Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Official UFC/PRIDE Fighting/MMA Thread (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118495)

Criminal Rock 02-04-2006 12:02 AM

Official UFC/PRIDE Fighting/MMA Thread

Hereís the Fight Card for UFC 57:

1. Keith Jardine Vs. Mike Whitehead
2. Nick Diaz Vs. Joe Riggs
3. Jeff Monson Vs. Branden Lee Hinkle
4. Paul Buentello Vs. Gilbert Aldana
5. Brandon Vera Vs. Justin Eilers
6. Alessio Sakara Vs. Elvis Sinosic
7. Renato Sobral Vs. Mike Van Arsdale
8. Frank Mir Vs. Marcio Cruz
9. Liddell Vs. Couture

Alright... Liddell and Couture fight for the belt tomorrow for the third time. I think Liddell will win. My prediction is that heíll knock him out in the late first, or early second round.

XCoRyX 02-04-2006 03:04 AM

I tried starting an MMA thread like a year ago, I think we'll be the only 2 posting in this but who knows.

My Predictions-

Liddell over Couture
Sakara over Sinosic
Cruz over Mir
Babalu over Van Arsdale
Riggs over Diaz
Eilers over Vera
Jardine over Whitehead
Monson over Hinkle
Aldana over Buentello

Nachokoolaid 02-04-2006 05:35 PM

I'm watching this in the 164" projection screen, baby. WOOO!!!!

UFC is the new boxing. On to my picks.

Liddell over Couture

Sakara over Sinosic

Cruz over Mir

Babalu over Van Arsdale

Diaz over Riggs

Eilers over Vera

Jardine over Whitehead

Monson over Hinkle

Buentello over Aldana

Anyone know the after card?

Criminal Rock 02-04-2006 07:31 PM

My Picks:

1. Keith over Whitehead 3rd round submission
2. Joe over Nick KO 2nd round
3. Jeff over Branden 2nd round knockout
4. Paul over Gilbert 2nd round knockout
5. Brandon over Justin 2nd round submission
6. Alessio over Elvis 1st round knockout
7. Iím shooting for Mike but I think Babalu is going to win by 3rd submission
8. Frank over Marcio 3rd round submission
9. Liddell over Couture KO in 3rd round

ICP RULZ 02-04-2006 08:48 PM

I was pretty pissed when I found out my satelliete provider wasen't showing it so i couldn't watch it until i found out they were showing Pride :Fist of Fury 2 and so now im not as mad but still....And yeah, i remember someone created a thread a while ago but no one really posted in it.

Peace,
Matt

Criminal Rock 02-05-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by me
My Picks:

1. Keith over Whitehead 3rd round submission
2. Joe over Nick KO 2nd round
3. Jeff over Branden 2nd round knockout
4. Paul over Gilbert 2nd round knockout
5. Brandon over Justin 2nd round submission
6. Alessio over Elvis 1st round knockout
7. Iím shooting for Mike but I think Babalu is going to win by 3rd submission
8. Frank over Marcio 3rd round submission
9. Liddell over Couture KO in 3rd round

I was pretty much right on for everything except the Frank and Marcio fight, (also excluding my EOM predictions...) but damn, what great bouts...

Nachokoolaid 02-05-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nachokoolaid
I'm watching this in the 164" projection screen, baby. WOOO!!!!

UFC is the new boxing. On to my picks.

Liddell over Couture

Sakara over Sinosic

Cruz over Mir

Babalu over Van Arsdale

Diaz over Riggs

Eilers over Vera

Jardine over Whitehead

Monson over Hinkle

Buentello over Aldana

Anyone know the after card?

Well, the only ones I missed were Vera/Eilers, and Diaz/Riggs.

XCoRyX 02-07-2006 03:43 AM

Eh got 1 of my picks wrong but I did a solid enough job of predicting then often.

Good god Gilbert Aldana has an incredible chin.

Criminal Rock 02-15-2006 03:28 PM

Alright, I figured I should keep this thread alive... Hereís the next show:

March 4, PPV, "USA vs. CANADA"

FIGHT CARD

(USA left, CANADA right)

1. Sanchez vs. Alessio
2. Murphy vs. Midoux
3. Lambert vs. MacDonald
4. Florien vs. Stout
5. Edwards vs. Hominick
6. Swick vs. Vigneault
7. Marquardt vs. Doerksen
8. BJ Penn vs. St. Pierre
9. Franklin vs. Louiseau

XCoRyX 02-17-2006 08:29 PM

Glad to see the Lightweight Division returning for sure.

