Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Celeb Talk/Gossip (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Pedophile enabler Paterno dead (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144756)

MovieMaster 01-22-2012 05:56 PM

Pedophile enabler Paterno dead
 
Well can not say I feel an ounce of pity for this guy. I had nothing against him as far as his coaching goes, he was a great coach, but a pathetic excuse for a human. No RIP for this scumbag from me. I am sure there are some sympathizers who still like the guy but I do not understand how. I could not imagine having such an awesome legacy come crashing down the way his did and deservedly so.

outsyder 01-22-2012 06:07 PM

At least he died in shame.

MikeMovie 01-22-2012 10:42 PM

The title of this thread sure isn't subtle.

jaw2929 01-22-2012 11:09 PM

Good riddance to that fucking cunt.

The_Soloist 01-22-2012 11:26 PM

The world is a BETTER place without him.

Badbird 01-22-2012 11:30 PM

Come on, guys. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

QUENTIN 01-22-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outsyder (Post 3506733)
At least he died in shame.

.

AceD 01-23-2012 12:06 AM

I'm just glad we've never had anyone around here who would defend the non-pedophilic accomplishments of a pedophile.

Shinigami 01-23-2012 01:03 AM

I thought an assistant reported seeing Sandusky and a boy in the shower years after Sandusky was coordinating with Paterno, meaning the two were not coworkers at the time, so shady codes about looking the other way aren't automatic, and then Paterno reported the matter to university officials. There are theories about Paterno covering up the behavior, but aren't they just theories? Apparently Paterno covered up... Not only alleged 'inappropriate behavior' from Sandusky, but point blank broad-side-of-the-barn pedophilia? I'm out of the loop. I thought the worst charge against this guy was irresponsibility. Even families of the victims' made relatively mild accusations. Angry, hurt, and confused, they 'just' accused Paterno of failing to report the incident directly to police himself. It seems like the guy is getting shit on because he's a beloved figurehead, and there's a lot of unwarranted sensationalism about his tragic fall from grace for not being all-knowing and all-seeing. It's hard to sort through.

JoeChar4321 01-23-2012 01:11 AM

If ignorance is bliss then there must be very many content people around here. Such misplaced hatred for a great man that admittedly made a huge mistake makes me sad. If any haters cared enough to pay attention to what his former players and colleagues had to say today then they would get a more complete picture of the icon. Joe Pa died loved and admired and certainly not in shame.

Until (if ever) something else comes out then basically saying "I don't know what happened and I don't want to know... you handle it" will NOT taint his legend. Sure it was the absolute wrong thing to do but it doesn't override all the good he did or all of his accomplishments. Save the hatred for Sandusky himself or the PSU hierarchy. Until I see more, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt like any intelligent person should.

Shinigami 01-23-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Such misplaced hatred for a great man that admittedly made a huge mistake makes me sad. If any haters cared enough to pay attention to what his former players and colleagues had to say today then they would get a more complete picture of the icon. Joe Pa died loved and admired and certainly not in shame. Until (if ever) something else comes out then basically saying "I don't know what happened and I don't want to know... you handle it" will NOT taint his legend. Sure it was the absolute wrong thing to do but it doesn't override all the good he did or all of his accomplishments.
Accomplishments in entertainment are nothing against enabling a pedophile to victimize however many kids Sandusky did, but it sounds like you're only suggesting his legacy can trump timider accusations of 'not doing enough'. And until I know more about the case I'm inclined to agree. It sounds like the worst thing Paterno did was report the two allegations to school officials, and not going to police himself. Articles accusing Paterno of covering up Sandusky mention janitors who saw inappropriate behavior from Sandusky but never mentioned it for fear of their jobs, which suggests that we blame Paterno for not acting on unspoken allegations, which falls into the media fetish of idol burning. I'm actually inherently suspicious of any organization rife with hero worship, since idolizing people tends to lead to all sorts of messy shit, and it's not normal for me to give a guy like this the benefit of the doubt- I just don't see any evidence. I don't know enough about the case.

