Jeepers Creepers /2", "Freddy Vs Jason" (so sue me) are very old schoolish horror movies. But you bring an interesting point.

HorrorIsMyGod
03-20-2004, 01:14 AM
I just keep reminding myself, "There will always be the originals!" It helps alittle! ;)

C-Desecration-
03-20-2004, 01:23 AM
Ok its time to get serious. I mean we have to start to worry about the state of horror as we know it. Hollywood is doing nothing but remaking classic beloveded horro films like Dawn of The Dead. The new generation of horror fans know nothing about good horror movies, and if the trend keeps up old scholl horror will be extinct.

Huh. I thought the original TCM and Dawn of the Dead were mediocre wastes of time. All Nightmare sequels were laughable, with the exceptions of 3 and the final one (though I never saw number 2). Friday's weren't exactly good. Phantasm was awful.
So much for Old School (but Day of the Dead owned).
Now I'd much prefer The Ring, Ginger Snaps, Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, The Cell, 8mm, Willard, One Hour Photo, May, Donnie Darko, Perfect Blue, the NEW Dawn, and (maybe, haven't seen it yet) the NEW TCM, Sixth Sense, Signs, Jeepers Creepers, From Hell, and Mothman Prophecies, etc.

Just something to think about . . .

I have heard people refer to scary movie as a horror movie? wtf? ya right these people are stupid. Now adays most horror movies are rated pg13 or 14
last time i checked all the good horror movies that we love are rated r. Doesnt hollywood have any respect for the horror genres.

Actually, that's why there's less R. Films are going for phsychological scares rather than cheasy guts n' gore (friday films). So things have to be gorey to be scary? Odd. Sixth Sense creeped me out way more than any old school movie. And The Ring scared me more than any pre-90 film.

Why does a rapper have to be in all the new horror movies? Rap is crap

That's a strange comment. Could you name names? Are you just reffering to busta in Ressurection (the halloween)? Huh? The only other rapper I can name off the top of my head in Eminem, and he wasn't in horror (just a very good drama film called 8-mile).

zombie359
03-20-2004, 01:29 AM
im not saying all new horror movies are shit ok!! there are sum good ones like ginger snaps. im just saying that hollywood is trying to cash in on old titles instead of giving us somthing new. it would have been better if the remake of dawn of the dead was remade 100 percent. it would look awesome if it were put in a moderen setting

C-Desecration-
03-20-2004, 01:33 AM
it would look awesome if it were put in a moderen setting

But isn't that what they did? I mean, didn't they basically re-do the entire movie? From the reviews it seems that aside from the 'mall', everything is so totally different they could've gotten away with calling it by a different name entirely.
Personally, since I dislike TCM and Dawn, if I saw those originals I would LOVE an opportunity to remake them and try to do something I thought would improve them. I personally think that most of these remakes are pretty good in terms of quality. In the last few years we haven't gotten one god-awful, embarssing remake.
Most were just high-quality revisions with a recognizeable name to sell more tickets.

zombie359
03-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Im just saying that why cany they cash in on an origional idea instead of cashing in on movies that already have been made.

I liked the tcm remake but i still love the origonal more

EVILxxx
03-20-2004, 01:56 AM
I don't think so. I think that old school horror may not always be on Hollywood's mind but it will always have a place in low budget and independant film circuit. Everything usually comes full circle anyway. 90's Teen Slashers were once all the rave and are now all but gone. Scream1, Scream2, Scream3, I Know What You Did Last Summer, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends, Urban Legends Final Cut. The List goes on. Then there was kind of a "ghost era" House on Haunted Hill, that one with Catherine Zeta Jones(not good enough to remember), 13 Ghost, Ghost ship, the others, ect. We are now in the Zombie era. Res Evil 1&2, 28 Days, and ofcourse DOD, and a possible third Res Evil, and a fourth Romero. I think they are starting to realize that bloodless films with pretty teenagers aren't working anymore. Slowly but surely it'll work itself into what it once was.

