Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Official Diablo 3 thread (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122151)

the clever guy 06-29-2008 11:41 PM

Official Diablo 3 thread

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/imag...o_3_splash.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35667.html?type=

the clever guy 06-29-2008 11:42 PM

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/007183.html

Quote:

Hell Unfreezes Over: Blizzard Confirms Diablo 3

The ice sheath splash has finally melted, it's now official, and while I'm not exactly barreled over by the announcement because I've always felt a trifle conflicted about the merits of the Diablo series, I'm definitely intrigued.

What I (and plenty of others) speculated might happen came to pass at approximately 12:18 p.m. on June 28th at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational in Paris, France, where Blizzard finally confirmed that yes, Diablo 3 is in the works, eight prolonged years after Diablo 2, and over a decade after the original gave oceans of relentless finger-tappers a conduit for their compulsion.

Don't believe me? Peep the the Blizzard homepage Flash splash (if you can get it to come up once folks on this side of the pond start to rise and shine).

What else do we know so far? Not much, but Blizzard says it's going to be the biggest Diablo yet, that it's going to retain the series focus on cooperative play, and that it'll feature the return of Deckard Cain (the old dude from the last two who crooned "Stay a while, and listen!" when you clicked him). You'll also get a new class called the Witch Doctor who'll have access to jungle magic and be able to summon animals and insects, inflict diseases, and mind-control enemies.

As the game is now finally fully 3D, you'll be able to zoom in or out on the fly. The interface has been unsurprisingly tweaked with onscreen hotbars for skills as well as the option to swap between them quickly with the tab key or your mousewheel. Instead of quaffing potions like Professor Snape on a bender, you'll roll over red orbs to replenish your health. Environments can be pretty thoroughly pulverized, as well as utilized to effect the destruction of enemies. Certain enemies will be considerably larger, finally filling the screen like proper boss monsters. Armor now relates to class and renders uniquely depending on the character wearing it. And girls, you'll finally have the option to pick female versions of character classes, including the Barbarian and Witch Doctor.

Check out the new official page which has slightly more info, and some of the official story details and features below:

Two decades have passed since the demonic denizens, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, wandered the world of Sanctuary in a vicious rampage to shackle humanity into unholy slavery. Yet for those who battled the Prime Evils directly, the memory fades slowly and the wounds of the soul still burn.

When Deckard Cain returns to the ruins of Tristram's Cathedral seeking clues to new stirrings of evil, a comet from the heavens strikes the very ground where Diablo once entered the world. The comet carries a dark omen in its fiery being and it calls the heroes of Sanctuary to defend the mortal world against the rising powers of the Burning Hells--and even the failing luminaries of the High Heavens itself.

- Explore a fully-realized Sanctuary--the living, breathing gothic fantasy world of Diablo III rendered in gorgeous 3D.

- Battle the unholy forces of the Burning Hells with all-new character classes like the otherworldly Witch Doctor, or with re-imagined warriors from Diablo's past: such as the fierce Barbarian.

- Rain Hell on your enemies wielding the interactive environment as a weapon: lay cunning traps, turn destructible objects against your foes, and use environmental obstacles to your advantage--all powered by the Havoc physics system.

- Experience the intensity of multiplayer Diablo III over an all-new, wickedly-enhanced Battle.net platform with numerous enhancements to make connecting with your friends easier--and cooperative gameplay more fun.

a fucking witch doctor?!?!? fuckin a!

X-Nightcrawler 06-29-2008 11:43 PM

The reason why I dislike these thread titles with weird names that don't really say what it's about are that tomorrow, someone else will make an "Official Diablo III Anticipation Thread".

Could a mod change the name of this thread?

btw w00t "Diablo III". Another step in Blizzard's plan to conquer the world and turns us all into lizards and gnomes and elves so the World of Warcraft becomes a reality in a dystopic flowery fantasy world of swords and this sentence totally ended far from where it started.

I apologize.

the clever guy 06-29-2008 11:46 PM

actually i apologize. i got excited and started typing. my apologies.

TheJadedGamer 06-30-2008 02:02 AM

I used to spend hours playing Diablo II with my buddies online.

john_rambo 06-30-2008 03:31 AM

Good news and all... but its blizzard remember... they are the Quentin Tarantino of the gaming industry. They get us all hyped up about a game... but take a million years to release it. I remember getting a copy of Game Informer in 8th grade talking about Starcraft Ghost... I currently am entering my second year of college... and still no Starcraft Ghost.

X-Nightcrawler 06-30-2008 03:39 AM

Yeah, but "Starcraft Ghost" was cancelled eons ago.

Where's your Game Informer now!?

But yeah. There was an equation to Blizzard releases. Take 2, multiply by X, X being the time they said it'd take for it to come out in years, and add a year.

So X(2)+1 = Diablo 3.
But . . . if you . . .

