Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Horror Movie talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   31 days of Halloween (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143546)

ggtimmo 09-21-2011 03:28 PM

31 days of Halloween

Just curious if anyone on here does a 31 days of Halloween movie marathon. 31+ films in 31 days. Another site I frequent has a post like this and though it might be cool on here since you all seem to be more active!

My 1st film of the month to watch will be Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. A great start to the month! Think Ill go for 50 this month!

Evil Ed 09-21-2011 04:23 PM

It's hard to do for me with work, walking the dog, playing softball/hockey, watching football, plus getting some gaming in there, hanging with the girlfriend/friends, but I usually get around 15-20 for October. Also, I'll catch a lot of horror on AMC, TCM, or SYFY, maybe not watch it to completion but I'll definitely catch some. When I was still in high school and college I would definitely get over 50 every October. Ah, the glory days....

One thing I do though, is watch, and the only time I will watch through the year, the Evil Dead every Halloween night around 11:00 pm to close out the holiday. For me it is the magnum opus to usher in the last month of fall, and end the season off right. Plus it keeps the film fresh for me by only watching it once a year on a special occasion.

ggtimmo 09-21-2011 04:31 PM

I usaully try to end mine with Night of the Living Dead. Just hearing it makes if feel like Halloween. Thats probably why I watch it several times a year!

sarah1980 09-22-2011 07:12 AM

i'm gonna try more then 31 films this year since i've got alot of blind buys in the horror genre

ilovemovies 09-22-2011 07:55 AM

I'm gonna try and watch as many horror movies as possible in the month of October but I doubt I'll be watching a movie per day.

WetOREO 09-29-2011 04:43 PM

I'll be participating, but I'm gonna TRY and do a double feature everynight, and marathons on the weekend. My first movie on Saturday will be the viewing of my new Grindhouse Blu-ray, shown in all it's glory for the 1st time since 2007. Can't wait to share the month with everyone.:D

ThirstyFly 09-29-2011 06:10 PM

Yup, I'm doing it for the first time. I'm also following Eric's rules on the podcast where I'll be watching movies I haven't seen before. Anything I'm re-watching will be something I haven't seen in a long time (trying to keep it 5+ years since last viewing).

MisoGenie 09-30-2011 03:17 PM

I may be participating, but I won't be devoted. October is gonna be a busy month for me! I'll probably toss in a few old Horror classics when I get the opportunity for tradition's sake, though. I expect some Evil Dead, Halloween, Phantasm, etc.

ThirstyFly 10-04-2011 01:34 AM

I'm updating my progress if anyone cares on my MFC. Got 3 movies down so far.

ggtimmo 09-04-2012 04:00 PM

This thread didn't seem to take off too much last year. Probably some of my fault because I started it. Starting in the next couple weeks I'm gonna do a countdown to Halloween and post everything I watch through Halloween. I hope to get more of you horror fans more involved this year since this is our time of the year.

kru3ger 09-05-2012 11:44 AM

I'm down, I'll do the same. Kind of already started :p lol

AspectRatio1986 09-05-2012 02:33 PM

I f'n love October!! Born on the 29th so growing up it was presents and candy two days later, what more could a kid ask for!

I probably won't get around to 31 horror flicks, but I'll try to remember to post which ones I'm watching!

Digifruitella 09-05-2012 02:58 PM

I'm going to be doing my first ever 31 Days of Halloween marathon, watching a new film everyday, as well as watching any of the classics.

I'm compiling a list all this month, so far I've got

The Ninth Configuration
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ation_ver1.jpg

The Werewolf vs. The Vampire Woman
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pire_Woman.jpg

If anyone wants to recommend any flick, i'd welcome it. Anything rare, and obscure is fair game.

MisoGenie 09-05-2012 04:31 PM

I'd love to participate, but I doubt I will due to college. Best of luck to all of those who do, however!

Duke Nukem 09-05-2012 11:30 PM

For starters, I got plenty of new movies from the last Monster Mania convention, which I'm sharing with reviews at The Video Store I just opened down the street. Did watch the big AMC horror marathon in 2010 and caught some movies I never saw before. But wasn't there for it in 2011. Was too busy.