Criminal Rock 03-05-2006 05:22 PM

Wow. The fights were absolutely fantastic. Though, I was sad to see BJ Penn run out of gas like that after the first round beating he gave Pierre... but Pierre, damn... with a broken face, totally came back and won both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I like Penn, I like him a lot, and I hope he continues to fight in the UFC despite the loss.

And the Franklin-Louiseau fight was just plain awesome. Though Franklin dominated, Louiseau gave him a run for his money at one point in time, and it scared me.

How many of you actually saw the fights, though? It seems that most people were excited last time just because of Liddell.

XCoRyX 03-11-2006 06:42 AM

I was very happy to see Mark Hominick grab the victory over Yves. Yves just totally under-estimated him,and them liver shots were no joke.

Nate Marquardt poses a pretty big threat for Franklin I think. His style isn't the same and as exciting, but he can wear people down in time,which it seems he likes to do.

Very solid card.

MISFITS_Fiend 05-03-2006 03:06 PM

Damn...I can't believe this thread is so stagnant!!!

What does everybody think about the next PPV? I'm definitely getting this one. I don't usually order PPVs, but the thought of seeing Matt Hughes go up against Royce Gracie is just too awesome to miss. Matt Hughes seems to think it'll be quick; I think Royce looks better than he has in years and will definitely prove a challenge. I see him winning by submission, but it's still a tough call. Hughes is definitely the superior striker in this matchup, which could prove to be the deciding factor.

Deadite914 05-03-2006 03:14 PM

I used to be so in to pride fighting. Haven't watched it in a while. Are silva or Cro-cop fighting anytime soon?

Criminal Rock 05-03-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MISFITS_Fiend
Damn...I can't believe this thread is so stagnant!!!

What does everybody think about the next PPV? I'm definitely getting this one. I don't usually order PPVs, but the thought of seeing Matt Hughes go up against Royce Gracie is just too awesome to miss. Matt Hughes seems to think it'll be quick; I think Royce looks better than he has in years and will definitely prove a challenge. I see him winning by submission, but it's still a tough call. Hughes is definitely the superior striker in this matchup, which could prove to be the deciding factor.

I've been buying UFC's PPV's since early 2001 (when my family first got cable), and have been a fan of the sport since I was 13 when i first started rolling with Ted Bailey.

As for the fight? Hughes will probably win. Heís younger, faster, stronger, just as skilled... heís the complete package. Gracie is a great fighter, no doubt, he can still kick it in the ring and has proven himself as a dominant fighter with only a few losses to his amazing MMA record. But heís not in the same shape he was 7 years ago.

Itíll be a great fight, but Hughes will end up with the decision on his side.

MISFITS_Fiend 05-08-2006 01:48 PM

Does anyone know if they have announced the undercard yet? All I've heard about is the Hughes/Gracie fight (which in itself is enough for me to get the PPV).

Criminal Rock 05-28-2006 01:34 AM

*spoilers*

Ha ha ha!!! Hughes killed Gracie, exactly what I predicted.

*end spoilers*

MISFITS_Fiend 06-29-2006 09:00 AM

I can't believe this thread is so dead...MMA in general and the UFC in particular are really picking up speed now, and in my opinion is one of the most scientific of combative sports. C'mon people; let's keep this thread alive!

TheDeadWalk 07-09-2006 08:20 PM

Bitter Rivals was the worst UFC PPV, ever.

Criminal Rock 07-09-2006 08:26 PM

totally agree... they showed only five fights yesterday. Fucking gay. And most of the fights were weak. They need to adopt PRIDE'S card system, and they need to show more fights. 10 at the least...

bourahioro 01-07-2007 08:58 AM

Cro Cop

Cro Cop highlights

There are going to be some very sorry UFC fighters, very soon.

and on another note, I saw video of Chuck Liddell fighting Quinton "rampage" Jackson....Chuck got his ass kicked...BAD!

bantameant 01-07-2007 09:18 AM

Ho-LY Shit.

Just watched the Cro Cop highlights - I can already hear the crying from the octagon.

Those high kicks followed by a good smash to the face are gonna turn many fan-favourites into cauliflowered-eared losers.

I'm going to be VIBRATING, waiting for this guy to enter the octagon!!

DarkKnight81 01-08-2007 05:26 PM

Anybody know why he left PRIDE? Seems like he'd want to fight the best, unless of course its about money.

bourahioro 01-08-2007 06:08 PM

He left PRIDE because of what he considered a smaller salary than he figured he deserves....I'll bet the UFC is gonna pay him wickedly for the 2 year, 6 fight contract. He was supposed to make an appearance or fight at a PRIDE event, and backed out of it, and Dana White announced a few days later that Cro Cop IS coming to the UFC.

