Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Decisions, decisions....HDTV help! (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144413)

Huttjos 12-17-2011 11:04 PM

Decisions, decisions....HDTV help!

What's up my fellows Schmoes, it's been too long.

I need your advice/knowledge on helping narrow down my selection for a new kickass HDTV. Now, I understand this topic is highly based on opinion, but I would still like your input.

First things first. I currently am working off a 32" LCD Vizio, about 3-4 years old. I really do love this tv (for its size). I personally think the picture is perfect; black and whites are great,so getting another Vizio would be in the cards.

As far as screen type, I am heavily leaning toward LED-LCD over Plasma. CCFL-LCD is not in the cards. From what I've read, LED is the way to go, especially when it comes to power consumption. However, my Dad has had a 55" Panasonic Plasma for almost 6 years, and the picture is astounding.

I would also like it to be wi-fi ready, have Netflix, and apps. Truly I could care less about apps on my tv, but I do think it would be cool to FB what movie I'm watching right in my tv.

A few questions that I am having trouble getting answered online:

• 55" inch seems to be the 'standard' largest size, however 65" do exist. Does the TRUE HD picture start to get lost once you go larger than 55"? A friend told me this once.

•does the power consumption for LED over Plasma really matter? Does plasma HDTVs really draw that much juice?

•for people that have it, what's the deal with local dimming?

Any help or other info I might not be aware would be great, guys. Thanks for all your help! Go Schmoes!

jaw2929 12-18-2011 12:19 AM

Without answering specific questions boss, I think most people are going to suggest an LED over a Plasma - At least I'm pretty sure they will. I've also heard LED's > Plasma's as well - Specifically, because I think the picture lasts longer and it's just that much sharper. But I could be totally wrong on all of that. :p

Oh and I didn't even KNOW you could have apps/Netflix on your actual TV. I thought all those things (wi-fi/apps/Netflix, etc.) are found on Blu-Ray players or PS3's/X-Boxes/Wii's, etc. and not on the TV itself. Though I may be wrong on that too.

I'll leave it up to the more knowledgeable Schmoe's to go over the specifics for ya. ;)

Huttjos 12-18-2011 10:01 AM

Trail_Blazer, thatnks anyway man. But yeah newer tvs come with apps, I know the new vizios do, check em' out.

The real question is do I start to lose HD after 55"? If I do, then my selection just became easier.

KcMsterpce 12-19-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huttjos (Post 3491243)

A few questions that I am having trouble getting answered online:

• 55" inch seems to be the 'standard' largest size, however 65" do exist. Does the TRUE HD picture start to get lost once you go larger than 55"? A friend told me this once.

No. If anything, the larger the screen the more you're going to drastically notice the difference from DVD to blu ray. After 50"-55", you will start to notice a big difference and it only gets better from there.

Quote:

•does the power consumption for LED over Plasma really matter? Does plasma HDTVs really draw that much juice?
I would wager the difference in your electric bill - if you keep the TV on every single day - would be a few cents per day.

Quote:

•for people that have it, what's the deal with local dimming?
Ah well, in certain circumstances you might see an improvement in the way darkly lit areas are displayed when another section of the TV is much brighter, but in most cases I doubt many will notice or mind.

Check out this link if you want a little more info about it. Many people might not even notice a difference.
This is also an even better explanation:
Quote:

For home theater enthusiasts, LEDs only matter for one reason: image quality. Because fluorescent tubes must light the entire screen evenly, designers have no way to vary the backlighting intensity in different parts of the screen. Even if you want to show a single white pixel on an all-black screen, the light needs to be blazing away in back. But with some LED setups, lighting different parts of the screen separately becomes possible, allowing the lighting to actually improve the image.
It’s made possible by a technique called local dimming, which can only occur on TVs that offer “full-array backlighting.” These TVs arrange the individual LEDs – up to 1,500 of them – in a grid behind the LCD, rather than clustering them around the edges as you’ll find on “edge-lit” screens. Because each LED lights a specific part of the screen, they can intelligently brighten or darken different zones of the screen to match the content being displayed on the LCD panel.

For instance, in a scene showing the Earth as viewed from space, the lights around the planet could be turned to maximum brightness, while those in the blackness of space could be dimmed or turned off entirely to help darken the screen. Not only does this improve efficiency, since not all the lights are running all the time, it improves contrast, producing blacker blacks and whiter whites on the same screen.

Keep in mind that not all LED TVs can achieve this effect. Many of the super-thin LED televisions you’ll find use edge lighting to reduce their side profiles, making them slimmer and more efficient, but unable to “turn off” different parts of the screen intelligently the same way a full-array set can. Always make a point of discerning between edge-lit and full-array backlighting, and go with full-array, unless a thin profile is your number one priority.
Hope that helps.

EDIT: I'm partial to plasma. I plan on upgrading next year, and I'm STILL looking at plasmas. I have one now, and love it.

Huttjos 12-30-2011 09:52 AM

Kcmsterpce,

Thanks for your help! That's interesting about the 55" and up as far as image quality goes. I had narrowed down my choice to the Vizio 55" XVT3D554SV. It has pretty much everything I'm looking for and some. Depending on what the picture looks like when I go to get it today, (if they have it) I might just have to upgrade to their 65". Oh boy.

MovieMaster 12-30-2011 01:02 PM

That is a very nice TV, the built in wireless will come in handy for sure.

Bourne101 12-30-2011 10:23 PM

Plasma is the way to go.

0:38-0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29k9Qw4XrWk
:D

I honestly don't know anything about TVs, but there's this store where I buy my TVs where the head salesperson has been working for decades. He's not on commission and said that everyone that works in the store owns a plasma. If you go to Futureshop or some place like that those guys are all on commission and are just trying to sell you the most expensive thing. He said if you're a video game junkie then LCD or LED would be the way to go because of potential burn-in (which he says is overblown anyway), but if you're mostly going to use it for shows and Blu-ray then plasma is hands down the way to go.

I currently have a 55" plasma and love it to death. Blu-rays look astounding on it.

But again, I know nothing about TVs. Take my word and that story with a grain of salt.

poopontheshoes7 12-31-2011 09:50 PM

I have a 42" Plasma Panasonic Viera. It's an incredible TV. Blu looks simply mind-blowing. I have a few friends who have LED/LCD and frankly the picture just doesn't pop like it does on my Plasma.