Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best Buy - Troubled Waters Ahead... (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141083)

JohnIan 03-09-2011 12:07 AM

Best Buy - Troubled Waters Ahead...

Found out about the post this evening - was webbed yesterday via Yahoo.

Quote:

Forecast For Best Buy: Worst Is Yet to Come
(provided by The Wall Street Journal)

Monday, March 7, 2011
by John Jannarone

Just two years after its arch rival was knocked out of the ring, Best Buy (NYSE: BBY - News) is itself on the ropes.

The company revealed a problem last December that has left investors scrambling for answers. Even with bankrupt Circuit City out of the picture, the retailer was losing market share, especially in the key television and computing categories. Best Buy shares have since tumbled 21% and now trade at a mere nine times this fiscal year's consensus earnings.

Investors shouldn't assume Best Buy simply needs time to recover. Rather, the threats it faces are likely only to worsen. Take Amazon.com (Nasdaq: AMZN - News), whose relentless growth has undercut the raison d'Ítre of specialty retailers. That is true both in books -- where Borders Group recently filed for bankruptcy protection -- and in electronics.

Indeed, Amazon's electronics and nonmedia revenue rose 66% to $18 billion last year, helping it lift market share in different segments. Its share of LCD TV sets, for instance, nearly tripled, to 3.7% at the end of 2010 from 1.3% in 2007, estimates research firm Traqline. Its share of portable audio devices rose to 11% from 4.6% in the same period.

A key to that success is that Amazon beats bricks-and-mortar retailers across the board on average electronics prices, a Wells Fargo study showed. Best Buy, on the other hand, traditionally hasn't tried to compete on price alone but has preferred to highlight its tech-savvy staff and wider selection.

Its selection, at least, probably meant more a few years ago, when manufacturers like Sony (NYSE: SNE - News) sold products to Best Buy but not to nonspecialty retailers. But that has changed. Sony now sells to Costco Wholesale (Nasdaq: COST - News), for instance.

And it has become much easier for consumers to compare prices -- ironically, using applications on the smartphones they can purchase in Best Buy. Shoppers can visit Best Buy stores to examine items before buying them elsewhere. Or, as Greg Melich of research firm ISI Group says, they are using Best Buy as Amazon's "showroom."

Best Buy's market share is still so big -- it accounts for nearly a third of U.S. consumer-electronics sales -- it is reasonable to assume many Best Buy shoppers make decisions primarily based on price.

That helps explain why Best Buy is exploring a switch to consistently competitive prices rather than strategically timed sales.

But history suggests changes in pricing strategies can be problematic. David Schick of Stifel Nicolaus points out that BJ's Wholesale Club (NYSE: BJ - News) decided to lower prices on some items in 2002 to defend market share. The result: Sales at stores open more than a year quickly improved. But gross margins fell for eight straight quarters. BJ's shares also fell more than 70% from April 2002 to April 2003, when rival Costco's fell just 20%. While BJ's stock has recovered somewhat since then, it hasn't caught up with Costco's.

And reducing prices might mean Best Buy has to cut costs, such as for its sales staff. That leaves the question of what a specialty retailer still has to offer.

Best Buy's edge has been apparent when shoppers wanted new technologies like LED TVs, which it sold with more success than rivals. But high hopes for 3-D television have faded, and there is nothing promising on the immediate horizon. Moreover, the major source of must-have electronics is Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL - News), whose own retail-store chain is increasingly a rival even as Best Buy stocks Apple products. Sales at Apple's U.S. stores rose 83% to $2.8 billion in the fourth quarter of 2010, estimates Mr. Melich, making it the third-biggest electronics retailer in the U.S.

Unless a new technology takes hold, the worst of times are likely to come for Best Buy investors.
If you haven't, you should read the comments to that post; upset customers and store staff. Interesting stuff.

My purchases at the store have been exclusively media, DVDs and CDs. Though I have had my share of problems. I had a Reward Zone voucher a couple years ago, brought it to the register and was told that I could not use it with sale items. WTF? She wouldn't listen to reason, ended not buying, leaving the certificate. It only happed once, but it still pisses me off.

Recently I had a DVD that was all scratched up. I wanted a refund, $13 bucks, since they didn't have another copy. I paid cash for it so I didn't expect any problems. Nope, they would issue store credit or pick up something else of the same value. No, I need my refund to buy it elsewhere. I walked away from Customer Service desk without that DVD or money, I was angry. The next day I called them up, I wanted my refund. I ended up getting it. But it shouldn't have been that difficult.

Okay. That been said, I don't want them to disappear. It does pain me, the reduction of media inventory is depressing. I used to go to them and spend a good hour or more just looking at what they had - making lists. As bad as my local store is, I've seen the Rancho Cucamonga (CA) one. They moved into the old location of Circuit City. The inventory was/is... insulting. I counted four rows; everything crammed together. It's a mess. It's a frakken cup - if they want to add new titles, something has to be removed. Their old location had an awesome selection... had.

