PDA

View Full Version : MirrorMask


RavenBlade
10-06-2004, 01:02 PM
This comes from Dread Central.....


If you were a regular reader at our old site, chances are youíve heard of the film Mirrormask. If, however, youíre anyone else, you probably have not because Sony is doing absolutely nothing to get the word out about this movie.

Itís directed by illustrator Dave McKean (Coraline) and written by the one and only Neil Gaiman, both of which are perfectly good reasons to pay a lot of attention to it. The first trailer for the film has now appeared online over at Sonyís official site for the movie, and I have to say itís like nothing youíve probably seen before, mixing real actors with CGI and other effects. It looks very, very cool and I canít wait for it to hit theaters. Check out the trailer here to see what I mean.

Mirrormask is the story of 15-year old Helena, who dreams of descending into a world ruled by two queens. When the White Queen goes ill, she is giving the task of finding the titular mask in order to restore her back to full health. Though it doesnít sound like straightforward horror, to be sure, anyone familiar with the works of Gaiman and/or McKean knows that it sure wonít be a Disney cartoon.



you can view the trailer at www.mirrormask.com


Tell me this doesn't look good.
It's from the Jim Henson company, yes, the same
company that did Labrynth and The Dark Crystal.
And when you view the trailer, you get the good vibes
of both said films.

Raven

Cronos
10-06-2004, 07:14 PM
this looks amazing, i saw some stills in a magazine along with a short article about it and was surprised i hadnt heard anything about it before

i eagerly await it

RavenBlade
10-11-2004, 05:12 PM
This comes from Darkhorizons.com

MirrorMask centers on a 15-year-old girl named Helena who's a member of a family of circus entertainers and wishes she could run off and join real life. Neil Gaiman and director Dave McKean, are behind the making of this film. While originally set for a direct-to-DVD release, interest in "MirrorMask" has grown significantly as word's spread about the film and a theatrical release is planned for the film in 2005. See the official site for details.


I can't wait to see this.


Raven

Psychocandy
10-11-2004, 06:25 PM
I am in awe of the talents that McKean and Gaiman are in possession of and until I saw this trailer I was 100% intrigued by this project. Be honest though my fellow schmoes. Doesn't this look like it could be the trailer for a surreal Myst style fantasy game rather than a movie? I'm still interested but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting it to look better.

bowieee
10-12-2004, 12:24 PM
I saw a ton of footage at the last Comic con and had the chance to see Gaiman and Mckean talk about their work on the project and this movie is my number 2 most anticipated movie for next year. (Sin City is number 1). I saw some really really interesting sequences in their presentation and I can't emphasize enough how cool this is going to be.

Just for the record though don't expect any muppet/puppetry. This movie is all combined real life footage with animation. THe only thing the Jim Henson company did was put up the money for the picture (which was an extremely low amount I think Gaiman chose to do this pro bono so they could pay mckean) and ask them to do a movie in the same vein as Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal. Apparently they only had like 5 million dollars to work with on this. Maybe even less all I remember is Dave Mckean talking about how it was extremely difficult to get the movie done on their tiny budget.

erinachan
10-12-2004, 12:34 PM
see I saw the trailer and thought it looked amazing, but my friend also saw a ton of footage at the comic-con and he said it looked absolutely terrible and he couldn't even stand watching all the footage...

bowieee
10-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by erinachan
see I saw the trailer and thought it looked amazing, but my friend also saw a ton of footage at the comic-con and he said it looked absolutely terrible and he couldn't even stand watching all the footage...

It was rough footage and you could tell the budget constraints but I really liked what I saw at the con. DId he mention what turned him off about it? I've got full faith behind Mckean and Gaiman on this one.

Avid_Fan
10-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Looks interesting. Some things reminded me of The Cell. I might check it out.

erinachan
10-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by bowieee
It was rough footage and you could tell the budget constraints but I really liked what I saw at the con. DId he mention what turned him off about it? I've got full faith behind Mckean and Gaiman on this one.

he said at first was really excited about it because they kept comparing it to Labyrinth which is one of his favorite movies of all time, but he said he saw no similarities and the special effects were just cheesy and he had seen better on the Sci-Fi channel which I guess isn't saying much? But I still think the trailer was awesome, I haven't been so excited over a trailer since Casshern, so I guess we'll just see.

foxgate2000
10-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I saw an extended trailer for this at the beginning of a movie I recently rented (still trying to remember the movie) and I have to say that although I feel Gaiman is an incredible author, he's a bit overrated (and thats my opinion so don't stone me or anything. I feel the same way about Poppy Z. Brite). Not to say SANDMAN didn't kick ass, and AMERICAN GODS was a phenomenal read. The real draw to this movie for me is Dave McKean who, aside from Dali, is my favorite artist.

Oh, I think the movie was KAENE: THE PROHPECY that had the trailer.

bowieee
10-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by foxgate2000
I saw an extended trailer for this at the beginning of a movie I recently rented (still trying to remember the movie) and I have to say that although I feel Gaiman is an incredible author, he's a bit overrated (and thats my opinion so don't stone me or anything. I feel the same way about Poppy Z. Brite). Not to say SANDMAN didn't kick ass, and AMERICAN GODS was a phenomenal read. The real draw to this movie for me is Dave McKean who, aside from Dali, is my favorite artist.

Oh, I think the movie was KAENE: THE PROHPECY that had the trailer.

That's what makes the movie look so cool. You can see the low budget constraints but it looks like a Mckean art piece come to life. Nifty stuff!

RavenBlade
10-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by foxgate2000
Oh, I think the movie was KAENE: THE PROHPECY that had the trailer.


You would be correct, though I wouldn't say it was an
extended trailer, but it does look mighty impressive
on a bigger screen then it does on a computer monitor.


Raven

bowieee
10-19-2004, 05:49 PM
I was stoked to find the trailer on my Jim Hensons The Storyteller Greek myths edition I just got.

X-Nightcrawler
10-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Not looking forward, seemed like . . . hell, I don't know. BUT, I absolutely fell in love with the music in the trailer. I wanna.

RavenBlade
10-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Not looking forward, seemed like . . . hell, I don't know. BUT, I absolutely fell in love with the music in the trailer. I wanna.

Curious, what didn't you like about the trailer that made
you not look forward to it?

bowieee:
I was stoked to find the trailer on my Jim Hensons The Storyteller Greek myths edition I just got.


Pretty good eh? The trailer I mean, haven't seen The StoryTeller yet, is that good?

I'm still looking forward to this movie, just need to know what date it's being released on is all.

Raven

X-Nightcrawler
10-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by RavenBlade
Curious, what didn't you like about the trailer that made
you not look forward to it? Well, for me it isn't 'trailer had something bad so I don't look forward to it', it's more 'trailer's not exciting enough for me to look forward to it'.

I'm just not that much into 'these' sort of movies. Sure, "Laberynth" was fun, "Dark Crystal" was cute, but still not a fan.

bowieee
10-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by RavenBlade




Pretty good eh? The trailer I mean, haven't seen The StoryTeller yet, is that good?


Raven

Oh it's fantastic. They are all myths retold with the help of Jim Hensons creature shop. Some of them are quite morbid. (especially the greek ones)