SykkBoy
03-20-2004, 03:11 AM
There are plenty of good, original movies being made today...they just aren't generally playing in your local multiplex

hang out here and in the other horror forums on the Internet and you'll often pick up forgotten and lesser known gems I'm always picking up great referals here (and if you find a movie on DVD or video that hasn't been mentioned on the boards, by all means, get some word of mouth spreading).

Also, Best Buy has recently won a small place in my heart by carrying a lot of Asian horror and there's some damn good movies coming out in that genre (that will eventually be remade and Americanized ;-)). Don't be afriad to avoid the big chain video/dvd stores and seek out underground video stores. There are a lot of hidden gems there. Also, chek out sites like b-independent.com that reviews a lot of straight to video/DVD flicks and I've found a bunch that they've reviewed that I've ordered and fell in love with.

Quality is around, you just sometimes have to work hard to find it (and that makes the journey worth the while)

Xipe Totec
03-20-2004, 05:19 AM
I`m not that worried about the future of horror movies. I still have faith in mankind and believe that one day they will be fed up with the crap that hollywood makes and turn their heads to either independent movies or movies from past.
I also think that there are many good horror movies today as there have always been and most likely always will. I loved The Ring (both original and remake), The Others, 28 Days Later, Cabin Fever, Identity, The Signs, House of 1000 Corpses, Beyond Re-Animator to name a few.

Personally I don`t consider Friday the 13th and Elm Street movies nowhere near old school. Universal and Hammer classics can be called old school.

Anyway, the main point is - Damn, I have to get myself in the movie business and start making horror movies of my own.

Juice
03-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Old school is gone and directors like Rob Schmidt have proofed it can't be brought back. Nothing wrong with that.

Leave the commercial big audience horror movies to the big audience, and let the real fans check out some real horror.

pyscho dude
03-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Oh how I miss the old school horror.:( Yeah there's been a few good horror movies lately(and I stress the term "few") but for the most part it's just a bunch of dissapointing, unoriginal, flashy garbadge that's not needed. I miss those old days of horror and I know that never in a million years will we ever be able to get back to that state of horror.

C-Desecration-
03-20-2004, 11:46 AM
What is everyone talking about? I mean in regards to 'old school'? One person said that Hammer films were old-school, but I got the impression anything pre-90s was.
?

On a seperate note, does anyone notice that most old school flicks don't really make you think? They aren't necessarily thought-provoking films (as opposed to today's . . . I mean the good ones). The Thing was a good movie, but, again, not really deep. Apparently Dawn made some people think, as did Day, so they're the exceptions.

And I mentioned this on another thread but nobody seemed to pay any attention . . . so why not give it another shot: doesn't it seem like (nowadays) most "great" movies are character-studies akin to One Hour Photo, May, and (haven't seen it, so don't know if its good) American Pyscho? I don't remember those types of movies pre-90s, but now I can rely on the fact that, if its one of those creepy character-studies, the movie will be top-notch. That seems to be a new sub-genre that's grown over the last few years, and I love it. Each one is original, unique, and captivating. Maybe we'll just have to suckle on those films for awhile until the other sub-genres of horror pick up the pace.
I wouldn't mind.

ParileseMonster
03-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Well, I think it is dead for me.
I am so disappointed in the direction people are taking horror. I hate the remakes, I hate the songs in the movies, I cannot stand these new actors or the need to have them act stupid, I hate rapper actors and director cameo's because it is no longer novelty, it is annoying.
I could only get through 35 minutes of
Cabin Fever. So boring, it should not take that long to get to the good stuff if there is any. The actors were stupid, the dialogue annoying the story was nowhere to be found. It just did not hold my attention. I liked 28 days later and some of the others but it is rare I find one I like when years ago I liked just about everything. Maybe all ideas are used up and it cannot help but be recycled. Maybe I have seen everything and have become jaded.
I think the movie makers and the audience are equally at fault that horror movies suck now.
You get what you pay for and if a great majority pays for it they will get it again, and again and again.
Horror is dying
I am in mourning.

