Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Celeb Talk/Gossip (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Spock comes out of the closet (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143796)

echo_bravo 10-16-2011 11:28 AM

Spock comes out of the closet

Zachary Quinto, inheritor of the iconic Mr. Spock role in JJ Abrams' "Star Trek" reboot and the star of the upcoming film "Margin Call," reveals that he is gay in a new profile in New York Magazine. The star, 34, credits his role in the Broadway play "Angels In America," in which he plays a gay man who leaves his AIDS-afflicted boyfriend, for helping to put him further in touch with the hopes felt and struggles faced by both gay and straight Americans, and discusses his political outlook for the rights movement.

Living in New York during the play's run, Quinto says the experience was both challenging and rewarding, and gave him a fresh perspective on the work that needs to be done in the fight for equality. On one hand, New York State legalized gay marriage; on the other, a gay teen committed suicide earlier this year because of unending bullying.

"As a gay man I look at that and say there’s a hopelessness that surrounds it," he says, "but as a human being I look at it and say ‘Why? Where’s this disparity coming from, and why can’t we as a culture and society dig deeper to examine that?’ We’re terrified of facing ourselves.”

Quinto has long been an advocate for gay rights -- he performed in a 2009 staging of "The Laramie Project: 10 Years Later" and appeared at a banquet for the cause that same weekend, and put out an "It Gets Better" video the next year. That often fed into speculation over his sexuality, as did the fact that he's played a number of gay roles, and is doing so again in his latest television show, "American Horror Story."

In an interview with the New York Times last year, he said he preferred discussion about his advocacy over personal matters.

“The fact that these things are such hot-button issues right now, socially and politically, I would much rather talk about that than talk about who I sleep with,” Quinto said. “I would love to be a voice in this maelstrom of chaos and obsessive celebrity infatuation that says, ‘Let’s talk about something that matters.’”

As Spock, he had a blossoming romance with Zoë Saldana's Uhra; he just appeared this fall as the ex-boyfriend of Anna Faris in "What's Your Number.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1013815.html

DaveyJoeG 10-16-2011 11:32 AM

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find out that an actor is gay.

ilovemovies 10-16-2011 12:02 PM

So is this why when he was on 24, his character, CTU tech guy named Adam, was rumored to be gay? :p

The Gunslinger 10-16-2011 02:54 PM

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute here....

He doesn't like tacos?

john_rambo 10-16-2011 03:10 PM

If there's not a George Takei as old sulu and quinto as new spock love scene in the new one I'm gonna be pissed.

jeo4 10-16-2011 04:25 PM

He owned Spock. He's good in everything he does. That's all.

sarah1980 10-16-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeo4 (Post 3463177)
He owned Spock. He's good in everything he does. That's all.

same here

Smiert Spionam 10-16-2011 07:26 PM

I don't like J J Abrhams alternate Star Trek universe. Sulu is supposed to be the gay one...

:D

But in all seriousness, for some reason, I'm not that surprised. Quinto is a great actor, though. Can't wait to see him in more shit...

jaw2929 10-16-2011 08:33 PM

Anyone genuinely shocked about this?

Who gives a shit, the guy is talented. I don't give a damn what the hell he does in his personal life.

SS-Block 10-16-2011 08:38 PM

I imagine it took a great deal of courage for him to do so with him being in America and all. More courage than Tom, George, and Kevin, anyhow.

oh-dae-su 10-16-2011 09:13 PM

Dear IMDB,

If your front story is about a famous actor coming out as a homosexual, then it's time to find some actual stories.

Scotch 10-16-2011 11:49 PM

I've only really seen Quinto in Star Trek but he seems pretty good. Is Heroes worth watching?

God of War 10-17-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG (Post 3463079)
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find out that an actor is gay.

This...

Plus the fact that why do certain male actors disclose this information only after they have made a name for themselves in movies and shit? It's like...

OMGZ. I AM GAY. LET THE WORLD KNOW. I AM GAY@! DID YOU GET THAT?

Really. Who gives a shit? Really? I don't. It's just to get even more attention as far as I am concerned. I have no problem with gay actors. But what shits me is when they make a big fkn deal about it. I am gay. Tell the world. I AM GAY!

:rolleyes:

fixedMind 10-17-2011 12:22 AM

non-story 101...
Great for him, media/social reaction is getting old.