- - -

I can't speak for others, but for myself - I want to see the item(s) I buy. Check to see if the case has a floater, the condition of the slipcover, if the movie came with one. Check to see if the security sticker overlaps onto the wrapaound (removing it will tear the paper). And be exposed to new titles. Look, I buy stuff from Amazon and Ebay. But I much prefer to see it face to face. I really don't understand those who only buy online. It's like going through life with blinders. Sure they give recommendation on what you might like, but its nowhere as good as looking in person.

Prices. I do have to agree with the commenters, they have increased their tags. Older stuff selling for more they they should. That and their sales of late suck. I remember when they would have tons of movies for ten bucks, now it's just a trickle.

As for customer service? I've always had problems, even when they were doing great - early '00. It's not much of a downgrade for me. Where it was, was at Circuit City. There used to be people who could help, then they downsized and were replaced by idiots. There was this old woman who know her stuff in media. If I needed something, she was the gal to go to. Fired.

- - -

I truely hope this does not happen. I WANT to see the products, period. If Best Buy dies, that leaves me with Wal-Mart and Target and the latter has been reducing their media inventory.

And yeah, I've been spending less at the store since there is LESS to buy there.

SkyNet 03-09-2011 12:54 AM

Good article.. and I cant lie when I say that this news makes me so insanely very happy!

Best Buy used to be my mecca, i could go in there and be lost for hours.

AND THEN I decided why not get paid to do what i was doing for free, so i got a job there and to say that working for that company was soul sucking is an under statement.

I understand that retail is the business of making money, but i was not prepared for the falsities that they taught you when working there.

I am a person who thinks that if a person has a problem, and I can give them that answer without them having to spend money, then that is what should be done, as a human being that is the right thing, but Best Buy conditions you to not give the person the simple and cost effective solution, they want you to shove as much shit as you can into their baskets to fix that problem.

One manager when training me kept saying "walk up to them and say "hey nice shoes, this camera would go nice with those shoes"... shit like that, and believe me, that is NO exaggeration! And that is how best Buy has brain washed their employees, they must think their clientele are a bunch of morons because anyone who would fall for "Nice shoes, buy this" is a fucking imbecile!

Then, I worked in the camera section mainly, so If i sold a camera to a person, and that person already had a memory card and didnt need any of the other accessories that go with said camera, about 30 minutes later, when the numbers came out (numbers were updated hourly) I would not get recognized for doing my job and selling the camera (And not just selling a camera, but being knowledgeable enough to actually do my job) but I would get talked down to because I did not sell any accessories with the camera. Why would i get yelled at for that, because in their terms "Accessories have a higher mark up than the cameras, so the cameras may make the store 5 bucks in Margin (Margin is profit) while an accessory may make us $13-20 to any number really worth of margin.

Best Buy treats their customers not like they are "Bobby and Sue, the good hard working americans who just want to buy a nice camera" but rather "DOllar Sign & Dollar Sign who need to be told that they need to buy everything that they probably dont need, not to improve their enjoyment of the initial product, but so that we can make as much money as is possible on that purchase"

Then there was the Credit Card... something that I got into many arguments with my managers over.

Now, due to my very own Negligence, while in college I accrued a shit load of Credit Card debt (Debt for which i just recently got out of). And because of my own idiocy, I have a disdain for Credit.

Now, if I was stupid enough to rack up a crucial amount of debt, and I am a reasonably smart person and pride myself on having excellent common sense, than imagine if someone who is completely ignorant to the concept of credit gets a CC. That can be a kid at 18, or a person at 20-30-40-50-60-70 and so on.

Best Buy requires that every employee should have at the very least ONE credit card application PER SHIFT. So if you work 5 days a week, you need to have 5 credit card applications in that week. If you don't, you got yelled at. That means that every person that comes in, you need to not only offer the credit card to, but you have to hit them over the head with it, be a car salesmen.

And I had a problem selling credit to people. Credit can ruin peoples lives (And the area of the store i worked at, trust me when I say these were not people that were fiscally responsible, believe me). So you offer credit, and if they are approved, they can rack up a shit load of debt and it will take them 30 years to pay it off, if ever... but as long as best buy makes the sell and gets that interest, who gives a shit, right?!

