Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Books/Comics (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What graphic novel do you recommend? (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123663)

MarcoPolo 08-22-2008 06:43 PM

What graphic novel do you recommend?

Besides Watchmen.
Looking for something with a little more action, mystery, supernatural. And can you give me a sentence or 2 synopsis? Thx! :D

Kings-Rook1 08-23-2008 04:37 PM

Action: The Dark Knight Returns - Miller (It's a classic and if you haven't read it start here)
Mystery: ??? (Never been big into mystery books)
Supernatural: Sandman - Gaiman

For all three Hellboy and B.P.R.D. pops to mind.

MarcoPolo 08-25-2008 12:23 PM

Thanks! Ok come on the rest of you, I know you have recommendations!

vesaker 08-25-2008 04:19 PM

Give me Libery
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eLiberty01.jpg

This is writen my Frank Millar and drawn by David Gibbons, can't go wrong really. Excellent story and art.

Kings-Rook1 08-25-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vesaker (Post 2849615)
Give me Libery
This is writen my Frank Millar and drawn by David Gibbons, can't go wrong really. Excellent story and art.

Martha Washington; a true American hero. Damn good one and another Miller classic

Another that popped to mind to fit your Action, mystery and supernatural interests is 1602 by Neil Gaiman with art by Andy Kubert and Richard Isanov.

MarcoPolo 08-29-2008 09:23 AM

Are there any really good, or even such thing as, Hulk stand-alone graphic novels? You know, I mean ones that aren't a collection of comic book issues assembled into one.

Shinigami 09-14-2008 04:01 PM

I'm on the lookout for comic recommends too, and figured I could just bump this thread.

I've read the entire Sandman series and Watchmen. I might be preoccupied with those stories for a little bit, but afterward, I'm wondering where to go. Right now I'm leaning towards Maus. I have no preference other than quality, and Maus is supposed to be solid. I want to look into V for Vendetta as well.
I'm a bit of an outsider to comics, and I don't really know anybody in real life who is much interested in them, so I'm going in blind off whatever Top 10 Comic Book lists I get with google. :D
I know there is supposed to be a good Batman one (The Long Halloween, I think?), but I'm more interested in contained stories that aren't "one shots" of established comic series, like a Batman, or Hulk, or Superman.

poopontheshoes7 09-14-2008 07:18 PM

Well besides Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns:

Blankets( one of my favorite novels ever)
V For Vendetta
Anything Helloy
Bone
The Long Halloween
Hush
Y The Last Man
Preacher
Sandman
Arkham Asylum
Wanted (waaaaay better than the stupid movie)
Swamp Thing
Red Son (Superman)
Batman: Year One
Kingdom Come
Marvel Zombies
Marvel Zombie Vs. The Army of Darkness
Marvel Zombies 2
Sin City (Start with The Hard Goodbye, A Dame To Kill For, That Yellow Bastard, and The Big Fat Kill)
The Walking Dead
Spawn collections

Sh8dy Milkman 09-14-2008 09:21 PM

Transmetropolitan
Preacher
Sandman
Cairo
Midnight Nation
Pride of Baghdad
Sin City
Batman: Year One

Reigh Kaufman 09-14-2008 09:33 PM

I am a relative newcomer to this, but I can tell you that 'The Killing Joke' was my greatest disappointment thus far. Too short, too trite, and the finale was stupid.

I'd say:

The Long Halloween.
Preacher.
The Man Who Has Everything.
Road to Perdition.
Ghost World.
Persepolis.
Our Cancer Year.

electriclite 09-15-2008 01:53 PM

Persepolis

Black Hole

Love and Rockets

rilocay 09-15-2008 08:07 PM

You should definatly check out the original "The Crow". As violent as it is, the story is very moving.

The Mattimeo 09-15-2008 08:21 PM

I recommend The Goon. It's stylized like an old pulp comic, but the stories are simply bizarre. It's also the funniest comic i've ever read. The Goon is a mobster who defends his territory from the zombie priest and his hordes of zombies. T.he story grows from there, but you'll have to check it out yourself

Sh8dy Milkman 09-22-2008 11:06 PM

Scalped- is a relatively new title from Vertigo that you should definitely check out.

