PDA

View Full Version : Best Dream Sequence in a Film?

FlickJunkie
10-17-2001, 05:59 PM
I would say that the best dream sequence is the one in "American Beauty" where Lester dreams of Angela in the bed of roses on the ceiling. There were four of those scenes in the film, though. But the second one is the best one.

I like the whole slow motion thing and the roses falling from the ceiling and I also love Thomas Newman's score that is played in the background of that scene. Usually I don't notice the score all that much in films. But the music in that scene was really incredible and also pretty catchy too.

[This message has been edited by FlickJunkie (edited 10-22-2001).]

Bub
10-17-2001, 06:06 PM
American Beauty and Final Destination

meccajay
10-17-2001, 06:24 PM
Dreamscape *kidding*

oasis
10-17-2001, 07:55 PM
the big lebowski. though they could be considered as acid flashbacks.

Lindsey
10-17-2001, 07:59 PM
My favorite dream sequence has to be from American Beauty. I loved the parts with the rose pedal's falling down.

KornKidJedi
10-17-2001, 09:35 PM
Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Where Heather/Nancy tries to rescue her son from Freddy,and then she sets him on fire, and Freddy transform himself to a demon and explodes.

Ender
10-17-2001, 11:00 PM
Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Pretty much that entire movie was a dream sequence. I particularly liked the scene with the little boy and the claw. Very creepy.

Fergus
10-18-2001, 12:33 AM
The most disturbing one goes to Rosemary's Baby. If you saw it, you know what I'm talking about.

Philip Marlowe
10-18-2001, 01:15 AM
In no order:

-THE 'BURBS-The whole thing with the chainshaw and all that stuff

-SPELLBOUND-there's two dream Sequences in this one that kick-ass the famous surreal painter SALVADOR DALI collabtreated with Hitchcock on them.

-POINT BLANK-A film directed by John Boorman with Lee Marvin having the dream another very surreal dream Sequences.

-INVADERS FROM MARS-If you've seen it you'll know what I mean.
"don't want to give anything away"

-STILL OF THE NIGHT-It happens near the beginning of the film Roy Scheider plays the psychiatrist and the guy tells him about a reacurring dream, very cool.

mattjk_17
10-18-2001, 03:00 AM
I got 2 faves:

Wes Craven's New Nightmare: little boy (dunno what his name is, can't remember) and claw... that was veeeery 'creepy' as Ender put it.

Final Fantasy: How come nobody mentioned this? The dream sequence(s) in this movie are absolutely awesome.

coolc4242
10-20-2001, 06:33 PM
The day dream that Linda Hamilton has in Terminator 2. Where see sees the bomb go off and everything burns.

FlickJunkie
10-20-2001, 07:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by coolc4242:
The day dream that Linda Hamilton has in Terminator 2. Where see sees the bomb go off and everything burns.</font>

Yeah, I agree that was a great "dream sequence" to a great movie.

momentomanic
10-22-2001, 12:11 PM
The grave dream sequence in Carrie certainly packed a wallop the first time I saw it. I actually made an audible noise along with everyone else in the audience. Rarely do I do that. But it is more of a shock and I was immediately laughing at myself. Certainly not of the nightmarish quality of other dream sequences. But still a use of dreams for an effect...

James Logan
10-22-2001, 03:36 PM
It this topic would've been opened three years ago (yeah, I know, long time...), I would've said TERMINATOR 2.
But I guess everybody considers AMERICAN BEAUTY as the new reference for the dream sequences...and I pretty much agree with them. http://www.joblo.com/ubb/smile.gif

dr-movielove
10-22-2001, 03:51 PM
I recently saw Lynch's Mulholland Drive the first day it opened in wide release and it had some brilliant, creative, innovative dream sequences.

The best dream sequence goes to the very ending to Akira Kurosawa's Dreams.

