Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Les Miserables (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145880)

Bourne101 05-30-2012 11:05 AM

Les Miserables
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3uUTKOUhZU

Calling it right now... this is winning Best Picture.

SpikeDurden 05-30-2012 11:18 AM

I can't wait. Looks fantastic.

And yes, Bourne, that seems like a fair call. Anne may very well win one too.

CuatroDiablos 05-30-2012 11:32 AM

Calling it before I even watch the trailer...it's a fucking musical.

edit: I was fucking right ...and I ain't watching it.

P1NSTR1PEZ 05-30-2012 11:53 AM

I don't think it wins Best Picture, I think it'll win music, costume and possibly Cinematography.

Delmont 05-30-2012 01:59 PM

Big musical theatre fan, here. I'm always skeptical of stage to big screen adaptations, but damn this looks excellent.

December 25th is seeing the release of Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and this? Merry Christmas to me!

SpikeDurden 05-30-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delmont (Post 3558337)
Big musical theatre fan, here. I'm always skeptical of stage to big screen adaptations, but damn this looks excellent.

December 25th is seeing the release of Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and this? Merry Christmas to me!

This is actually set for Dec. 14 in the US. Not quite sure why the trailer says Christmas unless they changed it.

rustysyringe 05-30-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos (Post 3558268)
Calling it before I even watch the trailer...it's a fucking musical.

edit: I was fucking right ...and I ain't watching it.

+1

Erroneous 05-30-2012 02:46 PM

I liked the one with Liam and Rush. I will prob see this one. I like Crowe, Jackman, Anne and Amanda. I have culture dammit.

And Bourne FUCK YOU! Dark Knight Rises wins best movie. lol

Delmont 05-30-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpikeDurden (Post 3558355)
This is actually set for Dec. 14 in the US. Not quite sure why the trailer says Christmas unless they changed it.

You're right SpikeDurden - looks like I was mistaken. Still though, December is sure to be a great month for movie fans.

AspectRatio1986 05-30-2012 05:20 PM

I'm far more interested in this than The King's Speech.

creekin111 05-30-2012 05:54 PM

The 30's version was great if any of you haven't seen it yet check it out. Charles Laughton ftw!

JCPhoenix 05-30-2012 07:04 PM

I knew absolutely jack shit about Les Miserables before seeing this trailer...and honestly, it's not at all what I expected - a lot darker looking for one thing (I guess I should have expected that from a movie with the title Les Miserables).

I think it looks surprisingly pretty good, at least on a visual level.

ilovemovies 05-30-2012 07:16 PM

Don't get me wrong. The movie looks incredible and I'm pretty sure it'll end up being great. But still, the only version of Les Miserables I have ever seen is the non musical movie with Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush and Claire Danes. Consequently, it's going to feel kind of weird seeing people sing in this story. It doesn't really strike me as the kind of story that leads to people singing suddenly.

Erroneous 05-31-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCPhoenix (Post 3558428)
I knew absolutely jack shit about Les Miserables before seeing this trailer...and honestly, it's not at all what I expected - a lot darker looking for one thing (I guess I should have expected that from a movie with the title Les Miserables).

I think it looks surprisingly pretty good, at least on a visual level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3558431)
Don't get me wrong. The movie looks incredible and I'm pretty sure it'll end up being great. But still, the only version of Les Miserables I have ever seen is the non musical movie with Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush and Claire Danes. Consequently, it's going to feel kind of weird seeing people sing in this story. It doesn't really strike me as the kind of story that leads to people singing suddenly.

Do you people know this is a musical that has been running for over 20 years on Broadway????

ilovemovies 05-31-2012 01:12 AM

Yes, I am aware it was a musical first. But I still can't picture people singing in this kind of story. Maybe it works. I don't know. Like I said, the non musical movie is the only version I have seen. So we'll see.

JCPhoenix 05-31-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erroneous (Post 3558574)
Do you people know this is a musical that has been running for over 20 years on Broadway????

Yes, I knew it was a big Broadway hit and...that's about it. Apart from the iconic poster. To be honest, I'd barely given it two thoughts before seeing the trailer. As I said in my post, I'm sure if I actually spent a thought on the title beforehand, I would've realized that it's obviously a grim story, but I didn't, so I expected something more like standard musical fare (Rodgers & Hammerstein-ish).

As I said though, I'm interested in seeing this now.

mightyisis 10-14-2012 06:28 PM

I guess it should have occured to me that "musical" might be an automatic turn off or lead to assumptions for some. Thing is having seen the live stage version 3 times now I can say no other muscial I've seen is anything like it. For one it's through-sung, meaning that there's no bursting into song. Not that the songs are happy anyway. No "I Feel Pretty"s here. What you have is the dialog and the asides both being sung. So there's no abrupt weirdness of switching to music. I honestly don't know how they plan to do this in the film but trust me it works in the play. And yes the story is bleak, dark, depressing, and heartbreaking. Unless you have absolutely no empathy and a heart of stone you are in emotinal agony about 1/3 in and it just doesn't stop. Sounds fun, huh? And yet I've subjected myself to it multiple times because the songs really do capture a depth of human experience more profound than anything else I've ever seen. I'm really hoping those not familiar with the story and those not normally keen on musicals give it a try. I can't wait to see what they think. Me, I'm coming prepared, with a whole box of tissues.

Moviefan02000 10-15-2012 08:44 PM

I'm by far the biggest musical theatre fan here and I absolutely can't wait for this. I hope the Mayans are right and we world doesn't end because I'll be so upset if I don't end up seeing this :p (the release date was in fact switched to Christmas Day, bastards). I'm really hoping this does great and there are some GOOD stage to screen adaptations in the future (Kate Winslet in Next to Normal.. please??).

P1NSTR1PEZ 11-08-2012 11:17 AM

New Trailer - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2jP

creekin111 11-08-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ (Post 3621887)

I don't see a trailer. Must've taken it down.

creekin111 11-09-2012 03:12 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLY1O5s8CYA

P1NSTR1PEZ 12-01-2012 04:39 PM

Time to sing along to five new clips from Les Miserables - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2pn

dellamorte dellamore 12-05-2012 09:48 AM

Already popped my cinematic cherry with POTO on the big screen and i easily accepted all the musical interludes so i'm looking forward to this .


LM looks even more fantastic

P1NSTR1PEZ 12-07-2012 04:33 PM

Go behind the curtain of Les Miserables with four new featurettes about costume design, production, makeup and more - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2r9

creekin111 12-08-2012 02:13 PM

Looks like another highly anticipated December release that's getting early mediocre reviews.

Bondgirl 12-08-2012 05:15 PM

I always knew that Hugh jackman had a mustcal background but Crowe singing did surprise me because he has always come across as a real rough and abut bblokey but l have,to say the,clip looks good

P1NSTR1PEZ 12-18-2012 04:52 PM

Anne Hathaway and Samuel L. Jackson have a sad-off --- it's Les Miserables vs Django Unchined - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2tS


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.