PDA

View Full Version : Zombie movie suggestions/discussion?

X-Nightcrawler
07-21-2005, 02:44 AM
I didn't like zombie movies until recently, when I began watching as many as I could because I seemed to enjoy them. Now, I know which are the 'must-see' zombie movies (I'm still missing Romero's "Day of the Dead" and "Land of the Dead" though) and I'm trying to find the ones that I'm missing.

Can someone tell me of a few good zombie movies out there? If you can, I'm looking particularily for "city" zombie movies. You know, cities full of the undead (like "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" but, you know . . . good).

Thanks in advance.

Rokyracoon68
07-21-2005, 03:33 AM
return of the living dead 1 and 2, they are all out zombie action fun!

Cronos
07-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Return Of The Living Dead
Zombi
Nightmare City (if you can get past the chessiness its a lot of fun)

gah my minds gone blank....ill try and think of some more

X-Nightcrawler
07-21-2005, 01:02 PM
I adore Return of the Living Dead, but I've only heard crap about the sequel, so I'm somewhat weary.
Anyway, thanks, please keep 'em coming.

IamNoOne666
07-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Return Of The Living Dead 2 I used to hate. Then I rewatched it, watching because you love the first one and want to see a sequel to it then your more then likely going to hate it, if you watch as a completely new zombie movie and don't assciate it with the first (which the movie does itself) it's a pretty decent zombie movie.

syxxpac
07-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
I adore Return of the Living Dead, but I've only heard crap about the sequel, so I'm somewhat weary.
Anyway, thanks, please keep 'em coming.

You can skip numero dos and head straight for tres, which could be called Romeo & Juliet...With Zombies.

Also, quite a bit of it takes place in the city, so...

countchocula
07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Shock Waves
Cemetery Man
White Zombie
I Walked With a Zombie
Plague of the Zombies
Dead Creatures (this one is kind of a "city" movie)
Zombi 4: After Death
Zombie Holocaust

There really aren't that many "city" zombie flicks outside of the obvious choices.

X-Nightcrawler
07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by countchocula
[b]There really aren't that many "city" zombie flicks outside of the obvious choices. Thanks for those. But which are the obvious "city" choices? Remember, I'm pretty clueless.

countchocula
07-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Well, you've got Land of the Dead, Zombi (to some extent), and 28 Days Later. Those are the only options that spring to mind.

Shockwave
07-21-2005, 04:13 PM
They arent set in the city X, but try Evil Dead 1 and 2, as well as Army of Darkness. They all kick ass.

Like count said, 28 Days Later and Land of the Dead are your best bets for quality city zombie movies, as well as the remake of Dawn of the Dead (which rocked) and the original Dawn.

countchocula
07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
The Evil Dead trilogy deals with demon possession, not zombification. That's a different subgenre altogether.

Shockwave
07-21-2005, 04:20 PM
shhhhh, im trying to sneek some quality viewing into this.

X-Nightcrawler
07-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Shockwave
shhhhh, im trying to sneek some quality viewing into this. Heynow! I've of course seen and loved all the Evil Deads.

28 Days Later too (eventhough I didn't love that one). Land of the Dead is a good choice, I see. Thanks.

Shockwave
07-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Heynow! I've of course seen and loved all the Evil Deads.

Glad to hear it X, i just didnt want o u to miss out.
:D

Cronos
07-21-2005, 10:01 PM

i watched part 2 a while ago, getting very confused because it was listed as the first one and couldnt understand why i wasnt enjoying it at all......youve heard right since it is a pile of shit

ill second the counts recommendation of

White Zombie
I Walked With a Zombie
Plague of the Zombies

also the Re-Animator films (i have yet to see Bride tho) are amazingly fun

wheresdonnie?
07-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Shaun of the Dead! OK, it does kind of take place in a city (if sububan London counts), there are zombies a plenty and the last 20 minutes are gore gore gore!

adamjohnson
07-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
Return of the Living Dead
Night, Dawn, Day, Land
Re-Animator (?)

Jason13thh
07-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Nightmare City (Lenzi)

zombievictim
07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by adamjohnson
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
Return of the Living Dead
Night, Dawn, Day, Land
Re-Animator (?)

Those and Zombi 2 are the only one's worth mentioning

countchocula
07-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Junk and Bio-Zombie are two Asian quickies that I forgot to mention. They fall under the "camp" category.

zombievictim
07-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Junk and Bio-Zombie are two Asian quickies that I forgot to mention. They fall under the "camp" category.

Those two don't seem like two movies that would get him more interested in these movies. Just my opinion though

countchocula
07-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Well, he's asking for zombie movies. It's best for him to be aware of everything that's out there. If he doesn't want to watch it, he won't.

zombievictim
07-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah thats true. That way he can see a huge range of zombie movies. From great to horrible.