Scotch 10-17-2011 01:15 AM

Okay it seems like people are trying so hard to make it not an issue. We get it. So is Heroes worth watching?

jaw2929 10-17-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 (Post 3463360)
Okay it seems like people are trying so hard to make it not an issue. We get it. So is Heroes worth watching?

More than worth watching, one of the best/most entertaining shows on TV, and the cock-suckers (No offense Zachary!) at NBC decide to cancel it. What's more, I heard or read that they refuse to green light a possible Heroes movie as well. Fucking pricks.

The Postmaster General 10-17-2011 04:01 AM

Quote:

The first season is solid, but it's is crap by mid-3rd season.

SpikeDurden 10-17-2011 08:29 AM

His words:

when i found out that jamey rodemeyer killed himself - i felt deeply troubled. but when i found out that jamey rodemeyer had made an it gets better video only months before taking his own life - i felt indescribable despair. i also made an it gets better video last year - in the wake of the senseless and tragic gay teen suicides that were sweeping the nation at the time. but in light of jamey's death - it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it - is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality. our society needs to recognize the unstoppable momentum toward unequivocal civil equality for every gay lesbian bisexual and transgendered citizen of this country. gay kids need to stop killing themselves because they are made to feel worthless by cruel and relentless bullying. parents need to teach their children principles of respect and acceptance. we are witnessing an enormous shift of collective consciousness throughout the world. we are at the precipice of great transformation within our culture and government. i believe in the power of intention to change the landscape of our society - and it is my intention to live an authentic life of compassion and integrity and action. jamey rodemeyer's life changed mine. and while his death only makes me wish that i had done this sooner - i am eternally grateful to him for being the catalyst for change within me. now i can only hope to serve as the same catalyst for even one other person in this world. that - i believe - is all that we can ask of ourselves and of each other.

zq.

Personally I'm really proud of him. I often saw him around NYC, particularly in the theatre community, with boyfriends (notably Jonathan Groff, who guest starred on Glee) so it's not as if he was living a lie/closeted lifestyle. He has just now taken this opportunity to be open about his life in the wake of incidents that have happened. Like he said, if he can inspire just one person then it was all worth it. He's a terrific actor and a genuine guy. I look forward to seeing him in Margin Call and whatever else he does in the future, especially Star Trek 2.

gyro_44 10-17-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God of War (Post 3463351)
This...

Plus the fact that why do certain male actors disclose this information only after they have made a name for themselves in movies and shit? It's like...

Really. Who gives a shit? Really? I don't. It's just to get even more attention as far as I am concerned. I have no problem with gay actors. But what shits me is when they make a big fkn deal about it. I am gay. Tell the world. I AM GAY!

So it's the ol' "it's ok to be gay.... just be sure to keep it to yourself!" thing?

With respect, I sure don't think male actors do this just to get "more attention" and make themselves bigger stars. There is still a lot of stigma in Hollywood about this, and I'm sure there are literally hundreds of gay actors out there who will never come out for fear of losing their career. I don't think we should choose to criticize those who decide to come out.

Who cares? Well, you are right, most people shouldn't and won't give a damn... but I can tell you Zachary Quinto cares, and I'm sure this wasn't just some small thing for him that he figured would make him more popular.

Personally, I say good for him.

snoopmish 10-17-2011 10:03 AM

All I can say is duh! It has been pretty obvious for a long time. I knew back during Heroes and so what? I love him to death and think he's all kinds of awesome.

snoopmish 10-17-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Yup! It's worth watching. I have all the seasons on DVD and love to revisit them. Sylar is the shit and the show has some great gore as well. Wish they would allow a movie to wrap up the whole thing though.:mad:

JCPhoenix 10-17-2011 01:08 PM

This came out of the blue but makes a lot of sense in retrospect.

God of War - I do agree that if someone was to hold a press conference mentioning the fact, it would be like making a big deal out of nothing. But in this case at least, it's not like he held out a megaphone and yelled it out to people on a sidewalk.

He was interviewed; and in the process of that interview where he was speaking about gay bullying, he mentioned he was gay, almost as an aside ("As a gay man...") to make a point.

It's the media that takes it out of hand and blows it up into a big reveal. But they do that with every kind of story related to celebrity gossip (i.e. Lohan and Hilton) so I don't see that as a particular singling out either - it's just the way tabloid culture works unfortunately.

In terms of why actors only tell after they've made a name...well, I think gyro summed things up.