Now with the best buy cc, as is with most CC's i think, the way they sucker you in is with that 18 months no interest. So if you buy an SLR camera (the nice ones) for $1500, you get the CC and pay for it with that, you have 18 months to pay the thing off without accruing any interest, which sounds pretty bad ass, and if you are a responsible person, that is a good deal. But let's be honest here, most people arent that smart, especially when it comes to credit, and when they hear 18 months no interest, and the fact that they can have that bad ass camera (with accessories of course, because with that credit Card people will buy more accessories, best Buy counts on it, this is what i was flat out told) without having to dip into their checking right away.. well shit, sign me up. but what happens is, after 18 months, if you even have 5 cents that you still need to pay on that Camera, you will accrue the ENTIRE INTEREST OF THOSE 18 MONTHS! That means that a $1500 dollar purchase after those 18 months are up and you have not paid off the balance IN FULL, you will be charged $300 a month (thats a 20% interest rate!!!) for those 18 months... you just accrued in interest damn near 4 times what the initial cost of the camera was! This is what Best Buy (and all Creditors to be honest) count on.

The only things i still buy at best Buy are on sale media titles.. because when a title is on sale, best Buy generally makes no money on that title. Media titles have a smaller margin than other items, and when it goes on sale, generally it dips to around the price the store originally paid for it, thus Best Buy is making no money off of me.

I would love to say that these thoughts are solely mine.. but everyone i worked with had the same mentality of the store (except the managers, who have all sipped the retail juice)... and if this soul less company were to go out of business it would be fine with me!

I do a lot of my shopping on Amazon now as well, they have the best customer service, if you get hosed by a 3rd party seller, they are fuckin awesome at correcting that. they ship fast, their shipping rates are reasonable and I have not once had a problem with their company. Perhaps it is because they don't deal in the brick and morter side of things that is what keeps them thriving and honest, but whatever it is, they are a company I enjoy using and will continue to use in the future.

(I realize that was long as fuck! But I just REALLY REALLY REALLY fucking hate Best Buy, it was my favorite store once upon a time, but once you get a glimpse at the inner workings, it just ruins it forever)!

edit: oh ya, i also forgot to mention, NEVER EVER buy Cables or Wires from there (Stay away from accessories in general, but cables ane wires in particular) the mark up on those things is RIDICULOUS! They will sell a $15 HDMI cable for close to $90! I get it, places have to make money, that is how you thrive.. but i think these companies going out of business may finally be saying that there is an honest way and an immoral way of making that money, and consumers are at a point where they would rather spend their time and money with companies that treat them like human beings and not just Dollar Signs being shepherded in and out of their store!

HoboJoeBob 03-09-2011 04:51 AM

Best Buy's DVD selection seems to get worse and worse every time I go there. They are almost as bad as Wal-Mart when it comes to dvd's these days. At least Wal-Mart is cheaper though.

ilovemovies 03-09-2011 05:02 AM

Target tends to have the best prices. Best Buy and Wal-Mart duke it out for second place.

I use to think Best Buy lived up to it's name for camcorders, ect. But then we recently got an hhgregg store. I went inside, and their prices are definitely better.

AspectRatio1986 03-09-2011 04:06 PM

I enjoyed every word of the rant, Skynet. Honestly though this doesn't bother me much at all, since Circuit City went out of business I've bought probably 95% of my dvds and Blu Rays from Amazon, especially since I got a Rewards credit card. Years ago I couldnt wait week to week to see Circuit City's weekly ad, I must have built almost half my collection from their $5 dvd sales.

shoe1985 03-10-2011 12:46 PM

The truth is that we are moving towards an online platform for shopping. I could not tell you the last time I was in a retail store. I go onto Amazon or Ebay for pretty much everything. The only shopping I do is basically for food at the local mom and pop grocery store.

I never had any issues with Best Buy when I shopped there. Reasonable prices, but compared to say online stores, they cannot compete. Plus, the selection online is something brick and mortar stores cannot compete with. B&M have only so much room, where a place like Amazon has a massive warehouse to put all excess. Yes, BB has a warehouse, but only so much shelf spacing.

The internet is a wonderful tool, but not good for employment numbers. You cannot stop evolution from happening, just hope for the best it has little negative effects on you.

ilovemovies 03-10-2011 12:57 PM

I would be sad if the day comes where there are no dvd stores out there. Yes, I've done my share of online buying too, but I still like to go to Wal-Mart, Target and Best Buy and actually look around their dvd selection (it consistently seems to be shrinking at my local wal-mart though sadly) and actually buy something there. There is still something about the physical action of actually going out and buying something that will always attract me. :)

ilovemovies 03-10-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoe1985 (Post 3372403)
The truth is that we are moving towards an online platform for shopping. I could not tell you the last time I was in a retail store. I go onto Amazon or Ebay for pretty much everything. The only shopping I do is basically for food at the local mom and pop grocery store.

I never had any issues with Best Buy when I shopped there. Reasonable prices, but compared to say online stores, they cannot compete. Plus, the selection online is something brick and mortar stores cannot compete with. B&M have only so much room, where a place like Amazon has a massive warehouse to put all excess. Yes, BB has a warehouse, but only so much shelf spacing.