Scorpio77 01-23-2012 02:03 AM

The media is so quick to scrutinize famous people when it's a major issue like this, the only thing he did wrong was not knowing what was going on with his coaches, so he should not be at fault at all about the sex offenses. Shame he had to go out like this & to cancer none the less. I noticed there was not many articles on his death either which is sad. I am not defending nor claiming i was ever a fan. Surprised the moderators here would even allow this as a topic, its slander.

SkyNet 01-23-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 (Post 3506883)
If ignorance is bliss then there must be very many content people around here. Such misplaced hatred for a great man that admittedly made a huge mistake makes me sad. If any haters cared enough to pay attention to what his former players and colleagues had to say today then they would get a more complete picture of the icon. Joe Pa died loved and admired and certainly not in shame.

Until (if ever) something else comes out then basically saying "I don't know what happened and I don't want to know... you handle it" will NOT taint his legend. Sure it was the absolute wrong thing to do but it doesn't override all the good he did or all of his accomplishments. Save the hatred for Sandusky himself or the PSU hierarchy. Until I see more, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt like any intelligent person should.


THIS! Fuckin A THIS!!!

I am very annoyed at the way Paterno went down. When he was told about the deeds that were going on, he did what ALL of us would have done, alerted his superiors. Should you call the cops? Probably, but as is the case, as is what most people would do, you tell your superior and have them start up an investigation. 1 unsubstantiated report when dealing with a person you have known for ages, it is hard to just up and call the cops. Should Paterno have been involved in finding out the truth, fuck yes, he should have... but i am sick and fucking tired of people equating him with a pedophile... he wasn't and should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Sandusky.

Paterno should have done more, but im sure it wasn't easy.. it is easy as fuck to say "You call the cops, you call the cops right away"... but it was not Paterno who said "look, sandusky is doing this and we are just going to look the other way"... he found out about it, unsubstantiated, as it may have been at the time, and he reported it to his superiors... he did what he had to do... and now in his death, people label him in the same breath as a man like Sandusky... that my friends truly sickens me.

Tweek 01-23-2012 04:11 AM

Paterno's career is respectable, yes. But I don't find his actions or lack of them in the Sandusky thing excusable/justifiable.

He didn't piss me off nearly as much as McQueary, though.

MovieMaster 01-23-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNet (Post 3506907)
Paterno should have done more, but im sure it wasn't easy.. it is easy as fuck to say "You call the cops, you call the cops right away"... but it was not Paterno who said "look, sandusky is doing this and we are just going to look the other way"... he found out about it, unsubstantiated, as it may have been at the time, and he reported it to his superiors... he did what he had to do... and now in his death, people label him in the same breath as a man like Sandusky... that my friends truly sickens me.


Ummm yea he reported it but the when the guy keeps showing up, still allowed to work with kids, I would have been intelligent enough to call the fucking police. Hell that would have been my first call, superiors second. You don't chance that kind of shit.

Another poster mentioned ignorance is bliss, well it sure wasn't bliss for those kids getting raped while Paterno sat around with an idea this was happening. This fucker is rotting in hell for what he ignored.

MovieMaster 01-23-2012 06:08 AM

Shit, it even pissed off satan.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/239641/sat...date-the-devil

anakinsrise 01-23-2012 08:07 AM

Getting fired from a job he loved,the guilt and pressure he was feeling just added to what was ailing him

Shinigami 01-23-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Ummm yea he reported it but the when the guy keeps showing up, still allowed to work with kids, I would have been intelligent enough to call the fucking police. Hell that would have been my first call, superiors second. You don't chance that kind of shit.

Accusations of misconduct don't seem unusual for coaches who deal with young players, and there were- as far as I know- only two actual reports over a period of four years, to varying accusations (the most recent report in question happened three years after Sandusky left the university, and McQueary said Sandusky was apparently 'assaulting' a boy in the shower). Has anyone here worked with similar situations in similarly prudent environments? When someone says they would rashly involve the police, I wonder what situation they're imagining where that degree of response always qualifies. I grew up around therapists, so there's delicacy there, and just because a coworker or a patient makes an accusation or threat doesn't mean that accusation should be brought to the police immediately. Even in situations where there is no professional standard of privacy, being prudent is par, and not necessarily irresponsible. In some ways it would have been equally irresponsible for Paterno to take the case to police officers since accusations should be treated as accusations only, even when dealing with crimes of this magnitude.

