Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Horror Movie talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Deep Red by Argento - TERRIBLE (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143853)

XCoRyX 10-23-2011 05:11 AM

Deep Red by Argento - TERRIBLE

WOW, is all i can say. i've read and heard nothing but hype and great things about this. if this is his best, then maybe argento isn't that great? perhaps he isn't my cup of tea? possibly, its something too outdated (can't be in my case though as I am a huge fan of old school 70s/80s horror if I can say so myself)...

bottom line though, good LORD this sucked...AWFUL...i can't get over how bad this was and how great praise it gets...literally in shock at how awful it is...

no this isn't a detailed, solid review, just a rant... this has to be one of the biggest letdowns for me in a verrrry long time. and i can draw no other conclusion other then I find Argento to be a huge letdown in himself. I've watched this, Suspiria and Mother of Tears. All have some great imagery and scenery...but none lived even remotely close up to the expectations and hype (okay, mother of tears didn't have much hype, but suspiria and deep red sure did).

Demons 1 & 2 may be his only work I can dig on high level, if any level at all. I repeatedly kept asking myself 'this is deep red?' non-stop.

atleast i only paid $4.99 for it used...i was tempted two weeks ago to blind buy it for $14.99, went back to the same store and it was there used second time around for $10 less so I instantly snagged it.

PackBacker 10-23-2011 11:49 AM

Argento seems to me to be much more about style than anything else. With almost any Italian film a lot is lost (or is never there!) with the plot. You lose more in translation and are often left with a goofy little story.

Argento's older work is for me, however, some of the most stylistic horror out there. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed "Deep Red" but did find myself laughing a lot. Suspiria, Tenebre, etc. were very similar. I wonder if this was a situation where you had heard a lot of hype and it was a film that just couldn't live up to expectations.

I find his recent stuff is just horrible. Even the style that made me start following him seems to have dried up.

XCoRyX 10-24-2011 10:11 AM

I can definitely dig his style and visuals. That is about it though. I have no expectations for his upcoming Dracula flick even further due to this viewing of Deep Red.

SS-Block 10-24-2011 10:17 AM

If this is the one i'm thinking of, I liked the puppet scene and that was it.

There was an odd scene with Kill Bill style music being played as they walk along a corridor occassionally looking at each other in a weird way, I couldn't for the life of me work out what that was in aid of.

Evil Ed 10-24-2011 11:00 AM

His films and the 70's giallo's in general are indeed an acquired taste. I love them, and I heartily disagree with you, but understand where you are coming from as a lot of people find them mind numbingly boring. Like I found the Human Centipede 2 to be absolutely the most BORING film I have ever seen.

Duke Nukem 10-24-2011 06:33 PM

I disagree over "Deep Red," but do see where you're coming. Between that, "Suspiria" and "Mother of Tears," yeah. "Suspiria" is stylish, but that is all there is to it. I don't see what the fuss is about. However, there are more fans who will agree regarding the silly content in "Mother of Tears." "Deep Red" was one of my first Argento flicks, and it was a memorable one. His earlier work kicks ass, and so does "Opera" from 1987 and "Trauma" from 1993. I will admit that some of his films, including "Deep Red," don't hold up as well on re-watches (to a degree). One film of his that I didn't enjoy very much the first time, but appreciated later on is "Four Flies on Grey Velvet."

countchocula 10-24-2011 07:24 PM

I've seen an assortment of Argento films (including Deep Red), and I didn't go gaga over any of them. He's definitely an acquired taste. The only pic I halfway enjoyed was Suspiria, but that had more to do with Jessica Harper than Argento's flair as a filmmaker.

Mr. Guiltless 10-24-2011 08:48 PM

I really love Argento. Phenomena is my fave for the visuals and music alone.
Deep Red had some really cool McGuffins interspersed throughout.

The fog on the mirror was an especially nice touch. And how can one not love the car runover and the elevator scene, even for laughs?

The fact that the lead resembled Paul McCartney only added to it.

zombievictim 10-24-2011 10:34 PM

I've never understood the hype around Argento either so I'm right there with you. As for Deep Red, I've seen bits a pieces but not enough to engage me. Suspiria is just not my bag at all so the less said about that, the better.

XCoRyX 10-25-2011 06:09 AM

I guess we can all agree it is acquired taste for sure. Thanks for the responses.

And I agree to SS-Block, the puppet scene is so awesome...I actually rewound it a few times when that happened. And of course the finale death. Like I said, some solid visuals/kills...but...not much else.