The internet is a wonderful tool, but not good for employment numbers. You cannot stop evolution from happening, just hope for the best it has little negative effects on you.

It's funny because all of those stores (Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart) you can actually buy from them online as well. It's not like you have to physically go to the store and buy stuff there.

DookieMercury 03-11-2011 01:11 AM

I used to work for the old competitor Circuit City. After reading the statements from cats that worked at Best Buy I have to say my experiences weren't that bad. It's a shame the brick and mortar specialty stores are going by the wayside for the megastores, most of the time the staff barely know how to work a register much less talk about tech equipment.

Duke Nukem 05-06-2011 07:51 PM

This is not the news I want to hear. As far as I recall, Best Buy has never had a great movie selection (and it was never as wonderful as Suncoast Video at its best) but dammit, I need a video store or store with video selection! Like Johnlan, I also like seeing the items I am purchasing. I like having an excuse to step outside my house, take in the fresh air, drive to a video store of sorts, interact somewhat with other human beings, and physically hold a DVD in my hands. Best Buy, as well as Target, is all that's left. Best Buy is the better of the two, and if that goes...I don't know what I'm going to do. Video stores and the online bullshit should be co-existing. It's hard to believe that there is a dramatically higher number of people who would rather live inside a box and push buttons to get what they need instead of being a little adventurous.

*Sigh*

I don't love Best Buy, and it's shame about the behind-the-scene politics going on there, but I need it. I need to go to Best Buy once in a while to see what's new, or what's old and hadn't peaked my interest until that moment. This sucks. I don't look forward to a future where I have to turn on my computer every time I want to do something, and we're being bullied more and more into such an existence.

SkyNet 05-06-2011 09:09 PM

Having recently moved to California, I can say that shopping online is even more appealing.

California has a 9% sales tax, i go to buy a $24.99 blu ray and the total is over $27... i get it through amazon, no tax!

I do enjoy looking through a stores selection of DVD's, but saving sometimes 3, 4, 5 dollars on tax is worth it even more to stay home.

DarkKnight81 05-06-2011 10:50 PM

I buy 95% of my DVD's and electronics from Amazon. I occasionally stroll into Best Buy and check out their deals on blurays but I rarely buy there. Like most of you have pointed out, the selection is shit. Their prices are hit and miss, occasionally there is a great deal but more often than not they are way overpriced. When was the last time somebody actually paid $30 for a single movie on bluray? I rarely spend over $15 shopping on Amazon. Not to mention, you can find ANYTHING on Amazon. I can't feel sorry for Best Buy even though I use to do most of my shopping there. I'm not going to leave my house, drive 15 minutes across town to spend 25-50% more on a DVD that I likely won't even find. If Best buy thinks I'm willing to screw myself over for the sake of old fashion shopping they've lost their fucking minds.

Best example of why I don't shop at Best Buy. Alien Anthology on bluray: $60 on Amazon, $100 at Best Buy. You do the math.

Film Fan BeAm2k 05-06-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 (Post 3395841)
Best example of why I don't shop at Best Buy. Alien Anthology on bluray: $60 on Amazon, $100 at Best Buy. You do the math.

$29.99 at Costco. :)

I stroll through Best Buy occasionally but rarely buy anything. I mainly go there to try and find Steelbooks which they rarely have...

DarkKnight81 05-06-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Film Fan BeAm2k (Post 3395857)
$29.99 at Costco. :)

I stroll through Best Buy occasionally but rarely buy anything. I mainly go there to try and find Steelbooks which they rarely have...

Damn, the cheapest I ever saw it there was $70. I saw it at FYE for $130. I don't understand how that store stays in business. I've seen single disc blurays of old movies for $35 at FYE, good luck selling those.

cloneofkelso 05-07-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 (Post 3395858)
Damn, the cheapest I ever saw it there was $70. I saw it at FYE for $130. I don't understand how that store stays in business. I've seen single disc blurays of old movies for $35 at FYE, good luck selling those.

They are closing alot of stores down too, i can't even find one where i live. The 2 that they did have got shut down, they had killer clearence sales though!:D
I love shopping online, unlimited selection and much better prices, as long as Ebay and Amazon are around these stores will continue to fold.

Duke Nukem 05-07-2011 03:54 PM

Well, I don't know what to believe. I went to Best Buy today and talked to one of the girls there. She said they were doing just fine. She was nice and I don't think she was patronizing me. I bought some DVDs and it wasn't so expensive.

The Undertaker/WWE boxset - $18
Automaton Transfusion/Black sheep 2 for 1 - $10
Hereafter - $20
Hook - $5

Altogether it was $42

There must have some deals and sales going on. I definitely know that "Hereafter" was marked down to $10. Then again, are deals like this the reason they are supposedly keeping customers coming but still losing money? I don't know. I was very upset about it last night, but I'm not going to worry. I'll wait and see.

