Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   The TV Forum (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   When Did Your Favorite TV Series Jump The Shark??? (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130752)

Antonio141 06-24-2009 08:19 PM

When Did Your Favorite TV Series Jump The Shark???

Moonlighting: When David & Maddie finally had sex!
E.R.: When Dr. Greene died.
Seinfeld: When George's fiancee died from licking the toxic stamps.
Will & Grace: The arrival of Harry Connick Jr., which ruined the dynamics between the Fab Four!
Twin Peaks: S2/E1: Killer Bob revealed as Laura's killer.
Chicago Hope: S2/E1: Mandy Patinkin's exit.
C.S.I.: Nick is buried alive/QT-directed episode.
The Brady Bunch: The arrival of cousin Oliver!
Dallas: Bobby in the shower/Pam's season-long dream!
Dynasty: The Moldavian Massacre!
Dark Shadows: The parallel time/alternate universe storyline!

JohnLocke2342 06-24-2009 08:28 PM

X Files : When Mulder gets abducted by aliens

John Galt 06-24-2009 08:48 PM

Lost hasn't jumped the shark; but in fact has only gotten better and better.
And there's only one season left. This could very well be the Rocky Marciano of television shows.(knock wood)

ilovemovies 06-24-2009 09:48 PM

Sliders was such a cool show until they started to change the cast.

I won't say Bones has jumped the shark. It's still an enjoyable show but ever since the godawful season 3 finale, I stopped trusting the writers and while the show is still entertaining it's no longer appointment tv for me. I catch it when I can and if I don't, then it doesn't bother me one bit. I still haven't seen last season's finale which apparently a lot of people hated as well.

Donnie_Darko 06-25-2009 11:58 AM

I don't know about Bones... that finale can't go anywhere good. There's a shark lurking somewhere, but is it up ahead, or just behind?

24 jumped it twice. First in season 5, then again in season 7... but I'm not sure which side of the shark Bauer is on anymore? Whatever, season 7 redeemed the horrible season 6 in my eyes.

House is getting close too. It's taking a glass bottom boat tour, just off the coast of Africa.

Sesame Street... I mean, come on! You kill Mr Hooper? WTF? :(
(am I showing my age here?)

jolanar 06-25-2009 01:25 PM

Heroes - Professional shark jumpers

Smallville - Jumped the shark for me in season 4 with the whole Lana being a witch thing. Thankfully they fully redeemed themselves with the bad ass seasons 5 and 6.

Lost - This entire season they have been borderline shark jumpers, but thankfully so far they have kept it mostly under control. I worry about the next season. I have a feeling the ending might be one giant shark jump that's going to piss a lot of people off.

jolanar 06-25-2009 01:27 PM

Oh and I almost forgot... the original shark jump!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE

Freddy Krueger 06-25-2009 02:31 PM

Seinfeld: After Season 7 when Larry David left.

HurricanesR1 06-25-2009 03:18 PM

Cosby Show: Olivia joined the cast

Darth Kenshin 06-26-2009 01:04 AM

24 - Jack faking his death to the Chinese at the end of season 4

Heroes - I guess "jumping the shark" doesn't really apply, because it wasn't really a specific moment, but it never recovered from Season 2

Scrubs - Elliot dumping Keith, which led to more Elliot/JD melodrama that I was already tired of

Smallville - the introduction of red kryptonite. Yeah, I quit on that show early, I know

The Wire - Omar's Spiderman jump to escape the shootout in season 5. That entire season felt less authentic than the rest of the show (and the powerful realism is what makes The Wire the greatest drama of all time) but Omar's move was icing on the cake

Gilpesh 06-26-2009 01:23 AM

Heroes - Jumped the shark when they didn't kill Sylar in the season one finale.

SpiralEye 06-26-2009 02:30 AM

Battlestar Galactica: The occupation of New Caprica and everything after. Seasons 3 and 4 were a chore after that.

Deadwood: Season 3, the arrival of Brian Cox's theatre troupe, and all their boring and pointless screentime. Also, the Aunt Lou character was terrible. And too much drunken Steve.

And as much as I hate to say it, I agree with DarthKenshin about The Wire Season 5. BUT, after the shining pinnacle that was season 4, it was to be expected. Not to mention the worst season of The Wire is still better than 99% of what else tv has to offer. :) Best show ever!

adamjohnson 06-26-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilpesh (Post 3064066)
Heroes - Jumped the shark when they didn't kill Sylar in the season one finale.

Id say it was a big, fat disappointment. the opposite of jumping the shark. that whole season 1 finale was pretty lame.

Reigh Kaufman 06-26-2009 03:05 AM

Happy Days - In the third episode of the Hollywood trilogy, Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli attempts to jump over a confined shark as part of a waterskiing stunt.