Give it time, Fedor Emelianeko will follow, and them money fight between he and Mirko 'Cro cop' Filipovic will be the biggest in UFC history, Fedor openly admits that the fight he won between he and Cro Cop was the toughest he'd ever fought (hFedor won by decision)

DarkKnight81 01-08-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bourahioro
He left PRIDE because of what he considered a smaller salary than he figured he deserves....I'll bet the UFC is gonna pay him wickedly for the 2 year, 6 fight contract. He was supposed to make an appearance or fight at a PRIDE event, and backed out of it, and Dana White announced a few days later that Cro Cop IS coming to the UFC.

Give it time, Fedor Emelianeko will follow, and them money fight between he and Mirko 'Cro cop' Filipovic will be the biggest in UFC history, Fedor openly admits that the fight he won between he and Cro Cop was the toughest he'd ever fought (hFedor won by decision)

I wish I could have seen that fight, hopefully they'll fight again someday whether it be in UFC or PRIDE. I wish they would have a big cross over PPV.

bourahioro 01-08-2007 09:30 PM

Dude, go to youtube and do a search for Cro Cop...lots of shit'll display, but if you want a more definite search do cro cop vs fedor... it was an awesome fight. very even...I wouldn't have been shocked had it gone the other way, it was that close......you know what? fuck it, I searched for ya:)

Mirko 'Cro Cop' Filipovic -vs- Fedor Emelianenko

Enjoy.

DarkKnight81 01-08-2007 10:48 PM

Fedor is the fucking man, no doubt about it. Crocop got in a few nice punches in the middle of the fight but for the most part he was on his heels and on the defensive the whole time. I mean you cant blame the guy, it is Fedor, at least he went the whole fight. The thing I noticed was that it seemed like Fedor wanted to stay up and challenge Crocops standup when he probably could have shot and taken him down anytime and pounded his face in. In my opinion Fedor pretty much owned him, his biggest weakness seems to be that he cuts and bleeds easy as seen here and in the Kosaka fiasco. Crocop is an amazing fighter but Fedor showed that without question he is the best fighter in the world. I really cant imagine saying anyone was ever as good as Fedor is now. Ever.

Criminal Rock 01-09-2007 02:06 AM

The heavyweight devision in the UFC has nothing on Pride. Cro Cop will obtain the title within the next 5 or 6 months, and all the former WWE redneck fans will gawk at the power and greatness that is Mirko... well, when they stop booing him like dumbasses.

The UFC doesn't run as deep as other leagues do. This move to buy them out, and import other fighters from other leagues, is a genius move on our part.

I predict the UFC will bank more money this year then they did in 06'. If not only from Mirko.

07 is going to fucking rock!

bourahioro 01-09-2007 08:49 AM

Darkknight... CroCop was ill at the time of that fight, and nursing a sore (sprained) foot, he hadn't slept for at least a day before his fight with Fedor, therefore wasn't 100%, this is why I say that if they also bring Fedor to the UFC, and match him against Mirko, it'll be THE fight to see and remember.

TaiMaiJew... I agree with you about PRIDE being better than the UFC, I think the differences between the two are kind of closing in though with additions such as Mirko, and Quinton Jackson....UFC is doing the smart thing by getting these fighters, and possibly more. '06 was a pretty good year UFCwise, '07 will rule, especially with Mirko joining the roster.

All in all, I'm really very happy with anything fightwise, whether it be PRIDE, UFC, or whatever...I love to fight, and really enjoy watching others fight...so getting someone like Mirko Flipovic into the ufc, with his lightning fast, and hammer hard kicks, and devistating punches, not to mention that the guy will fight and fight and fight, I don't think he's ever submitted, the UFC fighters have it pretty easy....I think they're gonna find out just how easy they have it.

I see Silvia, and Liddell going to sleep, or taking a shitload of punishment from Mirko, and Jackson respectively.

DarkKnight81 01-09-2007 06:36 PM

Trust me, I'm in no way trying to knock Cro Cop, he's obviously one if the best fighters in the world and I didnt know he was injured and sick for that fight. But to be honest I dont think it would have changed too much, Fedor is just bigger, stronger, and more well rounded. I think Cro Cop will make his way to the top of UFC quickly. Anybody know what weight class he will fight in?

bourahioro 01-09-2007 09:30 PM

Oh, I wasn't taking what you said as a knock to Cro Cop - I was just giving you details on what could have helped him lose the fight against Fedor. Yeah Fedor is bigger, and stronger....but I think had Cro Cop been 100%, the outcome would have been different.