It's a delicate situation for authority figures who work with young people. In that situation, rashly reporting any accusation of misconduct to police is irresponsible to the future career of the authority figure as well as the future relationship that figure has with the young people. It's easy to say otherwise when you know after the fact that the accusations are, well, fact, but what of the false accusations made against authority figures- coaches, teachers, boy scouts, youth group organizers, etc. I hate getting anecdotal; this just seems like common sense. When I was in middle school I remember two teachers I had who were let go from the school, and there was talk suggesting each teacher touched a student and was fired for that. And that was off the top of my head. These accusations don't seem to be unusual 'to the degree' that any accusing is cause for immediate police action.

MisoGenie 01-23-2012 11:00 AM

Can't say I'm a fan, but it's (dang near) always sad for the family/friends when a human being dies, so that basic sympathy is there for a living creature. All the people on Facebook pretending that the world is crippled at the loss of a football coach astound me.

SkyNet 01-23-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovieMaster (Post 3506915)
Ummm yea he reported it but the when the guy keeps showing up, still allowed to work with kids, I would have been intelligent enough to call the fucking police. Hell that would have been my first call, superiors second. You don't chance that kind of shit.

Another poster mentioned ignorance is bliss, well it sure wasn't bliss for those kids getting raped while Paterno sat around with an idea this was happening. This fucker is rotting in hell for what he ignored.

Ya, I don't disagree with you here at all. The correct coarse of action would have been to do what he did, in terms of alerting his own superiors, and with those allegations in the air, separate Sandusky from the children until there was an investigation. Fully agree. And in that, Paterno failed horribly... my problem is when people equate the actions of Paterno to the actions of Sandusky... when they are night and day. Paterno never molested children, and does not deserve to be in that same breath as Sandusky. After he was fired, Paterno expressed extreme remorse for his lack of action, but also, how would you react? You can't answer that, cuz a colleague of yours has never been accused of such a horrible crime. It is one thing to see such an act while it is happening and to simply turn away, that to me is far worse, than it is to simply hear second or third hand and try and decide where to go from there. Paterno got put into a situation I guarantee he never ever in a million years expected he would be involved in, and he didn't know what to do, and in his head, he did the right thing by going up the ladder to his superiors. His superiors lack of execution has painted Paterno as an enabler and that could not be further from the truth. He could have and should have done more, 100% agree, but the dude is not some sycophant who stood in the corner jerking off while Sandusky raped young children.

DaveyJoeG 01-23-2012 03:52 PM

If you see a grown man raping a little boy and fail to bring it to the attention of proper authorities for 10 years while enjoying a life of near-worship from college sports fanatics, you're going to get some haters. The guy chose his career over doing the right thing and should be criticized for that decision. However if this took place in the 70s then that's okay, this sort of thing happened all the time back then.

Erroneous 01-23-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNet (Post 3506907)
THIS! Fuckin A THIS!!!

I am very annoyed at the way Paterno went down. When he was told about the deeds that were going on, he did what ALL of us would have done, alerted his superiors. Should you call the cops? Probably, but as is the case, as is what most people would do, you tell your superior and have them start up an investigation. 1 unsubstantiated report when dealing with a person you have known for ages, it is hard to just up and call the cops. Should Paterno have been involved in finding out the truth, fuck yes, he should have... but i am sick and fucking tired of people equating him with a pedophile... he wasn't and should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Sandusky.

Paterno should have done more, but im sure it wasn't easy.. it is easy as fuck to say "You call the cops, you call the cops right away"... but it was not Paterno who said "look, sandusky is doing this and we are just going to look the other way"... he found out about it, unsubstantiated, as it may have been at the time, and he reported it to his superiors... he did what he had to do... and now in his death, people label him in the same breath as a man like Sandusky... that my friends truly sickens me.