BakeTheMooCow 06-26-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin (Post 3064055)
The Wire - Omar's Spiderman jump to escape the shootout in season 5. That entire season felt less authentic than the rest of the show (and the powerful realism is what makes The Wire the greatest drama of all time) but Omar's move was icing on the cake

Toward the end, did Omar’s exploits ever get too unbelievable? I’m talking about when he jumped from that building and landed with only a broken leg.

That actually really happened. Omar’s character is based on a brother named Donnie Andrews. [On The Wire, the real-life Andrews played] the gentleman that got shot and killed in that apartment with Omar. I said, “Donnie, man, what happened that night? What was going through your mind to jump through the window?” He said, “Michael, I wasn’t thinking. There was no time to think. I was just trying to escape some hot ones.” Your partner just got murdered. You got people gunning at you. And there’s an open window? What are you going to do?

source

jus' saying. Yeah, I agree that Season 5 was the weakest, but I didn't think it got too unrealistic and for a show to jump the shark, there has to be a significant decline after the jump point.

Smiert Spionam 06-26-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanar (Post 3063352)
Heroes - Professional shark jumpers

Smallville - Jumped the shark for me in season 4 with the whole Lana being a witch thing.

Quoted for truth.

A few more...

Quantum Leap - The "Evil" Leapers? An "Evil" Ziggy? Come-the-fuck-on...

Weeds - The burning down of Agrestic/Majestic. I don't know why, but the show never really recovered after that, though I've yet to completely finish season 4.

Law & Order: SVU - (to the writers) A.D.A. Chabot is supposed to be in the witness protection program, you assholes! You faked her death twice! What the fuck is she doing here?!!!

HurricanesR1 06-26-2009 11:32 AM

OZ

When Kareem Said stabbed Simon Adebisi. After this, the show's storylines got really ridiculous at times and not to mention how horrible the prison was being run.

People could confess to muders but get away with them if they would rat on the person who made them do it. McManus could threaten to send prisoners to death row, solitary, the hole, etc if they acted up....then they would get in a fight or something and McManus would work something out with them and they stuck around.

And it's funny how easily they threw Cyril, Keller, Hoyt, and Kirk in death row yet they couldn't get Schillinger, Pancamo, Morales, or any of those other dudes in there who did much more than those who WERE in death row.

ilovemovies 06-26-2009 12:04 PM

A show that jumps the shark and then recovers later means that it DID NOT jump the shark. When a show jumps the shark, it means it NEVER recovers. That's why I think it's one of the most abused and misused phrases of all time.

Potter82 06-26-2009 08:29 PM

X-Files - Mulder gets abducted and leaves the show
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - after Buffy sacrifices herself at the end of season 5
Seinfeld - hard to say exactly where, probably when Larry David stopped working on the show
The Simpsons - again hard to say exactly when it happened but we all know it did. It happened somewhere in season 7 I think.

oh and the most recent one;

HOUSE - House goes insane

Potter82 06-26-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Galt (Post 3062828)
Lost hasn't jumped the shark; but in fact has only gotten better and better.
And there's only one season left. This could very well be the Rocky Marciano of television shows.(knock wood)

I recently was talking to a friend who said that all the time travelling going on just lost her and that in her opinon it had jumped the shark. I've heard other people say this and I think it has something to do with an aversion to sci-fi in general and not with the show per se. Whereas I totally disagreed, I thought the finale left the final season with a ridiculous amount of potential.It hasn't the dropped the ball yet and I don't expect it will in the final season.

SAI 06-28-2009 08:01 PM

ER: Romano gets killed by a falling helicopter, the season after having his arm cut off... by a falling helicopter

Macphist0 06-30-2009 01:27 AM

24 - The start of the downhill fall was changing the whole supporting cast with no reason in Season 4, but then you have moments like FAKE DEATHZ?!! Tony+Jack, Brother/Father villains rofl.

Lost - How they dealt and completely fucked up the other survivors. However to their credit, this is probably the only show I watch that actually got better after the jump, end of season 3-present has been sensational.

Scrubs - Can't explain it exactly but the cheesy and over-the-topness of season 5 onwards killed any credibility the show had.

The X-Files - The crapfest that was the season 6 finale/7 opening.

The West Wing - "We can't do this without Sorkin, what were we thinking continuing without him"

Alias - OMG wheres am i? how did i get here?

Smallville - errrrr, Lois? (She is a good character, but well that was the start of it becoming Superman and not Smallville....if you get me.)

The Sopranos - It kills me to say this since I loves the show...but gay Vito? Huh why did you make the MAIN storyline for a season, WHY?!

Seinfeld - The finale was like the only episode I really didn't like.....so that I guess, but does a finale count? Unlike some shows, while they lost their king writer, they were all settled so the show didn't lose all it's greatness without Larry.

