PDA

View Full Version : Horror Paper Help

TheAxeGrinder
04-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the midst of the last semester for the year in college, and I have to write a paper on ethics. I've decided to write it on horror movies, and whether it is ethical to have them. I know it's not much of a topic, but I figured that if I bounced the idea off of you guys, you could help me out with finding info on how to write this paper. Thanks.

the dead one
04-08-2004, 11:30 AM
So you have chosen to tackle the impact that the Horror genre, may have on society. Wether it may be positive or negative?

The history of the Horror film goes back to the days of silent films, example: The Golem, Cabinet of dr. Calagari...The first vampire film that borrowed elements from Bram Stokers Dracula is the 1922 Silent classic Nosferatu. It was an inspired vision of the great Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, His film was considered very unusual coming out of the Greman Expressionist period.
Murnau took full advantage of real locations, such as the carpathian mountians, townes and landscapes. While other directors like Lang and Lubitsch built landscapes and townes in the confines of the studio! Murnau was able to infuse his story with subtle tones of nature: both pure snd twisted.

when you follow the Horror Genre down through the ages from the 1920's to the 1930's to the 1950's to the 1960's then into the 70's Every generation of films reflected social and political events. In the 50's we were dealing with the developement of the Atomic Bomb and the Cold War paranoia was everywhere!!
Films of that time played on our fears, radioactive fallout causing all kinds of chaos on the big screen. Giant Bugs, Giant Spiders a colossal man, and of course Godzilla. These are the direct result of mans ignorance. Plus his inhability to deal with these problems within the framework of these movies. the old story of you reap what you sow!

A great example of times reflecting attituides is the early 70's with the enviormental problems of pollution, echology is a major concern. Themes of nature turning on man...Films like Frogs, Empire of the ants, Day of the Animals...not to mention the film Piranha, which places our military in a bad light. Developing a strain of killer fish to use in the river systems of the north vietnames. It backfires when someone incidently drains a pool at a test site, unleashing them into our lakes and streams...with deadly consequences!

Maybe what you should focus on is the relevance of Horror films as many of them show mans inhumanity to his fellow man.
this genre imho has always given us something to think about.

Maybe thats it in a nut shell... Horror shows the uglier side of humanity. In the universal picture Frankenstien, the real monster was the scientist! The creature he created from dead body parts was a victim as well.

you can make the argument that ceratain individuals in this world try to deny the importance of these films, they help us cope with the Horrors of the real world. That we all must live in!

Then there is George A. Romeros Night Of the Living Dead
there a several themes that are running throught the film.
at that point in US history we had the Vietnam War, Civil Rights and the cold war still loomed. If you examine the core of the film it has the dynamics of the family, People barracaded in a farmhouse. outside a threat awaits them in the form of the recently dead come back to life. the people inside the house are more of a threat to each other, then what is waiting for them outside. the fact that they cant work together leads to their own demise!

Horror Films are a part of our conciousness, we cant deny the darker impulese of man! It is around us everyday, Look at the News at night! Murders,Rapes, Armed robberies, Children killed by shoot outs in their own neighborhoods! The Real Horror of everyday life! Moives are not responsible for the worlds problems! It goes much deeper than that my friend...

For more info on this topic check out you local public library or surf the web. There alot of sites devoted to this subject!

I hope that I have given you something that you can work with
let me know how you make out:) Give em'Hell and GOOD LUCK!

Xipe Totec
04-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Some of my own views:

My opinion is that artist (read "the director") should be let to show whatever he wants in his movie...and try to affect viewers however he wants, it`s up to them to decide wether they watch it or not.

Many people think that kids shouldn`t be allowed to watch violent movies, because it might turn them into psychos. I, however, think that they should be able to watch whatever they want, banning something never does anything good. It usually has quite the opposite effect. No kid who has been raised properly could never become a psycho because of the movies he/she watches.

I`d say more, but I`m actually not in the mood for that kind of subject at the moment and am kinda emotionally empty, so maybe I`ll post some of my views here later....

ERIN_LoJ
04-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Everyone posting made great points so far. Im a bit confused by the theme though. What "exactly" are you looking for??

TheAxeGrinder
04-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by ERIN_LoJ
Everyone posting made great points so far. Im a bit confused by the theme though. What "exactly" are you looking for??

What I'm looking at is the ethical reasoning behind showing horror movies. Is it ethical for us to have them in our society?

martyds761
04-10-2004, 09:00 PM
I did a paper in college along the same lines, only I include video games, movies etc. I spent weeks doing research.

From the "mind" stand point, people needed something to blame and video games, killer/horror movies were the the thing they pointed at. This was during the time of the Columbine Shooting. They also blamed alternative lifestyles like gothic, wicca, etc.

My research also showed that, the media is the major cause people blame movies and games.

This may not help you at all. However, imo, there's no problem having horror movies. Ethics has nothing to do w/ it.

ERIN_LoJ
04-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by TheAxeGrinder
What I'm looking at is the ethical reasoning behind showing horror movies. Is it ethical for us to have them in our society?

As in ethical do you mean is it insulting to people to show them? Or that showing them is BAD for the society, as in promoting violence and so forth?

TheAxeGrinder
04-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ERIN_LoJ
As in ethical do you mean is it insulting to people to show them? Or that showing them is BAD for the society, as in promoting violence and so forth?

Bad for society, as so many talk shows and 'experts' say it is.

ERIN_LoJ
04-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Oh. Well that's an interesting paper for sure. But personally no, I dont see anything wrong with it. Try going to the cap alert site (yes I know, groans) but they do have links buried on there from american pediatric and psychology experts about violence contributing to society and such.