You are 100% wrong. Joe Pa did what he did to protect his program and the reputation of his program. Joe did not take enough action to do what was right. He did what was legal, but it was not right. Joe Pa was a great man in every other aspect of his life, but this. Joe did great things over his life. His inactions hurt more kids. He could have stopped it, but he did not. He is guilty. If you don't think he did not know or could not have known everything, you are kidding yourself. Joe was the most powerful man at Penn State and you can say the state. Joe made the choice to protect his program and that is unforgiveable. Legally speaking, Joe is enabler. It is a shame he did not do what was right and bite the bullet when it happened and it would have ended much better.

RIP Joe.

MovieMaster 01-23-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNet (Post 3507072)
You can't answer that, cuz a colleague of yours has never been accused of such a horrible crime.


I have been in this position but with family, not colleagues, which to me would be arguably harder to deal with. A very close family member that I watched grow up and thought nothing but the best of. When he was accused I had a moment of doubt, maybe hesitation but that was just that, a moment. I called the local sheriffs department and they did a very thorough investigation and found evidence to support the claim beyond a reason of doubt and now he is in the Youth Detention Center, waiting for a trial in April on charges of sodomy, molestation, and aggravated molestation.

Without a doubt one of the hardest things we (as a family) have had to go through. I could have contacted his father first (also a friend of mine), talked it over with him, it might have gotten swept under a rug or maybe some therapy involved and the allegations could have been false but other children were involved and you just do not chance it. That fucks up a kid for life, especially if nothing is done. Even a simple investigation would have made a world of difference for these kids who made the allegations but nothing was done and they were victimized and others too because of inaction and they will always be victims because no one cared at the time to save them.

Scorpio77 01-23-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erroneous (Post 3507113)
You are 100% wrong. Joe Pa did what he did to protect his program and the reputation of his program. Joe did not take enough action to do what was right. He did what was legal, but it was not right. Joe Pa was a great man in every other aspect of his life, but this. Joe did great things over his life. His inactions hurt more kids. He could have stopped it, but he did not. He is guilty. If you don't think he did not know or could not have known everything, you are kidding yourself. Joe was the most powerful man at Penn State and you can say the state. Joe made the choice to protect his program and that is unforgiveable. Legally speaking, Joe is enabler. It is a shame he did not do what was right and bite the bullet when it happened and it would have ended much better.

RIP Joe.

He DID NOT do what he did to protect the program because it actually has NOTHING to do with the Penn State program. The issue here is his assistant & friend is being accused of sexually abusing teenage boys. Paterno did not partake in any of the abuse. He even admitted that he simply did not know how to handle the situation because to him they were just allegations. If you wanna go to the police on this type of incident they would have asked if actually had proof or witnessed it. Instead he decided to go to the school authorities.

AspectRatio1986 01-23-2012 05:25 PM

"What else would I do? I don't want to die. Football keeps me alive." -Joe Paterno

All of this definitely ran him straight into his grave...

Shinigami 01-23-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

I have been in this position but with family, not colleagues, which to me would be arguably harder to deal with. A very close family member that I watched grow up and thought nothing but the best of. When he was accused I had a moment of doubt, maybe hesitation but that was just that, a moment. I called the local sheriffs department and they did a very thorough investigation and found evidence to support the claim beyond a reason of doubt and now he is in the Youth Detention Center, waiting for a trial in April on charges of sodomy, molestation, and aggravated molestation.

Reading your post... You have actually been in this position and that's a better authority than my anecdotal thinking.

Sometimes being fair minded is also being condescending to accept behaviors in other people you wouldn't accept in yourself, and I was probably condescending to the situation to think Paterno was that clueless. I know I wouldn't have been. Yes, there are false accusations made against authority figures, but uh they are false accusations against someone who isn't a pedophile and that makes all the difference in the world because there are no signs to give the accusations credence. Sandusky was actually a pedophile; how can you work with a pedophile for so long, in that position, and have no clue? If I wasn't condescending to the situation, and the people involved, you're right. You would know. These things are rarely the blindsided revelations everyone wants to believe them to be. So. I will defer to you.

DaveyJoeG 01-23-2012 06:21 PM

Anybody who knew and didn't step forward should be heavily criticized. All it needed was one person to step up and do the right thing, but that didn't happen. I'd be pretty disappointed in my Grandpa if he was in the same position, although my Grandpa has done shitty things for most of his life so maybe I'm predisposed to judge him.