Still, I find it to be a real shame that the magic of going to video stores and electronics stores with videos has mostly faded out as a result of overpriced items and questionable business practices. It seems like the people who run them are shooting themselves in the foot. I know that EVERYTHING is about $ and that they have to price items the way they do, so it could be the economy as well. Just a shame that it has to be going down this way.

JohnIan 09-20-2011 02:57 AM

Update...

Crap. My store better not be one of the thirty - article link.

Quote:

Best Buy Q2 Income Falls 30%
(Home Media Magazine)

September 13th, 2011
by Erik Gruenwedel

Consumer electronics retailer's earnings hurt by same-store sales declines in TVs, video games and packaged media entertainment.

Best Buy Co. Sept. 13 reported second-quarter (ended Aug. 27) net income of $177 million, down 30% from net income of $254 million during the previous-year period.

The Minneapolis-based consumer electronics retailer cited the ongoing economic sluggishness and downward trend in overall CE industry sales for the downturn, underscored by a 2.8% decline in same-store sales (open at least 14 months).

"We're still facing an uncertain macro [economic] environment," CEO Brian Dunn said in a call with analysts.

Sales of televisions, including connected units and 3D, failed to impress with double-digit same-store sales declines. Best Buy continues to focus onsales of larger-screen TVs (from 46-inches), representing 60% of TV sales in the quarter.

"We went into this year with expectations that TV sales would be soft," CFO Jim Muehlbauer said during a call discussing the fiscal results.

Mobile phones stood out as a primary growth segment (despite year-over-year comp decline), along with tablet computers and appliances, with domestic same-store sales up 9%.

Best Buy continues to explore subleasing store space, including a 50% reduction in store space in 30 stores this year. Meanwhile, Best Buy added 12 Five Star CE stores in China, bringing its footprint in the country to 178 stores. Same-store comps in China increased 7%.

Domestic revenue dropped 1.5% to $8.3 billion, while total sales remained flat at $11.3 billion.
I know I've bought less, since they have less media inventory. Hell, they didn't even have the box set for "Citizen Kane: 70th Anniversary" on DVD just Blu-Ray.

SkyNet 09-20-2011 04:29 AM

I can only imagine the shady tactics they are employing now. Considering I worked there when they were still up, around the time Circuit City went under.

So even in that period, they were employing shady business tactics to gain profit, now that they are facing an uncertain future, where bankruptcy is not out of the question, I bet they are even more hard core in how they get the consumer to purchase more of what they don't need

JohnIan 09-20-2011 11:19 PM

I spoke to a guy at management today.

Only one store in California will have that reduction; the store on the other side of Reche Canyon.

MikeMovie 09-20-2011 11:39 PM

Damn, I hope Best Buy doesn't go under. That's where I buy half of my music from. Albums that cost 15=20 at Target and FYE are only 10 bucks at my Best Buy. I also manage to find some cheap gems in the DVD section from time to time.

JohnIan 03-31-2012 03:21 AM

Best Buy Closing 50 More Stores

Just found out about this a moment ago via Los Angeles Times.
Quote:

Bye-Bye Big Box: Best Buy To Downsize Stores After Profit Drops

Thursday, March 29th, 2012
By Tiffany Hsu

Best Buyís sprawling blue big-box stores will start disappearing this year, replaced by more compact shops and mobile-only stores as the countryís largest consumer electronics retailer tries to reclaim revenue from rivals such as Amazon.

The company will shut down 50 of its large-model stores this year while testing new branches that are 20% smaller in San Antonio, Texas, St. Paul, Minn. and Best Buyís Minneapolis hometown.

The downsizing has been in the works for months. The electronics giant also wants to cut $800 million out of its costs by 2015, including $250 million within the next fiscal year.

The more petite "Connected Stores," where employees will sell e-readers, tablet computers, cellphones and service plans, will be completed by Christmas, Best Buy said Thursday, while reporting a profit slump in its fourth quarter.

In 2013, the company plans to open 100 small-scale mobile stores on top of the 305 that are currently open. By 2016, the total number will expand to 600 to 800 mobile stops.

Amid the store openings, Best Buy also wants to save $300 million by slicing 400 jobs out of its payroll.

"In order to help make technology work for every one of our customers and transform our business as the consumer electronics industry continues to evolve, we are taking major actions to improve our operating performance," said Chief Executive Brian J. Dunn in a statement.

In the quarter that ended March 3, Best Buy suffered a $1.7-billion loss, or $4.89 per share, compared to a $651-million profit, or $1.62 per share gain, over the same period a year ago. But without the companyís $2.6 billion in one-time charges, adjusted earnings were $2.47 a share.

Revenue was up 3% to $16.08 billion, but analysts had expected more than $1 billion on top of that. Same-store sales at locations open more than a year tumbled 2.4%.

