Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Books/Comics (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New to Collecting (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109209)

Mory's Wigs 03-21-2007 08:07 PM

New to Collecting

I am new to collecting comic books and just visited a comic store the other day. I came across the Ulitmate Spiderman Hard Cover Books ($29.99 each) and thought they looked really cool.

For those who have read them:

1) How many volumes are there?

2) Would you recommend them?

I am into the old super hero comics, that are recreated (Spiderman, Batman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.) such as these Ultimate Spiderman books and like the idea of hard cover comic books ( a lot of comics in 1 book). So that being said, can you recommend anything?

Much appreciated!!!!

Sh8dy Milkman 03-22-2007 07:47 PM

If you're really in to superheroes you should check out Invincible. It starts out like a typical teen hero comic, but by the second volume it takes a completely new approach to the genre. You should also look for the Mini-series Meltdown. There are only 2 volumes and its premise is as followed:

MELTDOWN tells the story of a reluctant super-hero whose own fire- based powers are killing him; melting him down from within. He's only got 7 days left to put his life in order, and to make amends for all of his regrets.

Both of these series have great stories/writing and a great deal of well thought out action.

Powerslave 03-22-2007 08:09 PM

I'll second the Invincible recommendation. GREAT series, well written with amazing art. Very addictive. Plus it comes in hardcover 'Ultimate Collections'.

Book 1
Book 2

bourahioro 03-23-2007 06:55 AM

Re: New to Collecting

Quote:

Originally posted by Mory's Wigs
I am new to collecting comic books and just visited a comic store the other day. I came across the Ulitmate Spiderman Hard Cover Books ($29.99 each) and thought they looked really cool.

For those who have read them:

1) How many volumes are there?

2) Would you recommend them?

I am into the old super hero comics, that are recreated (Spiderman, Batman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.) such as these Ultimate Spiderman books and like the idea of hard cover comic books ( a lot of comics in 1 book). So that being said, can you recommend anything?

Much appreciated!!!!

I've read Ultimate Spiderman, and that series is awesome, the storyline is awesome, the art is awesome (some of Mark Bagley's best work).

I think you can only get the hardcovers up to a certain point (there are like 17 or more volumes).

I highly recommend them.

go to your local comic store and look around, there are likely many different volumes TBPs, (graphic novels) - I like stuff by Top Cow, Vertigo, and Marvel - with a little Image thrown in there as well.

Marvel has "Essential" TPBs, which have 40 or more issues collected into one book, you can get Spiderman, Wolverine, X-Men, Hulk, etc etc.

Danger^Cart 03-23-2007 11:38 PM

NO! DON'T LISTEN TO THESE FOOLS!

Waves Hand... These aren't the comics you're looking for...

They're trying to lure you over to Marvel, when DC is so much more powerful...

Succumb to the DC...only then can you realize your true potential!

Marvel is plagued by flawed continuity and pompous writers! Search your feelings, you know it to be true...

DC and Vertigo are your friends. To start with, I would reccommend these:

- Watchmen (arguably best comic ever written)
- Anything by Alan Moore, really (From Hell, Swamp Thing; look him up)
- The Long Halloween (Batman)
- Dark Victory (Batman)
- The Dark Knight Returns (Batman)
- Knightfall (Collected in three volumes)
- Hulk: Grey (Hulk)
- Hellblazer

Mory's Wigs 03-28-2007 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions....I really appreciate it!!

Anyone heard if they are going to do an Ultimate Punisher series?

chasingbanky 03-28-2007 02:38 PM

I know nothing of a series, but the Ultimate Punisher has popped up in the Ultimate Spiderman books.

PS: DC? really? More like Batman and friends.

PPS: Also if you like horror, or zombies check out the Walking Dead.

ScottCarmichael 03-30-2007 09:30 PM

What comics to read

If you like that Ultimate Spiderman series, you should check out The Ultimates as well. It's like a re-hash of the Avengers.

Also The New Avengers series is pretty cool.
As for DC, check out the Identity Crisis series, or Seven Soldiers. Both pretty solid reads.