Suspiria is the same. If I want a dose of Jessica Harper, I'll flock to Phantom of the Paradise.

MisoGenie 10-26-2011 11:01 AM

I've only seen a few of his works, but Argentio is by far one of the most inspiring directors I have come across in terms of colour and atmosphere. I suppose that I could liken him to an Italian John Carpenter. (*dodges rocks thrown by other Schmoes) He really is an acquired taste, and I think that the tell-all style of American filmmaking of which we are accustomed really contributes to that. I appreciate his style>substance mentality, and I just so happen to love the substance as well. Suspiria is one of my Top Five favourite films, and his other works (directed in his prime) which I have seen are equally impressive.

In short, I love Argentio but can see exactly why some would not be so enthusiastic.

Kevin Lockard 11-07-2011 10:44 PM

I was disappointed by Deep Red as well. It was the first Argento movie that I watched about a year ago and I found it pretty underwhelming, especially considering I had heard a lot about Argento and especially how many of his fans considered Deep Red to be his best film (even above Susperia.) But then I watched a few of his other films (Phenomena, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Susperia, Tenebre, Trauma, etc.) and found that he is actually is a pretty good director. So while he is an acquried taste, I would bother checking out some of his other films.

Dehydrator 11-09-2011 05:25 PM

Argento does giallo / horror much in the way Sergio Leone does westerns (Argento co-scripted "Once upon a Time in the West). They´re kinda similar in being aquired tastes. I completely understand anyone who doesn´t like him, although he´s my personal favorite director and his movies are what I watch most (along with Bava and some Fulci). Deep Red is among his best work. There´s a lot more subtext in his films than people give him credit for. But as everybody said, aquired taste.

DeaditeDerik 12-06-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCoRyX (Post 3465924)
Demons 1 & 2 may be his only work I can dig on high level, if any level at all. I repeatedly kept asking myself 'this is deep red?' non-stop.

It seems as though this discussion is very much "the director makes the movie" point of view, in which case I feel you are unjust by comparing Deep Red and other movies directed by Dario Argento to the works of Demons. Demons 1 and 2 were directed by Lamberto Bava. If you want to check out some more of his work I'd recommend Blastfighter, and Shark, but neither are as good as the Demons movies. The rest of his work isn't worth a mention.

Intellectual Hunter 12-13-2011 11:49 PM

My thoughts on Deep Red (1975) can be found here:

http://madman731.blogspot.com/2011/0...-of-blood.html

dellamorte dellamore 01-01-2012 02:08 AM

For anyone who thinks Suspiria is all style and no substance, this man would beg to differ, he deconstructs the film in ways i could never have imagined and i have a new found respect for this classic as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b69a3pnrPY0

1000 04-21-2012 11:06 PM

I love Argento, but it's very difficult to fault anyone, even horror fans that don't. Heck, even Argento fans themselves are divided by his films. Personally I thought that TRAUMA was his finest work since Bird With the Crystal Plumage but most Argento fans think that Trauma stinks to high heaven.

That said, I have all but given up completely on him. He hasn't made a good film in a long, long time. Sleepless was a mild step in the right direction and Card Player was just partially interesting but for the most part, his few stuff sucks. So much so that I didn't even bother seeing Mother of Tears and unless the world "GIALLO" is stamped on any of his future films I will likely not bother at all.

Same with Romero, Carpenter and so on... seems that as horror directors get older they loose their way. Sad but true.

dellamorte dellamore 04-23-2012 03:02 AM

I'm not sure it's a case of these iconic directors declining on a skill, talent, or creative level, i think it's more them reaching a plateau and never proceeding any further.

3 Mothers was not evidence of Argento losing his touch in any way, it was him still stuck in the 80s, if i didn't know any better i would have thought it was made in the 80s, from the lighting, to the acting, to the cinematography, to the gore effects, it was a pure 80s film.

That's the problem for some, they can't accept the fact that Argento is not going to fall in line with modern day cinema, he's still inspired by the past and he has no compulsion or desire to modernize.

Now if you loved his 70s/80s output like i do you won't have a problem with his output from 2000 on because it's a flashback of sorts, to me that's a great thing, a legend working in his own creative vacuum of sorts.