X(2)+1/3 = Diablo.
. . . and if my middle school algebra helps me now, then . . .

Diablo = 42.1 years.
Holy shit. We'll be old by then! DAMN YOU ALGEBRA!

jolanar 06-30-2008 12:41 PM

The only reason they take so long to release games is because they refuse to release unfinished product and thank goodness for that.

muttly69 06-30-2008 12:48 PM

nice

Cronos 06-30-2008 01:42 PM

Been hoping for this since I played 1 and 2 years ago, really need to dig both out and play them again. This is at the top of my OMFGZ I can't wait for this list.

SpoonMan999 06-30-2008 02:55 PM

I've already reinstalled DII and started playing, USEast Ladder ftw!

Animal 06-30-2008 02:58 PM

PC gaming is over, consoles are the future.

huBelial 06-30-2008 03:13 PM

Go to the blizzard site for more awesome trailers!!

SpoonMan999 06-30-2008 03:14 PM

Yeah because you know...the best selling game of all time isn't a PC game. [/sracasm]

I made a thread about taht particular thing so you should post in there about it.

vesaker 06-30-2008 03:53 PM

God i hope this announcement will shut up some of the ppl who bitch about WoW's monthly fee like it just all goes into the pockets of the execs or something.

See! Now you know where some of that money goes, to you know places like DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sry but ppl bitching aobut WoW's subscriber fee just annoy me, heh.

Can't wait for this, all of the gameplay footage looked bad ass and it will be cool to see how they update the looks for the other classes. But if they some how do away with Paladin's Zeal i'ma go breakin some legs :mad::D

Thrizzle 06-30-2008 04:46 PM

I really hope they bring back the paladin class!

the clever guy 07-01-2008 04:31 AM

that fuckin witch doctor is gonna be where it's at

the clever guy 07-02-2008 05:51 PM

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35767.html

battle footage....su-weet!

jolanar 07-02-2008 10:20 PM

Looks bat shit insane. I cant fucking wait.

the clever guy 10-10-2008 09:13 PM

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41303.html

New class introduced with some sweet fucking gameplay!

jolanar 10-11-2008 01:32 AM

The only possible way this isn't going to win game of the year is if Starcraft 2 is released in the same year.

vesaker 08-02-2011 03:07 PM

Some hands on stuff with some interesting tidbits

So it looks like in an effort to curb gold farming Blizzard is goingto be putting a "real money" auction house in Diablo 3. It will be interesting to see how well it works out in the end.

I'm loving the ability to sell/breakdown items from anywhere in the game as well as "stash" that is communal for all of your characters. The days of your bag got full up or that you'd find that sick weapon for the wrong character are over it seems, which is killer sweet. Personally i only ever liked playing a Paladin and the amount of Amazon bow's that would drop would drive me insane.

The new skill is interesting and remenicent of Guild Wars in that while you may have 10 great skills but are restricted to only being able to use 3-4 in the field. This should allow for more customization within each class which was sort of lacking from D2 imo. The real challenge though is not coming up with padding skills in an effort to make it seem like there is more choice. There will always be "the best" builds in these type of games but it would be nice if there was enough utility (stuns, knock back, etc) in your skills that there would be reason to take one skill over another depending on the situation.

One big thing for me will be are they going to put in the ability to respend your talent/skill pts? In WoW there was simply an in game money cost to re apply them but if i recall in D2 once a pt was spent that was it.

This games is looking better and better, just need a release date now!

jolanar 09-24-2011 08:30 PM

Did anyone get into the first round of Beta? I've watched videos of the gameplay on IGN and holy shit does it look like fun.

I hope I get into beta eventually, especially since the release date was pushed back into early 2012.

Repo Man 09-26-2011 04:19 AM

I'm actually glad its been delayed because it means Blizzard aims to deliver a well polished product as usual and wont stray from their mantra of "its out when its finished".

Furthermore when i look at the list of games coming out at the end of the year, i feel like someone is kicking me on the nuts repeatedly... Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, The Old Republic, Modern Warfare 3, Guild Wars 2 maybe, the existing games i already play, gotta try and have a life and get a job... i aint gonna have time for all this man! my brain is gonna have a meltdown! Its gonna be a seriously kickass final quarter and 2011 might go down into history as a truly badass gaming year. :D

jolanar 09-26-2011 08:37 AM

I am just going to plan accordingly. I may not even bother with The Old Republic if in a couple months I'm just going to drop it for the lifechanging experience that Diablo 3 is going to be.

I've joked about calling sick for work on the release days of certain games before. But honestly for Diablo 3 I think I will take a week of vacation when this baby comes out.

vesaker 09-28-2011 04:13 PM

Lunch With Diablo!