Over the full fiscal year, Best Buy lost $1.23 billion, or $3.36 per share after making a $1.28 billion profit, or $3.08 per share gain, the year before. Revenue increased 2% to $50.7 billion, though same-store sales were down 1.7%.
Don't have a list, I've been looking. Man, I hope my store isn't among them. It's the ONLY place to find a half way decent selection of DVDs and CDs. The inventories at Target and Wal-Mart here are piss poor.

- - -

In an unrated bit of news, here's the list of Sears/K-Mart closures by state. I'm gald my local store isn't on the list... at least not yet. I shop there from time to time, K-Mart? When I was little I used to go there all the time. Saw my first CD player there. Now - no. There is only one store and it's two towns away. Bleak is what I would call it, the parking lot is always half if not a quarter filled. 'How does it say in business?' That and the most unhappy employees.

Duke Nukem 03-31-2012 08:04 PM

One more portion of my heart is now being stomped on. First Suncoast Video, then Sam Goody, then my local mom & pop store, and now this. Not going to cry about it. Already have. Have known that it very likely will happen. And it may happen to the store in my area. If it does, it does. Reality has already sucked for a while, and it will continue to suck.

Frankenberry Reborn 03-31-2012 08:48 PM

Best Buy has sucked since the late 90's/early 2000's. I won't miss it as much as Media Play (best fucking store ever), Suncoast, Sam Goody and Tower Records. Until a brick-and-mortar joint can offer quality customer service, reasonable prices AND a wide selection, this will continue to happen.

JohnIan 03-31-2012 10:36 PM

What I remember from then; I started my DVD collection/collecting in November of 2003. I would be looking for a particular title(s) and couldn't find it. I need help.

Finding, anybody who could help was a chore. I saw employees who would see me raising a hand and go out of their way to walk around me. WTF? Can't say when it stopped. Now a days I go in and get help, quick.

I haven't really bought anything much beyond media. I did buy a laptop hard drive some years back (for a portable enclosure). My original buy was the wrong size, made an exchange, wasn't trouble. Well... I had to wait. The guy was helping two elder folks with their VERY FIRST computer purchase, a Mac. That took forever. All the other staff was with other customers. I needed this guy since he knew the various physical HD sizes. I had my case to show him.

- - -

Tuesday I'm going to my store and ask around. They do pretty brisk business. The parking lot is pretty full most of the time which makes sense, they're the only one with a greater inventory.

- - -

Your comment had me thinking, Duke Nukem. Dead stores.

Circuit City
Sun Coast/FYE
Warehouse
The Good Guys
Sam Goody
Tower Records
Media Play
Boarders
Music Land
The Wow

Any other that's missing?

jaw2929 03-31-2012 11:16 PM

If Best Buy goes under, I can tell you one thing:

I am NOT going to miss the reps at the registers, trying to sell you unnecessary magazine subscriptions and ridiculous warranties on stupid shit like a CD or something minor.

I also won't miss the rep's walking around the store, hounding you down to try and "help you" find whatever. I can do it myself! Maybe I'm not looking for ANYTHING in particular. I know it's a sale industry, I get that. But shopping Amazon.com or Ebay eliminates all that nonsensical bullshit.

Duke Nukem 03-31-2012 11:20 PM

No more dead stores that I know of. I didn't know of half the places on that list. Still sad. If my Best Buy store does get rid of its DVD/Blu-ray selection and focus all on iTechnology and other crap, all I will have left is Barnes & Noble as my primary source. And the biggest reason I don't buy movies and support them more often, is because I'm not rich. I have to spend my money within reason. Can't overspend. I've been thinking of going a little bit nuts when I get my income tax money. If they still have their DVD selection by then, I will definitely go a little bit nuts.

Last year, I asked Best Buy employees on two occasions how they were doing and they said business was okay (I showed concern and asked them to be honest). Maybe they are. Maybe they are doing okay in that area. But maybe the employess didn't know what upper-management knew. I will find out in a week. And if they're changing their merchandise within the year, I will have to buy tons of DVD player cleaners. Need to prepare for the future.

jaw2929 03-31-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnIan (Post 3536743)
Your comment had me thinking, Duke Nukem. Dead stores.

Circuit City
Sun Coast/FYE
Warehouse
The Good Guys
Sam Goody
Tower Records
Media Play
Boarders
Music Land
The Wow

Any other that's missing?

Virgin Megastore

Badbird 03-31-2012 11:43 PM

I honestly won't miss Best Buy if they go belly up. I don't think they will, but they are pretty much dead to me now. I used to do a ton of shopping at Best Buy. I mean a ton of shopping. Now, though, I think I may have bought three things there in the past year.

