Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Harold Camping says May 21st is the end of the world as we know it (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141964)

rocknblues81 05-16-2011 09:35 AM

Harold Camping says May 21st is the end of the world as we know it

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/we...w/15grist.html
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/03/ma...omsday-predic/

He says Satan took over the church starting in 1988 and the world will end on May 21st.

Here is his bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Camping

Do you think we're all finished??
rocknblues81 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

jolanar 05-16-2011 10:21 AM

Wasn't there some guy getting coverage only 2 or 3 weeks ago saying the world would end on May 12th?

I'm starting to see a pattern here. I'll be right back I'm gonna go start a pretend end of the world cult so I can get 15 minutes of "fame."

creekin111 05-16-2011 10:59 AM

I'm going to tell these people to give me all their money.

vesaker 05-16-2011 11:31 AM

Good thing you posted his Wiki page cause my first question would have been "who the hell is this qwak?"

The funny thing i don't get about ppl like this is what exactly are they trying to accomplish, especially this guy? it says in the second paragraph on the Wiki that "He had previously predicted that the Rapture would occur in September 1994.". Right there, after that date came and went, the guy should have just shut the hell up about it.

Who the hell is going to care about his prediction now that he's already been wrong? Even if he some how ends up being right no one is taking him seriously so what would it really be helping?

DaveyJoeG 05-16-2011 12:00 PM

May 21st? He's not leaving himself much time for book sales.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/psychic3.gif

rocknblues81 05-16-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vesaker (Post 3399106)
Good thing you posted his Wiki page cause my first question would have been "who the hell is this qwak?"

The funny thing i don't get about ppl like this is what exactly are they trying to accomplish, especially this guy? it says in the second paragraph on the Wiki that "He had previously predicted that the Rapture would occur in September 1994.". Right there, after that date came and went, the guy should have just shut the hell up about it.

Who the hell is going to care about his prediction now that he's already been wrong? Even if he some how ends up being right no one is taking him seriously so what would it really be helping?

Well, he says he was pretty sure back in 1994 and he is 100% sure now. THIS IS IT.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 12:42 PM

I have to admit, all the judgement day talk is beginning to make me feel rather uneasy. I know there have been predictions every year, but I began reading more in depth about it, and it is kind of scary even though I'm always skeptical of those religious freaks. I am not a fan of bible thumpers, and I really wish they'd stop. In the bible, it says not even the angels know when.

Here's a quick overview/my thoughts on this issue:

First off, I really hope the rapture won't be in this lifetime. If it's going to happen, I rather be dead, because it's kind of scary to think I could sitting around with my loved ones, then poof we're gone. I'm not ready to go yet.

I will always believe this line, "do us on earth as it is in heaven".

Those people who have done wrong, really terrible things, they should be the ones who have to answer to God firsthand.

I've never understood the bible, the way the rapture is planned out. Shouldn't it be the other way around? The terrible people should have to answer to God firsthand while leaving the good folks with peace on earth. I know, that would be too good to be true. But I really hope to see may 22nd.

I enjoy life. I mean, when God is ready to take me and my loved ones, that's for him to know, but it isn't right now. Since the prediction began, I've really sat down and thought about my life. And I've thought about life itself. This is my own personal belief here. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Here's my bottom line question:

If God had planned for the rapture long ago, why did he even bother creating a world and people to begin with?

I have more questions than answers, indeed.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 12:54 PM

He's predicting the end of the world to be Oct 21st! Hell, that is my month! I have pumpkins to carve and movies to watch, and parties to go to.

No one is taking away my month! Autumn is my fave time of year!

It bothers me that we can't even enjoy the simple things in life without some nut predicting something to that extent!

Can someone, some where, out there try and help me ease my frustrations with this?

free 05-16-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

will always believe this line, "do us on earth as it is in heaven".
By God, I'm converting now!

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 01:34 PM

you are converting to what? what do you mean?

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 01:35 PM

If the prediction is true, does it mean all of my belongings will be left for the psychos to rummage through?

please note my frustation and my sarcasm.

QUENTIN 05-16-2011 01:53 PM

People are citing his 1994 prediction as some kind of mark against him and the divine certainty of his prophecy, which I don't get.

He was already mistaken once, what are the odds he'll be mistaken again? Obviously he's overdue to be right about this.

I'll be in my bunker.

vesaker 05-16-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG (Post 3399116)
May 21st? He's not leaving himself much time for book sales.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/psychic3.gif

heh, good one

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknblues81 (Post 3399125)
Well, he says he was pretty sure back in 1994 and he is 100% sure now. THIS IS IT.

LMAO

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 02:20 PM

What's so scary is that there are a lot of people who are strangely enough hoping he's right. There are a lot of people who are seemingly happy for the world to end. Yet no one seems to have an answer as to why they feel this way.

