Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Celeb Talk/Gossip (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Samuel Jackson: Why I love him. (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145678)

Erroneous 05-04-2012 03:35 PM

Samuel Jackson: Why I love him.

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_...rs-review?lite

If I were you and on twitter I would stick up for Sammy!

Quote:

Samuel Jackson takes on NYT critic over 'Avengers' review

By Natalie Finn and Baker Machado, E! Online
In his attempt to avenge the less-than-rave review the New York Times gave "The Avengers," Samuel L. Jackson may have just made a hero of A.O. Scott.

"#Avengers fans, NY Times critic AO Scott needs a new job! Let's help him find one! One he can ACTUALLY do!" tweeted Jackson in response to Scott's sarcasm-laced review, which included the observation that Jackson's Nick Fury "is more master of ceremonies than mission commander."

But instead of getting fans to pile on Scott, the veteran critic found out who his friends were -- and he exclusively told E! News how "touched" he was by the response

"I don't think Mr. Jackson is actually trying to get me fired," Scott said. "Actors and filmmakers sometimes respond angrily to negative reviews -- I can't say I blame them -- and Twitter is a relatively new and very public forum for that. Rallying 'fans' against skeptical critics is a time-honored tactic, and I don't take it personally."

In response to one Scott defender who reminded Jackson that just because a movie makes money doesn't mean it's any good, the biggest box-office star of all time tweeted, "Actually, sometimes IT DOES!" ( Rotten Tomatoes currently ranks The Avengers' favorability at 92 percent.)

The Film Nest tweeted that they were "disappointed" by Jackson "responding irrationally" to Scott's opinion, to which Jackson retorted, "That is My Opinion! @TheFilmNest &what's irrational about it? They aren't going to fire his jaundiced ass &You &I Know It!" (To which the Film Nest replied, "Ok, that's genius." So, they've made up.)

Scott, who surely has received his share of angry letters across all platforms, continues to turn an analytical eye on what happened.

"If I'm going to dish out criticism, I should be able to take it," he tells E! News. "But I must say that I was touched at how many people on Twitter had my back, and more importantly how many were eager to defend the idea that honest and independent criticism has a place, even when the targets are superhero blockbusters and big movie stars. As usual with Twitter, there was a mixture of silliness and insight that made for a fun afternoon."

The back-and-forth even encouraged Scott to adopt his own super-villain moniker: "Jaundice Maximus."

Besides, is anyone really worried that one review entitled "Superheros, Super Battles, Super Egos" is going to drag down attendance this weekend? More than 1,800 Thursday midnight screenings were sold out.
"Actually, sometimes IT DOES!" is the best quote and so true. I am sure many of you will side with the critic. I say fuck critics.

The review
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/mo...r=2&ref=movies

AO's quote "The best scenes are not the overblown, skull-assaulting action sequences — which add remarkably little that will be fresh or surprising to devotees of the “Transformers” franchise — but the moments in between, when the assembled heroes have the opportunity to brag, banter, flirt and bicker."

Can you just tell the guy is another asshole judging all movies with one standard? I can taste his distain for the subject matter.

The end of his review "In Germany he compels a crowd to kneel before him in mute, terrified awe, and “The Avengers,” which recently opened there to huge box office returns, expects a similarly submissive audience here at home. The price of entertainment is obedience."

Fuck you AO! What a fucking asshole. He should be fired for that line alone. That line shows how he hates movies that are fun and the people who enjoy them. What an arrogant fuck! Good for you Samuel Jackson! Go Pulp Fiction on his ass!

DaveyJoeG 05-04-2012 03:49 PM

I've read three articles on this story and all of them have been garbage. Seeing the Huffington Post quote a tweet gives me a headache.

ilovemovies 05-04-2012 04:00 PM

I love Sam the man Jackson. Still do, but I'm on A.O. Scott's side on this. I mean, I'm sure I'll love the Avengers, but Scott is free to have his own opinion. Not everyone is going to love it and I do think Jackson reacted rather childishly to the negative.

Furthermore, Scott stayed classy with his response. He didn't even call his reaction childish which he could have and he would have been right.

Why the hell would Jackson even care anyway when the movie is getting great reviews? Why would he focus on one review? A.O. Scott is but one man. Is Jackson so insecure that EVERY SINGLE critic must like his movie? Get a fucking grip Sam!

DaveyJoeG 05-04-2012 04:05 PM

I'm also curious as to why Jackson hasn't attacked Armond White for his scathing review. White also brings up Jackson and criticizes his character, so why no tweets on that? Is it because White is considered to be a joke by many?