Their music section used to be awesome. So robust and extensive. Now it's an after thought. It's like they don't even want you to go in that section. It's awkward and hard to shop in. The shelves literally go all the way to the ground; you practically have to crawl on your hands and knees to dig down there. In the end, their music section right now is only slightly bigger than that of a Wal Mart or Target. IE, only new releases or major catalog titles.

The DVD section isn't faring much better. They basically split the section in half - one part for DVD, one part for Blu Ray, piss poor selection for both if you want something more than a year old. I can't remember the last DVD movie I bought from then. Occasionally they have a steep sale on TV shows - picked up Knight Rider Season 4 a few weeks ago; haven't been to the store since. I usually buy DVDs used anymore.

I pretty much buy all my video games at Toys R Us.

All Best Buy seems interested in selling right now are TVs and cell phones. I already have one of each (TV from Nebraska Furniture Mart), so I have no real need for a Best Buy anymore.

ilovemovies 04-01-2012 01:41 AM

Best Buy is the only really great place to buy Blu-Rays in my area. Target and Wal-Mart suck. If my local Best Buy goes down I'm gonna be pissed.

I hope the ones in Downingtown, PA and King of Prussia, PA are safe. Wilmington, DE too for that matter.

jaw2929 04-01-2012 02:50 AM

King of Prussia.... Still always found that to be one helluva name for a town/city. :p

JohnIan 04-01-2012 03:06 AM

Man, how could I forget that? Bought a few CDs from them, they were the only place to find "Velvet Chain".

Circuit City
Sun Coast/FYE
Warehouse
The Good Guys
Sam Goody
Tower Records
Media Play
Boarders
Music Land
The Wow
Virgin Megastore

- - -

The media selection has dropped significantly, but its still better than the stores around here and pretty much the only game in town. There was Barnes & Noble, but they dropped their media in favor for a huge (Apple Store inspired) area for selling Nooks. I know not all B&N did this, but it suck that my options continue to shrink.

I remember going there (B&N) last year and seeing a ton of boxes. They were packing up all the CDs and movies away. No sale, just a wimper.

I do buy stuff online, but I much prefer to see the item in person. What condition it is, does it come with a slipcover - what shape is that in.

Mom and pop stores; man, there hasn't been one here in years. What comes to mind are a couple of stores from the VHS days - that long ago.

ilovemovies 04-01-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaw2929 (Post 3536810)
King of Prussia.... Still always found that to be one helluva name for a town/city. :p

Speaking of King of Prussia, the funny thing about the King of Prussia mall is that despite the fact it's the 2nd largest mall in the country and 4th largest in the world, there are maybe only a couple of stores in it that I care for.

It does have 2 awesome food courts though.

JohnIan 04-02-2012 10:47 PM

Another voice on the topic, Home Media Magazine.

Quote:

Best Buy Redesign A Bad Idea

Thursday, March 29th, 2012
By Thomas K. Arnold

Itís sad for me to hear Best Buy is in trouble. The consumer electronics chain, which played a key role in getting DVD off the ground back in the late 1990s, has seen a significant decline in same-store sales and says it will close 50 big-box stores this year. The culprit, the chain says, is that more and more customers are using its stores as a showroom to check out new products and then buying them, for less, online.

Not me. For the past decade, every computer, every iPad, every iPod, every printer, every printer ink cartridge and every TV Iíve purchased has been bought at Best Buy. I figure I spent upwards of $10,000 on electronic gadgets from Best Buy throughout the past decade, and nothing Iíve bought there ever disappointed me.

One reason I keep going back to Best Buy is the prices are competitive. The other is that I liked the look of the stores.
I have my own ideas as to why Best Buy is floundering, and theyíre not the same ones CEO Brian Dunn cited in an analysts call.

For starters, I donít like the new store layouts the chain has been rolling out. The old footprint was inviting and friendly; the new look appears cluttered and too focused on products like the iPad and mobile phones that, quite frankly, I can get elsewhere.

Putting entertainment software Ė Blu-ray Discs, DVDs and CDs Ė in the back also wasnít a smart move. A big chunk of the packaged media business comes from impulse buys, which is why Target, for example, is now selling discs at endcaps near the checkout lanes.

Best Buy has a great assortment of packaged media, but you wouldnít know it. Itís tucked all the way in the back. Out of sight, out of mind. Furthermore, as I understand it, the department has been outsourced, so the personal care and attention given to product choice, merchandising and display under the Joe Pagano/Gary Arnold eras is conspicuously absent.

Walmartís embrace of UltraViolet underscores the mass merchantís commitment to packaged media, which it always has recognized as a traffic driver. I canít fathom why Best Buy isnít taking the same approach. When packaged media sales started declining, Walmart did something about it. Best Buyís tactic appears to be moving discs into the back, as though theyíre being punished for something.