QUENTIN
10-22-2001, 06:08 PM
Jacob's Ladder... or arguably, Taxi Driver

dr-movielove
10-22-2001, 06:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QUENTIN:
or arguably, Taxi Driver </font>

I've heard that at the end of Taxi Driver Travis could've be dreaming(I'm not saying he is and I'm not saying he isn't), but since you do believe he was dreaming..
when exactly does the dream sequence start and end?

o and btw good call on Jacob's Ladder..forgot about that one

edonline
10-22-2001, 07:55 PM
Towards the ending of "The City Of Lost Children", where Miette enters Krank's dream to rescue One's little brother. It's a fantastic scene especially when Miette starts growing older while Krank grows younger while they are dancing.

BorderEevilIII
04-24-2004, 05:53 PM
MAJOR BUMP!

I was gonna create a NEW thread but waaaait this one fits the mold... :D

I just revisted the 1980 classic
ALTERED SATES...
This flick really has chock full of visuals that made you think you did smoke something but you actually didn't :D

MickeyKnox
04-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
American Beauty

ilovemovies
04-24-2004, 06:09 PM
The Girl Next Door - when Hirsch's character day dreams of leaving school with the other kids to go to the beach. Then when he comes by the police officer he starts chasing after him and goes by the side of his car yelling at him to pull over before crashing into another car.

ANavissi500
04-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ilovemovies
The Girl Next Door - when Hirsch's character day dreams of leaving school with the other kids to go to the beach. Then when he comes by the police officer he starts chasing after him and goes by the side of his car yelling at him to pull over before crashing into another car.

That was so realistic. It had the whole crowd going.

I love the dream sequence in The Kid with Charlie Chaplin. Its very simple in its setup and execution, but somewhere in there is a lot of emotion. I loved it!

Squid Vicious
04-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Jonathan Pryce's dreams in Brazil were pretty funked up.

zeppelin
04-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Fellini was the master of the dream sequence. So my choice is pretty much any dream sequence he did. Especially the opening scene of 8 1/2. Or the scene where all the women he's ever "had a thing for" are around him.

Buck Turgidson
04-25-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by MickeyKnox
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

"Doesn't anybody fuckin' knock anymore?!?" :D

The Cars - Moving in Stereo. I tend to salivate when I hear it on the radio...

Most of the last half of Abre Los Ojos

BorderEevilIII
04-25-2004, 03:53 AM
*mild spoiler!*

GRAND CANYON -
Both Kevin Kline & Mary McDonnell has a dream. Kline is flying over L.A....
Then he arrives at the very naked Mary Louise Parker. Mary's dream comes after when she is running in her nightgown at the train station. She finds her son played by the young Jeremy Sisto & hubby Kevin Kline happily waving at her in one of the train cars.

Hannibal21
04-25-2004, 05:20 AM
Spellbound
Mulholland Drive

Mad Maggot
04-25-2004, 06:16 AM
The Empty Times Square dream in Vanilla Sky

Ted Pikul
04-25-2004, 07:22 AM
I like the dream sequence in House On Haunted Hill.

The film may have been schlock but David Lynch would have been proud of that particular shot.

ERIN_LoJ
04-27-2004, 11:13 AM
The Seventh Sign has cool dreams and backflashes

So does the devils advocate

Any of the nightmare films

therealjohng
04-27-2004, 12:17 PM
SPOILERS**********

The dreams Danny has of his wife while playing the trumpet on the Salton Sea. In the movie The Salton Sea.

therealjohng
04-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Another:

The opening dream sequence of WILD STRAWBERRIES.

Reagan
04-27-2004, 05:16 PM
The Times Square sequence in VANILLA SKY

The rescue sequence that ends BRAZIL

Though both of these seem like one big dream anyway

Reagan
04-27-2004, 05:19 PM
The whole movie of BRAZIL is one big dream sequence, but the final rescue sequence is great as you slowly realize that it is all a dream, and that it is probably not going to end well.

Rick-James
04-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by oasis
the big lebowski. though they could be considered as acid flashbacks.

ditto.

syxxpac
04-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Not really a dream, but Johnny Depp's "Lounge Lizard" hallucination in Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas had me in stitches.