PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Is First to Make 'Rent'

edonline
11-08-2004, 01:12 PM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=6746526

Dawson Is First to Make 'Rent'
Mon Nov 8, 2004 11:09 AM ET

By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Rosario Dawson is set to star in "Rent," Revolution's adaptation of Jonathan Larson's Tony-winning musical.

Dawson will play Mimi Marquez, the Latina stripper afflicted with AIDS and a drug problem. Not only is Dawson the first actor to officially sign up for the pic, but she also could end up being the only principal who was not in the original stage cast. Taye Diggs, Jesse L. Martin, Adam Pascal, Anthony Rapp and Idina Menzel are in discussions to reprise their roles in the film.

Chris Columbus, whose directorial credits include "Home Alone" and the first two "Harry Potter" films, is directing "Rent," which will begin production in the spring.

Dawson, last seen in "Shattered Glass" and "The Rundown," just wrapped Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller's crime drama "Sin City" and will next be seen in Oliver Stone's "Alexander."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Jamesadin
11-08-2004, 04:54 PM
I love the musical, hopefully this will be just as good...that would be hard to do, though. :\

I think she would make a good Mimi.

DareDevil
11-08-2004, 06:15 PM
the broadway production is excellent i hope thay can pull it off for the big screen

flowrchild
11-10-2004, 07:21 PM
I absolutely LOVE the play. I've seen it many times and it's a beautiful story with great music, really strikes you in the heart.

But of all people to direct it, Chris Columbus??!! I'm sorry but I don't think the movie has a chance with him directing it. It's a very dark, dismal, intense film, and that guy is incapable of directing anything that isn't sappy manipulative tripe. I honestly can't think of anyone worse to direct it. It had more of a chance with Spike Lee attached to it.

Dawson is a fine choice to play Mimi, but the original cast is playing the rest of the roles. Aren't they a bit too old, at this point? They are about a decade older than the characters they were playing when they got the parts.

This movie just screams train wreck to me on all levels. I love the play so much and I am hoping the movie will do it any kind of justice, but I have a feeling it will be dreadful.