Have been thinking about re-watching the "Saw" series when October comes around - "If it's Halloween, it must be Saw"! 2004-2010 was so wonderful a time period and it was such an original, fresh horror series. After the last movie, I finally got the whole series on DVD and saw the whole thing back-to-back in November of 2010. It's been almost two years since, so it's either this October or next October. Even thought about doing a review thread on the series. But it may be too fresh in everyones' minds and prove to be a less than interesting thread. I already have The Video Store to attend to.

kru3ger 09-06-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke Nukem (Post 3595612)
For starters, I got plenty of new movies from the last Monster Mania convention, which I'm sharing with reviews at The Video Store I just opened down the street. Did watch the big AMC horror marathon in 2010 and caught some movies I never saw before. But wasn't there for it in 2011. Was too busy.

Have been thinking about re-watching the "Saw" series when October comes around - "If it's Halloween, it must be Saw"! 2004-2010 was so wonderful a time period and it was such an original, fresh horror series. After the last movie, I finally got the whole series on DVD and saw the whole thing back-to-back in November of 2010. It's been almost two years since, so it's either this October or next October. Even thought about doing a review thread on the series. But it may be too fresh in everyones' minds and prove to be a less than interesting thread. I already have The Video Store to attend to.

I have STILL yet to see any Saw movie past 4 or 5. Even though I own them all lol.So this Halloween I plan on watching all of them, 7 is it? Also plan on watching all the Elm Streets of course, but I also feel like fitting in a lot of zombie flicks this year since I didn't get to last year. It will be interesting to see what I end up watching though. I think we should all suggest each other some movies we might think as "gems"

Duke Nukem 09-06-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kru3ger (Post 3595797)
I have STILL yet to see any Saw movie past 4 or 5. Even though I own them all lol.So this Halloween I plan on watching all of them, 7 is it? Also plan on watching all the Elm Streets of course, but I also feel like fitting in a lot of zombie flicks this year since I didn't get to last year. It will be interesting to see what I end up watching though. I think we should all suggest each other some movies we might think as "gems"

Yes, seven. Up to "Saw VI" and then "Saw: The Final Chapter." I like them all, except for "Saw II." It was the first and only real misstep for me. People have particular issues with "Saw V," but it still got a lot of things right that "Saw II" didn't. "Saw: The Final Chapter" was in 3D in theaters and did a good job of ending off the series and delivering the 3D aspect. My viewpoint might be too positively biased, but give the rest of the series a chance. You might like it.

ThirstyFly 09-15-2012 02:23 PM

I actually made it to 31 movies last year. I was totally worn out by the end of it though. Here's what I got though last year:

#1 Dead Heat (Oct 1) (rewatch)
#2 Torso/I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale (Oct 2)
#3 Basket Case (Oct 3)
#4 Maniac (Oct 4)
#5 Cigarette Burns (Masters of Horror) (Oct 5)
#6 Dreams in the Witch-House (Masters of Horror) (Oct 5)
#7 The Fair-Haired Child (Masters of Horror) (Oct 6)
#8 Dead Alive/Braindead (Oct 6) (rewatch)
#9 Jenifer (Masters of Horror) (Oct 7)
#10 Hellraiser (Oct 11)
#11 Sick Girl (Masters of Horror) (Oct 11)
#12 Deer Woman (Masters of Horror) (Oct 12)
#13 Slumber Party Massacre II (Oct 13)
#14 Slumber Party Massacre III (Oct 13)
#15 The Thing (1982) (Oct 14) (rewatch)
#16 Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 (Oct 15)
#17 Basket Case 2 (Oct 16)
#18 Basket Case 3: The Progeny (Oct 17)
#19 It's Alive (1974) (Oct 18)
#20 It Lives Again (Oct 19)
#21 It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (Oct 20)
#22 Halloween (1978) (Oct 22) (rewatch)
#23 Pet Sematary (Oct 25) (rewatch)
#24 The Exorcist (Extended Director's Cut) (Oct 26)
#25 Zombie/Zombi 2 (Oct 27) (rewatch)
#26 TerrorVision (Oct 27)
#27 Red State (Oct 28)
#28 The Loved Ones (Oct 29)
#29 Dead Snow/Død snø (Oct 29)
#30 House/Hausu (Oct 30)
#31 Re-Animator (Oct 31) (rewatch)

I only had a few rewatches in there, all of those were because I had not watched the Blu-ray yet, with the exception of Pet Sematary (hadn't seen it since I was a child when it was new and had the DVD from a multi-movie set I bought) and Re-Animator (my reward for hitting 31).