Deadwood/The Wire/Curb/It's Always Sunny In Philly - Some shows don't go near a sea because they know the dangers of sharks.

guernica 07-01-2009 05:10 AM

Thats 70's show - When Eric goes to Africa

the_sneaker 07-01-2009 10:04 AM

24 - This isn't necessarily a "jump the shark" moment, but because of how fucking epic the first season was, going back for the second season was a little hard for me. I personally felt it really could not get any better than that season one finale...goddamn seven years later and I still consider that one of the greatest television moments in history.

Weeds - Start of the third season. You know, I didn't mind the left-leaning politcal bias of the show at all. Obviously, a television show about a drug dealing mother in suburbia isn't going to be the next 7th Heaven (thank God), but by the time the third season started, it felt like all the writers were doing was using the show as their soapbox to preach and preach about how much they:
A) Hate Bush.
B) Hate war.
C) Hate Bush.
D) Have to rag on anything Republican.
E) Hate Bush.
Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not a hard-core Republican (registered independent since the age of 17), but after a while, it got old. Turned into a television show about how much the characters hated the politics of the country, and occasionally about the misadventures of a mom selling pot.

House - Somewhere in the middle of third season, it started getting stagnant and never got better (for me). I do remember watching that episode where House and Cuddy are on the plane and thinking "wow, this is the shark moment."

Family Guy - I'm sorry, but it really has gotten old. I think Seth MacFarlane is a comedic genius...but he has also gotten very, very lazy when it comes to Family Guy: nothing new to add. Which bothers me a lot because I love MacFarlane; the viral stuff he releases online, or when he collaborates with Seth Green on Robot Chicken i

CSI - Just got old for me. I think it is a fantastic television show, in that it changed the genre of crime shows forever, but even the personal lives of the characters was not enough to keep me interested. There used to be a time where the only thing that was on my DVR was CSI, Maximum Exposure, and Entourage. Because CSI happened to play on three separate stations where I lived, I basically had non-stop access to the show...that, too, could be why it got old for me.

robk 07-17-2009 02:12 PM

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman: Fools say it was when the title characters got together, but it was really when their promised wedding in the middle of its 3rd season become that stupid wedding/clone/amnesia arc. We were promised a wedding but given f***ing Melrose Place instead. I still don't know how they expected people to continue watching the show after pulling this crap. Hence, I wasn't surprised at all that the show was cancelled the following year, despite being promised a 5th season.

Donnie_Darko 07-18-2009 04:35 AM

Not a favorite show, but a show I've been known to watch... cause it's on, being watched by someone else.

Ghost Whisperer - This season when they killed Jim, then had him "soul jump" (a little symbolic no? ) into another guy. Why kill him then? Oh, it gets better. It actually jumped the shark again, and got worse, by having "Jim" realize what happened, and become himself again, only in another guys body... THEN, she's pregnant with Jim's kid, and NOT the guy who is Jim's "soul vessel"... GAH! What a fucking joke of a story line.

I think a show can "jump the shark" twice, if it actually buries itself even more into tripe, by getting worse with one key move, or more.

I agree tho on one level. Once a show "jumps the shark", it doesn't recover. However, a show can seemingly JTS, and recover, but until it recovers, it has essentially Jumped The Shark. I feel this season of 24 recovered from season 6... but by the end, it was strapping the skis back on, and getting into the water.

ilovemovies 07-18-2009 05:00 AM

The thing is, any long running series is bound to have ups and downs. And that is why I think most of the time the term doesn't apply IMO.

Canto 07-19-2009 03:38 AM

The Simpsons - Around Season 11 or 12, the show just isnt the same anymore.

Kropotkinlives! 08-01-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3079076)
The thing is, any long running series is bound to have ups and downs. And that is why I think most of the time the term doesn't apply IMO.

So a better term here would be 'unforgiveable moment' perhaps? I see what you mean but i think a show that recovers and even subsequently betters itself can have a low point that is so low that the point in question is unforgiveable. I agree that this doesn't mean it has jumped the shark though.

If it is a season finale it is usually, although not always, more correctly described as a 'disappointment' than a JTS, since it's pretty difficult to change an ending, without possibly jumping the shark further and making a 'follow-up' episode.

Having just watched The Wire season 5 i would say the central plotline (homeless killings) was definitely a jump the shark moment. Never managed to pick itself up quite enough in the end after that. It would have been a poor storyline even in a lesser TV show, but with a show as brilliant as the Wire, it was utterly ruinous.

AnnaBanana 10-12-2009 05:03 PM

Ally McBeal: When Billy dies (so sad).

Saved by the Bell: The college years (they just can't go to college. For some reason its okay for them to be in middle school and high school, but not college).