Dark_One79
07-22-2005, 08:04 PM
The Evil Dead trilogy deals with demon possession, not zombification. That's a different subgenre altogether.

This from the guy who suggested 28 Days Later earlier in the thread!

Anyway, how've you been Count?

BTW, I am checking out Bio-Zombie tonight. But before we hit the play button... more tequila.

countchocula
07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
28 Days Later isn't a zombie flick in a literal sense, but since most genre fans recognize it as such, I thought that I would mention it. So lay off! :D

I need to e-mail you. There have been a lot of developments in the world of Count Chocula.

X-Nightcrawler
07-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Just caught "Land of the Dead". Not bad at all. I wasn't expecting to like it but I sure did.

EvilDeadGirl
07-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Return of the Living Dead 3 is awesome!

Bio Zombie is some good asian munchin' fun! :)

Children of the Living Dead is a peice of shit but a good laugh if your real bored. (I like it, don't ask me why.)

TheDeadWalk
07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm gonna get stink of flesh through Netflix.

Does anyone know if that one's good or not?

PackBacker
07-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Very few city zombie flicks come to mind outside of Romero's quadrilogy.

Another vote for Fulci's "Zombie".

Another one worth checking out is "Versus". Good mix of genres but has some zombie fun it it.

Others- "Dead Alive", the DotD remake, "Re-Animator", and Fulci's "The Beyond"

Glad some folks have pointed out that "28 Days Later" isn't a zombie flick. That's my pet peeve- enjoyed the film but those were infected people not zombies.

Klownzilla
07-24-2005, 10:56 PM
My usual suggestions already got mentioned, so I'll toss I Was a Teenage Zombie in. It's goofy as hell, but fun. It's not one of those movies that sets out to be serious and ends up being unintentionally funny. It's a total comedy.

ERIN_LoJ
07-27-2005, 05:47 PM
I didn't like zombie movies until recently, when I began watching as many as I could because I seemed to enjoy them. Now, I know which are the 'must-see' zombie movies (I'm still missing Romero's "Day of the Dead" and "Land of the Dead" though) and I'm trying to find the ones that I'm missing.

Can someone tell me of a few good zombie movies out there? If you can, I'm looking particularily for "city" zombie movies. You know, cities full of the undead (like "Resident Evil: Apocalypse" but, you know . . . good).

Thanks in advance.

I'm still waiting for my 'love' to kick in. I loved the original Night of the Living dead, but found myself dissapointed with the original Dawn. I think one factor was it was so hyped up in my head and nothing could have lived up my expectations. Also didnt like the way the gore was handled. I didnt hate the thing, but it's not something I'd purchase. Day of the Dead was alright but I need to rewatch it to be fair. I saw it on TV late one night while doing something else, catching only bits and pieces. I disliked the remake of NOTLD.

I didnt expect to, but really enjoyed the remake of Dawn. Not the biggest fan of remakes but this one was pretty exciting and addictive. It had flaws, sure, but it was fun overall.

Also really dug 28 Days later, and yes, yes, I know, it's not a zombie mood.

Serpent and the Rainbow was cool. It ignored the Romero type zombies and explored the more original legend type. Trippy and grim flick.

ERIN_LoJ
07-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Rokyracoon68
return of the living dead 1 and 2, they are all out zombie action fun!

I forgot about this one. I saw the second and didnt enjoy it. Again, zombie dissapointment :/ I found it a bit too hokey for my tastes.

syxxpac
07-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by PackBacker
Glad some folks have pointed out that "28 Days Later" isn't a zombie flick. That's my pet peeve- enjoyed the film but those were infected people not zombies.

It is and it isn't, depending on what definition of "zombie" you're going by. A reanimated corpse? No. An automaton? Yes.

LoomisFan
07-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Didn't Mister Twister make a flick called "The Retarded Dead?"
Sounds like a classic, to me.
:D

PMcG No.6
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
How about Fulci's 'City of the Living Dead'(Gates of Hell)? I didnt see that mentioned. I saw 'The Beyond' listed, that's a good one.

Luke-Abbott
07-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I'd recommend Shaun of the Dead, a true classic. It has everything; comedy, drama, romance, action and, of course, zombies, lots of zombies.

Its a great film, worth checking out.

X-Nightcrawler
07-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Luke-Abbott
I'd recommend Shaun of the Dead, a true classic. It has everything; comedy, drama, romance, action and, of course, zombies, lots of zombies.

Its a great film, worth checking out. Loved Shaun. It's an awesome movie.

Other than "Land", I haven't been able to check many of the ones mentioned here. Eventhough I spotted "The Serpent And The Rainbow" and "The Beyond" in my local BlockBuster. Might pick them up soon.