Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need your help: Warner Bros wants to delay new dvd releases for 56 days (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144600)

Country1969 01-07-2012 12:33 PM

Need your help: Warner Bros wants to delay new dvd releases for 56 days

I don't know if I can post this or not.

Warner Bros. just announced they want to delay new dvd releases for 56 days. I started a petition to stop this.

http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...on-dvd-rentals

Please sign...

DaveyJoeG 01-07-2012 01:09 PM

That petition showcases some very poor grammar. I don't think anybody will take it seriously.

Country1969 01-07-2012 01:24 PM

Just updated it.

A.J. Hakari 01-09-2012 01:57 AM

Warner has been dicking my store around about this in the past month or so. For some reason, the people we buy our Warner stuff from is different from our regular supplier, so the Warner stuff is arriving separately -- and often days after street date. On top of that, we're only getting very limited copies of each title, which are actually pretty popular, so not only did we not get The Hangover Part II until a day or two after it was supposed to come out, we only carry about 18 or so copies between Blu Ray and DVD.

This friction is pissing my store off, and it's pissing our customers off. Warner, I love you, but please stop trying to screw your customers with this petty bullshit.

MisoGenie 01-09-2012 11:21 AM

I signed this petition. It's pretty crappy how Warner Brother has been jerking you guys around, AJ. With a film like The Hangover II one would think that they would be eager to supply as many copies as you could stock. I s'pose that they want people to go out and buy the DVDs.

Erroneous 01-09-2012 01:45 PM

It is a brilliant move. NOT!

The only reason why it is not a good idea would be because of illegal downloading and the end result will be less rental sales and revenue down. It will not lead to higher box office or dvd sales. So rest assured once they see revenues decline, they will reverse their actions.

If they want to increase revenue, they should not come out with anything for a longer period of time. I know myself that I do not see some movies knowing it will be on dvd in six months or less and then will be on cable in a year. Keep the usual process for blockbusters. Everything else should be planned out longer.

Scorpio77 01-23-2012 04:28 AM

Anyone remember back in the day before DVD & Blu-Rays took over you had to wait 6 months before you could rent a movie & a full year to even buy them. My how times have changed but makes sense because of supply & demand. Seems like WB just wants to go back to the old days. It did actually take Hangover Part II almost 7 months to be released on DVD/Blu-ray.

SkyNet 01-25-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philalva77 (Post 3506912)
Anyone remember back in the day before DVD & Blu-Rays took over you had to wait 6 months before you could rent a movie & a full year to even buy them. My how times have changed but makes sense because of supply & demand. Seems like WB just wants to go back to the old days. It did actually take Hangover Part II almost 7 months to be released on DVD/Blu-ray.

Ya... but when DVD first came out, the main reason I jumped on board and got my first DVD player (before most people had DVD players... back in like '97) was because DVD had no wait time for when I could rent our buy new releases. That was the selling point for me... not having to wait 6-9 months to see a new release. And now Warner Brothers is reverting back to a VHS mentality.

And to me, it makes no sense, they do this to bump up sales, this way if you want to see the movie, you will HAVE to buy the movie. BUT that is a terrible practice, and another case of Executives being fucking imbeciles, because if a new release comes out, I will rent it, and if I like it, I will go out later that week and purchase the Blu Ray that will still be on it's first week sale.

I know it's not a Warner title, but something like Tower Heist, if I had to wait 2 months to see it, that isn't going to make me run out and buy it just so I can see it. Either I will find it online somewhere for free, or wait the 2 months. but if they released it day and date on netflix, I may really enjoy the movie and run out that week to make the purchase.

Bondgirl 01-26-2012 09:48 PM

Well if you come from Australia and you want a DVD from America it takes around 4 weeks to arrive