Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   E3 - 2012 (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145925)

Vong 06-04-2012 08:56 AM

E3 - 2012

It's that time of year again!

Coverage of the event starts in 1 hour, with the first major conference to start at 12:30 (EDT). I've already booked the day off work and loaded on my munchies!

There probably won't be that many big surprises this year, as most news about the gaming industry leaks days before the event.

But here's what we can expect from the major players:

Microsoft - No plans have emerged about the Xbox 720, and probably nothing will be even hinted at during their conference. What we can expect are more demos on the Kinect, and more details on Halo 4, Forza and how each will use the Kinect to their advantage. No doubt they will also spend time on the 360's streaming services that are offered on the platform.

Sony - As with Microsoft, no official talk about the PS4 has been given, and probably nothing will be said during their conference either. We will definitely see more Vita titles and better looks at the new God of War, Playstation All-Stars, The Last of Us, and hopefully a long awaited release date of Team Ico's The Last Guardian.

Nintendo - The Wii U will be front and centre of Nintendo's conference, with more details on console to be expected. Nintendo has already jumped the gun by releasing details on their Wii U Pro Controller and their jump into the online community, but the big surprises will be the launch titles for the Wii U which is expected to be released this fall.

Cosimo 06-04-2012 01:17 PM

Microsoft conference was a complete joke. Not one game, not one!

that RE6 part was meant to be scary!!

i'm not buying their next generation console, fuck that. Wiiu and Ps3/4

HALO4 looked like Metroid Prime!

Wii U, i'm buying it. PIKMIN will blow away everything else

Ruly2 06-04-2012 02:31 PM

WII U @ E3 2012(GamePad,Pro Controller & Miiverse)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vong (Post 3560100)

Nintendo - The Wii U will be front and centre of Nintendo's conference, with more details on console to be expected. Nintendo has already jumped the gun by releasing details on their Wii U Pro Controller and their jump into the online community, but the big surprises will be the launch titles for the Wii U which is expected to be released this fall.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06...38_636x300.jpg
The layout and design of the GamePad is still more or less the same as seen on the prototype device last year but it now has normal analogue sticks instead of the prototype’s two 3DS style Circle Pads. The analogue sticks can also be clicked down like the DualShock’s R3 and R4 buttons.

The face buttons and D-pad have been moved in towards the touchscreen slightly, for easier access, and the rear handgrips altered for additional comfort. The four shoulder buttons though don’t seem to have been changed.

The GamePad still has all the gyroscopic and motion sensors of the prototype, plus there’s a button that lets you switch the display image from the television to the touchscreen and back again whenever you like.

As leaked by Ubisoft’s Rayman Legends trailer a few months ago the GamePad also uses NFC ( near field communication), which allows it to scan and interact with objects and trading cards placed on the touchscreen – very much in the manner of Activision’s Skylanders.

You can even use the GamePad as a TV remote if you want, when the Wii U console is switched off, as final proof of Nintendo’s kitchen sink approach to the new controller. Although the Wii U is also fully backwards compatible with Wii U games, the Wii remote, nunchuck and Balance Board.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06...78_466x310.jpg
Also unveiled at the same time was an alternative controller that looks much more like a traditional joypad. Following in the tradition of the Wii’s Classic Controller series, the Wii U Pro Controller is meant for more traditional games and will be especially useful for Wii U versions of multiformat games.

The other big revelation from the Nintendo Direct video is ‘Miiverse’. Described as a ‘brand-new network communication system that lets gamers from around the world share experiences, discuss games and discover new content’, it seems like Miiverse is Nintendo’s answer to Xbox Live and other persistent online services.

Using your Mii characters you’ll be able to see what you and your friends have been playing lately, challenge them to games, ask questions and, ‘after a notable achievement or other share-worthy moment, players can pause their game or application and seamlessly post messages to the Miiverse community’.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06...50_466x310.jpg
t’s essentially Nintendo’s take on an integrated social network and as long as there no friend code style surprises waiting to be revealed, and spoil the accessibility, it could do much to silence scepticism over the Wii U’s online credentials.