I'm trying to do the same thing this year. Any rewatches will be because I either haven't seen it since I was a child or I have just gotten the Blu-ray. I'm also trying to group my viewings this year up into themes, for example double features or sub-genre related movies. I'm still working out what I'd like to watch though.

Duke Nukem 09-15-2012 06:05 PM

Wow, good on you, ThirstyFly. Never did the full 31 days before. Never felt compelled to. I know that one normally can't watch horror movies every day like that. Sometimes, you spoil yourself with too much horror, and need to focus your attention on anything else afterwards.

October is now looking pretty heavy for me. If not revisiting the "Saw" series, it might just be "The Children of The Corn" series instead. Haven't seen beyond Part 3. Found the "Miramax Classics" DVD (haha!) of Parts 2 through 7 at Walmart. Six crappy movies for $5! Without question, I had to get the original movie as well. Also $5. Well worth it. Can't begin without the original.

I have an old gem to recommend - "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" from 1923 with Lon Chaney. It's part of a 50-movie boxset with some classics and turkeys. You can probably get it on regular DVD if you look for it. I'm currently reading Doug Bradley's book "Behind The Mask of The Horror Actor" and learning so much about Shamans and ancient theater in the early centuries to Lon Chaney, Boris Karloff and on in the last hundred years. After reading enough, I finally felt compelled to watch one of the silent films and it was so rewarding. If you have an appreciation and open mind for the silent films, you should see "Hunchback," and probably 1925's "Phantom of the Opera" as well. Looking forward to watching that next.

ggtimmo 09-15-2012 10:15 PM

Great list of films ThirstyFly.
Last year I only did about 22. Work interfeared much more than I would have liked it to. Guess I kind of need a job though.....

Its gonna be interesting to see what everyone will be watching!

ThirstyFly 09-16-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke Nukem (Post 3599490)
Wow, good on you, ThirstyFly. Never did the full 31 days before. Never felt compelled to. I know that one normally can't watch horror movies every day like that. Sometimes, you spoil yourself with too much horror, and need to focus your attention on anything else afterwards.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Towards the end of that last year I was so worn out, not just by spending so much free time with them, just watching so many movies in a row with violent subject matter. I didn't have the extra time to watch anything lighter. And then there were the bad movies... TerrorVision almost did me in. Thankfully Red State and all the others (up to the dull Hausu) were really good so they rejuvenated me.

I think the trick that worked for me was I doubled up a few days towards the start of the month so I could take a few day off here and there to rest without falling behind on my numbers.

I have a lot of questionable (quality-wise) movies to get though this year too (damn you $5 bin at Walmart!) so my final list isn't going to be nearly as good. There's a few I have sitting here waiting right now that I'm really looking forward to though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggtimmo (Post 3599596)
Great list of films ThirstyFly.
Last year I only did about 22. Work interfeared much more than I would have liked it to. Guess I kind of need a job though.....

Its gonna be interesting to see what everyone will be watching!

Thanks. I got really lucky with a few true classics I hadn't seen before like Hellraiser and The Exorcist. And discovered some real gems like Basket Case, which is now one of my favorite movies.

ggtimmo 09-16-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirstyFly (Post 3599675)
Thanks. I got really lucky with a few true classics I hadn't seen before like Hellraiser and The Exorcist. And discovered some real gems like Basket Case, which is now one of my favorite movies.

I haven't seen Basket Case. I'll have to try and check it out, always thought the cover was cool.

Duke Nukem 09-18-2012 03:26 PM

Having read about the hell Boris Karloff went through when having his make-up work put on and taken off in Doug Bradley's book, I felt compelled to re-watch "Frankenstein." All these horror stars went through their own private hells by taking on these make-up heavy roles. And with mature eyes, "Frankenstein" is more rewarding. It is still very much dated, but it there is something special about it. Between it and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," I would favor "Hunchback" slightly more. "Hunchback," while silent, had more of an edge. Universal Studios had a way of keeping their monster movies somewhat safe and almost always provided happy endings. Will definitely re-watch "Bride of Frankenstein," and might re-watch "House of Frankenstein," "The Wolf Man," "Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man" and "House of Dracula."

It isn't October yet, but it doesn't really matter. September is pre-Halloween with movies like "Resident Evil 5" coming out. By stuffing 31 movies in 31 days, you can kill your appetite for horror. With all the movies I have, that's why I spread them out over the remainder of the year.