There's a question that rises. For those who want the world over, why haven't those people tried to make the world a better place?

i.e instead, those who have spent tons of money on banners, billboard posters for the prediction, they should have spent that money on homeless, sick, and starving children.

jolanar 05-16-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyDukeGirl (Post 3399196)
i.e instead, those who have spent tons of money on banners, billboard posters for the prediction, they should have spent that money on homeless, sick, and starving children.

If they really believed the world was ending it wouldn't do much good either way. The flip side of that is if they really believed the world was ending then telling people about it really doesn't accomplish anything either. As long as 3rd rate websites give them attention there will always be people claiming the world will end.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 02:56 PM

Jolanar, that is true. I feel a it more at ease now. :)

My whole bottom line theory on the rapture, whenever it may happen. They say it's to show his power. But in reality, God shows his power everyday just by the fact that we are here and living through bad times and good. The good folks on this earth, obviously God lives in our hearts, and as long as he lives in your heart, then that's all we need to survive on earth.

People don't have to be overly religious to feel the power of God. I think some people go overboard with all the religious stuff and it drives me bananas.

free 05-16-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

God shows his power everyday just by the fact that we are here and living through bad times and good.
Except the people who have died. God hated them.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 05:14 PM

Except the people who have died?

Trench_Ozzie23 05-16-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyDukeGirl (Post 3399196)
What's so scary is that there are a lot of people who are strangely enough hoping he's right. There are a lot of people who are seemingly happy for the world to end. Yet no one seems to have an answer as to why they feel this way.

If he's right, then we won't have to worry about paying bills much longer. I'm down with that. ^_~ I think the people who want the world to end don't see it as being able to be fixed and would rather it just go kaput rather than continue to press on in life.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 05:55 PM

The reason I say people seem to want the world to end so badly is because they just say it without a reason as to why. And the ones who force the prediction until there are threads like these.

I can't fix the world, but going back to a previous comment. I'll never understand why if God had planned for an "end of the world", then why he created a world to begin with, I'll never know. That way, we wouldn't have anything to worry about at all.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 06:29 PM

As for paying bills, lol I've always wondered why Autumn lasts only 6 weeks while summer lasts for 6 months? It's oddly strange enough that we have to run the central air in the longest months of unbarable weather. That's rather crazy.

I mean, wouldn't we rather have Autumn lasting for 6 months? Think of how much money we could save.

Anyway, if the May 21st rapture prediction is true, (speaking for myself and my loved ones)the way I enjoy life. The fact of never being able to watch It's A Wonderful Life and other fave movies while preparring Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. Being around loved ones, and my sweet schanuzers. Remincing the good old days. Firelogs crackling on a cozy winters night, watching movies with some warm apple cider. To never be able to do that again. That's pretty hard to take.

And I feel sad for the good-hearted, innocent people in our world who have lost their lives. It does seem like the good die young, which is sad, and another issue.

Ok, that's my rant for the day.

Trench_Ozzie23 05-16-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyDukeGirl (Post 3399309)
As for paying bills, lol I've always wondered why Autumn lasts only 6 weeks while summer lasts for 6 months? It's oddly strange enough that we have to run the central air in the longest months of unbarable weather. That's rather crazy.

I mean, wouldn't we rather have Autumn lasting for 6 months? Think of how much money we could save.

Anyway, if the May 21st rapture prediction is true, (speaking for myself and my loved ones)the way I enjoy life. The fact of never being able to watch It's A Wonderful Life and other fave movies while preparring Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. Being around loved ones, and my sweet schanuzers. Remincing the good old days. Firelogs crackling on a cozy winters night, watching movies with some warm apple cider. To never be able to do that again. That's pretty hard to take.

And I feel sad for the good-hearted, innocent people in our world who have lost their lives. It does seem like the good die young, which is sad, and another issue.

Ok, that's my rant for the day.

Your comments on Autumn being 6 weeks and Summer being 6 months (not true where I live, it only lasts 3 and Autumn lasts 3, but I digress) does bring up a valid question -- how much of what we have gone through life believing is actual fact and how much of it is just exploitation by the people in charge to bring in more money?? Really makes ya wonder.

I respect your point of view; having been one of the people who wanted the world to end at one point (it was a long, extremely shitty period for me when I was in that frame of mind) that's why I put out the idea that I did. And as for the God question: it does make the whole idea seem rather pointless, doesn't it? It's why I stand by the idea that god is the Self, it's a feeling -- now, I think there is a reason for that existence of that feeling such as there's a reason for when we get the feeling of love, even if we don't understand it. But that's just my take on it.

And I'd better stop there before I get too carried away lol

Darth Kenshin 05-16-2011 08:40 PM

I don't understand how any one reading the bible can honestly think he/she can predict the end of the world. Even Jesus, on earth, said that only the Father knows the day and the hour, and that Jesus' return will come as a thief in the night, and so forth and so on. I'm not going to give my personal beliefs here, but suffice it to say, as someone very familiar with the bible, I don't understand how this guy can logically conclude that he knows when the end of the world is coming. Seems rather arrogant.

