PDA

View Full Version : Dracula: Up in Smoke

countchocula
06-25-2004, 10:08 PM
From Fangoria.com...

Variety reports that Back Lot Pictures and Glenn Williamson will produce SE—OR DRACULA for Focus Features release. The film, which will be directed by Cheech Marin (who played a bloodsucker in FROM DUSK TILL DAWN) based on his story, is a sort of variation on SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE in that it is set during the production of the 1931 Spanish-language DRACULA, which was filmed at night on the sets being used for the Bela Lugosi version. This one sounds like itíll have less horror content than SHADOW, though, as the story involves a romance between an American actor and a Hispanic actress. Focus is currently looking for a screenwriter to take on the project.

I don't know what to make of this, but I certainly dig the premise. I hope it doesn't turn out to be just a novelty item.

XCoRyX
06-26-2004, 08:12 AM
um...im confused...is cheech marin trying to make a lame comedy with dracula and weed? or is he trying to do something serious featuring romance... what does up in smoke have to do with a romance connection between an american actor and hispanic.... eh nevermind I tap out for now.

Cronos
06-26-2004, 01:15 PM
hmmm, im not sure about this, it has an interesting plot, but with Marin directing, is this gonna be a comedy or more along the serious lines

i suppose ill have to wait for the cast list before making any decision about this

chasingbanky
06-26-2004, 04:36 PM
I think the count was just alluding to cheech and chong with the title of this thread, but the actual movie isn't going to be called up in smoke. I also don't think it's going to be a comedy, but instead a serious film based on real events.

countchocula
06-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah, the subject heading is just a joke (a bad one apparently). I'm not sure if Marin is going for laughs, chills, or tears. Surely it will boast comedic elements with a title like Senor Dracula,

Elgyn
06-26-2004, 09:09 PM
It sounds like it`ll be a down-to-earth comedy with dramatic elements a'la "Ed Wood".
And I`m guessing it won`t have ANYTHING to do with weed, guys.
Cheech hasn`t been involvedin 'stoner comedy' for years, he`s been in 'Nash Bridges', the "Spy Kids" flicks, and "Paulie" (a kids` movie about a talking parrot) for God`s sakes.
Thogh to be fair, he was also in the kickass "Desperado" and "Once Upon A Time In Mexico".........but again, his characters in those movies weren`t potheads.

DocPhosphorus
07-05-2004, 05:46 PM
...looks terrible... People must just be THROWING out ideas nowadays...

pyscho dude
07-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm also not sure what to think of this as well.