Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Celeb Talk/Gossip (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sean Penn slams "the whole fucking world" for abandoning Haiti (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145786)

echo_bravo 05-18-2012 12:24 PM

Sean Penn slams "the whole fucking world" for abandoning Haiti

Sean Penn isn't a fan of slacktivists.

On Friday in Cannes, the actor-activist slammed the media for abandoning Haiti after the devastating earthquake in January 2010.

"It's not only celebrities who went for a day," Penn told reporters, as excerpted by TheWrap.com. "It's the whole f--king world. It's all of you."

"The reason we have Haiti fatigue is because there was never a commitment in the first place," he added.

Penn also called upon Barack Obama to meet with Haiti's newly elected president Michel Joseph Martelly. "It's time our elegant and formidable president stood side by side [with Martelly]," he said.

The actor was part of a news conference with Petra Nemcova and director Paul Haggis, all of whom work with nonprofit organizations in Haiti. The trio joined forces for a benefit for the country at the Cannes Film Festival.

http://www.eonline.com/news/sean_pen...mdb_topstories

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/...n-penn-fag.jpg

SS-Block 05-18-2012 12:35 PM

What has Sean Penn done for those in tent cities in the U.S? my point being that there are many good causes, and its nigh-on impossible to commit to all of them. If resources are available animal rights charities and rescue shelters are my priority. Having said all that, I do love Sean Penn's passion for causes he believes in. He puts his money where his mouth his, and also invests his time.

Digifruitella 05-18-2012 01:56 PM

penn's awesome. just dont give a fuck. og.

outsyder 05-18-2012 05:36 PM

He should apologize to Wyclef Jean.

jolanar 05-18-2012 09:13 PM

Hey everybody... LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Haiti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

RustyRazor 05-19-2012 08:40 AM

He totally put me in my place.
I know I'm feeling quite shamed.

Yup.

adamjohnson 05-19-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Block (Post 3554508)
What has Sean Penn done for those in tent cities in the U.S? my point being that there are many good causes, and its nigh-on impossible to commit to all of them. If resources are available animal rights charities and rescue shelters are my priority. Having said all that, I do love Sean Penn's passion for causes he believes in. He puts his money where his mouth his, and also invests his time.

There are worse problems oversees. Even the homeless in America aren't having their children kidnapped and turned into murderers.

Hes right, but hes still a douche.

bigred760 05-19-2012 11:28 AM

He has a point, but he's going about it the wrong way. When the Haiti earthquake happened, it was the big story and everybody went down there to cover it. Now that's it been two years or so, the news media has moved on and barely notices it. There are other problems in the world, but that doesn't mean we should ignore one because of it. Sean Penn has stuck by the Haitians since the beginning. His dedication is admirable. His attitude to those who don't cover the story . . . not so much.

adamjohnson 05-19-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred760 (Post 3554825)
He has a point, but he's going about it the wrong way. When the Haiti earthquake happened, it was the big story and everybody went down there to cover it. Now that's it been two years or so, the news media has moved on and barely notices it. There are other problems in the world, but that doesn't mean we should ignore one because of it. Sean Penn has stuck by the Haitians since the beginning. His dedication is admirable. His attitude to those who don't cover the story . . . not so much.

In a perfect world, every nation balances their budget to give a significant monetary amount to disaster-ridden nations. Unfortunately most governmental accountants never learned to balance their checkbook.

bigred760 05-19-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamjohnson (Post 3554827)
In a perfect world, every nation balances their budget to give a significant monetary amount to disaster-ridden nations. Unfortunately most governmental accountants never learned to balance their checkbook.

It seemed like he was blasting the media more than governments. The last time I saw anything about countries donating money to Haiti, the U.S. hadn't given a dime. They had promised several billion, but the money was held up in Congress or something.

SL Dubbs 06-01-2012 03:06 PM

Barack Obama cares about this as much as he does the next journalist due to get their head cut off to meet ridiclious demands in Pakistan. Celebrity's think they have some kind of political pull based on their status. His out cry of stupidity isn't going to change anything.

adamjohnson 06-01-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred760 (Post 3554843)
It seemed like he was blasting the media more than governments. The last time I saw anything about countries donating money to Haiti, the U.S. hadn't given a dime. They had promised several billion, but the money was held up in Congress or something.

Well yeah congress has to buy their new boats. I mean, come on. thats a given.

bigred760 06-02-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamjohnson (Post 3559290)
Well yeah congress has to buy their new boats. I mean, come on. thats a given.

Indeed.

Squid Vicious 06-03-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo_bravo (Post 3554506)

Aaaahhhh, hahahaha. It's funny because they're calling Sean Penn a fag. And fag means gay person. And gay people are funny.

echo_bravo 06-03-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid Vicious (Post 3559724)
Aaaahhhh, hahahaha. It's funny because they're calling Sean Penn a fag. And fag means gay person. And gay people are funny.

Yeah Trey Parker & Matt Stone crack me up too.

magjournal 06-03-2012 02:24 PM

Sean Penn is a gangsta.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.

Matchbox225 06-03-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

But Sean Penn isn't funny.

Squid Vicious 06-06-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo_bravo (Post 3559828)
Yeah Trey Parker & Matt Stone crack me up too.

...I was being sarcastic.

echo_bravo 06-06-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid Vicious (Post 3560933)
...I was being sarcastic.