So it seems that Gamespot is going to be doing a bunch of Beta preview over the next while. Here is a blurb on what the deal is:

Quote:

Welcome Diablo fans! Join me, Jim Maybury, a few days a week as I sit down to lunch with Diablo. After I run down the street and grab my favorite sandwich or burrito, I'll be logging into the Diablo III beta to unleash deadly fury on the dark lord's minions. Stop by to ask questions or just ponder all the loot that will be taken away from me when the beta ends. I'll try to get through a few playthroughs a week, depending on the beta stability and how I juggle my normal video-editing duties. Remember: This is only the beta and everything can and might change before release. Until then, though, sit back and grab your own lunch as we take a look at Blizzard's latest loot-filled action role-playing game.
Here's the link

So there's a 15min vid so far and the guy is just running through basic stuff in the beta. It says its a Barbarian vid but from what i watched it's actually a Witch Doctor vid.

Should be interesting to see what gets posted up over the coming days.

jolanar 09-29-2011 09:47 PM

If your interested, IGN already has a full walkthrough of the beta from start to finish posted in 4 15 to 20 minute videos.

I'll definitely check out the gamespot vids too. Even watching others play is more fun than most video games.

vesaker 09-30-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanar (Post 3456932)
If your interested, IGN already has a full walkthrough of the beta from start to finish posted in 4 15 to 20 minute videos.

I'll definitely check out the gamespot vids too. Even watching others play is more fun than most video games.

Cool.

Yeah it seems the main purpose of these vids on Gamespot is that you'll be able to ask questions in the comments section and he'll try to cover it in a later video. Like you can ask for an in depth look at on the the skill trees of a particular class and he'll try and spend some decent time on it in one of the vids.

jolanar 01-07-2012 02:14 PM

According to Blizzard reps, when the release date does get announced, it will be *at least* 2 months away. That means, there is a pretty big chance that Diablo 3 is going to pushed back into Q2 of this year.

Considering this is probably a top 5 most anticipated game of the past 12 years, they are probably scared to death making sure they release a quality product.

DaveyJoeG 01-07-2012 02:15 PM

I played the beta at a friend's house and I can tell that we're going to lose a lot of hours to this game. I played as the Witch Doctor which had some really cool snaring spells and beasties you could summon. The game is fun as hell and I'm sure it'll do well.

jolanar 01-07-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG (Post 3499956)
I played the beta at a friend's house and I can tell that we're going to lose a lot of hours to this game. I played as the Witch Doctor which had some really cool snaring spells and beasties you could summon. The game is fun as hell and I'm sure it'll do well.

Still no beta invite for me. :mad::mad::mad::(

DaveyJoeG 01-07-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanar (Post 3499957)
Still no beta invite for me. :mad::mad::mad::(

Bummer dude. First thing I did after leaving my friend's house was text all my other friends and brag to them about playing the beta. They were not amused. :cool:

jolanar 01-08-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG (Post 3499958)
Bummer dude. First thing I did after leaving my friend's house was text all my other friends and brag to them about playing the beta. They were not amused. :cool:

It's not really *that* big of a deal. But considering I've been playing Blizzard games since Warcraft 1 and Rock and Roll racing... *sniffles*

PS. Rock and Roll racing was a great SNES game btw, for those who have never played it.

DaveyJoeG 01-08-2012 11:23 AM

Well I have good news for you, it appears that a Best Buy in Minnesota has leaked the release date. And it's just around the corner!

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/u...e-February.jpg

jolanar 01-08-2012 03:41 PM

That looks fake. Especially since February is misspelled.

DaveyJoeG 01-08-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanar (Post 3500401)
That looks fake. Especially since February is misspelled.

What looks fake about it besides the typo? The Best Buy website is also showing a release date of 2/1/12.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Diablo+I...%203&lp=3&cp=1

jolanar 01-08-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG (Post 3500446)
What looks fake about it besides the typo? The Best Buy website is also showing a release date of 2/1/12.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Diablo+I...%203&lp=3&cp=1

The fact that the release date is blurred out, also makes it look fake. Don't get me wrong, I'd be psyched if it was coming out that soon.

Also, retailers guess the release date for games all the time in an effort to get people to preorder it. That's nothing really new.

jolanar 01-08-2012 09:10 PM

Also this:

https://twitter.com/#!/Bashiok/statu...73490904051712

"Retailers will not know a date until its officially announced through a press release."

DaveyJoeG 01-09-2012 02:58 PM

Those are good points. I'd certainly expect Blizzard would want at least 2-3 months to market the game before it's release date. While I'd like to see the game sooner than later, I don't mind having more time to save up for it. The budget is tight these days.

jolanar 01-20-2012 08:19 PM

A post on the battle.net page basically details all the changes they are still working on, and why the game isn't being released yet.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4325...nges-1_19_2012

I like the sound of the changes, but from all they are describing I would be really surprised if this makes it out in the first quarter.