X-Nightcrawler
03-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Nope zombie359, he's not a minion of Satan, he's C-Desacration-. He's a regular here . . . :)

starcat
03-20-2004, 02:26 PM
remakes are a fad thats kicking right now...im personally getting a kick out of watching movies that i love getting remade....just lets me know im not the only one who loved them... but soon this fad will be over....and then new horror movies will be made that will one day be remade during the next remake fad....:D

countchocula
03-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
What is everyone talking about?

Good question. There's nothing wrong with the horror genre. The ratio of quality to swill is the same as it's always been. "Old school" throwbacks have become trendy in the past couple of years, the MPAA has become more lenient as of late, braindead whodunits a la Urban Legend are temporarily dormant...what's the problem? I'm convinced that no matter what state the genre is in, horror addicts will bellyache ceaselessly. In fact, I'd wager that genre fans were disgruntled in the '70s and '80s. Y'know, the "golden era." Why? Because the past is always better than the present, regardless of when the present takes place. Everyone reminisces. We're all victims of nostalgia.

C-Des, there were a multitude of paramount character studies predating 1990. Psycho, Peeping Tom, Martin, Season of the Witch, Deranged, Maniac, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Carrie, Repulsion...just to name a few. Some of those are obvious, but I'm surprised that you didn't mention them.

C-Desecration-
03-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Nope zombie359, he's not a minion of Satan, he's C-Desacration-. He's a regular here . . .

Well that came out of nowhere . . .
Are we getting to the point where every new member gets a memo?
Dear sirs,
C-Desecration is not a minion of Satan. Just ignore him and he'll most likely leave you alone.
Good luck,
Joblo staff

C-Des, there were a multitude of paramount character studies predating 1990. Psycho, Peeping Tom, Martin, Season of the Witch, Deranged, Maniac, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Carrie, Repulsion...just to name a few. Some of those are obvious, but I'm surprised that you didn't mention them.

Yeah, so am I. Carrie, Henry, Psycho, and Martin I actually knew of (never saw any of them in their entirety though).
Odd . . .

And on another note, none of the movies remade were perfect. Yes they were done to cash in on the name, but I bet that the script writers did think "I can improve this."
Let me ask a q: for everyone who hated resident evil, what would you think if, a few years down the line (like, 10/15), somebody decided to make an RE remake? But this one followed the games more closely (hunters, STARS, whatever).
I have a feeling you'd be all for it. Why? Because you didn't like the direction RE took, so you'd welcome a new one.
I didn't like the direction the old Dawn and TCM took, so I welcome new ones.

jagged halo
03-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Victims of nostalgia?, completely disagree with that notion.
I have to ask myself why is it 99% of movies I enjoy are those which came out over a decade ago or longer? Apart from one or two projects, which have genuinely appealed to me, the contemporary horror-genre is festooned with utterly tragic offerings. Inevitable I suppose considering virtually every angle and concept has been done to death, thatís not to say they've been tackled particularly competently. I'm not entirely comfortable with the term 'Old school horror' either, is that what we as an audience hanker for? endless retreads of all too familiar story lines with villains who never die?.

All I yearn for as a movie addict, is high quality film-making.
I'm afraid, apart from one or two notable exceptions, this has simply eluded the genre for far too long.

Hell Phantom
03-20-2004, 06:13 PM
I personally love all generes, ages, and what not of horror.
I do agree, remakes are getting done way more then needed and its getting very agrivating! I have not seen the remake of DAWN...do I want to? Not really, even thought I found DAWN a little boring it is no WHERE in hell a bad movie! I PERSONALLY think its pure gold and didn't need to be touched, few people disagree...
I am actually surprised to see C-Desecration- to be a hater of it actually, considering he was just mentioning character understudies which in my opionon the original DAWN did in a way. Showed hwo four people delt with the world and their lives being taken over by zombies and how they coped with it which is why I really enjoy it. I must admit, DAWN looks more ENTERTAINING but that's all I think it was meant for...
Quick cash for some quick chills and thrills, not my favorite kind of money, then again, what am I suppose to say, I loved RESIDENT EVIL :P
That was another thing brought up. If they remade RESIDENT EVIL in the near future to make it closer to the game, I might actually be upset considering that's ONE of my all time favorite movies!
Honestly, I think OLD SCHOOL is in alot of the ASIAN and lower...unknown horror, they actually have to use creativness since they don't have large money to cover the screen with fancy actors and special effects.

