Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Current Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Men in Black 3 (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145813)

SpikeDurden 05-22-2012 12:14 PM

Men in Black 3

http://new.philstar.com/content/arti...nBlack3_03.jpg

MEN IN BLACK 3

Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld (Men in Black, The Addams Family, Get Shorty)

Written by Etan Cohen (With David Koepp, Jeff Nathanson, and Michael Soccio); Based on the Comic by Lowell Cunningham

Starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Emma Thompson, Jemaine Clement, and Michael Stuhlbarg

Rated PG-13 for sci-fi action violence, and brief suggestive content

Running Time of 106 Minutes

Agent J travels in time to MIB's early years in the 1960s, to stop an alien from assassinating his friend Agent K and changing history.

After the awful second film and the reported production troubles on this one, I was expecting the early word to be positively vitriolic. That being said, apparently this film is actually pretty fun, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I love the first one. It reminds me of youth.

ilovemovies 05-22-2012 11:29 PM

I didn't think the second one was all that bad. The main problem I had with the movie was that it felt incredibly rushed. They should have developed the story more. But it was still fun.

Looking forward to this movie. Will definitely be watching the midnight showing on Thursday night.

Brolin looks like he does such a dead on awesome impersonation of Tommy Lee Jones! :cool:

poopontheshoes7 05-24-2012 03:21 PM

I started this thread yesterday in the Upcoming boards like a dumbass. So feel free to close it:p

I'm actually looking forward to this now considering it's getting some pleasant word of mouth.

MIIB is one of the biggest disappointments of my life, movie wise. It completely lacked the wit and off kilter humor that makes the first one so memorable and funny. Instead we get a sloppy plot with lame sitcom humor.

I may just being seeing this weekend now.

AspectRatio1986 05-24-2012 03:48 PM

Might catch a matinee of this either Sunday or Monday, glad to see the semi decent reviews on Rotten Tomatoes...

ilovemovies 05-25-2012 02:34 AM

I enjoyed immensely. It's a lot of fun. Smith is great and so is Josh Brolin. Tommy Lee Jones is barely in the movie though as the majority of the movie takes place in 1969 with Agent J working with a young Agent K. And there is very cool twist at the very end that's actually kind of sort of touching. But there is one massive plot hole the movie doesn't even bother to address.

Spoiler:
If Agent K was killed in 1969, then since it was Agent K who recruited Agent J into the MIB, wouldn't that mean that Agent J never would have joined?

Other than that though, I had a great time. Will Smith has lost none of his charisma. The dude just has massive screen presence. And Brolin's impersonation of Tommy Lee Jones really is dead on. I know it's already been said a lot, but he really is awesome here.

CuatroDiablos 05-25-2012 07:46 AM

so your score is 7/10?

bigred760 05-25-2012 07:09 PM

I definitely enjoyed MIB3 more than the second one. It was a lot of fun, has a great turn by Josh Brolin as the younger K, and a bit of a surprise twist at the end that I didn't see coming and I thought it was a nice touch. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are still great together and have good chemistry, and in turn so do Smith and Brolin. The story is a lot of fun with J having to time travel back to try and save K from assassination. The subplot involving J & K's partnership and relationship continues and is that much more fun with the time travel storyline. My one issue with the movie is that the villain isn't that spectacular. He's basically a one-note character that is very strong, can shoot sharp things out of his hand, and repeats what apparently is his personal one-liner too many times. The movie and story belong to J & K and they were enough to make the movie enjoyable.

7/10

kobe8byrant 05-25-2012 08:23 PM

I heard that Tommy Lee Jones is only in this for five minutes. True?

bigred760 05-25-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kobe8byrant (Post 3557146)
I heard that Tommy Lee Jones is only in this for five minutes. True?

He's in it for more than 5 minutes. I'd say probably about 20-25 minutes of the 1 hour 45 minute movie.

SpikeDurden 05-26-2012 09:34 AM

I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting. It's light, fun, fairly well constructed, looks great, and packs a surprising emotional punch. The set pieces are exciting and bigger in scale than anything else in this series, and the visual effects and alien design are clever and whimsical. It's nice to see Smith back on the screen, charismatic as ever, and Tommy Lee Jones is fine in his shrunken role. The film's biggest delight, though, is Josh Brolin. I also loved the 60s production design and the film has some really great jokes. Also, Michael Stuhlbarg is wonderful, which is becoming quite common.

The beginning is a little sloppy and it takes a bit to get going, but once it does it is smooth sailing. You could certainly do worse than this.

Mr.HyDe807 05-26-2012 02:24 PM

I just can't throw down money for this. 10-11 (plus more considering the 3d aspect) bucks is not worth seeing a sequel that some people are saying is not as bad as they thought it would be. The first one is lightly enjoyable and I haven't touched the sequel, considering how bad the brief clips I've seen are.

Pass.

john_rambo 05-27-2012 01:40 AM

Saw it and liked it. Didn't go in expecting to leave with a changed life... and enjoyed the hell out of this movie. For those who haven't seen it worried about Tommy Lee's lack of screen time (probably a little more than 20 minutes), Josh Brolin is so convincing as him, that you really don't even think about it. I was kind of bummed at...

Spoiler:
no Tony Shalhoub cameo, and no real appearance by Frank the Pug other than what I think was a picture of him in J's room.

Probably didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first, but still dug the hell out of it. 8/10

Extra Non Movie Related Note (well kinda movie related but not really): I know he hasn't made music in a while... but I was highly disappointed that, though I didn't think it would be there. Hate all you want but it was signature of the first two!!!!