Preston_79 10-17-2011 01:40 PM

He should have made this announcement when he wasn't such a commodity. It was like an ace up the sleeve. It's the type of thing you do to get on the cover of a magazine when your career has stalled out. Keep that shit locked up till it has some value.

echo_bravo 10-17-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer (Post 3463362)
More than worth watching, one of the best/most entertaining shows on TV, and the cock-suckers (No offense Zachary!) at NBC decide to cancel it. What's more, I heard or read that they refuse to green light a possible Heroes movie as well. Fucking pricks.

Haha

Flickman 10-17-2011 03:30 PM

In other non shocking news, Jim Pearson from Big Bang Theory isnt really heterosexual

Scotch 10-17-2011 04:22 PM

Thanks, sounds like it's worth checking out.

Frank the Tank 10-17-2011 04:34 PM

I thought this meant that Leonard Nimoy was gay. He's the only Spock that mattered.

ScaryFreak1827 10-17-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 (Post 3463348)
I've only really seen Quinto in Star Trek but he seems pretty good. Is Heroes worth watching?

Yes! Watch it and ignore the haters :D

Matchbox225 10-17-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank (Post 3463614)
I thought this meant that Leonard Nimoy was gay. He's the only Spock that mattered.

I thought the same thing. This was a giant disappointment.

jolanar 10-17-2011 07:12 PM

Like others can't say I'm too surprised. I'll always love him as Sylar. Speaking of which I need to go rewatch Heroes Season One. Spock was only so so for me.

DaveyJoeG 10-17-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchbox225 (Post 3463650)
I thought the same thing. This was a giant disappointment.

Disappointment? Were you looking forward to dating Leonard Nimoy?

Gilpesh 10-17-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 (Post 3463634)
Yes! Watch it and ignore the haters :D

No. Listen to the haters and stop at the season one finale.

Matchbox225 10-17-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG (Post 3463685)
Disappointment? Were you looking forward to dating Leonard Nimoy?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile...332_3637_n.jpg

DookieMercury 10-18-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 (Post 3463348)

Actually his Syler makes the whole proceeding interesting. He goes from bad to tragic to questioning good back to bad and does so almost without breaking a sweat. I'd say second to Clare and Noah his was the wildcard that gave almost all the characters motivation. It's probably the reason why I was intrigued about him playing Spock after playing Syler.

As for the show itself consensus is that Season1 was great, Season 2 suffered from the writer strike and shortened season, Season 3 was good to a point, Season 4 was the one I'm unfamiliar with as the characters dealt with travelers with powers like them, I lost track after it hit midseason. What's interesting about the series was also its incorporation into other media, I think there's a graphic novel for each season giving further story and background on the main and side characters plus theres also little movies here and there doing the same task. All and all the series was fun and had great potential that never it could never fully live up to, a fault of its limited scope and the fact that it second season left a bunch of plot holes never fulfilled, not even in the books. I recommend the entire series for doing if anything getting me back to watch network tv.

Stratburst 10-18-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God of War (Post 3463351)
This...

Mainly because, for the longest time, coming out of the closet was considered career death for any actor. Why do you think John Travolta still has his beard marriage with Kelly Preston?

For Neil Patrick Harris and Zachary Quinto, coming out at this point is a gutsy move: sure, they're on top but saying they're gay could slam doors overnight. Luckily, NPH has proved that it's not necessarily the case anymore.

Kudos to Zachary for coming out like that. He's a great actor.

Erroneous 10-21-2011 02:18 PM

Question
Why does it matter? I don't care if someone is gay or not. Do you really care?

Bondgirl 10-21-2011 08:57 PM

Well it doesnt matter if a male or female is gay

I look at waht they can do as a actor

Look at Rock hudson all the women loved him and really didnt care if he was gay or not

Matchbox225 10-21-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondgirl (Post 3465452)
Well it doesnt matter if a male or female is gay

I look at waht they can do as a actor

Look at Rock hudson all the women loved him and really didnt care if he was gay or not

Rock Hudson was gay? :eek:

I just hope I never hear that Montgomery Clift was gay.

edonline 10-22-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchbox225 (Post 3465471)
Rock Hudson was gay? :eek:

I just hope I never hear that Montgomery Clift was gay.

One thing about Monty, he would NEVER been seen wearing Capri pants and carrying a man-bag like his Red River co-star. :D

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...mo9qo1_500.jpg

Gilpesh 10-22-2011 10:22 PM

"John Wayne was a fag."

"The HELL he was."