Customer service also has suffered. Donít get me wrong Ė Best Buy associates still are helpful and generally well-mannered. The problem is, you can never find one Ė and thereís not much cross-departmental training so that if, for example, you approach the computer clerk with a question about TVs, he wonít be of much use. Associates should be trained about the entire product mix, and then rotated from time to time so that they can learn more about every product line Best Buy carries, instead of being stuck in one department.

I say this in the best spirit of constructive criticism. Iím a loyal Best Buy shopper, and I want to do what I can to make sure it stays afloat.

jaw2929 04-02-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

For starters, I don’t like the new store layouts the chain has been rolling out. The old footprint was inviting and friendly; the new look appears cluttered and too focused on products like the iPad and mobile phones that, quite frankly, I can get elsewhere.

Putting entertainment software – Blu-ray Discs, DVDs and CDs – in the back also wasn’t a smart move. A big chunk of the packaged media business comes from impulse buys, which is why Target, for example, is now selling discs at endcaps near the checkout lanes.
This is an EXCELLENT point. I couldn't agree MORE with this! That's just ass-backwards strategizing and organization on their part. I've never really made any major/big-ass purchases from Best Buy. Maybe the closest have been a GPS (before every phone had 'em) and a DVD/VCR combo recorder.

Otherwise, it's all CD's/DVD's/Blu-Ray purchases for me, when I am there. I've a feeling that a lot of their sales goes towards those three things as well, and it's just fucking asinine to have the store's layout with those primarily purchased products in the BACK of the store!

JohnIan 04-02-2012 11:28 PM

The store I go to (San Berardino, CA) has the media pretty much near the front. With a five dollar bin ($4.99, $4.50 - whatever on sale that week), pretty much in front, as soon as you walk straight in.

I've been to two other stores, but had their media in the middle, haven't see one with it in the back. Yeah, that sounds imbecilic.

moose1132 04-02-2012 11:32 PM

The new layout of Best Buy does suck, but the one near me oddly had movies in the back of the store before and now they're like in the middle. BUT, they've made the aisles much smaller. It's really annoying. There's only room for one person down an aisle where the movies are width-wise. If someone else comes along, you can't just step aside for them to walk by. One of you literally has to walk out of the aisle so they can get through. That's how narrow they are now. You also can't really step back and get a good view of what's on the shelf. Since you're so close everything is all right on top of you. I imagine if someone was claustrophobic it would be a nightmare for them. Back when the aisles were a bit more spacious, I remember browsing for a long time just seeing what I could find. Now, whenever I go there, it's for something specific and I go in, find it real quick, and leave.

jaw2929 04-02-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose1132 (Post 3537479)
The new layout of Best Buy does suck, but the one near me oddly had movies in the back of the store before and now they're like in the middle. BUT, they've made the aisles much smaller. It's really annoying. There's only room for one person down an aisle where the movies are width-wise. If someone else comes along, you can't just step aside for them to walk by. One of you literally has to walk out of the aisle so they can get through. That's how narrow they are now. You also can't really step back and get a good view of what's on the shelf. Since you're so close everything is all right on top of you. I imagine if someone was claustrophobic it would be a nightmare for them. Back when the aisles were a bit more spacious, I remember browsing for a long time just seeing what I could find. Now, whenever I go there, it's for something specific and I go in, find it real quick, and leave.

This is the reason more & more people will just buy whatever they want from Amazon or Ebay/online. There's none of that bullshit to worry about!

ilovemovies 04-03-2012 01:09 AM

I don't know about you guys, but at my local Best Buy the first thing you see as you walk in are the just released movies/tv shows on DVD/Blu-Ray. Behind them are other recently released DVD/Blu-Rays. And then music/CD's. And then the full DVD/Blu-Ray section.

In the back of the store is where all the TV's, DVD/Blu-Ray players are. I rather like this layout. It looks good. And the televisions always get your eye even thought they are in the back. It's a good layout.

To the left are where the dishwashers, washing machines and dryers and refridgerators and other appliances of that ilk. And to the right of the store is where you'll find laptops, camcorders, etc. Like I said, it's a good layout.

shoe1985 04-03-2012 12:23 PM

I went in a Best Buy near me for the first time in months, maybe a year or longer. I walked in to look at the movies, and I had to walk around the store to find the DVDs/Blu Rays section. After finding it, they had nothing in stock. It was like they just threw stuff on the shelf.

I miss Circuit City. The one near me moved to a new location, and that seemed to be the time they began going downhill. Their old location was setup perfectly, and I spent hours browsing their movie section. The staff was fantastic and willing to help with any need.

Best Buy was good, but the last few years their company went downhill.

More and more people are streaming movies and buying less physical formats, and physical media is dying. Even with the high quality of Blu Rays, people are looking at price, and even with Netflix raising prices, they are using that.

adamjohnson 04-03-2012 12:33 PM

Best Buy should fire all their retail workers, close all their stores, and become solely an internet business.