AspectRatio1986 05-27-2012 01:16 PM

Prolly checkin this out tomorrow....can't believe its been 4 years since Smith's last movie...

athf1980 05-27-2012 08:00 PM

3.5/5

a solid sci-fi show w/ Josh Brolin stealing the show. defiantly better then the second.

anakinsrise 05-28-2012 06:41 AM

I have never found the MIB films terribly exciting,or suspenseful.They were very creative due to the incredible creature work of Rick Baker and the fun came from the banter between Will Smith as Agent J, Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K
In this third and possibly last film Agent J goes back in time to 1969 to prevent the assasination of Agent K by an interesting intergalactic villain named
Boris the Animal(Jemaine Clement ) who looks like a combination of DC comics villain Lobo,Randy Macho Man Savage,and Tim Curry.

Josh Brolin as Young Agent K does a remarkable job of capturing Jone's mannerisms and southern drawl,Smith is his usual self.The women in the film Emma Thompson as Agent O,
Alice Eve as Young Agent O,Nicole Scherzinger as Lily, Boris' girlfriend definitley dont get enough screen time.
The film has its fun moments but definitley takes its time to really get going.
If this is the final MIB film im glad the story has come full circle,and that its ending on a moving if somewhat predictable good note.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

oh-dae-su 05-28-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3556839)
Spoiler:
If Agent K was killed in 1969, then since it was Agent K who recruited Agent J into the MIB, wouldn't that mean that Agent J never would have joined?

Spoiler:
They mentioned that someone else employed Jay.

jolanar 05-28-2012 09:07 PM

This one was actually shockingly good. I didn't expect anything at all after the disaster that was MIB 2.

Brolin and Smith had great chemistry and the story was much better. Definitely recommend it to all.

vera0707@sina.com 05-28-2012 10:47 PM

I haven't seen Men in Black 3 yet, plan to watch it Tomorrow night.

darkface 05-29-2012 12:05 AM

I had fun with it! It's not as good as the original, but it's pretty damn close. The effects are good, the story is not too shabby, and the actors are fun to watch. The 3D was actually pretty good as well.

7/10

jolanar 05-31-2012 07:06 PM

This villain in this one was so so much better than MIB 2.

I don't know about you guys, but when that little bug crawled into his hand the first time I had to look away.

JoeChar4321 06-01-2012 03:32 PM

6/10

Absurd I expected but completely unremarkable I did not. Along the lines of the first film but with less charm and really no solid action in my opinion, this film is a cotton candy and gas combination film. Bubbly sugar farts result and if thatís what youíre looking for then this is the perfect movie. On the plus side, Will Smith hits all the right notes. Still, the logic flaws demand that the viewer canít take the film seriously even for a moment and thereís not enough humor, heart or action to carry the movie any higher than an average to below average rating in my book.

Erroneous 06-01-2012 04:15 PM

8/10

The best MIB yet. I liked the first one, but did not think it was great by any means. The second one I downright did not like. This one is fresh. Funny in many parts. Great story. Great special effects. Lacked a little action is its only flaw.

I really was not expecting much, given the weak second one, but with good word of mouth I went and was happy I went.

Dirtyfrog 06-02-2012 01:06 PM

Not a bad movie but very forgettable. Well-done but unoriginal ( and i'm not complaining about the time-travel angle , i usually like those ) 6/10

P1NSTR1PEZ 06-09-2012 02:35 PM

Not terrible, better than the second one, but this one had major plot holes.

Also the CGI was awful, and I was surprised by the amount of cursing, seemed uncharacteristic for this kind of a film. I did like the twist towards the end, and the stuff about the 1969 Mets was cool.

It's sad that this is the movie Will Smith does after almost a 4 year hiatus.

Could have been worse, could have been better.

Full Review - Review - http://bit.ly/Kq1EA3

poopontheshoes7 06-09-2012 02:53 PM

7.5/10

A majorly pleasant surprise. I enjoyed the hell out of it. 100 times more clever, fun and heartfelt then the second film.

Quiddler 06-18-2012 09:44 PM

Bob Hoskins cameo?

When Agent K jumped from the Chrysler building to do his "time jump", at the point where he passed through the 1929 stock crash there was (presumably) a stock broker jumping to his death who was falling along side Agent K for a few seconds. The stock broker looked to be clutching a hat to his head and was a little portly. Call me crazy, but I could have sworn that it was a cameo by Bob Hoskins as a sly little nod to his 'falling from a skyscraper' sequence from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

Anyone else catch that? or am I crazy pants?

benhilfenhus@ymail.com 08-31-2012 04:37 AM

I always watch this movie. It was action and comedy movie. I really enjoyed watched this movie. My friends says that "Men in Black 3" is a brainless comedy. "Men in Black 3" does have its brainless moments. The ending was very touching.

Jim Colyer 09-01-2012 05:06 PM

Sequels have become a disease in the movie industry.

heathjack 09-07-2012 02:14 PM

more mib

I own both nothing can beat the first one i enjoed the first one i think they rushed the seocond too the jokes weren't funny they put almost all the move in one trailer. i only like the part were the little alien inir locker worhiping k and then they starting worshiping j it was funny.i enjoyed the third one lot better then the second one i woulld love t o see one more mib moive maybe have more tommy lee jone in it. i wouldn't mind seeing theJosh Brolin as younge k aging i think they should have had more Tommy Lee Jones in it.

Jim Colyer 10-01-2012 10:43 PM

Sequels are out of hand. Each sequel is worse than the one before it.

psycheoutsteve 10-03-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer (Post 3606155)
Sequels are out of hand. Each sequel is worse than the one before it.

How...insightful...

and not necessarily true at all.

T2, Aliens, The Dark Knight, Godfather Part 2, Blade 2, Before Sunset, The Empire Strikes Back. Anyone? Anyone?