Squid Vicious 05-04-2012 05:10 PM

Oh no! Somebody didn't like a movie that I liked! That person is obviously HITLER!!!

Buck Turgidson 05-04-2012 05:18 PM

How many ounces in a cup?

rocknblues81 05-04-2012 05:54 PM

Sam was awesome for many years... But for the last decade he has more or less been a hired gun.... Seemingly caring little for the quality of film that he is actually in. I'm not sure he can ride any high horse.

ericdraven 05-04-2012 09:22 PM

He totally misses the fucking point of the movie. It was ONE BIG ACTION SEQUENCE. The talking was used to SET UP the action sequences.

Flickman 05-05-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3549386)
I love Sam the man Jackson. Still do, but I'm on A.O. Scott's side on this. I mean, I'm sure I'll love the Avengers, but Scott is free to have his own opinion. Not everyone is going to love it and I do think Jackson reacted rather childishly to the negative.

Furthermore, Scott stayed classy with his response. He didn't even call his reaction childish which he could have and he would have been right.

Why the hell would Jackson even care anyway when the movie is getting great reviews? Why would he focus on one review? A.O. Scott is but one man. Is Jackson so insecure that EVERY SINGLE critic must like his movie? Get a fucking grip Sam!

I agree. If SJ was gonna comment at all, all he had to say was he didnt think Scott knew how to enjoy this type of movie and point out Scotts personal attacks on those who would like the movie. But hey...its Sam Jackson...hes a cool actor but not the brightest bulb...the dude actually admitted voting for Obama simply cuz the guy was black..

SkyNet 05-06-2012 02:53 AM

I am no fan of critics by any stretch. But A.O is one of the few critics I can tolerate due to his time on At The Movies with Michael Philips.

I have no real side in this.. A.O is a film critic and his job is to write honest reviews based on his perceptions of the movie and Jackson has the right to come back at him the way he did! And my extreme hatred for critics makes me side more with Jackson, simply because Critics are generally snobs who think their tastes are more refined and important than everyone else.

Food critics are the worst of the worst though.. I can not stand Food Critics one bit.

ANYHOO.. Avengers kicked ass!

Shinigami 05-06-2012 11:37 AM

A twitter tiff is pushed into a faux controversy by sheer force of will from the article's author.

Quote:

"#Avengers fans, NY Times critic AO Scott needs a new job! Let's help him find one! One he can ACTUALLY do!.. That is My Opinion! They aren't going to fire (him)
Quote:

Actors and filmmakers sometimes respond angrily to negative reviews -- I can't say I blame them -- and Twitter is a relatively new and very public forum for that. Rallying 'fans' against skeptical critics is a time-honored tactic, and I don't take it personally."
Quote:

If I give criticism, I should be able to take criticism
I haven't seen a smackdown this epic since I heard that one car honk at that other car before they drove off without incident.

DaMovieMan 05-06-2012 12:30 PM

A.O. Scott is the one who came out of this looking better.

jeo4 05-06-2012 03:00 PM

I'd be curious to know what AO Scott thinks of other films in the genre before writing him off. Critics aren't all huffy blowhards with razor tongues and an arsenal of sarcastic barbs bent on tearing everyone down. If they were, film making would be a miserable business to be in.

Then again, I don't understand the harsh treatment comic book films seem to draw from some critics, especially seeing how they aren't really geared for adults nearly as often as they are for people of all ages. And seeing how this film was so satisfying on so many levels, I'm more than happy to support the genre.

MisoGenie 05-06-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMovieMan (Post 3549992)
A.O. Scott is the one who came out of this looking better.

Agreed. I think he should take up that new supervillain monicker; it'd be a great opportunity for a fun alias.

The Postmaster General 05-08-2012 02:25 AM

Ball busting is taken so seriously nowadays. What Jackson said was so gently and flippantly tame, and Scott was torn down so low as to feel "touched" by people who stood up for. That boggles me slightly less than the fact that people actually felt they needed to stand up for him. Imagine the horror that would have ensued had Jackson told him to go get his shine box.

Erroneous 05-08-2012 12:05 PM

AO "fuckhead" "In Germany he compels a crowd to kneel before him in mute, terrified awe, and “The Avengers,” which recently opened there to huge box office returns, expects a similarly submissive audience here at home. The price of entertainment is obedience."

I have not seen it yet, but millions who have in the US are submissive and obedient and it has nothing to do with fun and entertainment at all.

FUCK YOU AO SCOTT! I am putting you on my Shelden Cooper list.