What’s also interesting is that Nintendo’s explanation for revealing so much about the hardware ahead of E3 is that at their pre-E3 press conference tomorrow they want to concentrate solely on the games, which is another encouraging sign that Nintendo are not going to let the Wii U’s launch be another 3DS style wet squib.

It’s thought unlikely that Nintendo will announce the price of the Wii U at E3 this week, but they are expected to reveal at least a US release date – since currently all we know is that the Wii U will be out before Christmas.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/90...#ixzz1wrHagA78

NOTE: A WHILE BACK IT WAS LEAKED THAT THE 'WII U' WOULD HAVE A RELEASE DATE OF NOVEMBER 18TH,2012 AND THAT THE SYSTEM WOULD COST $299.

vesaker 06-04-2012 03:14 PM

I'm not sure what to think this year. Nintendo is throwing tons out while Microsoft and Sony seem to want to stay tight lipped. I thought E3 was the time to pimp out their crazy shit but it seems its not so in the past couple years.

If not hte next gen you gotta push the games and it seems like they aren't even doing that in some cases.

Dirtyfrog 06-04-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vesaker (Post 3560260)
I'm not sure what to think this year. Nintendo is throwing tons out while Microsoft and Sony seem to want to stay tight lipped. I thought E3 was the time to pimp out their crazy shit but it seems its not so in the past couple years.

E3 isn't was it used to be and only Nintendo got new hardware to show. This generation is stalling (PS3 came out in 2006 in Japan , Xbox came out in 2005 ). It will take more than new chapters in big franchise to kept people captivated.

Just look at this awesome resume of Microsoft conference
http://i.imgur.com/Dw2P5.jpg
:D

Vong 06-04-2012 06:21 PM

It was nice to see Splinter Cell is back, but was weird that Michael Ironside wasn't the voice of Sam Fisher...threw me WAY off!

But yes, the Xbox show was basically all about Xbox Live and the features no one use.

However, just saw the demo of the Ubisoft game Watch Dogs....holy shit, that was fucking badass!

Cosimo 06-05-2012 06:22 AM

i thought Splinter Cell very overwhelming, felt like the latest Ghost Recon

Nintendo will win this e3, i fear for them, as they are losing money

Roy Batty 06-05-2012 09:48 AM

I haven't really looked forward to E3 in many years, so I wasn't completely disappointed by what we've gotten so far.

Microsoft has always had disappointing conferences. For the last three years it has been all about Kinect, Halo, or 'guess what feature is coming to Xbox?' They haven't made much of a splash in anything. And the fact they haven't announced anything exclusive besides Halo and Gears, shows that the life of their console is already dead and it's time to introduce a new console. Smart Glass sounds very similar to features found already on Apple and Sony's devices , just on a larger scale because it isn't confined to Window' devices.

Nintendo, like always, presents hardware that is years outdated, but manages to present some new element of how games should be approached. I was so excited for the Wii, initially, but, like many, the years that followed its launch weren't exciting. I'd say the only games worth owning were first-party and even though they were only really good through one play through. But in regards to the Wii U, I think the gamepad controller is too large to fully enjoy playing anything that isn't a first-party exclusive (i.e. Mario, Metroid, and Zelda), but the alternative 'hardcore' controller aka Xbox 360 clone, looks like Nintendo's way of reassuring developer's they can make ports easily for its console. Additionally, the games and features shown off make it look simply like a Wii with HD graphics and new controller. The entire Mii interface has always annoyed me because clearly it's something appealing to children. The feature of sharing content from the controller to the tv is nothing new, it's called AirPlay in Apple' world, and Sony has been doing something similar with the PS3 and Vita. Finally, IGN has posted that it's expected to cost $383 in Japan, so we can expect something similar over here either $350 or $400. To me, that's not worth it when I can just wait a year or two for Microsoft and/or Sony to release their consoles. Oh, and rumors have it Nintendo is introducing another XL DS' device aka FUCK YOU NINTENDO FANS!

