PDA

View Full Version : ZOMBIE HONEYMOON a new indie from the garden state

the dead one
09-26-2004, 01:20 PM
ZOMBIE HONEYMOON

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the cemetery, here comes another zombie film. And, best of all, like 28 DAYS LATER, DAWN OF THE DEAD ’04 and SHAUN OF THE DEAD, writer/director Dave Gebroe’s ZOMBIE HONEYMOON (which we first told you about here) is a good one. The teaser trailer just went live at the film’s official website. The low-budget shocker, shot in New Jersey with a mostly unknown cast, has already won the attention of directors William Lustig, Larry Fessenden and John Landis; the latter called ZOMBIE HONEYMOON "the first truly romantic flesh-eating corpse movie." Despite its cheeky, Troma-esque title, Gebroe treats his subject seriously.

The plot concerns newlyweds Danny (Graham Sibley) and Denise (Tracy Coogan), who try to keep their marriage intact after Danny is attacked by a ghoul and becomes infected. Fango found the film to be both poignant and disturbing, and you can find out for yourself when ZOMBIE HONEYMOON premieres at the Hamptons Film Festival on Long Island, October 20-24. Go to www.hamptonsfilmfest.org to find out more about the screening.

God bless the indies!:)

Fettdog
09-26-2004, 04:48 PM
I was just reading about this in the new Fango - it sounds (like you say) as though this is another 'serious' zombie movie, which can only be a good thing for this resurrected (pun fully intended ;) ) genre!

As for zombie comedies, they don't come much funnier than Shaun Of The Dead, as the UK Schmoes already know, but I urge you Schmoes across the pond to check it out - as well as being very funny, there are tones of in-jokes (e.g. Shaun works at Foree Electrics.....) and the performances from all the leads are top notch! Highly recommended. :)

the dead one
09-30-2004, 01:44 AM
I agree, Shaun of the Dead was the most fun I have had since "Return of the Living Dead" back in the 80's! I say it seems that the better indy efforts are coming from other countries, I thought the asian zombie comedy "Bio Zombie" was fucking great! Check it out!!! Highly recommended!!! :D

dellamorte dellamore
09-30-2004, 12:06 PM
As far as i'm concerned , Bio Zombie is the precursor and the Asian version of Shaun , but with much more of an edge and a darker tone . They are pretty much the same film in a narrative and character sense ( in both films the lead characters are underachieving layabouts who rather play vidgames all day and get drunk at night . The guys in Bio also find creative ways to dispatch the undead with blunt objects and various power tools ) .

I wouldn't doubt if , besides the obvious Romero influence and homages in SOTD , these guys were highly influenced by Bio Zombie . So , for me , Shaun isn't this ingenious masterpiece people think it is , much of it has been done already in the undiscovered gem that is Bio Zombie , although both films are great , i can easily see where alot of Shaun came from .

And , i don't know if it was intentional but one of the key scenes in Shaun was done in Bio's sequel , Bio Cops . The scene on the way to the Winchester .

Allright , back to this film , it doesn't sound the least bit interesting , but it has zombies in it , so i have no choice but to check it out when it becomes available . The premise sounds like a reverse ROTLD 3 , i'm not getting it , i'm not feeling it . And where is Circling the Drain , that indie zom film should have been done by now .

mshulman5
09-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Just saw the trailer, doesn't show much but it is well made. Hope the movie is decent and I hope we can see it some place else besides the Hamptons eventually.

the dead one
10-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by dellamorte dellamore
As far as i'm concerned , Bio Zombie is the precursor and the Asian version of Shaun , but with much more of an edge and a darker tone . They are pretty much the same film in a narrative and character sense ( in both films the lead characters are underachieving layabouts who rather play vidgames all day and get drunk at night . The guys in Bio also find creative ways to dispatch the undead with blunt objects and various power tools ) .

I wouldn't doubt if , besides the obvious Romero influence and homages in SOTD , these guys were highly influenced by Bio Zombie . So , for me , Shaun isn't this ingenious masterpiece people think it is , much of it has been done already in the undiscovered gem that is Bio Zombie , although both films are great , i can easily see where alot of Shaun came from .

And , i don't know if it was intentional but one of the key scenes in Shaun was done in Bio's sequel , Bio Cops . The scene on the way to the Winchester .

Allright , back to this film , it doesn't sound the least bit interesting , but it has zombies in it , so i have no choice but to check it out when it becomes available . The premise sounds like a reverse ROTLD 3 , i'm not getting it , i'm not feeling it . And where is Circling the Drain , that indie zom film should have been done by now .

I tend to agree with you on this score Dell, Shaun took a page or two from Bio Zombie in the influence department. I discovered this very underratde gem by word of mouth, luckily I obtained a copy for under 20 bucks!

Crazy Bee and woody Invincible, Two slackers who run a bootleg VCD Shop...Classic! Jordan Chan and Sam Lee were quite likeable scoundrels, the perfect unlikely heroes of the film. Matt K. Miller as Mr. kui, was the Harry Copper character from Romeros NOTLD, That guy was a real piss! Bio zombie gets better with each viewing. The film moves at a very non-stop comfortable pace, the slick editing kind of reminded me of Romeros handy work. I can say enough of how much I love Bio zombie!!!!!

If you want to know whats up with the indie "Circling the Drain" check this bit of depressing news.

http://www.allthingszombie.com/news.php#1093648980

teenkiller
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I just checked this film out on Chiller last night and it was pretty ho hum. I can't really get into zombie films where there's really only one or two zombies I suppose. After seeing so many subpar zombie flicks including this one, Necropolis, Zombies Gone Wild, Day of the Dead '07, and Night of the Living Dead 3-D I really NEED to see Diary of the Dead on the big screen. I just know George's film is going to kick my ass the way it's supposed to. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

Cronos
02-17-2008, 05:29 AM
I really dug this film, much better than most of the zombie films that have come out in the last few years. I liked the plot and it actually had some kind of characters.

8/10

EvilDeadGirl
02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I couldn't even finish watching 45 minutes of this thing. I caught the end of it on SciFi and ugh just didn't like it. Could the ending have been drug out anymore than it was?