Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   The TV Forum (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Killing: Season 2 (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145350)

Bourne101 03-30-2012 08:58 AM

The Killing: Season 2
 
So the second season of The Killing starts up on Sunday. Anyone going to tune in? Obviously there were a ton of flaws with the plot in the first season (and I don't expect that to really change), but the performances and atmosphere were enough to make it a reasonably compelling show. I've heard whispers that the second season starts off surprisingly well, so I think I'll probably tune back in, at least to see what direction the show goes in.

The Gunslinger 03-30-2012 10:48 AM

Yeah I'll be tuning in even though I hated the season finale last year. I've heard we don't find out who killed Rosie until the end of this season?

FailSafe 03-30-2012 04:17 PM

My Sunday nights will be pretty full with Mad Men and Game of Thrones, but if I can find some time during the week I may check out the premiere. I totally agree that the performances (most of them, anyway) and atmosphere are top-notch, but the writing can be pretty horrid at times. Pair that with the utter failure of the season one finale, and it's relegated to the back-burner for the moment. Still, I'm hoping a lot of these issues can be sorted out, and the early word on the premiere is fairly positive so I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

DaMovieMan 03-30-2012 04:24 PM

No.

When the show started, I loved it. The atmosphere, music, performances etc. all great. But from middle to end it started to really bother me until the last episode which I was completely annoyed with.

I don't even care who killed Rosie anymore.

It's all about Mad Men and Game of Thrones. I gotta catch up with Walking Dead too.

And if that wasn't enough, there's so many movies I need to see before I would think about wasting time with this show.

Such a waste of talent.

outsyder 03-30-2012 05:08 PM

I have more respect for myself than to keep watching this.

Dirtyfrog 03-31-2012 02:51 AM

I liked the 1st season but not enough to follow it every week.

I'll wait until season is over and do an all-episode marathon.

But i still say the season 1 was underated .... the biggest problem was the slooooow pacing not the good story.

Digifruitella 03-31-2012 03:03 AM

I actually stopped after the first episode but got back into it after a couple of months and really got into it. I absolutely love the atmosphere of this thing. It reminds me of Se7en with a cross of Insomnia as far as mood goes. Obviously with the subject matter and the format, I don't think there's any other way for them to go about it but use red herrings, which to my understanding was people's issues with it. Slow pacing? Well what do you expect. Unless you want it all told in a 4-part mini series, be ready for it. I had no issues with it.

Dirtyfrog 03-31-2012 03:24 AM

The Killing VS Harper's Island = 1 murder vs 13 murders .... same mystery thing ... it's a WHODUNNIT. But instead of going for shock & gore , The Killing goes for an awesome storyline. And yes the storyline is still sloooooooow. Not slow as "cut the fat and do a 4 parts serie" but it could have easily been compacted in 8-9 parts.

Digifruitella 03-31-2012 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog (Post 3536484)
The Killing VS Harper's Island = 1 murder vs 13 murders .... same mystery thing ... it's a WHODUNNIT. But instead of going for shock & gore , The Killing goes for an awesome storyline. And yes the storyline is still sloooooooow. Not slow as "cut the fat and do a 4 parts serie" but it could have easily been compacted in 8-9 parts.

That's true, a series with such a subject matter can effectively be told in one season, though they do it really well with The Killing that I personally don't have any BIG issues with them doing it over a longer period of time. Besides I think they're going to answer it this season and I feel like it'll morph into a different storyline. Sort of like Lost in a way? Though I wonder for how many more seasons they'll go with that and whether people will really be compelled enough to care where it goes after they answer who killed Rosie.

Digifruitella 03-31-2012 05:15 PM

http://collider.com/billy-campbell-t...erview/156176/

Quote:

Do you see this as one continuous movie, in a sense?

CAMPBELL: It is. This is going to be a show that will be a complete joy to watch on the DVD or Blu-ray, or whatever you happen to watch it on. It’s made that way. It’s like a long movie. It’s really exciting stuff. It’s the stuff that I always dreamed that television could be. I’ve spent most of my career in television and, honestly, a lot of times, it’s not all that satisfying ‘cause it’s so episodic. The network wants you to make a thing that’s just a stand-alone episode, so you never get any character or continuity. This is one of the ways in which television can actually be good, and even better than the movies, because it gives you a chance to tell a long story.

JCPhoenix 03-31-2012 05:47 PM

I loved, loved, LOVED the pilot. But nothing else on this show ever came close in the 8 or 9 episodes I watched before stopping. And it also followed a goddamn stupid formula of giving us some random new clue at the end of each episode. To be honest, I don't really understand the hype over the originality or mood or whatever in the rest of the first season. The pilot was unique and stylishly moody and compares favourably with similar genre exercises (Red Riding trilogy, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Insomnia, etc); everything that followed was decent but pretty standard murder mystery stuff to my eyes and I got sick of it by 2/3s into the season.

