Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Books/Comics (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   George R.R. Martin and Amazon team for further uncertainty (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119609)

Homyrrh 04-02-2008 12:10 PM

George R.R. Martin and Amazon team for further uncertainty

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...GL._SS500_.jpg

jolanar 04-02-2008 07:40 PM

Huh?

Homyrrh 04-03-2008 09:53 AM

The book, 'A Dance with Dragons', is the VERY long awaited fifth installment to Martin's bestselling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. The problem with the books he's released thus far (out of a projected 7 total), is that because they're all about a thousand pages long, and he releases them as soon as he's finished the immediately preceding novel, most of the releases are a few years apart.

The first book, 'A Game of Thrones' was released in 1996...12 years later we wait on the fifth one, which was scheduled for February 2007 originally, but is now, most unfortunately not even PROJECTED (by Amazon, not Martin) until this autumn.

That's just the first official image (and link) I've seen of the book, has me excited , and I figure someone else here is a GRRM fan.

xseanymacx 04-03-2008 11:48 AM

It's just your thread title is, well, fucking confusing?:D

Homyrrh 04-03-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xseanymacx (Post 2712916)
It's just your thread title is, well, fucking confusing?:D

I understand.

In all, Amazon projected a date that wasn't officially from Martin, but fuck, I'm holding my breath. It's already been puched back well over a year now, so readers of the series wil understand the anguish...

jolanar 04-03-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homyrrh (Post 2713025)
I understand.

In all, Amazon projected a date that wasn't officially from Martin, but fuck, I'm holding my breath. It's already been puched back well over a year now, so readers of the series wil understand the anguish...

Yah sorry I guess I should have clarified that your title made no sense.

George needs to understand how to serialize his works better. Less 1500 page books every 4 years and more 700 page books every other year.

Homyrrh 04-03-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanar (Post 2713057)
Yah sorry I guess I should have clarified that your title made no sense.

George needs to understand how to serialize his works better. Less 1500 page books every 4 years and more 700 page books every other year.

Actually, according to his own personal account (either on his site or in some afterwod or another), GRRM notes that the sequel to the third, a 'Storm of Swords' (the longest thus far at a rough 1200...reads like, well 1200 pages...) was actually an approximate 1500-1600 pp., but the publisher (maybe Bantam, not sure), who literally couldn't physically bind 1600+ pages into a mass-market paperback, made him cut it in half.

Since then, he released '...Crows' on hardcover in Septmeber 2005, and since has been fucking around with conventions and editing 'Wild Cards' and short story anthologies and vacations and altogether skipping a very awaited book (and, ultimately, an 8-digit paycheck for him). Bastard...

I'm sorry, impatience looms...

corran horn 04-06-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homyrrh (Post 2713131)
Since then, he released '...Crows' on hardcover in Septmeber 2005, and since has been fucking around with conventions and editing 'Wild Cards' and short story anthologies and vacations and altogether skipping a very awaited book (and, ultimately, an 8-digit paycheck for him). Bastard...

I'm sorry, impatience looms...

Keep in mind that Mr Martin does have a life outside of Song of Ice and Fire. He DOES have other obligations, and I'm willing to oblige them. He is also not "skipping" his next book. He's just trying to get it done right. It's not easy writing such an epic, and writing for the child characters (Bran especially) has been extremely difficult. He also has no control over what Amazon decides to put as the release date, and usually such dates are arrived at by throwing darts at a calendar.

Jolonar: I'm not sure that would work. I'd rather have a great 1500 page book every four years than a substandard 700 page one every year. I will say though that Steve Erickson's been able to do this and still have his books be great. It helps that he (and a friend who's writing a supplementary trilogy, Eric Casselmont's the name I believe) planned their series out from the very beginning.

Homyrrh 04-06-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corran horn (Post 2715493)
Keep in mind that Mr Martin does have a life outside of Song of Ice and Fire. He DOES have other obligations, and I'm willing to oblige them. He is also not "skipping" his next book. He's just trying to get it done right. It's not easy writing such an epic, and writing for the child characters (Bran especially) has been extremely difficult. He also has no control over what Amazon decides to put as the release date, and usually such dates are arrived at by throwing darts at a calendar.

Jolonar: I'm not sure that would work. I'd rather have a great 1500 page book every four years than a substandard 700 page one every year. I will say though that Steve Erickson's been able to do this and still have his books be great. It helps that he (and a friend who's writing a supplementary trilogy, Eric Casselmont's the name I believe) planned their series out from the very beginning.

Yeah, I was just bitching for the sake of complaining, really. Although he's entirely justified in taking so long, it's especially hard when his website updates say he's reworking this, restarting that, redoing whatever, starting over...

jolanar 04-08-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corran horn (Post 2715493)

And how long till we find out what happens to the characters in Feast of Crows again? Eight years after it's release?