Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Horror Movie talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter. Why all the love? (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123522)

poopontheshoes7 08-17-2008 09:34 PM

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter. Why all the love?

I'm a big slasher fan like most horror hounds. And, like most horror hounds I love me some Jason Voorhees.

Lots of fans claim that The Final Chapter is among the best of the bunch. If not THE best of the bunch. I just dont see it. I find it to be a very dull, lifeless slasher.

I will give it some credit for being the most brutal of all the Friday flicks. But everything in between the sweet kills is pure Zzzzzzzz...

There werent any likable characters accept maybe for Jim and Corey Feldman. The cast all seemed to have the same face if you know what I mean. I know that the Fridays flicks arent known for their character development but most of the films in the series has at least one character you can get behind. The heroin is Part 1, 2 and 3 are all likeable enough. Hell even the much hated part 5 has better characters. Part 6 has probably the most likable leads in the series. Part 7 has the ok Carrie knock off and I havent seen part 8 and 9 in a while so I cant judge. Jason X is pure cheesy fun all the way through.

So I'm just a little confused on the love for The Final Chapter. Aside from some great kills its a very lifeless and boring movie imo.

Ratlehed 08-17-2008 11:18 PM

Well, Savinis F/X are obviously the high light of the flick. Head rippimg, face smashing and nut crushing all equal great kills.

I like the atmosphere of the flick. Alot of it takes place in the daytime, but it still has a creepy feel. Theres alot of mist usally floating around and the music makes the forest seem scary. The part were Sara walks alone back to the car is setup nicely as is the mother/daughter jogging scene. I really like the opening scene at the old barn were part 3 ended. I thought it was cool with all the lights going and the helicopter. Then everything leaves and the camer pans on the old barn in the darkness for a minute and all you hear are the bugs.

The charectars are the usual. Not any better or worse than the others. The "final" girl is annoying. But shes not alone alot so shes tolerable. Crispin Glover plays a good nerd and his sex fiend buddy plays annoying well. I always thought Sara was one of the hotter Friday girls. Feldman does good for what his role is. Hes not an annoying kid or anything.

Part 4 was the first one I saw though. So I might enjoy it more because of that.

LordSimen 08-17-2008 11:39 PM

It's not the best, but it's definitely one of the better ones. :D

JJFlamingo 08-18-2008 02:19 AM

Jason Lives is the best, but this one has value. Great kills, Corey Feldman saving the day, Crispin Glover as an oblivious nerd, hot chicks, Teddy and his "computer" are cool ("it says you're a dead fuck"), and Jason is in great form...

KillerKlown 08-18-2008 08:27 AM

It's not bad, but doesn't come anywhere near Friday the 13th Part VII.

g1ng3rsnap9ed 08-18-2008 09:57 AM

Part 4 isnt my favorite-Im not even sure I have a favorite-but it has great kills/ Savini F/X,Corey FieldMan,and there were quite a few scenes that made me laugh-intentional or otherwise,

poopontheshoes7 08-18-2008 12:26 PM

Part 6 and 7 are my personal favorites as well. Part 6 has an awesome pace and the humor is actually funny most of the time. Which is rare for slasher flicks. Especially Friday flicks. I loved the whole Indian speech thing that kid (his name escapes me at the moment) gives. Funny stuff. Thom Matthews is the man. I wish he did more in the 80s. The soundtrack rocks and Jason is starting so show some personality.

Part 7 has the most badass Jason in the series imo. Thats because good ol' Kane Hodder took over the mask. Jasons look is badass. Gotta love the spine and kneecaps poping out! His heavy breathing thing is cool and menacing. And I like the lead girl. She was suprisingly credible and I'm grateful as all hell that they gave her Carrie powers because the series was dying for something new to be added. It gives Jason a little more fight than he's used to.

Love Part 6 and 7!

poguesfan 08-18-2008 01:34 PM

Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter is still hands down the best "Friday" of the series. The gore is top knotch, the characters are believable, and finally Ted White plays a rather intimidating Jason.

zombievictim 08-18-2008 04:16 PM

I definitely wouldn't call The Final Chapter the best movie in the franchise (that honor goes to part 3) but I definitely enjoy it. Like someone earlier stated, the atmosphere in this one is just perfect with just the right amount of creeps and scares. Not to mention that in many parts it looks like A Nightmare on Elm Street which I guess makes sense since they were both released in 84.

poopontheshoes7 08-18-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombievictim (Post 2843100)
I definitely wouldn't call The Final Chapter the best movie in the franchise (that honor goes to part 3) but I definitely enjoy it. Like someone earlier stated, the atmosphere in this one is just perfect with just the right amount of creeps and scares. Not to mention that in many parts it looks like A Nightmare on Elm Street which I guess makes sense since they were both released in 84.