If the reviews are incredibly mind-blowing at the end of this season, I'll catch up. Otherwise, I'm done with this show.

bill graham 04-01-2012 01:59 PM

The original danish series this was based on is much better in everyway.

Digifruitella 04-01-2012 09:24 PM

Very solid premiere, especially Richmond's scenes make you feel for the guy. I think we're getting a clearer idea of Stan's past towards that last scene, when we only got a glimpse in the first season.

The Gunslinger 04-02-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3537031)
Very solid premiere, especially Richmond's scenes make you feel for the guy. I think we're getting a clearer idea of Stan's past towards that last scene, when we only got a glimpse in the first season.

I agree but once again, this did not need to be two hours. Too much time was wasted here.

Antonio141 04-02-2012 12:54 PM

UNDERWHELMING!!!

Bourne101 04-02-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger (Post 3537088)
this did not need to be two hours. Too much time was wasted here.

Indeed. The show had some good moments and I like how they actually listened to the fans and ditched the red herring shit in favor of legitimate plot progression (I'm looking forward to seeing the Stan/mob storyline factor in some more), but 2 hours was unnecessary.

Dirtyfrog 04-02-2012 10:39 PM

good no spoilers so far .... i know they will answer WHO KILLED ROSIE in s2

i see some ppl think the 1st episode on S2 was underwhelming but that's the whole point to keep you hooked

I'm out of this thread until my complete s2 marathon is over :p

Digifruitella 04-08-2012 10:49 PM

The plot thickens...

The Gunslinger 04-09-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3539962)
The plot thickens...

Blah.

Kind of lame Holder isn't a bad guy. They made him out to be in the beginning of the first season, then a nice guy and then a bad guy again in the finale. Now, he's a good guy. Seems like the writers have no idea what to do with his character.

Digifruitella 04-10-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger (Post 3540262)
Blah.

Kind of lame Holder isn't a bad guy. They made him out to be in the beginning of the first season, then a nice guy and then a bad guy again in the finale. Now, he's a good guy. Seems like the writers have no idea what to do with his character.

What do you mean by "Blah"? I actually was referring to the last scene. Or you didn't like the episode at all?

I read a theory on IMDb that connects Janek and Stan as actual 'family' and that they could be related. As far as the plot thickening...

Spoiler:
the fact that Janek, and the mob is now involved with the Beau Soleil now makes them bigger suspects, though it's early in the season so could be another red herring, but maybe it'll lead to something deeper. I do feel like Janek is in on it, or perhaps he knew Rosie was part of it and he's trying to wash his hands clean

Antonio141 04-11-2012 03:29 PM

Sunday's episode was much better than the two premiere episodes! I'm loving the whole Russian mob angle & Stan's resurgence as a major player!

Digifruitella 04-15-2012 11:15 PM

So...

Spoiler:
It seems like they're aiming for the killer to be someone involved in Stan's past, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another red-herring, but they are going to reveal who it is this season so chances of it being so, are good. Not a surprising direction, but also not too disappointing

The Gunslinger 04-16-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3542751)
So...

Spoiler:
It seems like they're aiming for the killer to be someone involved in Stan's past, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another red-herring, but they are going to reveal who it is this season so chances of it being so, are good. Not a surprising direction, but also not too disappointing

Spoiler:
Not only that, but I bet the city council who was running against Richmond has something to do with it as well. It all makes sense since Richmond was framed.

Digifruitella 04-16-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger (Post 3542935)
Spoiler:
Not only that, but I bet the city council who was running against Richmond has something to do with it as well. It all makes sense since Richmond was framed.

Spoiler:
With you on that, I wouldn't rule out Adams of being dirty. Him and his bitch servant.

The Gunslinger 04-16-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3543019)
Spoiler:
With you on that, I wouldn't rule out Adams of being dirty. Him and his bitch servant.

I'm calling it! Putting all the cards on the table on who the killer is and why...

Spoiler:
Adams knows Richmond can beat him in the race and gets involved with the mob who have some sort of beef with Stan still. They take this advantage to get back at Stan by killing Rosie (who may or may not have been an online prostitute)... which would work out better because of Richmond's past with them after his wife died.

All of this makes a ton of sense since the first season heavily focused on Richmond's campaign and how Adams was in a desperate need of change to win. Rosie's death is a win for the mob and for Adams, as now Richmond is out of the game.

Digifruitella 04-17-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gunslinger (Post 3543027)
I'm calling it! Putting all the cards on the table on who the killer is and why...