pyscho dude
03-20-2004, 07:09 PM
What do you mean Day didn't give you much to think about? Were you listening to the dialogue? Just listen to the scene where Billy is talking to Sarah about what is causing the zombies and tell me that that isn't a thought provoking scene. Also the scene where Logan is standing in front of the zombie chained up and talking to Sarah about how "they can be fooled". Very thought provoking scenes.

C-Desecration-
03-20-2004, 07:42 PM
I don't usually do this . . . but I retract my statement.
For whatever reason I was seeing Day in a lower light than it deseverved. Bubba, especially, could spark some debate.

I need to buy that movie . . .

Anyways, I'm sticking with the "old school horror ain't exactly thought-provoking", but I guess romero's an exception, huh? Then again, Carrie could . . . and Henry, obviously . . . uh . . .
*tries to sound right*
But The Thing wasn't! Yeah! Take that!

ERIN_LoJ
03-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Horror does have its dry spells and a lot of what's been dished out has dissapointed, but thank God the teen bopping scene is over. I'd rather have remakes than that. Even though the remakes isn't the best trend either. Anyone notice horror basically goes around in a circle of the same trends anyway?

3KingsBCT
03-21-2004, 03:18 AM
I happen to think old-school is a loose term. There are many differing views, as I'v seen, on what old-school is. Some say during the Hammers. Others say pre-90's. I think it's all a matter of perspective. The remakes these days don't bother me so much. Matter of fact, I rather enjoyed them. And why, you might ask? Because they're being done by the right people. Guys like Carpenter, Romero, Hooper, Craven, etc. aren't getting any younger. So in a way Nispel and Snyder are paying their respects while at the same time trying to create their own rendidtions. They both had to know going into their respective remakes that they had a lot of weight on their shoulders to try to appease some assuredly angry fans. They knew no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't compare to the originals. So instead they attempted to make it in their own image. Boll, on the other hand, is a money hungry grub. I won't even get into HIM. But on the whole, I don't think Old School horror is becoming extinct so much as getting a makeover of sorts. We still have the precious memories of past horror movies to savor, as pointed out by HorrorIsMyGod. And for the newer generations of fans who have a genuine love for this genre, they might chomp on the remakes or come to accept what may soon be. But, in the words of Dennis Miller, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Jason13thh
03-21-2004, 04:37 AM
The Lost Boys, F13th 6 and 7, Halloween 4, Sleepaway Camp, Demons 2, Opera, Inferno (Argento), My Bloody Valentine, Alice Sweet Alice, The Thing (Carpenter), Blood and Black Lace, The Hitcher, Chopping Mall, Zombie, The Beyond,etc...

The old school rules !!

However I was surprised by Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2003, more creepy and unsettling than I thought.

jagged halo
03-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 3KingsBCT
The remakes these days don't bother me so much. Matter of fact, I rather enjoyed them. And why, you might ask? Because they're being done by the right people. Guys like Carpenter, Romero, Hooper, Craven, etc. aren't getting any younger. So in a way Nispel and Snyder are paying their respects while at the same time trying to create their own rendidtions. They both had to know going into their respective remakes that they had a lot of weight on their shoulders to try to appease some assuredly angry fans. They knew no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't compare to the originals.

The fact Carpenter and co aren't getting any younger is irrelevant, directors such as Nispel and Snyder could pay their respects by simply leaving a successful formula well alone. I don't think we'll be seeing Snyders moniker attached to anything of worth in the future. I could be wrong of course.

countchocula
03-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
Anyways, I'm sticking with the "old school horror ain't exactly thought-provoking", but I guess romero's an exception, huh? Then again, Carrie could . . . and Henry, obviously . . . uh . . .
*tries to sound right*
But The Thing wasn't! Yeah! Take that!