One new movie I keep forgetting to mention is "Wrong Turn 5," due out in October. Yeah, I know. Not a brilliant or highly original series. But I do think it is a reliable straight-to-video series. All except for Part 3. I can't believe they already made another sequel, but I will give it a chance. Doug Bradley is supposed to be in it.

MisoGenie 09-18-2012 05:42 PM

I'm actually doing something very similar to you, Duke. I don't know how successful I'll be (I've tamed down since my >100 movies in October days), but I plan on watching a good deal of classic Universal Monster pictures. I'll probably start off with The Hunchback and then move up through Dracula, The Wolf Man, and Frankenstein. Psycho is definitely on the list.

A hookah bar a few blocks from my house plays films such as Rocky Horror Picture Show and Fight Club regularly, and they're having a Halloween Countdown, so I'm gonna head up there as much as I can. They're starting off this week with Cabin In The Woods, but I'll be missing that. Not too bummed; I've already seen it anyways.

ggtimmo 09-19-2012 08:21 AM

Its really hard to beat the Univerasal Monster series. Frankenstein and Dracula are probably the most recognized of all the monster films. Lots of people skip films like CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, THE INVISIBLE MAN, and all of their spin offs.
One film I always like to add this time of year is Abbott and Cosello Meet Frankenstein. GREAT film with Bela and Lon in their feature rolls. Glen Strange does a great job as the monster also. Vincent Price makes a nice cameo in the film, you just have to find him..

Duke Nukem 09-19-2012 05:22 PM

Indeed. And the "Invisible Man" series. Those movies are cool, too. I regret skipping out on "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" movies eight years ago when Universal released all those boxsets at the time of "Van*Vomit*Helsing." I got all but that one series.

Have fun with all your selections, Genie and ggtimmo. Nothing like mixing it up with a little old, a little really old, little demented children eating too much corn, a little lesser known and forgotten, and some new.

Dirtyfrog 09-19-2012 05:42 PM

Trick-r-Treat is the best Halloween themed movie :p

Bondgirl 09-19-2012 09:53 PM

Geez 31 days of watching horror movies would be interesting

I have to ask this qestion have you ever had a nightmare during this marathon

I think l would not be able to do this to this exstent l would rather have a mixture of movies

KillerKlown 09-20-2012 08:31 AM

I'll probably end up doing a movie each night for a week before Halloween, finishing up by watching Halloween on the night.

Digifruitella 09-20-2012 02:37 PM

here's my list so far.

1. 9th configuration
2. werewolf vs vampire woman
3. lucio fulci zombi
4. long weekend
5. body snatchers
6. she-beast
7. razorback
8. road games
9. the craft
10. shutter (2008)
11. candyman
12. lord of illusions
13. return of the living dead
14. magic
15. graveyard shift
16. 3 extremes
any recommendations are welcome

Dirtyfrog 09-20-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3601390)
any recommendations are welcome

Lucio Fulci's The Beyond
Night of the Creeps
Trick or Treat (1986)
Prince of Darkness
Phantasm 2
Warlock
The Re-Animator
The Howling 2
American Werewolf in London
Evil Dead Trap

:)

Digifruitella 09-21-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog (Post 3601407)
Lucio Fulci's The Beyond
Night of the Creeps
Prince of Darkness
The Re-Animator
American Werewolf in London

I've seen these

So just to remind, I'm watching a brand new film I've never seen before for 31 days straight.
Thanks for the recs, anyone else?

ggtimmo 09-21-2012 07:51 AM

Here is what I got through last year. A busy end to the month stopped me from getting 31. In 2010 I did acomplish it though.

1. 2011 Zombie Diaries 2
2. 2004 Night Watch
3. 1931 Frankenstein
4. 1935 The Bride of Frankenstein
5. 1960 Brides of Dracula
6. 2010 Stake Land
7. 2002 28 Days Later
8. 1997 Event Horizon
9. 1981 An American Werewolf in London
10. 2010 Let Me In
11. 2006 Automaton Transfusion
12. 2007 Rec
13. 2006 Silent Hill
14. 1992 Candyman
15. 2005 The Exorcism of Emily Rose
16. 2009 Case 39
17. 2008 Bitten
18. 1999 Sleepy Hollow
19. 1995 Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh
20. 1954 Creature from the Black Lagoon
21. 1962 Tales of Terror
22. 1996 Scream
23. 1985 Silver Bullet
24. 1957 The Curse of Frankenstein
25. 2011 Scream 4
26. 1968 Night of the Living Dead
27. Freddy vs Jason

Dirtyfrog 09-21-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3601474)
I've seen these

So just to remind, I'm watching a brand new film I've never seen before for 31 days straight.

oops ... my guess was that everyone has seen Return of the Living Dead hehe

then go for the whole trilogy ... you get to see zombie legs do the moonwalk in part 2 and Melinda Clarke as the sexiest zombie ever in part 3

Ginger Snaps maybe ?