I think he'll be in the heavyweight division, he's around 215 lbs...reasonably, he could drop some weight and go into the light heavyweight division...taking out Liddell in the process....But methinks that Tim Silvia has something to worry about when Cro Cop makes it to the UFC.

Criminal Rock 01-09-2007 10:34 PM

Jackson has a chance at Lidell, like any fighter would, but i don't think he'll take the belt from him. And as cliche as it might sound, i believe Chuck has outgrown jackson as a fighter since their last meet. I mean, look at Couture, a much superior wrestler then Jackson, a much superior striker then Jackson (technically speaking), and chuck beat him twice and retired the guy.

that says a lot.

To me, its always rock-paper-sizers when it comes to who beats who in MMA. Chuck included, i suppose.

So who knows what can happen?... all i know is that chuck has shown tremendous growth since that fight, and a rematch between the two wouldn't look the same.

i guess we'll have to wait it out...

DarkKnight81 01-09-2007 10:40 PM

If he goes to the heavyweight division hes going to murder Tim Sylvia, same goes for the Iceman if Cro Cop loses the weight. He's gotta be the best fighter in UFC in some time which hopefully will open the flood gates for other good fighters. I've been a big UFC fan since its inception and I'd like to be a big PRIDE fan since they seem to have the best fighters but they get very little coverage on TV here so its really hard to follow whats going on. I'm happy to see both companies getting more of an audience.

DarkKnight81 01-09-2007 10:47 PM

Where the hell is Frank Shamrock fighting these days?

bourahioro 01-10-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tai Mai Jew
Jackson has a chance at Lidell, like any fighter would, but i don't think he'll take the belt from him. And as cliche as it might sound, i believe Chuck has outgrown jackson as a fighter since their last meet. I mean, look at Couture, a much superior wrestler then Jackson, a much superior striker then Jackson (technically speaking), and chuck beat him twice and retired the guy.

that says a lot.

To me, its always rock-paper-sizers when it comes to who beats who in MMA. Chuck included, i suppose.

So who knows what can happen?... all i know is that chuck has shown tremendous growth since that fight, and a rematch between the two wouldn't look the same.

i guess we'll have to wait it out...

Did you see their first fight?....Chuck fought then the exact same way he deos now, and while I'm a big Liddell fan, watching the fight between Jackson and Liddell made me rethink how good he actually is. I guess I'd think differently had the fight been even close to even, but the reality is Liddell had nothing at all in his arsenal that could even faze Jackson....Jackson walked into that ring, started punching, and didn't stop....again fuck it, here's the link if anyone hasn't seen it:

Chuck Liddell getting his ass kicked

And you're right, Liddell has shown growth since that fight...but is it enough to take this guy out? I'm skeptical.

bourahioro 01-10-2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DarkKnight81
Where the hell is Frank Shamrock fighting these days?

If I'm not mistaken, he's in the IFL.
Which I might add seems really lame, and stupid - the IFL I mean, not Shamrock.

DarkKnight81 01-10-2007 05:38 PM

Chuck did get beat down pretty bad there but really every fight is different and its hard to say what a rematch may be like if it happens. LIke some people have said, Chuck beat Tito, Tito beat Wanderlei, Wanderlei beat Jackson, so you never really know whats going to happen. It is good that Chuck will finally have some competition since his last few fights have been pretty lame. I also think that Frank Shamrock should come back to UFC or PRIDE but maybe hes not the competitor he once was and just wants to beat down scrubs now. The fact is also that fights change people either for good or bad, some people never recover from fights and the fact that Chuck has bounced back from that beatdown to defend his belt for a while now says a lot about his resolve. I remember a fight a long time ago between Wanderlei and Vitor Belfort where Wandy was knocked out in less than a minute and now Vitor is nowhere to be seen and Wandy is one of the best. You just never know.

DarkKnight81 01-10-2007 05:42 PM

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...k_Shamrock.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...s/shamrock.jpg

I cant believe these two arent real brothers or at least half brothers, I had no idea Frank was adopted. They have somewhat similar faces and very similar bodies. I never would have known.

bourahioro 01-11-2007 07:02 AM

They aren't biological brothers? I thought they were....weird.

bourahioro 01-13-2007 06:01 AM

TFN

I just got the Fight network yesterday! It's so far beyond kickass it's not even funny. K1 fighting on this afternoon, I'm fucking jacked.