Spoiler:
Adams knows Richmond can beat him in the race and gets involved with the mob who have some sort of beef with Stan still. They take this advantage to get back at Stan by killing Rosie (who may or may not have been an online prostitute)... which would work out better because of Richmond's past with them after his wife died.

All of this makes a ton of sense since the first season heavily focused on Richmond's campaign and how Adams was in a desperate need of change to win. Rosie's death is a win for the mob and for Adams, as now Richmond is out of the game.

This theory makes sense actually...

Spoiler:
I wonder how Terry plays into this, I feel like she's feeling a lot of guilt for something, being all helpful and all. It must have something to do with the Beau Soleil, like she may have some how introduced her into it...and now she's feeling the guilt for what happened since it's all connected

Bourne101 04-22-2012 02:10 PM

"This is supposed to help get him on his feet... metaphorically speaking."

Bahaha.

Bourne101 04-22-2012 11:11 PM

Huh?

Digifruitella 04-23-2012 05:14 PM

Yeah I know... still trying to decide whether that's a good or a bad "huh?"

Digifruitella 04-23-2012 08:10 PM

I've been thinking about it and...

Spoiler:
Jasper and his father play into this more than the writers of the show have let us in on. After the most recent episode's 'twist' - I'm thinking these two are involved. But how exactly, not sure. My guess is that Jasper's dad is the guy Rosie was scared of. And, who knows - maybe he's her father too? But I'm not sold on that just yet...


Why so little discussions? did people stop watching?

The Gunslinger 04-23-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3545722)
I've been thinking about it and...

Spoiler:
Jasper and his father play into this more than the writers of the show have let us in on. After the most recent episode's 'twist' - I'm thinking these two are involved. But how exactly, not sure. My guess is that Jasper's dad is the guy Rosie was scared of. And, who knows - maybe he's her father too? But I'm not sold on that just yet...


Why so little discussions? did people stop watching?

I'm still a little confused by the new twist.

Bourne101 04-29-2012 11:35 PM

Anyone else get massive chills when she saw the picture on the fridge?

Spoiler:
And I knew that girl was gonna steal Mitch's shit.

Digifruitella 04-30-2012 03:16 AM

Spoiler:
Bourne, didn't get chills, cos I forgot who drew it, but with you on that I felt like that girl was just a con

The Gunslinger 04-30-2012 02:08 PM

Probably the best episode since the pilot. Shit is finally moving along.

Bourne101 05-06-2012 11:27 PM

Shit is gettin' weird... and I kinda like it.

Spoiler:
Did anyone else think there was something off with those social services guys? Maybe I'm looking into it too much. If they were legit that was a stupid move on Jack's part.


For the first time in a while, I am completely stoked for the next episode.

echo_bravo 05-07-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3545722)
I've been thinking about it and...

Spoiler:
Jasper and his father play into this more than the writers of the show have let us in on. After the most recent episode's 'twist' - I'm thinking these two are involved. But how exactly, not sure. My guess is that Jasper's dad is the guy Rosie was scared of. And, who knows - maybe he's her father too? But I'm not sold on that just yet...


Why so little discussions? did people stop watching?

I've been watching every week. Just havent had much to add(kind of taking a wait & see approach).

Absolutely loved tonight's episode.
Spoiler:
Holder got fucked up. :eek: I sure hope he makes it out okay cause he's hands down my favorite character. Seems like he'd be a fun guy to smoke crack with.


Looking forward to next weeks episode.

Digifruitella 05-09-2012 10:53 AM

syxxpac and I were talking about who the killer could be and we think that...

Spoiler:
it really could be Richmond. If him or anyone within his campaign (Jaimie for instance) have nothing to do with it, it's just filler. But that isn't the only thing. There's some visual cues as well I think. Richmond and Mitch are both brunette, so is Rosie. The previous episode Mitch was reading the letter she wrote and the initials match with Richmond's... Could be this, or could be way off

syxxpac 05-09-2012 11:17 AM

Not to mention...

Spoiler:
...Campbell still seems to be playing Richmond with some suspicious undertones characteristic of a suspect, rather than a so obviously exonerated person of interest. Right now he isn't any less suspicious than Ames or the Mayor's lackey, as far as I'm concerned.

The Gunslinger 05-09-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3551149)
syxxpac and I were talking about who the killer could be and we think that...

Spoiler:
it really could be Richmond. If him or anyone within his campaign (Jaimie for instance) have nothing to do with it, it's just filler. But that isn't the only thing. There's some visual cues as well I think. Richmond and Mitch are both brunette, so is Rosie. The previous episode Mitch was reading the letter she wrote and the initials match with Richmond's... Could be this, or could be way off

If that was true, this would be worse than the season one finale.

Bourne101 05-29-2012 09:08 AM

Spoiler:
So what's up with Gwen paying the guy to make the YouTube video?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.