Zebra 3 01-29-2010 03:07 PM

Happy Days - Not when Fonzie actually jumped the shark, but much later when Richie left.

darknite125 02-28-2010 01:12 AM

Doctor Who: The 1996 movie luckily when the show came back in 2005 things were set back to normal.

Buffy TVS: Dawn joining the cast.

Angel: When it quit being a supernatural themed detective show and became just a really long story about his son.

Gilmore Girls: When the original creator left.

My Hero: When the lead actor was replaced.

Family Guy: Was amusing when it started but the same recycled gags get really old really quick

Heroes: When it became clear nobody was ever really going to die thus none of the characters were in enough danger for me to care about what happened to them. And the writers don't even seem to have a clue what's going on anymore.

Terminal_83 02-28-2010 01:25 AM

These are some of my favorite shows that NEVER reclaimed their glory once they jumped the shark.

ER - Once Clooney left. Then it began to rely too heavily on gimmicks and stunts. Clooney really kept that show afloat.

The Simpsons - When it became gimmicky and had guest stars on for the sake of having guest stars. After that it never reclaimed its momentum because it was clear they were out of ideas.

Seinfeld - The whole reverse story episode. That's when it was obvious they were just messing with the formula for the hell of it.

Heroes - The beginning of season two. I was incredibly depressed after the season premiere of season two because it'd became clear that the show had already jumped the shark and never recovered.

Smallville - Season Four-present. After the whole Lana becoming a witch crap, the show just became worse and worse. As a Superman fan it's quite embarrassing.

Weeds - When it stopped becoming about weed and she started becoming a drug smuggler. Then it just deviated from the actual premise and started new ridiculous arcs.

Scrubs - After Laverne died. Then the show became predictable, clunky, and cheesy.

the_sneaker 02-28-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darknite125 (Post 3197065)
Family Guy: Was amusing when it started but the same recycled gags get really old really quick

Amen to that. I still find the show funny...but it really lost its edge quickly. It took The Simpson's a good 15 years to even reach a point where it was only a little worse than seasons past. Family Guy dropped pretty quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminal_83 (Post 3197073)
Weeds - When it stopped becoming about weed and she started becoming a drug smuggler. Then it just deviated from the actual premise and started new ridiculous arcs.

Agreed, though I would add that it jumped when it became more important for the writer's to use it as their political soap box than anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminal_83 (Post 3197073)
Scrubs - After Laverne died. Then the show became predictable, clunky, and cheesy.

I know why you feel that way, and I had some of those same feelings during the middle of the series, but the final episode of season 8 (which in my mind was the series finale) was so fucking good that it made up for a lot of the bad that happened at times.

Terminal_83 02-28-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_sneaker (Post 3197074)
Amen to that. I still find the show funny...but it really lost its edge quickly. It took The Simpsons a good 15 years to even reach a point where it was only a little worse than seasons past. Family Guy dropped pretty quickly.

I agree. Many family guy fans seem to ignore that obvious fact. The early episodes were more about plot than gags, then it became obvious the "writers" had run out of ideas so they made the plot mere filler for the horribly unfunny cutaways.

The show has always been void of any originality, but at least it was clever in some instances when it first started.

Terminal_83 02-28-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Agreed, though I would add that it jumped when it became more important for the writer's to use it as their political soap box than anything else.

I didn't think the political sop box thing hurt the show as much as straying from the actual premise of the series.

Quote:

I know why you feel that way, and I had some of those same feelings during the middle of the series, but the final episode of season 8 (which in my mind was the series finale) was so fucking good that it made up for a lot of the bad that happened at times.

I never saw it. I stopped watching once Laverne died and they recast the actress as a nurse who looked an awful lot like Laverne. It was a gag that I found very tired and lame. I just gave up watching.

the_sneaker 02-28-2010 02:16 AM

I would say finish the series. It really does end on a high note (or, I should say, the 8th season ends on a high note.)

Frank the Tank 02-28-2010 02:55 AM

The Simpsons - The Principle And The Pauper episode. Despite having a few good seasons after that and recovering nicely from the awful period of 2000-2005 to the point where it's a decent show again, I would say this is when it stopped feeling like the Simpsons of old. That is the point where the show became too reliant on gimmicky swerves and random guest stars without meaning. I thought Season 9 was the season when the show started adding random musical numbers during every other episode which always annoys me unless it's South Park. The likes of Danny DeVito, Kelsey Grammer, and Albert Brooks all added to the show but during the past 12 years or so most of the guest stars are just kind of there.

Terminal_83 02-28-2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_sneaker (Post 3197094)
I would say finish the series. It really does end on a high note (or, I should say, the 8th season ends on a high note.)

I probably will. Thanks.

Mongo 03-07-2010 08:46 AM

Oz - when Luke Perry joined the cast.