MarcoPolo 09-23-2008 02:45 PM

Which Hellboy graphic novel collection has the origins story in it?

xseanymacx 09-23-2008 04:42 PM

Wanted

Kings-Rook1 09-23-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcoPolo (Post 2873547)

Seed of Destruction

FilmJunkie1114 11-04-2008 04:14 PM

There are actually quite a few I can suggest. I LOVE anything where Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon collaborate (John Constantine: Hellblazer, Preacher, Punsiher). As for single, contained graphic novels, there is a recent one called The Alcoholic that was terrific. Among the graphic novels that I think are essential to anyone interested in comics is Watchmen, Batman: The Killing Joke, Kingdom Come, the Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale "color titles" (Spider-man: Blue, Daredevil: Yellow, etc., etc.). As for ongoing titles, Ultimate Spider-man is pretty consistently one of the strongest titles on the market, as well as the Ultimates, Ex Machina, and the large body of work from Vertigo.

l2uisl 11-07-2008 01:18 AM

You should definatly check out Kingdome Come, and The Walking Dead series.

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/pi...csc1cvr-01.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/15...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Powerslave 11-07-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 (Post 2867127)
Bone

This is one of the two or three best comics I've ever read. Not really mystery, action (though there is some awesome action in it), or supernatural, but I still wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with even the slightest interest in comics.

That said, I second Transmetropolitan. I never got around to reading all of it (I will one of these days), but what I read was damn good.

Also, and I dunno if you'd be interested, but Monster and especially 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa are long, both made up of many volumes, but two of the best mystery stories I've read, period. Absolutely mind-boggling stuff.

ArtFactoryRadio 02-07-2009 09:05 AM

I enjoyed Bluesman quite a bit.

And Maus, but everyone's read that one.

Ayestrain 03-16-2009 07:33 PM

Don't know what your tastes are, but these are some of my new and old faves:

The Filth (Grant Morrison)
Mr Punch (Neil Gaiman)
Planetary (Warren Ellis; any volume)
Animal Man (any Grant Morrison-penned collection)
Batman: Child Of Dreams
Batman: The Cult
Batman: Dark Victory
Batman: Detective (Paul Dini 'Tec run TPB)
Batman: Gothic
Batman & Son
Batman: The Black Glove
Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller, Vol. 2
Marvel Knights Daredevil: Underboss
Marvel: Civil War
Thunderbolts: Faith In Monsters
Thunderbolts: Caged Angels
Kingdom Come
Sin City: The Hard Goodbye
V For Vendetta

LisbethSalander 04-08-2009 03:44 PM

Scott Pilgrim Vol 1-5

Natty 04-17-2009 12:04 PM

I know that MarcoPolo doesn't really post anymore, but for the rest of you comic-book fans:

Garth Ennis' first set of Punisher stories 'Welcome back Frank' - great action series that is insanely violent and fun about The Punisher taking on a crazy old Mafia granny, Ennis gets darker with the other stories though.

Batman: Death in the Family - Jason Todd (Robin) leaves Batman to travel and find his mother, tragic consequences await though.
Batman: Knightfall - A mysterious character called Bane comes to Gotham City with the mission of destroying Batman
Batman: Hush - Similar to Knightfall actually but the mysterious character is masked and calls himself 'Hush', he arranges meetings with all the villians in an attempt to slowly exhaust Batman before revealing himself and taking Batman on in the final issue (like Lost, the twists at the end of each issue can be incredible, this certainly tics the action and mystery boxes).

And the best, which I can't believe no-one has recommended:

100 Bullets
About a mysterious old man who approaches people with an untraceable gun, 100 bullets and the chance to kill someone who has badly effected them. The essential premise is much better than I make it sound but basically some of the people he approaches eventually become part of a 'team', however, members of his old team are angry and violent, trying to track to the old man down. The saga is spread over 100 issues (I've only read the first 50 or so and its so frustrating not having the next issue so I'm just gonna collect them all and then read again, all are available now).

I think I got the premise kinda wrong as well, has anyone else read/been reading these?

Lucky Denver 06-10-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisbethSalander (Post 3013693)
Scott Pilgrim Vol 1-5

Second this. Got curious when Edgar Wright was announced to do the movie. Definitely a quirky, action romance but it's a lot of fun if you enjoy that kind of stuff. Now that I've read the books, I'm wondering how it will ever translate properly to film. Can't wait for Vol 6.

robkix 06-25-2009 03:42 PM

graphic novels

Great graphic novels to get are Preacher by Garth ennis it just rocks well written book. Sin city by FRANK MILLER,300 AS WELL Batman the killing joke by alan more kick ass graphic novel

Danger^Cart 06-25-2009 04:34 PM

I recommend everyone stop using the term, "graphic novel." It's a fucking comic book. Or just comic. Or just book.

