PDA

View Full Version : 16:9/Full Screen

The UserName
07-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey guys I have a dillema.

I shot half a movie in 16:9, the toher half in full screen. FUCCCCCK.

Anyway I can convert one to the other?

What do you reccomend i do?

Cronos
07-31-2005, 02:45 AM
errr, as far as i know you cannot turn FS into 16:9, are you using digital? if so you could try adding bars to the top and bottom of the FS section but then it wouldnt be anamorphc

although ive only started reading all about camcorders and stuff recently so i might be wrong

Donnie_Darko
07-31-2005, 03:17 AM
Does the phrase "screwed" ring a bell?

It depends really. When you edit... you are editing digitally I obviously assume... you can set the Pan/Crop event to the ratio you desire. That way, all of your shots have the proper aspect ratio.

I'm not sure what you were shooting on/with, but I don't think you'll be completely screwed... or are you?

Tuukka
07-31-2005, 08:33 AM
You can do the converting on any editing software. You are stuck with 16:9, but hopefully that's what you were aiming for.

You can create letterbox 16:9 by simply cropping the fullscreen footage from the top and the bottom, or you can create anamorphic 16:9 by expanding the full screen footage vertically until it's on the same aspect ratio as your 16:9 footage.

Both ways are easy to do.

The UserName
08-15-2005, 08:41 AM
hm, yeah, i was aiming for 16:9. how exactly would i make full screen 16:9? what would be the best looking way?

Tuukka
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by The UserName
hm, yeah, i was aiming for 16:9. how exactly would i make full screen 16:9? what would be the best looking way?

You have to stretch the full screen picture vertically until it's in the right aspect ratio. You have to strech it to 1.33, when the original is 1.00.

Suhlang
08-15-2005, 12:38 PM
It's been awhile since Film School, but I don't believe you can make Full Screen 16:9. The only way you can make FS to 16:9 is to stretch it horizontally and that would cause distortion. Maybe if you were to take the 16:9 and crop it to FS (which loses a bit on each end) then after it is all edited and finalized you have the lab lay it down on negative. You will be losing a lot of image in all this, for now you will lose some of the top and bottom. Now this is assuming you were wanting to make a film copy. If you are just trying to make it digital and keep it digital just crop the final part in post. Either way, you will be losing image to match these frames.

On a note: I'm nost sure I understand what Tuukka was talking about stretching Full Screen vertically for widescreen ratio. Assumed he means horizontally.

Tuukka
08-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Suhlang
On a note: I'm nost sure I understand what Tuukka was talking about stretching Full Screen vertically for widescreen ratio. Assumed he means horizontally.

Nope, you have to do it vertically. I've done it like 100 times. This way you achieve anamorphic widescreen instead of letterbox.

The point is that the project you are editing on is a widescreen project. When you bring fullscreen footage to it, the footage is vertically flattened. So you have to stretch it vertically. When you do that, a part of the picture information "disappears" from the top and the bottom, leading to real, anamorphic widescreen.

This process blurs the picture a bit. But that's unlikely a problem in this case. In general the minor blur is barely noticeable, unless you are aiming for really high quality picture.

But if you aim for that, you shouldn't make mistakes like shooting on two different aspect ratios.