PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Housewives Might Be In Trouble....

mikeyD
12-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Listen to this bs. Heard that companies like Lowes and Kellogs have actually pulled their advertising from Desperate Housewives because they are being pressured by conservative groups that the show is inapporpriate for its timeslot!! These groups are actually pushing for the show to be pulled off the air... which infuriates me because eessentially that would mean they're telling the rest of us what we can and can't watch.. I hope this doesn't happen, but if the DH doesn''t have funding, they don't have funding....

jeo4
12-08-2004, 02:38 PM
I hope this is a fucking joke.

chinton
12-08-2004, 03:31 PM
I dont really like the show but man thats stupid. I mean Im a nice guy but people like these conservatives who are attacking everything on TV and entertainment in general cause they dont like it are pissing me off

flowrchild
12-09-2004, 07:24 AM
The show isn't going anywhere. It's a huge hit making ABC a fuckload of money. Don't worry about it.

mikeyD
12-10-2004, 12:48 PM
I don't know. I wouldn't be so sure. These conservative groups are freakin taking over -- it's scary and infuriating how powerful they can be. But still, these big companies are being just crazy to pull their sponsorship. I've gone into the yahoo finance boards for kellogs and tyson's chicken already and told the execs what I think about this insanity...here's the link (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mb?s=K) if anyone wants to check it out...or post. I'm just mad..and stupified at how this could get so out of control....it's entertainment people! turn the channel if you don't like it!!!!

grrr :-0

jeo4
12-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I posted a thread here about this, but the show has shot to number one in the Nielsens. It is going nowhere, regardless of what tight asses in some corporate boardroom say about it.

ilovemovies
12-11-2004, 05:40 AM
As long as DH is the ratings champion it is, you don't have to worry.

This wouldn't be the first time something like this happened. And it's not going to be the last. Is it stupid? Of coarse. But it's not going to effect the show as long as people watch.

Antonio
12-11-2004, 10:27 AM
First of all, this show is nowhere near as racy as some other similarly-themed series from the past and present.

Secondly, why can't everyone just let us enjoy this series? Why are so many people hoping it will fail? Jealousy, I assume. It's ABC's turn to climb out of the Nielsen basement. With this show, LOST, WIFE SWAP and EXTREME MAKEOVER-HOME EDITION...there's no stopping the network!

The most/worst they will do is move the time slot to 10pmET.

ComeNightfall
12-11-2004, 01:08 PM
I love DH and never miss an episode. It's not as bad as these anal conservative groups think it is. The show has more fans than it does detractors, and if anything, their crying is probably getting even more people to watch.

mikeyD
12-13-2004, 05:34 PM
I hope that all of your are right. DH is one of my favorite shows, too, but I just remember how ugly it got back when NYPD had similar issues -- remember the bare butt scene?! Regardless, these corporate do-gooders are really ticking me off. Stay in your lane, ya know? Such crap and it really fires me up -- I actually am thinking about going into some of the other Yahoo Finance boards for the other companies who pulled ads and letting those wacko investors hear from me. Anyone care to join? I mean Leapfrog? Doesn't Leapfrog run ads during daytime programming? palease!

JCR
12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
It doesn't matter, these groups were after the WWE/F for years unsucessfully- if the show is popular companies will be willing to advertise regardless of what these groups think. The WWE ended up sucessfully suing the PTC; they're not allowed to talk about them any more

Tommy Doyle
12-16-2004, 01:55 AM
It's not going anywhere... ABC even changed Alias' timeslot to keep Desperate Housewives where it is. The original plan was to air DH in Alias' timeslot, until Alias came back and would run it's full season un-interrupted with no re-runs... Since DH has become such a MASSIVE hit, they've actually moved Alias to a different night. That should tell you how successful these conservative groups are in their campaigning.

SykkBoy
12-16-2004, 02:27 AM
What I've done is started writing these companies and explaining I'm a consumer of their products and if they bow to this pressure, I'll launch my own boycott that they are a spineless company with no faith in good television.

I'm amazed at the spindoctoring emails I get in return, but I've also got some very positive ones.