Sony, out of the three giants, is the only company I fear is in danger overall. And when I say danger I'm speaking in regards to becoming like Sega and stop making hardware and instead focus solely on software. The Vita, like it's older brother, isn't doing well and most likely won't do well over its life cycle. Fortunately, they did introduce some exclusives that look appealing--specially All Stars Battle Royale and Last of Us. There's still so much life in the PS3 that I would like them--similar to Microsoft--to just update the interface, get rid of the million updates, and focus on bringing more features. And please, for the love of God, fix the browser on the Playstation, it's terrible.

Beachguy 06-05-2012 12:19 PM

Nintendo's E3 coverage stunk!

I am home today so I watched half of the Nintendo E3 coverage. It stinks... They have managed to make Mario U look like a pure turd.

I don't care about Pikmin past a few minutes so that's not a grabber in the long run.

I'd give this conference a D-!

Cosimo 06-05-2012 12:39 PM

All conferences were crap. E3 is a jk

Sony brought Beyond is all

Roy Batty 06-05-2012 12:45 PM

Just watched the Nintendo press conference, if that's what they're calling it, and it was probably one of the worst ways to spend forty minutes. But the best part was this...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...4o0o1_1280.png

Roy Batty 06-05-2012 03:00 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...8p4so1_500.png

moose1132 06-05-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vong (Post 3560322)
It was nice to see Splinter Cell is back, but was weird that Michael Ironside wasn't the voice of Sam Fisher...threw me WAY off!

But yes, the Xbox show was basically all about Xbox Live and the features no one use.

However, just saw the demo of the Ubisoft game Watch Dogs....holy shit, that was fucking badass!

I was really disappointed by everything I heard about Splinter Cell. The last few games have gone in a bad direction. We have enough CODs/Halos/Gears of Wars out there for them to try and dumb Splinter Cell down to that. I was hoping the new one would be a return to form, but I guess not. I miss stealth games that make you take your time and think. :(

Vong 06-05-2012 03:47 PM

This year seemed like a let down on most fronts.

The only excitement I got was from The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed III, Watch Dog and Star Wars 1313.

Really underwhelming year so far....

Roy Batty 06-05-2012 04:07 PM

I was completely blown away by the Star Wars gameplay we saw, the graphics look amazing!

vesaker 06-05-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 (Post 3560633)

Bwahahahahahahaha

Dirtyfrog 06-05-2012 06:47 PM

Well , so far this E3 is pretty forgettable but i have to admit that i'm really impressed by ZombiU from Ubisoft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEoR9...eature=related

i liked that they included the tablet view in the trailer instead of having someone playing the game below the big screen.

Beard_of_Meat 06-10-2012 09:29 AM

I was actually looking forward to seeing what Nintendo would bring and it did nothing but disappoint.Mario U looks terrible..Zombie U (worst name EVER) looked decent but nothing that would sell systems...Sure Wii U is a power house of a system but Nintendo's timing is waaay off..They are showing off new hardware that is more powerful than either Xbox 360 or PS3 but what are they going to do when Microsoft bring out their new system (I pray they don't go with Xbox 720) and Sony shows off PS4.Nintendo will once again be on the floor begging for scraps.I love Nintendo..I have owned the NES,SNES,N64,Gamecube and Wii and have found that Nintendo hasn't had any real fight since the good old SNES vs Genesis days...They have the potential for greatness and they just throw it away on stupid little titles that gear towards the new customer and they leave all their loyal fans who have supported them from day 1 with shit...Personally if I was President of Nintendo I would scrap all of the gimmicky bullshit and make a straight up gaming machine with games that people want..if people want a new Mario game give them the best damn Mario game ever..not this stupid shit where you use the controller to create little platforms so Mario can use them..Until that day comes I will not support Nintendo again.

razgriz21 06-13-2012 09:41 AM

I really didn't watch much of E3.

Basically didn't miss much.

Anyway, I think this will be an under the radar year for some hits.

Also, why don't we have a Half-Life 3 or Half-Life 2: Episode 3 yet?