I wasn't

Buck Turgidson 06-06-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

That is pretty fucking pathetic.

Those guys were funny for about a year or so.

Bourne101 06-27-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson (Post 3561003)
That is pretty fucking pathetic.

Those guys were funny for about a year or so.

Their humor certainly isn't for everyone, but their film made Sean Penn write them a letter claiming that the film, which featured puppet fucking, was going to swing an election. If they aren't funny, the reactions that they get out of some of the celebrities they poke fun at certainly are.

"But I've been to Iraq guys... Iraq."

Matchbox225 06-27-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne101 (Post 3568683)
Their humor certainly isn't for everyone, but their film made Sean Penn write them a letter claiming that the film, which featured puppet fucking, was going to swing an election. If they aren't funny, the reactions that they get out of some of the celebrities they poke fun at certainly are.

"But I've been to Iraq guys... Iraq."

Remember when Sean Penn presented at the Oscars and defended Jude Law for stuff Chris Rock said HOURS BEFORE? :rolleyes:

The guy seriously has no sense of humor. He's only proving their point.

I think the only actor I can think of now who was cool about the movie was Matt Damon, which isn't surprising.

Buck Turgidson 06-28-2012 12:03 AM

Even if he's the single most humorless clod on the planet that still doesn't make that bit any funnier or any less ridiculous.

Buck Turgidson 06-28-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matchbox225 (Post 3568815)
He's only proving their point.

That he's a fag?

I mean that is just truly quite the bullseye zinger there. 7th graders all over America stand and applaud their insight.

Matchbox225 06-28-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson (Post 3568821)
That he's a fag?

I mean that is just truly quite the bullseye zinger there. 7th graders all over America stand and applaud their insight.

I don't care for Trey Parker or Matt Stone one bit, and yes, they aren't saying anything about celebrites that we don't already know, but sometimes they do have it coming.

Bourne101 06-28-2012 09:05 AM

Parker and Stone are easily two of my favorite comedic filmmakers. In a world where everything is represented as being so fucking black and white, and there is "liberal humor" and "conservative humor" (or absolute failure when one side tries to poke fun at themselves), these guys have the balls to call everyone out on their bullshit. Of course a lot of their humor is childish, but a lot of it is also quite clever and hilarious.

echo_bravo 06-29-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Just an FYI, they are calling him a F.A.G cause he's a member of the Film Actors Guild.;)

marilynMONROBOT 06-29-2012 12:38 PM

Wait, is it in to hate Parker and Stone now? I must've missed that memo..say what you will about the sophomoric nature of most of their humor, but for my money there hasnt ever been a show on TV that more consistently took on the heaviest/most relevant/most ridiculous topics in our world right now and satirized them so very very cleverly. Kids come for the "fag" Adults stay for the biting commentary on ridiculously up to date and relevant pop culture/political/religious hot button issues.

Oh yeah and Sean Penn can act his fucking face off and i'll always love him in pretty much anything besides I Am Sam, but damn. He sure seems like he sucks all the fun out of being a human being. It's one thing to care deeply for humanity, it's another to become so self entitled over your good deeds that you feel you can talk down to people as if they are the cause of all the problems in the world. :rolleyes:

Squid Vicious 06-29-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo_bravo (Post 3569287)
Just an FYI, they are calling him a F.A.G cause he's a member of the Film Actors Guild.;)

I've seen the movie. Unfortunately.

Bourne101 06-29-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marilynMONROBOT (Post 3569361)
Wait, is it in to hate Parker and Stone now? I must've missed that memo..say what you will about the sophomoric nature of most of their humor, but for my money there hasnt ever been a show on TV that more consistently took on the heaviest/most relevant/most ridiculous topics in our world right now and satirized them so very very cleverly. Kids come for the "fag" Adults stay for the biting commentary on ridiculously up to date and relevant pop culture/political/religious hot button issues.

Bingo.

MisoGenie 06-29-2012 01:03 PM

I'm more committed to Matt Stone and Trey Parker than I am to all of Haiti, and I'm darn proud of it.

KcMsterpce 06-30-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

He sure seems like he sucks all the fun out of being a human being. It's one thing to care deeply for humanity, it's another to become so self entitled over your good deeds that you feel you can talk down to people as if they are the cause of all the problems in the world. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's how I feel about it.

You can also take any other "hot" topic and blast Sean Penn for not being there RIGHT NOW for them. There's no way one person can be everywhere at once. So, fuck Mr. Penn for not being there!

Digifruitella 07-01-2012 01:26 AM

Agreed with you marilyn and KcM. I feel the same way, he seems to overkill it in a bad way. I hate that about him though, he should just continue helping out and talk about issues like in a normal manner, blaming everyone else is ridiculous.

Sydeswype 07-03-2012 04:25 PM

If an actor wants to put their time and effort into helping a foreign country up on their feet, that's fine. More power to them. But spending american tax dollars? Our country has enough trouble, enough homeless, enough unemployed, enough disaster stricken people without sending checks overseas. There is more than one country on this little blue world, let them pick up the slack for once and let USA help its own people or at least slowly dig itself out of the trillion dollar debt it's in.

God of War 10-28-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

It's one thing to care deeply for humanity, it's another to become so self entitled over your good deeds that you feel you can talk down to people as if they are the cause of all the problems in the world.

We are the cause of most of the problems on this planet. Not all of them. But I do agree with you. That's no excuse to talk down to people in that manner.