Yes! Finally someone who loves part 3. Next to 6 and 7 Part 3 is my all time favorite.

Next to Hodder, the guy who played Jason in the third played him the best. I loved that he wasnt undead yet and more like a crazy, deformed hillbilly. It gve him more of a creepy edge. The finale is probably one of the best in the series as well. Gotta love the axe in the head!

zombievictim 08-18-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 (Post 2843315)
Yes! Finally someone who loves part 3. Next to 6 and 7 Part 3 is my all time favorite.

Next to Hodder, the guy who played Jason in the third played him the best. I loved that he wasnt undead yet and more like a crazy, deformed hillbilly. It gve him more of a creepy edge. The finale is probably one of the best in the series as well. Gotta love the axe in the head!

Indeed. Three has everything I could ask for from a Friday movie. It has some great deaths, very likable characters, and oozing 80's atmosphere. Plus Jason isn't some zombie like he is from 6 on.

Salieri 08-19-2008 01:54 AM

Excuse me, would you care to dance?

spacemonkey 08-19-2008 11:09 AM

I think all the love comes because the last minutes of the movie are pretty intense. The whole thing with Corey making Jason remember who he was, then shaving his head, then the machete going into Jasons head like that, and those last sequences with Corey going crazy with the machete, just completely loosing it was awesome stuff if you ask me.

poopontheshoes7 08-19-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemonkey (Post 2843765)
I think all the love comes because the last minutes of the movie are pretty intense. The whole thing with Corey making Jason remember who he was, then shaving his head, then the machete going into Jasons head like that, and those last sequences with Corey going crazy with the machete, just completely loosing it was awesome stuff if you ask me.

I agree completely. But everything up to that was just so boring. I dont know what to tell ya, I just dont see the big deal:confused:

MisterTwister 08-19-2008 03:33 PM

Part 4 is loved so much because it kicks fucking ass. It's violent, gory, tense, scary and downright exciting.

The characters are likable, espeically Tommy, Trish, Jimbo and Ted.

I love both 6 and 7 but the characters in 4 are far better than the ones in 7.

Kane Hodder is horribly overrated. I like him but his Jason started to really bore me.

Ted White, despite the disrespect, was my favorite Jason. His Jason was fucking scary.

poopontheshoes7 08-19-2008 04:00 PM

I think I nailed the reason why I dont like it.

It wasnt fun. Most of the Friday flicks are fun. This one wasnt. It just sorta slogged along without doing anything. Im starting to feel like a freak. No one has agreed with me yet. lol!

I honestly dont see whats so likable about the characters. Nobody stood out. Not even Crispin Glover. Corey Feldman is the only actor to stand out in the whole movie. Everybody else just seemed bored out of their minds. I couldnt even pinpoint who the herion was. Was it Tommys sister or that virgin girl? I thought it was going to be the virgin girl until she had to go do the dirty dirty.

I will give it props where it deserves. Like I said Jasons a mean bastard in this flick. I loved how he nailed the body to the door frame. Cool stuff. The machete slide was also a highlight.

But I dont know, it just didnt do it for me...

Rapture27 08-19-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 (Post 2844065)

It wasnt fun. Most of the Friday flicks are fun. This one wasnt. It just sorta slogged along without doing anything. Im starting to feel like a freak. No one has agreed with me yet. lol!

I honestly dont see whats so likable about the characters. Nobody stood out. Not even Crispin Glover. Corey Feldman is the only actor to stand out in the whole movie. Everybody else just seemed bored out of their minds. I couldnt even pinpoint who the herion was. Was it Tommys sister or that virgin girl? I thought it was going to be the virgin girl until she had to go do the dirty dirty.

I will give it props where it deserves. Like I said Jasons a mean bastard in this flick. I loved how he nailed the body to the door frame. Cool stuff. The machete slide was also a highlight.

But I dont know, it just didnt do it for me...

I agree with u dawg.

Its def overrated especially on this forum but its still one of the better Fridays.

Part 6 always stood out to me, prolly cuz I remember it being on cable quite a bit back when I was 8, 9 which I started my horror craze.