I'll have to take umbrage with this mentality. I enjoy exhuming horror relics, and I find that most of them are thought-provoking. Excluding z-grade cheese, every film offers substance of some sort. I watched The Day the Earth Stood Still last night, a stirring sci-fi opus dating back to 1951. It touches on numerous themes that are still relevant today, but not even that is truly "old school."

C-Desecration-
03-21-2004, 11:37 PM
I watched The Day the Earth Stood Still last night, a stirring sci-fi opus dating back to 1951. It touches on numerous themes that are still relevant today, but not even that is truly "old school."

Unfortunately (for me) I have zero credability. I've never seen a Hammer film (I know that The Day the Earth Stood Still isn't hammer, I'm just saying). In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a true black-and-white feature, and that's not including recent movies that use the color scheme for style (american history x).
I just generally assume that cinema had advanced throughout the years, tackling issues in more subtle/interesting ways. Movie's ability to convey emotion SHOULD (and has, I think) evolve just as cinematography--looking at how movies are shot and edited today there is a huge difference when comparing to pre-50s films . . . hell, even pre-90s films.
Movies constantly evolve, and always for the better (I'm talking strictly techniques here, such as directing/editing/etc.). Its very obvious to me how far cinema has come. I mean, if I watch the thing there's no ignoring the fact that its an "old" flick. So I'm understandably assuming that with the advancement of techniques stories would evolve too. And they have.
Now whether this applies specifically to 70's-80's/90s-00s films is still up in the air . . .
But generally speaking, everything evolves. I guess some people just don't like what it becomes.

3KingsBCT
03-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Halo, I know it's irrelevant. And in no way am I belittling their works. But Hollywood has hit a dry run. For the love of God, they're considering making a movie about a slinky. A SLINKY! If that's the best that their creative has to offer, I'll stick to remakes any day of the week.

Jack_Cheze
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Is the "Old School" dead? Yeah, this thread proves it. You're calling movies from the 70's old school horror, yet you don't mention the old Universal Monsters. Why? They aren't scary anymore, some regular posters here don't like the original TCM (an indy film).

TCM (the original) was shot to be a PG movie. Of course the suggestion of gore made it scarier (and gorier) for a lot of people at the time.

As people get more jaded towards storylines, storylines will have to change. Don't worry, as some classics lose their power other classics will take their place.

ofmknockoff
03-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Today I said that the Dawn remake was nothing like the original and their response was "Dawn of the Dead is a remake?":mad:

Misery
03-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Its weird. But for every time I hear about a classic horror film getting remade I get that much more pissed. I'm not 100% sure why...

Actually I just spent a few minutes just now and thought. I think the reason I am angry about the remakes is because I feel as if the originals are mine. I feel like they are a part of me, and I don't want anyone to change them.

Take for example Pet Semetary. WHYYY!!?! Please do not remake this movie. I have watched the original so many times. Please don't mess with it. Same goes for Amitysville Horror, and every other god damn moive they are remaking.

I know the originals will remane unaffected... but shit... the remakes do change perceptions on the originals. Whenever I hear about another remake(every other day, it seems) I feel like that's one more good horror film down the drain.

I know that all sounds strange and selfish, and I reitterated myself 27 times, but I just now pin pointed why I hate the remakes, so I'm a little relieved.

Thanks GOD for movies liek Donnie Darko, Final Destination, The Ring etc

oh, and one last note: I feel that if the movie is very old, then it should be remade. I wouldn't mind a modern Frankenstien(sp?) for example. But remaking a 70s or 80s movie? GAHH!!

jagged halo
03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Its funny you should mention Frankenstien and a possible remake, I posted the very same yearn almost, on another thread although I was talking about the novel Friend by Diana Henstell a modern day tale of The Bride Of Frankenstein and Cravens subsequent mutilation of it. I'd be inclined to call for a re-adaptation, remaking Deadly Friend would be pointless since many of the effective sub-plots from the book were omitted from Rubens script in favour of ludicrous gore sequences, anyway thats quite enough whinging from me!. I say start a fresh and stay true to Henstells novel, there is ample effective material you could lift from it without the need for three pointers and a piss-take for an ending.

