PDA

View Full Version : Best scene that leaves you choked up because of it's power!

Jimmy Da Gent
09-30-2001, 03:15 AM
For me:

PLATOON, near the end when the Soldiers are throwing the dead bodies in to the Hole in SLOW MOTION

PLATOON, the death of Elias is so powerful and dramatic! I nearly cried! http://www.joblo.com/ubb/frown.gif

AMERICAN HISTORY X, where *SPOILER* Danny has been shot and Derek is holding him in his arms. A lot of power there!

GOODFELLAS, the whole sequence while the Piano Exit from "Layla" plays and we see Johnny and his wife slashed in their car,Carbone hangin in the meat truck and the bodies in the dumpster.

THE GODFATHER, where Don Corleone dies. Pure power

Lindsey
09-30-2001, 06:11 PM
The end of Requiem for a Dream.

ak
09-30-2001, 06:14 PM
"Freeeeeedommm"!!!

Also, the scenes in Schindler's List, the girl in the red dress.

[This message has been edited by ak (edited 09-30-2001).]

urbanlegend23
09-30-2001, 06:18 PM
The scene in American Beauty where Jane and Ricky are watching the paper bag fly...that just did it...left me gasping.

Lindsey
09-30-2001, 06:48 PM
I forgot about that one! wow...

SteveSzyk
09-30-2001, 07:32 PM
Without a doubt the ending of Requiem for a Dream.

Antonio
09-30-2001, 07:42 PM
When the characters in MAGNOLIA each sing a lyric to Aimee Mann's haunting song "Wise Up" during the apocalyptic rainstorm. Fucking blew me away!

Jimmy Da Gent
09-30-2001, 09:17 PM
The end of Magnolia also blew me away!

rupert_pupkin
10-01-2001, 03:43 AM
Every scene in Twelve Angry Men.

The 'Enchantment Under the Sea' scene in Back to the Future.
"O.K. guys this is a blues riff in B, watch me for the changes and try to keep up..."

The penultimate scene in Orphans
"She ain't heavy, she's my mother.."

Jimmy Stewart reciting the American Constitution in Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

ilovemovies
10-01-2001, 04:33 AM
In JFK when Kevin Costnor is telling the jury in the courtroom why he doesn't think Lee Harvey Oswald is the assassin and he describes every move of Oswald's.
For pure intensity nothing beats the Russian Roulette scene between Robert DeNiro and Christopher Walkens in The Deer Hunter.
In Aliens where they have that little gizmo that is suppose to tell them where the aliens are and they are getting closer...and closer....and closer and the machine keeps beeping faster and faster as they get closer until according to the machine they are suppose to be in the room but they are not there.
The ending of Contact

Ender
10-01-2001, 05:38 AM
The very end of GLORY. That last frame left quite an impression on me for a very long time. Hell, just thinking about it gets to me.

Vega
10-01-2001, 04:07 PM
The end of Glory, when the bodies are thrown into the ditch

The scene in Gods and Monsters where Clay finally lets Whale paint him

max
10-01-2001, 04:52 PM
Some scenes in DEEP THROAT had me all choked up.

A Canadian ThereWolf
10-01-2001, 04:57 PM
Saving Private Ryan

"Tell me I'm a good man..."

Only the second movie in history that I've ever choked up at and shed a single tear!

pennywise46
10-01-2001, 08:22 PM
American Beuty

***SPOILERS***
when he is remembering all the best things in his life at the end, I always cry.

Fergus
10-01-2001, 09:03 PM
In Rosemary's Baby where Mia Farrow slowly finds out the truth of who her baby really is. I knew the ending already, yet it still got to me.

In The Manchurian Candidate, the climax absolutely chilled me to the bone, shook me up pretty bad.

Dancer in the Dark ended very sad.

Das Boot, powerful stuff that ending.

The Omen ending.

Jimmy Da Gent
10-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Some great chocies

the_prodigy
10-08-2001, 09:13 AM
JOHN CAZALE'S betrayal of AL PACINO in the GODFATHER!!! WOuld you stand for such
a betrayal from your own brother, I'd
cry!!!

the_prodigy
10-08-2001, 09:14 AM
JOHN CAZALE'S betrayal of AL PACINO in the GODFATHER II !!! Would you stand for such
a betrayal from your own brother, I'd
cry!!!

CriticalBill6966
10-08-2001, 06:47 PM
"My name is Ingio Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."

Not to hard on the "Power", but my eyes always water with glee and pride when he says this.

Jimmy Da Gent
10-08-2001, 07:57 PM
That's great Bill but I really didn't see a lot of power in that one IMHO

Deckard
10-08-2001, 08:34 PM
A few "Choke moments" for me are:

John Frankenheimer's SECONDS is one of the most powerful finales ever.

AMORES PERROS has several moments that chocked me up.

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST when the Indian escapes.

GHOST DOG- The mans conviction to his beliefs made the ending a "Choke" for me.

THE WILD BUNCH- at the end when they decide to go for it because its all they have left.

PARIS, TROUT- the rape.

THE QUIET MAN- When he finally decides not to be quiet anymore.

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS- finally free

Thats a few I watched again recently that still pack an emotional punch.

meltingman
10-09-2001, 01:11 AM
http://www.joblo.com/ubb/frown.gif

I'm always fricking crying in the movies.

My kids like to make fun of me, 'cause they know what a fucking pushover I am. They look over at me and see the tears rolling down. Anytime someone does something honorable, or heroic, I break out. Not when people die, but when they sacrifice.

Here are a few:

Joy Luck Club
Ballad of Narayama
Dead Poet's Society
Babe
Hoosiers

You name it, I'm fuckin choked up.

Santino
10-09-2001, 02:58 AM
This one is easy for me...
Forrest Gump- "I miss you so much Jenny..."
Glory- when they storm Fort Wagner only to get blown away.
Braveheart- ...of course...
The Virgin Suicides- there's an ending that will leave you speechless, it's so disturbing
The Godfather- the baptism scene...wow.

And to all of you Magnolia lovers...how on earth did you find yourself even remotely attached enough to the characters to feel moved by the ending?

XCoRyX
10-09-2001, 02:13 PM
Armageddeon- When bruce willis takes the death for ben affleck so he can marry/be with liv tyler and he has to say goodbye.

Terms Of Endearment- When debra winger is dying and has to say goodbye to her kids..