Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   All work and no play make Jake a dull boy. (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131543)

athf1980 07-25-2009 04:35 PM

All work and no play make Jake a dull boy.

Most of us here have jobs. Where do you people work at or just wanna complain about your job

I work at Mcdonalds. I mainly run the grill area during the afternoon.

I have had the job for 11 years. I started when i was Junior in High School.

blankpage 07-25-2009 04:51 PM

I've been working at a golf course as a server/waiter since April of last year. I serve the rich, and make great tips. Some great stories, and very little to complain about (for the most part). The only thing that sucks is the off-season, but I'm heading back to school this year.

Homyrrh 07-25-2009 05:14 PM

Just a student, but I'm starting to put some work into affiliate marketing.

BadCoverVersion 07-25-2009 05:23 PM

I have a part-time Receptionist position at an urban clothing designers/manufacturers 2 days a week. It involves meeting and greeting clients, making la-di-da coffees and posh teas and watering plants...and watching MTV Base on the surrounding Plasma screens.

It's a cushy number.

On my 'days off' I am a full-time Mother. MUCH more demanding.

I used to work in Retail Management. Absolutely soul destroying.

KcMsterpce 07-25-2009 05:42 PM

I was going to say, but I decided not to. My bad.

QUENTIN 07-25-2009 05:46 PM

I work at a media production center, mostly doing post-production work. I also freelance as a cinematographer, cameraman, and editor. I've been lucky and got to shoot for some local PBS affiliates, interviewing Bernadine Dohrn and Cornel West among others, but mostly it's pretty dull stuff I work on.

When I start grad school in September I'll go back to just the occasional freelance work and being a full-time student.

In the past I've been a GRE and SAT tutor for college and high school kids, an everything tutor for 1st-3rd graders, a research assistant at the Nuclear Studies Institute, a creative writing class TA, a financial assistant for the National Presbyterian School, a landscaper, a construction worker (just on one big remodeling project), video store clerk, Target salesperson, and very briefly a telemarketer. I think I liked my jobs in that order.

I can tell you that telemarketers hate calling you at least twice as much as you hate getting the calls and that it's easiest for everyone to just promptly hang up.

Reigh Kaufman 07-25-2009 08:07 PM

Teacher of Secondary School English (0.7) and Media (0.3). Before that, I worked in Public Relations, mainly writing press releases and articles for industry publications. Prior to that I did pretty much what QUENTIN did/does; freelance running, research, editing and so on and so forth for the BBC and a media company whose facilities were used by most major UK broadcasters.

On Friday afternoon I was advised that I had passed stage one of my application to join the police force.

When I was at school and college I worked for my mum, who ran a family owned geriatric nursing home. That was five years of wiping up shit and caring for old people who would die while I wiped their mouths with a lemon swab. Then I worked in a video store when I was at uni. It was the best job I ever had.

Cronos 07-25-2009 10:00 PM

Currently a QA Technician for a games company... which basically means I get paid to pl-... test games all day.

Homyrrh 07-25-2009 11:18 PM

Quentin, You worked for a Presbyterian School? This makes my day.

jolanar 07-25-2009 11:27 PM

Been working for Walmart for almost two years now. Will graduate from college next Spring. (Hopefully!)

ilovemovies 07-25-2009 11:58 PM

I'm currently unemployed. My last job was as a busser at Red Robin. But I've been looking for a job since December. I don't even know how many damn applications I've filled out over the past several months. A couple of interviews but otherwise nothing as a result. It really fucking sucks because I NEED a friggin' job already and haven't been able to find one.

The only good thing about it is it's freed up time for me to start focusing more on my writing. But I'm not getting any paychecks from that as of now.

Shinigami 07-26-2009 12:40 AM

I'm currently employed as a starving artist. In laymen terms this means I'm an unrealistic, idealistic, creativity inclined freeloading romantic who's classed above bums and/or raving lunatics only because he carries around a paper and pen. We come in a variety of douchebags such as the garage band, the coffee house poet, or the street musician. Please give us money because we're too full of ourselves to get a real job.

electriclite 07-26-2009 01:39 AM

I've been an archivist at a branding and consulting agency with some high profile clients for over a year now. The majority of my day is spent off-site in a non-temperature controlled warehouse taking inventory, and yet I am the envy of all those other employees who have to remain at the office.

I got the job when my loan repayment grace period was starting to end. I'm happy to say that thanks to this job I was able to pay for my first trip to Europe (solo), help pay for new apartment items and groceries for my brother and sister when they were low on cash, and has made it possible for me to finish paying off one private loan from college by the end of October (I still have 3 others, but their interest is nowhere near as bad) and I'm making another self-financed trip to Europe.

Despite this, I'm past this job already and am looking for something more closely related to my interests (illustration, graphic design, film/animation). I'm currently working with someone on editing a documentary.

Before that I was an assistant for a curator and before that I interned at an independent production company, and a graphics house, and had a paid internship at a DVD production company.

Heisenberg 07-26-2009 05:28 AM

Currently unemployed, but have a interview this thursday which i'm feeling good about.

jackson13 07-26-2009 09:00 AM

I'm a high school librarian. I was a substitute teacher, along with a part time librarian at our towns public library, and the high school position opened up and a former teacher of mine (and friend) helped me get the job. I absolutely love it. And, having been off work since the end of May, I'm damn ready to get back to work. Never thought a 3 month vacation would be a bad thing but man, I'm bored off my ass and slowly going broke.

the clever guy 07-27-2009 06:25 PM

I'm the head bartender at an upper class country club. I love what I do, but I hate the people I work with. Like blankpage said, the off-season blows....hard. Other jobs I've had:

Gamestop on and off for about 6 years
Best Buy as loss prevention and head of loss prevention for 4 years
Sears as undercover security for a year and a half
Circuit Shitty as a customer service supervisor for 8 months
A high volume bar in Chicago as a barback for 2 months (not enough money, too far of a drive)
I've had other jobs, but they were menial..

I need a fucking career. :(