HorrorLARPGuy
03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
"Friend" is a great novel. I hate what Craven did to it.

NightmareonF13
03-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Yeah, old school horror is dead. Its moldering corpse has been gussied up and been repackaged with generic heavy metal music, excessive gore(to replace genine scares, modern directors are too lazy and too stupid, all they know is how to throw more gore on the screen and set up a few cheap "pop up" scares. Alas, the art of terror elludes them), MTV editing, and in the case of Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2, an overtly pedophilic slant.

Ironically, what you're really looking for, imo, is a NEW golden era, which would constitute innovative new scary movies that wouldn't nessecarily mirror classics like NOTLD, or TCM, but in their own way BE the NOTLD or TCM of their generation (if you know what I mean...). But I have a hunch that most fans would simply be happy with successful revivals of old school formulas (just some good old fashioned craziness, blood letting, and foaming at the mouth psychosis) sans the untalented music video directors who know how to frame a shot, but don't know jackshit about creating suspense.

ANTBond007
03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
And what is "old school horror"? Horror always changes. The very meaning of the genre is to scare the audience. And guess what? Different generations find different things scary.

Just because you outgrew it doesn't mean "old school horror" is gone. You know why? Because there's no such thing as old school horror. Horror is what it is.

jagged halo
03-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Effective, stylish horror films are fast becoming a thing of the past.
As I've mentioned previously, I'm not entirely comfortable
with the term 'Old School Horror'. It's almost indefinable.

ERIN_LoJ
03-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by ANTBond007
And what is "old school horror"? Horror always changes. The very meaning of the genre is to scare the audience. And guess what? Different generations find different things scary.

Just because you outgrew it doesn't mean "old school horror" is gone. You know why? Because there's no such thing as old school horror. Horror is what it is.

I second the question: What is "old school" in everyone's terms? Movies Ive seen listed as examples...well, I couldnt find that much correlation between them except them being good films.

zombie359
03-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Old School = no big budget special effects

New School = Big budget effects

jagged halo
03-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by zombie359

That's the problem for me when I read an analogy like the one above. The latter of the two = CGI yawn fest 99% of the time.

countchocula
03-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by zombie359

In that case, there's plenty of "old school" films being churned out at present. Wendigo, Session 9, Spider, May, Frailty, House of 1,000 Corpses, Cabin Fever, Ginger Snaps, Ginger Snaps 2, One Hour Photo, Memento, Ringu (and every other Asian genre film), Das Experiment, Bubba Ho-Tep, Blood, Dead Creatures, and countless others.

Do most of us just need something to carp on? Horror freaks shouldn't be so pessimistic. We've got it made right now, especially in comparison to a decade ago.

C-Desecration-
03-25-2004, 06:04 PM
What he said.

Zombie, could you name names with why new school "sucks"? And yeah, new school, old school, etc. are fast becoming pointless terms, but bare with me.
Some people hated Resident Evil. And the new halloween. ANd some other ones. So new school sucks.
Some people hated he original TCM. And Phantasm. And some other ones. So old school sucks.
Aren't we kind of picking and choosing one film out of thousands (one and ONLY one) that fits our point? Like "Oh sure, May, Wendigo, One Hour Photo, Willard, Session 9, Frailty, Spider, Sixth Sense, Memento, Irreversible, Se7en, Ginger Snaps, American Pyscho, Donnie Darko, Butterfly Effect, Ringu, Audition, and Perfect Blue were good movies and all, but what the fuck wa up with Halloween: Resurrection? Stupid rappers: they're in all these new movies. New school sucks."
That could go both ways, by the way.

Corpse Candle
03-26-2004, 05:52 PM
You see that's the problem with a blanket statment with "New school sucks" are you saying all new horror films are no good or that they are not as good as what has gone before?

This is why I dislike non-discript verdicts on films like this sucks or that sucks because it's a bit of cop out comment.

