PDA

View Full Version : Does Oldboy live up to the hype? Oh Yes

chinton
09-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Hey you guys so I finally managed to see Oldboy. Now I was kind of nervous about the movie as its been hyped up the wazoo including my friends who were insisting that I see it. But it sounded interesting and Tarantino went gaga over it so I thought I would give it a chance.

Wow I am so glad I did. Man does this movie live up to the hype. I havent been able to get it out of my head. You know occasionally I see a film like Magnolia, or Requiem For A Dream among many others that gives me faith in cinema once again. This is one of those movie. If you havent seen please do. Everybody probably knows the story by now but essentially its about a drunken man who one night mysteriously gets snatched away and locked ina hotel like room for fifteen years. After fifteen years hes let out and given five days to find out why this happened to him and who imprisoned him. Too say anything more would spoil the fun.

What absolutely compelling film. I ahvent seen anything else by this director but there are so many shots, transitions, sequences in this film that are very memorbale, the writing is extremely good with fascinating characters, and more importantly youll never know where its going. The twists were quite impressive and derpessing.

I also didnt think it was as violent as everyone kept saying. I mean it has blood but it was surprisngly restrained at times. Point is this a great film. Please see it as it lives up to the hype.

9.5/10

daddiefatsacks
09-20-2005, 05:12 PM
is this for rent in canada yet?

Cronos
09-20-2005, 05:43 PM
just recently got a hold of a copy and will be watching soon

Luke-Abbott
09-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Oldboy is a great film. The twists are very percuilar to say the least but you'll never be able to get them out of your head even if you try. A truly compelling watch, if any of you get the chance to see it - do so now!!

Fisting Ackbar
09-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, good you've joined the club :cool:

Seen it three times now and like that Kylie Minogue song, I can't get it out of my head.

chinton
09-20-2005, 11:11 PM
ya thats another thing i was really impresse d with in the film the score

Criminal Rock
09-20-2005, 11:47 PM
I actually bought the Korean version DVD with English subs through Ebay for like 11 dollars (region 0) it was well worth the buy to say the least. A great revenge flick.

Asian flicks are beginning to impress me a lot more then American flicks now-a-days.

Mr-Blonde
09-20-2005, 11:56 PM
I thought the film was very good but not as perfect as some claim. Yes it was brilliantly directed. The cinematography, transiitions, editing, and the performances were all great as was the story generally.

I felt at times that the story was a bit too convoluted to take seriously. Just one man's opinion. Fortunately the visceral intensity of the film alone more than makes up for it.

7/10

chinton
09-21-2005, 12:38 AM
To me the twsits were the most refreshing part of the film

I think thats why I liked it so much. I loved how it wasnt just a twist at the end to be shocking but rather an emotional twist. So few movies these days do this. When you learn the final revlations at the end of the film whats shocking is not just that its unexpected but rather it shows people in whole new lights. We knew the lead bad guy was nasty but it never occours to the audience how twisted and out of whack the characters relationships are. Also the finla scene where our main character "solves" the problem in hypnotism is absolutely disturbing. Ive seen a lot of revelations in movies that I found surprising but I havent found a lot that I cant get out of my head.

Mr-Blonde
09-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Don't get me wrong-- I totally dug the twist ending. It makes M. Night Shyamalan's films look pedestrian in comparison. :cool:

chinton
09-21-2005, 12:46 AM
True but to me what was memorable about the revelations at the end of Oldboy is not just that they were suprising. They were. But rather that it was more emotionally shocking. Therefore, to me even thopugh I saw it last night its hard to get the ending out of my head. How it reveals the true nature of everything is shocking and hard to forget. Does that make any sense?

Mr-Blonde
09-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Yes absolutely. I guess that I didn't feel as strong of an emotional bond towards the characters as you.

I can't believe they are going to remake and Americanize this film. Well actually I can but I think it will only be diminished by doing so.

chinton
09-21-2005, 01:17 AM
I dont g et the remake either. I mean how could they possibly pull off the last 30 minutes to American audiences.

daddiefatsacks
09-21-2005, 01:22 AM
so....canada......anyone?

TheDeadWalk
09-21-2005, 01:42 AM
I didn't really think Oldboy was all that. There was some great cinematography and story telling, but I felt let down by some long periods where the film felt quite milquetoast.

chinton
09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
I have no idea what milequetoast.

I have no idea about Canada.

I must say I was nervous about watching this. These same friends reccomended Ichi The Killer which the more I think about the more overrated it becomes.

dollface
09-21-2005, 11:50 AM
"milquetoast" means "mediocre" or "lame"

which this film is not, IMO, I give it a 8/10 for creativity and the extent of human cruelty and need for revenge

JCPhoenix
09-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by daddiefatsacks

If I were you, I'd just stop by Pacific Mall and buy a copy for $5-8. That's what I did, several months ago. So far, I haven't seen it to rent in any videostores I've been in and I doubt that I ever will.

It's worth it to buy a copy from Pacific Mall or some other random cheap Asian mall.

Skysaber
09-22-2005, 08:29 PM
I personally thought the movie was mediocre. The plot was unique but it was anti-climatic for me. I don't know, I just wasn't feelin' it.

Lazy Boy
09-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Skysaber
I personally thought the movie was mediocre. The plot was unique but it was anti-climatic for me. I don't know, I just wasn't feelin' it.

My thoughts exactly. The setup was intriguing, but I didn't care about his quest for vengeance by the end -- opposed to, say, The Bride in Kill Bill.

Joshmo
09-24-2005, 06:50 PM
MAJOR MASSIVE SPOILERSS

COMING

RIGHT

NOW

What made the movie worth watching was the directing and editing. The plot for me was medicore.