Obviously anything by Alan Moore is outstanding. Definetely in a class all his own for intelligent storytelling. Swamp Thing is perhaps his most under-read work, which is a fucking shame.

I have a couple threads on here raving about Queen & Country/The Boys, the former of which you can pick up in its entirety, collected into four super thick, super awesome Definitive Edition trades. The latter is still a running series, and certainly the best one currently underway. The first 3 trades are available, with the fourth about to drop.

Tagia_Romero 07-06-2009 09:59 PM

Basically everybody's listed the recommendations I was gonna way, but do check out 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' 1 and 2 as well as 'The Black Dossier'.

ThePorkchopExpress 01-19-2010 02:01 AM

of all of them, i have loved Kingdom Come the most, then, Justice - very very good dc gnovels.

(alex ross is one of my favorites :P )

ScaryMinds 01-23-2010 04:03 PM

From Down Under "The List", it's split into four separate books, the first two of which are available online. This is some seriously disturbing stuff ... psycho killer with a religous mania, very intriguing, very original.

http://the-list.com.au/enlightenment/

trodge 03-19-2010 10:19 PM

I've been reading trades like crazy the last month or so...I'd highly recommend the following in no order...

DMZ
Transmetropolitan
Ex Machina
Y The Last Man
Secret War
Queen and Country
Powers
Walking Dead
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War
Umbrella Academy
Criminal

bourahioro 03-29-2010 06:37 PM

Preacher
The Dark Knight Returns
The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank
Wolverine: Origin
Dhampire

darknite125 03-29-2010 09:11 PM

Aside from the Watchmen the best graphic novel I've ever read is Blankets by Craig Thompson
also:
Batman: Dark Knight Returns
Superman: For All Seasons
Daredevil Yellow
Sandman: Preturnes and Nocturnes the rest are great too but this is where it all starts
Ed Brubaker's run in Daredevil and Captain America
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps. War
Yossel by Joe Kubert
Kingdom Come
Maus by Art Spiegelman the only graphic novel to win a Pulitzer

Gilpesh 04-05-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcoPolo (Post 2873547)

Pretty much all of them so far have added just a small piece to the whole puzzle of what the heck Hellboy is.

Dr.Frankenstein 04-06-2010 03:10 PM

My favorite Frank Millers 4 part "The Dark Knight Returns" 1986 Graphic Novella? rather than actual novel?

Gilpesh 04-06-2010 04:24 PM

Also. I just started Ex Machina... and it is awesome.

randychico 04-26-2010 06:37 PM

I'm just gonna say that "Y: The Las Man" is a masterpiece, it views every single ramification of any possibility of what it would be like if there were no men left on earth (except one of course) and not only that, it also gives us ninjas, robots, pírates and even the female version of the Swiss Guard

Ender 05-03-2010 01:06 AM

I'm just finishing Charles Burns' "Black Hole", which is really a brilliant piece of work. Burns' use of visual symbolism is unmatched in modern comics. Surreal, hypnotic, and morbidly fascinating, I read the whole thing cover to cover in just a few hours, I literally couldn't put it down. I'll be honest, I never did dig on "RAW" and the whole "underground" comic scene, but if this is what grew out of it then I guess I have to eat my words.

The entire thing can be picked up in one very sturdy paperback edition for only twenty bucks. I can't think of any better way to use the money.

greatballsoffire 07-02-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2uisl (Post 2901933)
You should definatly check out Kingdome Come, and The Walking Dead series.

Both are must haves. My favorites are 100 Bullets. Scalped. Elephantmen. Invincible. Ex Machina. DMZ. Criminal......to only name a FEW...

FireCaptain4 10-08-2010 04:06 PM

I just bought my very first comic yesterday: Marvel Zombies.

I haven't read it yet, but a good friend of mine said I'd probably love it and it would be a decent place for me to start (I wanted to pick up the first book of Y: The Last Man, but our store didn't have it).

So, I got home and looked up reviews on Amazon. They aren't so hot for Marvel Zombies (particularly books 3 and 4).

Is anyone here familiar with the Marvel Zombies series and can either sell me or deter me from future purchasing of the Marvel Zombie sequels? Thanks.