To me at least.

Personaly I get equaly annoyed by people saying there is nothing good in new horror films as people disregaurding older horror.
I have to say I don't find the body of recent horror film up to the same standard as other eras i.e:1970's Amicus.

However I have seen some outstanding new talent come out in the last few years....Andrew Parkinson,Rob Green e.t.c

Jon Lyrik
03-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Hollywood and Horror mainstream has largely hit a dry run, as one person said (though 2004 is shaping up well for films in general). There is a lot of good stuff in new independent horror, but most of the larger budgeted ones are getting more and more mediocre.

The Scream Era has been dead for over three years, but ever since The Ring was a huge hit, a ton of remakes have come up. Willard, TCM, Dawn of the Dead, and soon to come: fucking Suspiria, Amityville Horror. Willard and Ring I liked, but really. Does Hollywood really find it necessary to remake these horror classics? Most of them are universally liked, so it's not like they are remaking a crappy film that had potential. I pray the fad dies soon enough before they start touching the holiest ones like Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street or Evil Dead or Alien. There might be a new golden age over the hill.

But in the independent and foreign circuit, horror is doing well and there is a ton of originality. Somebody else already listed them, so I'm not going to elaborate here.

lowki2k2
03-30-2004, 12:13 PM
every once and a while hollywood comes out with a scary movie that sticks to the old school laws of big tit chicks getting killed by wild vigilantes. (fvsj etc.) but most of scary movie remakes is just a trend that has a touch of hollywood. their are some awesome scary movies out their but dont expect to find them on the big screen, its cool to hear potential remakes but fact is most of these movies will make a disgrace of the horror genre because hollywood is about making money.

Tiggykinz
05-05-2004, 04:58 PM
C-Desecration asked what other rappers have been in horrors well theres been

LL Cool J in Halloween H20
Rah Digga in 13 Ghosts
Busta as you mentioned in Halloween Res
Snoop Dogg in Bones

Thats all I can think of right now theres been R&B stars too like Brandy in 'I still know what you did last summer' and Usher in the 'faculty' so yea they get about:)

I do miss old school horror the 80s stuff that here in England were called 'video nasties' I remember there was a big thing about banning loads of horror films but alot of video stores still had them in the back of the shop. I thought the fact alot were low budget added something, made them more grimey or something hehe. And you wouldnt be sitting watching saying 'oh theres so and so from Dawsons Creek' or 'theres that singer', today there are good ones out there like 'The Ring' 'House of 1000 Corpses' but I do miss that 80s style:)

Complecks
05-05-2004, 11:53 PM
I would love to know how old some of you people are, especially the guy who started the thread. First of all i believe what people are refering to "new school" would be the movies all made for the MTV generation. I really don't know why casting crews get so called "rapper" cameos in, yeah it sucks when you reconize someone like a singer or pop star in a movie. And btw, "bones" wasn't a commercial film (but it still sucked ass). The problem is with these "new school" "MTV" generation horror flicks is that people will confuse good horror with it. If someone asks what type of movies you like and you say "horror" people may think of "scream" or some other crap and say "ugh, horror's shit". This problem is EXACTLY the same as what certain types of music has got now...mostly "hip hop" and "punk". I love both hip hop and punk, but when i say i like hip hop people think of "50 cent, busta ryhmes, eminem" and other commercial acts instead of "Jesht, the streets, braintax, blade and jurasic 5" and when i say punk people think of "blink 182, Busted and good charlotte" instead of real bands like "the sex pistols, the clash and stiff little fingers". I really don't want to get another thread closed down talikng about music, but don't you see the similiarities? Commercialism is ruining a LOT of things, not just horror flicks. Yeah horror and good music still run great in the underground, but both are getting battered on mainstrean turf.

Scary movie was supposed to be a comedy, not a horror. It's just a "piss take" film, and i find it quite funny. No where near as funny as "don't be a menace to south central.." though. "we're a dying race"..."why, because were balck males?"..."no, because all the rappers are taking the good acting jobs!" - shawn wayans