PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between The Theatrical Version and Directors Cut Of Dawn?

Bullet Tooth Tony
11-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Ok so I recently bought the Dawn Of The Dead DVD in the UK, I already have the directors cut but I would like to know...

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE DIRECTORS CUT AND THE THEATRICAL VERSION?

I've tried many fan sites but none seem to mention the differences?

Cheers...in advance!

pyscho dude
11-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Well from my understanding, the directors cut is about 10-15 minutes longer with more character devolpment, and gore. Also the scores differ. The theatrical cut is a mix of some Goblin and Library stock music while the directors cut is all library stock. For a more detailed difference you'll have to ask someone else but those are the main differences.

free
11-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Some of the main gore shots are extended, also. When he shoves the broken croque mallet up the janitor zombie's throat, they show more brain matter shoot out (as with all the head shots, you see more brains), and the best added gore shot was Andy's. You pretty much see his entire head explode.

BUT, if you have the R1 version, a shot of a naked zombie towards the front is cencored out with cgi blood. They say it isn't cencored on the other regions.

TheDeadWalk
11-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by free
Some of the main gore shots are extended, also. When he shoves the broken croque mallet up the janitor zombie's throat, they show more brain matter shoot out (as with all the head shots, you see more brains), and the best added gore shot was Andy's. You pretty much see his entire head explode.

BUT, if you have the R1 version, a shot of a naked zombie towards the front is cencored out with cgi blood. They say it isn't cencored on the other regions.

Me thinks he's talking about the 1978 classic.

The part at the police dock where the fake cop asks everyone for cigarettes isn't supposed to be in the theatrical. That also includes the joke after the group says "No", but then you see them light up after take off.

Bullet Tooth Tony
11-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by TheDeadWalk
Me thinks he's talking about the 1978 classic.

Yeah I am. Sorry I really should have mentioned that.

Differences I noticed...

* In the theatrical version you see the kids getting shot
* When the geezer goes crazy at the begining we see him blow heads off
* The boat scene
* Music changes

I do prefer the Directors Cut. An all time Top 10 Movie for sure.

Thanks for the replies guys.

mshulman5
11-27-2004, 01:51 AM
It's a mixed bag for me. The theatrical version has extended scenes that explain everything alot better. But, the Director's cut has by far the superior score. For that reason I do prefer the director's cut.

By the way...theatrical cut is actually the one Romero preferred...so in reality is is the director's cut. The directors cut was actually the one released to most theatres so really it is the theatrical cut. The reason the theatrical cut is called the theatrical cut it because it was the first version ever screened to a test audience. After that the director's cut was shown.

EVILxxx
01-28-2005, 11:50 AM
One extended scene I noticed in the directors cut is when they close the zombies hand in the sliding door. that isn't shown in the theatrical cut, but is probably due to the fact that is doesn't look so good.