It's expectations, i don't expect him to emulate anything conventional or to try to outhip the crop of new hotshot horror directors on the scene, he never did that before and he's not going to be starting now. Personally that's where i think Carpenter went wrong, he tried to be something he wasn't

Argento is still one of the best horror directors working today, even if his output post Opera has never reached the lofty heights he once touched effortlessly almost everytime.

We changed, the world changed, what we expect from horror has changed ( for some ), we expected him to change also, but he never did and i'm grateful for that. I appreciate the continuity of his creative impulses

Can't wait for Dracula 3D, should be an 80s cheesefest of the highest order.

Watching any new Argento film now is akin to taking a stroll down golden age of horror lane without the winking at the camera conceits because he's not trying to recreate that period he's still living in it mentally and as one of it's major contributors he has an intimate knowledge of it unlike some knowing reference geek who may not have even been born when Suspiria came out.

If you skew towards modern horror then don't bother trying to get Argento, you'll get frustrated but if you have some patience and are a bit adventurous i recommend any one of his films, even his slight misfire that was his wild take on Phantom of the Opera, what a surreal mess that was

Only one that disappointed me was Cat O 9 Tales, way too many silly visual effects and not enough compelling atmosphere

Mr. Guiltless 04-23-2012 09:33 PM

^Agreed with the above(although Cat O'Nine Tails is still maybe the only old Argento I haven't seen).

Oh, and I would say his output post "The Black Cat"(Two Evil Eyes) is where the great man slipped.

Dirtyfrog 04-29-2012 09:07 PM

The problem with any Argento's movie is that they aged very poorly.

Lost in Space 05-01-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog (Post 3547528)
The problem with any Argento's movie is that they aged very poorly.

I don't really think that's correct. I think that he is pretty divisive in his style and you either love it or hate it. It's not that the films aged poorly, it's more that the horror genre has progressed poorly and audiences expect a very different thing now. Argento's films are still as good, or bad as you thought they were in 1977.

benthere_dunnit 07-31-2012 04:46 PM

YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY ON drugs SIR!!! you don't have a freaking clue to what a great horror movie is!!!

this is a classic NOW STFU!!! LOL J/K for the sensitive types

weezercoke 08-01-2012 12:23 PM

you might like Phenomena and Trauma they move a little faster.

XCoRyX 08-02-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weezercoke (Post 3582585)
you might like Phenomena and Trauma they move a little faster.

funny you mention Phenomena, that is the one I still have an urge to check out. Definitely need to eventually!

weezercoke 08-02-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCoRyX (Post 3583264)
funny you mention Phenomena, that is the one I still have an urge to check out. Definitely need to eventually!

Phenomena is my favorite argento movie along with Bird. Suspira i think is the best made. The movie Amer which is a tribute of sorts to Argento is way more watchable than suspira.

Mr. Guiltless 10-18-2012 07:38 PM

Phenomena I believe is Argento's best work and coincidentally, so does he.

1000 10-22-2012 04:26 PM

Good to see TRAUMA getting a little more love than usual, I'm used to getting flamed when I say it's Argento's finest !! I thought it was a masterpiece, great story, good twist, honest characters.

The only issue with the film is Asia Argento, her acting in the film is a bit off in parts... not terrible, but she is a bit artificial in some parts of the film, especially the middle act.

DickJones 10-25-2012 02:16 PM

I've seen a few Argento films (Deep Red, Suspiria, Stendahl Syndrome, Phenomena). Giallo is an acquired taste to put it lightly, and to be honest I'm in the middle (neither hate or love) on the subgenre.

Giallo is definitely more about visuals than coherent storytelling for the most part. I can appreciate a film like Suspiria's impressive visuals, even consider it a piece of art, but the narrative usually goes by the wayside.

I've seen some Fulci (House by the Cemetery, Zombie) and he's definitely more my cup of tea. As for Argento, Deep Red was actually one of his more enjoyable films IMO. Suspiria definitely took some time to grow on me. Phenomena was absolute shit and I'll put on Stendahl Syndrome if I'm having trouble sleeping.

Mr. Guiltless 10-27-2012 07:47 PM

What Have You Done To Salange is a fine giallo flick, for those who dislike Argento(which I simply cannot fathom); and is on youtube as I write this.

LoPanFan 10-28-2012 07:15 PM

What do you think of French horror?

Mr. Guiltless 10-29-2012 02:22 PM

Well I love it; and at present they are kicking the EYE-talians ass. Martyrs is the best horror film of the last decade or so.

Les Yeux Sans Visage is also an all time favorite.