I don't know where he gets his ideals from. Salvation cannot be achieved through good works or prayer? You know what... I don't even wanna get started. To each his own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyDukeGirl (Post 3399309)

Actually it's not, because according to this guy, people who died before the rapture are unaffected and remain annihilated. Again, not something that can be ascertained from the bible.

smok3h 05-16-2011 10:35 PM

I heard something about this on NPR that just made me sick. Apparently this man and his wife/girlfriend, are fully convinced the world is going to end on the 21st. They have like a one year child as well. Anyways, they have completely budgeted their lives and done everything so that come May 21st they will not have any money left. These people deserve to have their child taken away from them if you ask me.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 11:03 PM

Trench, I've had and do have my vulnerabilties, no question. I just don't want to know the time, day and year when me or my loved ones go. If that makes sense.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-16-2011 11:04 PM

Smok, I agree, if those people are whining about their money problems, maybe they shouldn't have had a kid to begin with.

ericdraven 05-16-2011 11:54 PM

Yeah. They are just doing this just to draw attention to their craziness and their lack of reasoning. They are just as bad as the guy that claimed he would burn the koran no matter what then folded like a cheap piece of paper when one person told him off.

jaw2929 05-17-2011 02:59 AM

May 21st will come & go, just like January 1, 2000 did - Just like 12/21/12 will as well. I'm so sick of this "end of the world" fucking horse-shit nonsense.

ilovemovies 05-17-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer (Post 3399498)
May 21st will come & go, just like January 1, 2000 did - Just like 12/21/12 will as well. I'm so sick of this "end of the world" fucking horse-shit nonsense.

Well, I don't know if the world will end on December 21st, 2012. Remember the only thing we really know about that date is that that is when the alien invasion will take place. Unless of course, Mulder and Scully can prevent it from happening. But we shall see about that.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-17-2011 12:11 PM

To Smok3h

Hey Smok, I saw your MFC photo, and I think you are darn cute! You remind me of a cute snowboarder. :)

smok3h 05-17-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaisyDukeGirl (Post 3399660)
Hey Smok, I saw your MFC photo, and I think you are darn cute! You remind me of a cute snowboarder. :)

haha, thanks, I usually get surfer but snowboarder is good too!

But on the topic of the world ending, I don't think anyone could honestly tell you that the idea of a Judgment Day doesn't scare them a little bit. I don't really see any point in worrying about it though, if it comes it comes, and there's not a damn thing any of us can do about it. The one thing I'm not gonna do is live my life in fear of it, though.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-17-2011 02:30 PM

Surfer beach guy! Indeed you do! :) I used to be called surfer girl! Is that a coincidence or what? I'm naturally brunette, but blonde now. And I love the beach! Snowskiiing most definitely.

Anyway, yeah living in fear is terrible. I try hard not to, but sometimes I can't keep from feeling that way. And sometimes there are people who don't make it any easier. argg!

DaisyDukeGirl 05-17-2011 05:28 PM

I'm still worrying just a little about it. I mean, what supposedly happens in the rapture? Will we be alive when we're taken up into the air? Will we know it when it happens? Wow, the thought seems pretty scary.

Someone told me the other day, that it won't be in this lifetime.

BUT..............

Here's a question:

Something about Lucifer had taken over a church in 1988. Just the sound of that is pretty creepy.

It's supposedly that God will put Satan into the lake of fire.

May I ask why God hasn't already done that a long time ago?

countchocula 05-17-2011 05:33 PM

Daisy,

Don't worry about it.

Regards,
Count Chocula

DaisyDukeGirl 05-17-2011 05:36 PM

The intial guy Camping or whatever the hell his name is, and his followers. They could actually be held liable for causing distress on me, couldn't they?

I know I've heard of predictions before, but they pretty hell bent on making us believe this one.

As I've said, regardless whenever it may happen, I just don't think it's a good idea for people to make predictions because I really in truly do NOT want to know the time, day, month, year when it's time for me to go.

I think it's odd how they have banners on cars and rvs, parading around like it's suppose to be something to look forward to. pffft.

DaisyDukeGirl 05-17-2011 05:37 PM

Count! Read my latest message. Tell me if I'm not worried? lol

DaisyDukeGirl 05-17-2011 05:40 PM

One more thing, those guys parading the prediction around sure isn't the Macy's Day parade!

Elgyn 05-17-2011 05:52 PM

Hey what do you guys think of "Transformers 3"?

DaisyDukeGirl 05-17-2011 06:08 PM

Smok, I need a glass of wine.

athf1980 05-17-2011 11:24 PM

he is an idiot.