Now I dont know if its the culture clash and the whole honor thing that I didnt jive with, but I would just assume have had the baddie tell my daughter shes been banging her father before I would grovel at that guys feet, lick his shoes, bark like a dog and...this made it really unbelievable....cut out my own tongue so he wouldnt tell my daughter she is my daughter? Tell away... I also didnt buy into the baddie as a young guy allowing his sister to kill herself cause they had incest and she got pregnant.. again..just unreal....still worth a rent though 6.5/10

Grim H.
09-24-2005, 10:09 PM
I finally got my hands on a copy, after searching, to no avail, at several Best Buys. I picked it up the local bookstore (which had an excellent foreign section, I must remember for future references)

Anyway, I'm not going to go back over the film here, since I'm sure everyone in this thread has either seen it, or knows the plot by now. Suffice it to say it blew me away, from both a psychological perspective and a filmmaking one...WOW

Oldboy: 9/10

chinton
09-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Spoilers!!!

I assumed that him groveling ebfore thr abddie not to reveal the truth to the sister connected to the idea of honor or saving face. Honestly Im not an expert in the culture but thats why I thought so it made sense to me. Also the film was such in the spirit of operatic tale of revenge like Kill Bill that it just made sense to me. Also I was totally engrossed in the lead guys character. I just thought he a dn his journey was fascianitng

Grim H.
09-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Is anyone else scared of the fact that the guy set to direct the american remake is also set to direct The Fast and The Furious 3?

Not that it matters, I probably won't see it either way...

Cyd V
09-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by daddiefatsacks

Yeah it's available here...

If your having trouble finding it then rent it from zip.ca...

Fisting Ackbar
09-25-2005, 11:04 PM
MAJOR SPOILERS!

Now I dont know if its the culture clash and the whole honor thing that I didnt jive with, but I would just assume have had the baddie tell my daughter shes been banging her father before I would grovel at that guys feet, lick his shoes, bark like a dog and...this made it really unbelievable....cut out my own tongue so he wouldnt tell my daughter she is my daughter? Tell away...

I was told (ie, read somewhere) that incest really is the worst thing you can do in Korea, and considering how much Daesu cared for his girlfriend/daughter, I found the lengths he was prepared to go (so she wouldn't find out) credible.

also didnt buy into the baddie as a young guy allowing his sister to kill herself cause they had incest and she got pregnant.. again..just unreal....

The guy seemed clearly established as a babyface and kind of a pussy in his younger years...and considering how much it ended up haunting him, not far-fetched in my book.

END SPOILERS

Cronos
09-25-2005, 11:15 PM
finally got to see Oldboy and does it live up to the hype? yes it does and for me at least surpassed it. the films beautiful, from the acting which was great all round and very believable to the excellent camera work and score. the films soundtrack really surprised me, i wasnt expecting it to have the beautiful classical score it did and it really added to the films feel

10/10

Mr-Blonde
09-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Joshmo
MAJOR MASSIVE SPOILERSS

COMING

RIGHT

NOW

What made the movie worth watching was the directing and editing. The plot for me was medicore.

Now I dont know if its the culture clash and the whole honor thing that I didnt jive with, but I would just assume have had the baddie tell my daughter shes been banging her father before I would grovel at that guys feet, lick his shoes, bark like a dog and...this made it really unbelievable....cut out my own tongue so he wouldnt tell my daughter she is my daughter? Tell away... I also didnt buy into the baddie as a young guy allowing his sister to kill herself cause they had incest and she got pregnant.. again..just unreal....still worth a rent though 6.5/10

SPOILERS

Another reason why I think that an Americanized version is a bad idea. Most folks will wonder why the protagonist freaks out so bad at the end and goes to such lengths to keep the antagonist quiet. After all, he was tricked into sleeping with his daughter, why maim yourself over it?

chinton
09-26-2005, 10:47 PM
well obviously it wont work. Different cultures different values

morricone
09-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Does it live up to the hype?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YESSS!
http://austinwm.club.fr/HTLM/Photos/P/Paul_Bearer/Paul_Bearer_01.jpg

Grim H.
09-27-2005, 12:07 AM
I find that picture to be reeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyy unsettling. Seriously...WTF?!

:( :( :(

morricone
09-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Grim H.

Paul Bearer is da shit! :cool:

TheDeadWalk
09-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Grim H.

That was one of Paul Bearer's catch phrases.

:) :) :)

turn that frown upside down

Digifruitella
09-29-2005, 09:08 PM
SPOILER.

Did I understand the twists right?

the main character was locked up for 15 years because of the rumor he started about (the guy who shut him down for 15 years in the room) sleeping with his own sister at catholic school. (he's the young guy in the flashback scene that says "I've got a date with xxx" right?)

but i dont understand did he really sleep with his sister "before" the rumor started? or he just 'played' with her, like we get to see with them together alone, him taking pics and then etc..on her)

so as the rumors spread, he killed her? I didnt get that part.

so to revenge that, he found 'oldboy' and locked him up for 15 years, then after that they hypnotized both him and his daughter so they would 're-play' what happened in cathjolic school between that photographer guy and his sister, = incest.

Correct?

SPOILER END.

chinton
09-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Spoilers!!!!!

Basically yes this about a man who holds some VERY SERIOUS grudges. He did sleep with his sister and then let his sister kill herse;f when she thought she was pregnant.

As far as Woo-Jins ultimate revenge it is partly recreating that but you seem to not realize an important point. Incest is considered the lowest thing to do in that culture or at least I was told. Therefore manipulating all these events to have the main character sleep with his sister is really screwed up especially when you consider he spread rumors that were true.

Here a question for the pople who saw it.

How do you interpret the final expression? Did the hypnotism work? Did the "monster" die or not?

I have my own interpretations but discuss