MovieMaster 01-23-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummy Mummy (Post 3507228)
Paterno DID NOT walk in on Sandusky fucking a young boy, only to shrug his shoulders and sweep it under the rug.


No he was just told about a boy being fucked in the ass, told someone and went to back to work with the guy, also being on the board of the fuckers CHILD charity while knowing it was swept under the rug. So much better. Good call. This guy is a hero for sure and his family should be proud to have that legacy.

In reality though, yea I would have no issue telling his family what I think, or his mindless fans. Anyone calling this guy a hero, or thinking he is some loveable coach should have their head examined.

Also, just so there is no misconception. I know he himself is not a pedo but enabling one is just as bad. Sandusky and Paterno should get an eternity of getting ass fucked by a riding mower for all I care though.

edonline 01-23-2012 07:11 PM

Strange that the topic directly beneath this one, at least for the time, is "Is God Helping Tebow??" Perhaps Satan was helping Penn State. "Look, you can have all the young boys your staff wants and I'll give you as many winning seasons as you want. Deal?"

Brando @$$ Fat 01-23-2012 08:21 PM

Yeah, there's nothing nauseating or sanctimonious about this thread. We're all better people than Joe Paterno. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to resume my violent fantasies of what I'd do to Jerry Sandusky if he were in the same room as me.

Worthystevens 01-23-2012 08:27 PM

ALOT of hate and judgment in this thread from people who don't know exactly what the fuck happened in regards to Joe Paterno's role in this.

So to call him a 'pedophile enabler' when you don't know the extent of his involvement, especially right after his death; it's absolutely ignorant.

MovieMaster 01-23-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worthystevens (Post 3507328)
So to call him a 'pedophile enabler' when you don't know the extent of his involvement, especially right after his death; it's absolutely ignorant.


Denial runs right through Joe into his fans I see.

God of War 01-23-2012 08:35 PM

Nevermind...

Worthystevens 01-23-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovieMaster (Post 3507331)
Denial runs right through Joe into his fans I see.

I'm not a fan of Joe Paterno, but I still respected the guy. However, I have attended Penn State.

You do not know what happened with him. Neither do I. By definition your comments are ignorant. It's a rough patch for those of us who did attend the school.

DaveyJoeG 01-23-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worthystevens (Post 3507407)
It's a rough patch for those of us who did attend the school.

You'll have to excuse MovieMaster, he forgot that the real victims here are the Penn State students.

Worthystevens 01-23-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG (Post 3507418)
You'll have to excuse MovieMaster, he forgot that the real victims here are the Penn State students.

Never said that. Not what I meant at all.

Bondgirl 01-23-2012 09:59 PM

Okay l dont want to get in the middle of all this

But l think that any man who tonchs a child should not be able to teach coach or anything

I mean this guy might have been good at his craft but he did wrong maening mollesting young kids

I feel sorry for his family and how they will greive for his loss but me l am glad there is one less perosn who can harm our children

Bondgirl 01-23-2012 10:59 PM

You dont have to bring jesus into it Mummy Yummy

I am only having my point of veiw on the subject

Shinigami 01-23-2012 11:01 PM

Don't take bond girl seriously mummy. She's a lighthearted troll, but still a troll.

Quote:

You dont have to bring jesus into it Mummy Yummy

I am only having my point of veiw on the subject
Although this actually made me laugh, so whoever you are- well done. All in good fun.

The_Soloist 01-23-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovieMaster (Post 3507243)
No he was just told about a boy being fucked in the ass, told someone and went to back to work with the guy, also being on the board of the fuckers CHILD charity while knowing it was swept under the rug. So much better. Good call. This guy is a hero for sure and his family should be proud to have that legacy.

In reality though, yea I would have no issue telling his family what I think, or his mindless fans. Anyone calling this guy a hero, or thinking he is some loveable coach should have their head examined.

Also, just so there is no misconception. I know he himself is not a pedo but enabling one is just as bad. Sandusky and Paterno should get an eternity of getting ass fucked by a riding mower for all I care though.

This.........times 100.

Anyone who thought Paterno was a good guy is a moron...especially the Penn State students who cry for his loss.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.