Brendan M. 08-19-2008 04:44 PM

It has my favorite death scene in the whole series.

"Hey, where's the wine opener?"

BAM!

The end scene with people flying through the windows was also cool.

spacemonkey 08-19-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 (Post 2844065)

I honestly dont see whats so likable about the characters. Nobody stood out. Not even Crispin Glover.

Dude, even the cannon fodder is cool on this movie! You know these kids are going to bite it, but they are funny as hell and relatively likable when compared to other Friday movies. The dead fuck guy, his the funniest thing, when he starts doing that stupid dance! Ha! Funny as shit.

poopontheshoes7 08-19-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemonkey (Post 2844099)
Dude, even the cannon fodder is cool on this movie! You know these kids are going to bite it, but they are funny as hell and relatively likable when compared to other Friday movies. The dead fuck guy, his the funniest thing, when he starts doing that stupid dance! Ha! Funny as shit.

Nah, I think the kids in Friday 3 and 6 are to most likable.

Ratlehed 08-19-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemonkey (Post 2843765)

Thats what I didnt like about it. The machete to the head is awesome. But Tommy shaving his head and such was to ridiculous. Then Tommy going nuts and having the camera zoom into his eyes was pretty lame. But I liked the rest of the flick alot.

This was the last scary Friday flick. Part 5 didnt have any suspense what so ever. Then with part 6 and on Jason wasnt scary anymore. He was still cool but he lost his fright appeal.

MisterTwister 08-19-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratlehed (Post 2844282)
Thats what I didnt like about it. The machete to the head is awesome. But Tommy shaving his head and such was to ridiculous. Then Tommy going nuts and having the camera zoom into his eyes was pretty lame. But I liked the rest of the flick alot.

This was the last scary Friday flick. Part 5 didnt have any suspense what so ever. Then with part 6 and on Jason wasnt scary anymore. He was still cool but he lost his fright appeal.

Tommy shaving his head was less ridiculous than say, a mogoloid boy drowning but suddenly walking around as a grown man for some mysterious reason.

But I do agree with this being the last scary F13th film. The rest were entertaining but far from scary.

Gretchen_Ross 08-20-2008 12:46 AM

well, certainly not the best, but it is entertaining. saw it at the new beverly cinema a few months back and had a rockin' good time.

KillerKlown 08-20-2008 05:33 PM

Hmmm I'm going to put it on now, just to refresh my memory.

The Claw 08-20-2008 05:52 PM

while i've kindof grown bored of talking about Friday the 13th movies, I'm also bored enough to tell you all why I liked this movie.

I found this movie to be entertaining mostly because unlike poop, I liked the characters I loved Crispen Glovers character. And Teddy, that guy was a fucking hoot, and thats it really. I just really liked the characters in this one, also I must agree with you on part 5. I liked the characters in that one too, and its one of my favorites.

part 4/5/6 are my favorites.

JohnTravoltage 08-30-2008 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan M. (Post 2844093)
It has my favorite death scene in the whole series.

"Hey, where's the wine opener?"

BAM!

The end scene with people flying through the windows was also cool.

I believe in the line he says Cork screw. ;)

Fettdog 08-30-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterTwister (Post 2844325)
Tommy shaving his head was less ridiculous than say, a mogoloid boy drowning but suddenly walking around as a grown man for some mysterious reason.

My take on this was that Alice had dreamed about the younger Jason while in her hospital bed, but that in the time between his original drowning and the beginning of part 2 he had, well somehow survived, but that's a whole other continuity and logic problem! :D

darchangel 09-01-2008 12:50 PM

Part Four was always one of my faves...it's in my top tier of the Friday flicks (The Original, Part Four, Part Seven).

Crispin "You are my density" Glover, Corey Feldman with a wicked cool bowl cut, Tom Savini FX...what more could you ask for? ;)

g1ng3rsnap9ed 09-01-2008 04:30 PM

^That pretty much sums up my love for it-the characters were hysterical,the gore ran great,and c'mon: TWINS-b/c 4 boobs are better than 2! :D

darchangel 09-05-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g1ng3rsnap9ed (Post 2856013)
^That pretty much sums up my love for it-the characters were hysterical,the gore ran great,and c'mon: TWINS-b/c 4 boobs are better than 2! :D

Now there I'll have to disagree...Sam easily had the best juggs of the movie (and probably of the series, for that matter).

