Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Books/Comics (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dean Koontz Recommendations (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122163)

ZMoney08 06-30-2008 02:09 PM

Dean Koontz Recommendations

Could someone please recommend me a good Dean Koontz to read. I read Velocity last summer and thought it was pretty good but just not good enough that I went out and bought more of his books. Please let me know your favorites because I would like to read another from him but I want to makes sure it's good so I don't just give up on him if the next book I read is just ok.

X-Nightcrawler 07-01-2008 07:48 PM

Not the best writer ever, but "Watchers" is an excellent book.

poopontheshoes7 07-02-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler (Post 2794072)
Not the best writer ever, but "Watchers" is an excellent book.

Yes, Watchers is the shit! One of my favorite books. I really like Koontz, I think he comes up with some genuinly good idea's, but most of his books have the typical happy ending BS and some of of the relationships of his characters are two "soap opera" for my liking. Other than that I've enjoyed quit a few of his novels.

I would suggest:
Watchers
Phantoms
From the Corner of His Eye
Odd Thomas
False Memory
The Bad Place
Strangers
The Servants of Twilight
Tick Tock
Twilight Eyes
Hideaway
Lightening
The Key To Midnight

For starters.

X-Nightcrawler 07-02-2008 04:09 PM

"One Door Away From Heaven" was a fun read as well.

ZMoney08 07-02-2008 04:45 PM

Cool thanks for the recommendations

Scarfather 07-04-2008 09:28 AM

Recommendation: Don't read Dean Koontz.

HAHAHA! *golf clap*

I read "Icebound" a couple years ago and it wasn't abhorrent, so that.

killuminati003 07-08-2008 10:45 AM

Going to second The Watchers, and I liked Dragon Tears a lot.

Mr. Murder isn't all that bad.

ThomoftheDead 07-08-2008 11:39 AM

I'd recommend Odd Thomas (Best of the 3 books I've read in that series have yet to read Odd Hours yet) and Life Expetency was also a good read.

hrdude 09-19-2008 06:12 AM

Been a fan of Dean since Phantoms, which freaked me out. Nowadays I've been impressed with the four Odd books. Normally I don't like books written in the first person however these sucked me in.

therealjohng 09-24-2008 01:06 AM

Phantoms is a fantastic book, BUT. Intensity is not only the best Koontz book I've read, it's one of the best I've read period. The book is just that, intense.

Mr.HyDe807 09-24-2008 11:14 AM

I just finished reading Shadowfires, and i thought it was a pretty good read.

hrdude 09-25-2008 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealjohng (Post 2873901)
Phantoms is a fantastic book, BUT. Intensity is not only the best Koontz book I've read, it's one of the best I've read period. The book is just that, intense.

Intensity's an awesome read, and of course it "inspired" or at least is eerily similar to Haute Tension

poguesfan 10-01-2008 04:46 PM

Phantoms (Koontz's best work)

darchangel 11-07-2008 06:51 PM

I'd suggest Hideaway and Lightning...I also enjoyed Dragon Tears.

Tweek 11-18-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealjohng (Post 2873901)

It's weird how long that book takes to depict a short amount of time.

Gallafck 12-23-2008 04:08 PM

Intensity, Is by far my fav. of his books.. I also really liked "The Good Guy" I read Tick Tock it was ok, ending kinda blows, I own about 6 more of his books that friends or family have given me but if I am looking to read it is one of the first two books..

Danger^Cart 12-24-2008 11:30 AM

I've found Koontz to be notoriously incapable of closing out strong. His third act seems to always fall flat on its face.

That being said Mr. Murder is a really fun book, and I actually enjoyed the climax for once.

g1ng3rsnap9ed 12-24-2008 05:17 PM

I liked Phantoms, other than that Koontz has never really done it for me.

Quote:

I've found Koontz to be notoriously incapable of closing out strong. His third act seems to always fall flat on its face.
He always ends happy, that's the problem. It always ends with in a neat little package with a bow-tie.

Beard_of_Meat 12-29-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g1ng3rsnap9ed (Post 2932932)
I liked Phantoms, other than that Koontz has never really done it for me.

He always ends happy, that's the problem. It always ends with in a neat little package with a bow-tie.

Not always...Odd Thomas did not end happy at all..

As for Koontz I usually like what I read by him but his books kind of have a "popcorn movie" feel to them..You know lots of flare with little depth though he does not usually disappoint...The only real problem I have with Koontz is that I usually go through his books in a day or two and I like my books to be meaty and full of depth..As for some recommendations by Koontz I would say the Odd Thomas series: Odd Thomas,Forever Odd,Brother Odd,and Odd Hours are excellent books...I have also enjoyed, The Darkest Night of the Year,The Good Guy
,and The Husband

Evil Ed 12-29-2008 05:12 PM

Cool little tidbit for you Koontz head's out there. Dean Koontz's nephew lives next door to me, he's the coolest cat I know. I guess he was referenced in one of Dean's earlier books; he talks about a man living in Hawaii with his golden retriever, that's my neighbor.

nayland 01-04-2009 12:50 PM

servants of the twilight-great twist at the end

Psychocandy 01-03-2011 04:07 PM

I picked up Velocity & The Taking in an after-xmas sale. Only 1 each and having read a lot of Koontz early books years ago it wasn't much of an outlay. Anyone read them? How do they stack up? Velocity especially sounds intriguing.

MidnightAngel 01-03-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarfather (Post 2796530)
I read "Icebound" a couple years ago and it wasn't abhorrent, so that.

Icebound is Dean Koontz's worst book ever! Now i understand why that book was published under one of his pseudonyms. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by poguesfan (Post 2879313)
Phantoms (Koontz's best work)

The book owns. The movie version owns donkey balls.

ZMoney08 check also The Taking, The Dean Koontz Frankenstein novels, Fear Nothing, Seize The Night, Darkfall, By The Light of The Moon and Strange Highways.

hrdude 03-11-2011 10:47 PM

Just read What the Night Knows. Good read until the end. Dean needs to read some John Saul or John Connelly novels to understand how to finish a book and leave you uncomfortable.

Film Fan BeAm2k 03-23-2011 02:09 PM

I really enjoyed Life Expectancy by Koontz

euelle 01-19-2014 06:05 PM

hmmmm Not the best writer ever