Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Books/Comics (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rowling ‘heartbroken, euphoric’ as Potter ends (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108043)

God of War 02-06-2007 08:26 PM

Rowling ‘heartbroken, euphoric’ as Potter ends

NEW YORK - How does J.K. Rowling feel now that she has finished the seventh and final Harry Potter book? As the author herself confided Tuesday on her Web site, “Charles Dickens put it better than I ever could”:

“It would concern the reader little, perhaps, to know how sorrowfully the pen is laid down at the close of a two-years’ imaginative task; or how an Author feels as if he were dismissing some portion of himself into the shadowy world, when a crowd of the creatures of his brain are going from him for ever,” reads the passage from Dickens’ preface to “David Copperfield.”

Adds Rowling: “To which I can only sigh, try seventeen years, Charles.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17008981/

jolanar 02-06-2007 09:57 PM

I smell a sequel!

*crosses fingers*

mutesaint 02-14-2007 09:41 AM

Heres the problem I see. What is shee going to do now? After Potter its almost impossible for her to write anything new. Everything she makes will always be compared to Potter. Its like Orsen Wells with Citizen Kane. I actually feel bad for Rowling for having written this (great) series.

Lost in Space 02-14-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jolanar
I smell a sequel!

*crosses fingers*

if there is a sequal i will be upset
then proceed to blow my head off.

Badbird 02-14-2007 11:42 PM

I just think the whole thing with her is an increadible story. She was on freaking wellfare when she started writing the first book. Now she's worth over a billion dollars.

Amazing.

cocksmokinclerk 02-15-2007 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Badbird
I just think the whole thing with her is an increadible story. She was on freaking wellfare when she started writing the first book. Now she's worth over a billion dollars.

Amazing.

ol' dirty bastard was still on welfare when he was rich! but i agree with mutesaint its gonna be hard for her to move on after this

bourahioro 02-15-2007 09:02 AM

I'm not so sure it would be hard for her to move on after this last Potter book...

IF Potter lives at the end of this book, obviously he would end up a teacher or an auror or something of the like...and while Voldemort will die (or will he?) there are still other dark wizards, and or adventures for Potter to overcome. I know it might sound sacreligeous but if Rowling took a break for like 7 - 10 years, and did a book on Potter as an adult (maybe even a father of his own highly adventurous kid) she could make another kabillion dollars.

I'd buy it, and you know you would too:D

cocksmokinclerk 02-15-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bourahioro
i'll admit i would

mutesaint 02-15-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bourahioro
I'm not so sure it would be hard for her to move on after this last Potter book...

IF Potter lives at the end of this book, obviously he would end up a teacher or an auror or something of the like...and while Voldemort will die (or will he?) there are still other dark wizards, and or adventures for Potter to overcome. I know it might sound sacreligeous but if Rowling took a break for like 7 - 10 years, and did a book on Potter as an adult (maybe even a father of his own highly adventurous kid) she could make another kabillion dollars.

I meant non-potter related stories. Anything potter will be a huge success, but she has said that she is walking away from it(at least I think she said that)

yorrick brown 02-16-2007 12:51 AM

theres no way.her next work or anything after will do as well.
its a catch 22.it will always be put up next to harry potter.

she`ll do another potter,even the author of bridget jones is returning to do part 3.

Cronos 02-16-2007 12:44 PM

i doubt she's heartbroken since she hates Harry Potter, and she's probably euphoric because she'll never have to write another book about him :p

Asa_Phelps 02-16-2007 06:44 PM

I definitely think she'd have a hard time writing anything not related to Harry Potter. But she can do so much more than write about Harry. What about a novel about the Marauders . . you know like the Hobbit styles.

jolanar 02-16-2007 09:25 PM

I think it would be really cool if she took a few years off and then came back with a Albus Dumbledore prequel series. Dumbledore just rocks in general and I could see books about him maturing being really good. They could be about his youth and time at Hogwartz and then end with his dealings with Voldemort and naturally lead into the first Harry Potter book.

Lost in Space 02-18-2007 12:30 PM

i fuckin hate harry potter. She is obviously euphoric because she does not have to write about that prick again

bourahioro 03-07-2007 03:34 PM

4 more motherfuckin' months til the last Potter book, I'm stoked!!!
Sad to see the series end, but this book will be a real fucking page turner!

MISFITS_Fiend 03-08-2007 01:38 PM

Why would she have to write anything else? As stated before, she's now worth over a billion dollars (with no end in sight due to the movies and continued book sales). From what I understand, the only reason she first wrote the books was for money and to continue the stories she told her children. If she never wanted to write again, it would be totally understandable...unfortunate, but understandable.

mutesaint 03-08-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MISFITS_Fiend
Why would she have to write anything else? As stated before, she's now worth over a billion dollars (with no end in sight due to the movies and continued book sales). From what I understand, the only reason she first wrote the books was for money and to continue the stories she told her children. If she never wanted to write again, it would be totally understandable...unfortunate, but understandable.

I dont imagine that she only writes stories for a living. I have always been of the opinion that writers write because they have a need to write. They don't just sit on their ass doing nothing when they don't need a paycheck. They have these ideas in their heads flying around and if they don't gfet them on paper they dont feel right.

X-Nightcrawler 03-08-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mutesaint
Heres the problem I see. What is shee going to do now? After
Lay back, jump into her pool of golden coins like Scrooge McDuck and wait until she sees how wonderful the movies turn out to be.

But I wish her a happy rest-of-her-life now that she's done with Potter in case she doesn't choose to start a new series.

jolanar 03-09-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Lay back, jump into her pool of golden coins like Scrooge McDuck and wait until she sees how wonderful the movies turn out to be.

But I wish her a happy rest-of-her-life now that she's done with Potter in case she doesn't choose to start a new series.

I'm sure she'll get enough pressure from fans and book deal offers that she will eventually do another book.

Besides, the money she makes now will feed generations of her family and the more books she writes another generation will go without having to work for bread.

MISFITS_Fiend 03-09-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

I dont imagine that she only writes stories for a living. I have always been of the opinion that writers write because they have a need to write. They don't just sit on their ass doing nothing when they don't need a paycheck. They have these ideas in their heads flying around and if they don't gfet them on paper they dont feel right.
Yeah, I get that...I just noticed that a lot of the posts here made it sound like her life is over now that the Harry Potter books are done. I was just pointing out that she could conceivably sit around all day eating Bon-bons with the bank she's receiving from royalties. However, I don't see her sitting on her ass doing nothing either; I was just pointing out that she could if she wanted.

TheMazVolta 03-24-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Heres the problem I see. What is shee going to do now? After Potter its almost impossible for her to write anything new. Everything she makes will always be compared to Potter. Its like Orsen Wells with Citizen Kane. I actually feel bad for Rowling for having written this (great) series.

She could always use a pen-name.