I'll always think of her as Hilly from Weird Science, though...:D

jtwist78 09-08-2008 03:44 PM

Setting aside the great kills, Crispin Glover and the Ted character are classic!! "Why don't you run these through your computer?"

Always liked the whole feel of this one as well, it ranks in my top tier (part 3/4/6)

zombievictim 09-08-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darchangel (Post 2859260)
Now there I'll have to disagree...Sam easily had the best juggs of the movie (and probably of the series, for that matter).

I'll always think of her as Hilly from Weird Science, though...:D

Haha you're not the only one that always thinks of her as Hilly. Can't watch this film without thinking of that.

the dead one 09-10-2008 09:29 PM

Jason STILL lives!

Hey poopontheshoes, whats up?

Ok---I actually found TFC one of the better jason entries SUE ME.:D

My fav- Friday the 13th:

Original-2-3-4-6 WORST vote goes to: parts 5-7-8-X

MisterTwister 09-10-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fettdog (Post 2854061)
My take on this was that Alice had dreamed about the younger Jason while in her hospital bed, but that in the time between his original drowning and the beginning of part 2 he had, well somehow survived, but that's a whole other continuity and logic problem! :D

Good old F13th and their continuity issues!

poopontheshoes7 09-11-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dead one (Post 2863912)
Hey poopontheshoes, whats up?

Ok---I actually found TFC one of the better jason entries SUE ME.:D

My fav- Friday the 13th:

Original-2-3-4-6 WORST vote goes to: parts 5-7-8-X

Hey Dead One. Havent seen you around in a while.

Aww man...no love for The New Blood? Thats gotta be one of my favorites. Along with Jason X, Jason Lives and Part 3.

zombievictim 09-11-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 (Post 2864590)
Hey Dead One. Havent seen you around in a while.

Aww man...no love for The New Blood? Thats gotta be one of my favorites. Along with Jason X, Jason Lives and Part 3.

Other than Goes To Hell, I don't see any of the series as the worst. I enjoy all of them. So in a weird way I agree with you. New Blood is entertaining.

poopontheshoes7 06-20-2009 03:57 PM

Gotta bump this thread....

This is gonna get me some major shit but.....

I like Part 5 waaaaay better then part 4

I don't really care that Jason isn't the killer in this one. It still feels like a Friday film through and through. Unlike part 4, it has an awesome cast of wacko characters, great kills, a faster then fast pace, the best set of jugs in a Friday flick (Except for the remake. :)), and a great finale.
Part 5 is a great example of what 80s slashers are about. It's just so damn fun. Its sleazy and over the top in the best way possible. Just like I don't get the love for part 4, I don't get the hate for part 5. :(

I'm gonna give a rough list of my favorite Fridays. I always change my mind on which one is my absolute favorite.

Friday the 13th part 3 10/10
Friday the 13th part 6: Jason Lives 10/10
Friday the 13th part 7: The New Blood 10/10
Friday the 13th 9/10
Freddy Vs. Jason 9/10
Jason X 8/10
Friday the 13th part 5: A New Beginning 8/10
Friday the 13th 2009 8/10
Friday the 13th Part 2 7.5/10
Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan 7/10
Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter 5/10
Jason Goes to Hell 4/10

g1ng3rsnap9ed 06-20-2009 04:09 PM

I like Part 5, but not as much as The Final Chapter. I would call New Blood my favorite though, probably. :)

Actually one of the better aspects of A New Beginning is that Jason wasn't the killer.

teenkiller 06-20-2009 06:25 PM

Hey, A NEW BEGINNING is actually my second favorite of the series and is probably the most entertaining overall. I definitely put it ahead of THE FINAL CHAPTER. I think it gets too much shit.

Moving over to the franchise section.

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.

Muddy Shores 06-24-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 (Post 3059882)
...I like Part 5 waaaaay better then part 4

I don't really care that Jason isn't the killer in this one. It still feels like a Friday film through and through. Unlike part 4, it has an awesome cast of wacko characters, great kills, a faster then fast pace, the best set of jugs in a Friday flick (Except for the remake. :)), and a great finale.
Part 5 is a great example of what 80s slashers are about. It's just so damn fun. Its sleazy and over the top in the best way possible. Just like I don't get the love for part 4, I don't get the hate for part 5. :(

Just re-watched Part 4 and I agree. Part 5 plays like a mystery, and has one of F13th's best endings. Part 4 has some cool kills, but there's no plot or suspense. It's just Jason killing, and we don't really even see Jason that much.