Duke Nukem 09-21-2012 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=Digifruitella;3601390]here's my list so far.

4. long weekend
8. road games

------

I envy you. I've been looking for those movies at horror conventions. I could probably find every movie on my hard-to-find list online, but I just don't care for doing things that way. It makes the next conventions more exciting.

I have two more additions for Halloween. "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" from 1939 and "Beauty and The Beast" from 1946. Both inspired by Doug Bradley's book. God bless him and God bless Barnes & Noble for having these movies. That store is proving to be a wonderful resource. I have all but one movie left and that is "Wrong Turn 5" being released in October.

Might be looking at around 20 movies in October. The 7 "Children of the Corn" movies, 6 or 7 movies from my Video Store down the street, "Wrong Turn 5," some Universal monster movies, some old classics, any movies on my 50-movie boxsets, and a new theatrical movie called "Sinister." I'll report my progress weekly, starting with the week before Halloween.

May end up revisiting the "Saw" series in November. It doesn't have to be viewed in October.

Digifruitella 09-21-2012 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=Duke Nukem;3601712]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3601390)
here's my list so far.

4. long weekend
8. road games

------

I envy you. I've been looking for those movies at horror conventions. I could probably find every movie on my hard-to-find list online, but I just don't care for doing things that way. It makes the next conventions more exciting.

Hehe, PM me I'll hook you up if you care for it.

Dirtyfrog. I haven't seen those fully. I remember a couple years ago I saw part 2 I believe. Ok good deal, I'll check the trilogy then!

Duke Nukem 09-23-2012 07:49 PM

It's funny, you won't believe this. Just last night, I caught the remake of "Long Weekend" On Encore. It's from 2008, stars Jim Caviezel, and also goes under the name "Nature's Grave." It was worth seeing. A review regards it as "overly respectful" to the original, so in a way I may have seen the original. Not really, but have now seen its story presented in some form.

There is a movie I saw two nights on HBO to recommend. "Stag Night" from 2008 starring Kip Pardue and Breckin Meyer. Four guys celebrating one their own's bachelor party get on the NYC subway past midnight. They, along with two women, end up trapped in the old subway system and it is populated by mutant cannibal people. It follows in the footsteps of "The Hills Have Eyes" and toys with idea of people living underground. It is bloody, somewhat suspenseful and perhaps a little scary. It took me by surprise.

ggtimmo 09-23-2012 07:54 PM

Since its Fall now, I figurd I'd start a little early.

1. 1978 HALLOWEEN
2. DOCUMENT OF THE DEAD

Im hoping to Hit 50 films this year!!

ggtimmo 09-23-2012 07:56 PM

http://images.moviepostershop.com/do...1020467986.jpg
Very informative if your a Romero fan.

MisoGenie 09-24-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggtimmo (Post 3600867)
Its really hard to beat the Univerasal Monster series. Frankenstein and Dracula are probably the most recognized of all the monster films. Lots of people skip films like CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, THE INVISIBLE MAN, and all of their spin offs.
One film I always like to add this time of year is Abbott and Cosello Meet Frankenstein. GREAT film with Bela and Lon in their feature rolls. Glen Strange does a great job as the monster also. Vincent Price makes a nice cameo in the film, you just have to find him..

I actually plan on watching them in order, if possible, starting with The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I may not get to all of them, but I don't plan on skipping any of the less popular entries. The Creature From The Black Lagoon is a must watch for me this year! Also, I would love to indulge in some Hitchcock!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke Nukem (Post 3601015)
Indeed. And the "Invisible Man" series. Those movies are cool, too. I regret skipping out on "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" movies eight years ago when Universal released all those boxsets at the time of "Van*Vomit*Helsing." I got all but that one series.

Have fun with all your selections, Genie and ggtimmo. Nothing like mixing it up with a little old, a little really old, little demented children eating too much corn, a little lesser known and forgotten, and some new.

Thank you very much Duke! Same goes to yourself! :)