Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ouya - The next big thing for independent gaming? (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146232)

vesaker 07-12-2012 03:13 PM

Ouya - The next big thing for independent gaming?

So first off the Ouya is apparently a new gaming console that could be coming. Its goal is to give independent developers more of a place to develop their games for a console minded presentation, in other words stuff to be played on TV's as opposed to tablets or smart phones.

Here is an article on Engadget about the Ouya

There is a pretty nice short vid that talks a lot about what they want to achieve with this console and it's pretty interesting. They talk about how the current console market is relatively closed to smaller independent companies if for no other reason that its really costly to develop for the 3 major consoles. This is apparently why mobile devices have had such a huge influx of independent games over the last couple years, cause its the only place they can get their stuff out there for the most part.

So a bit of a summary of things:
- They want to bring independent gaming to the "play on the tv" realm
- The device is to be completely open ended and will even allows buys to tweak it
- All games will (supposedly) be free to play
- A lot of focus went into developing the controller so that its something "hardcore" gamers will be comfortable with
- entire library will be digital

Here are some pics i found on google:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects...jpg?1341289509http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....12-07-11-2.jpg

Now this thing is supposed to sell for only $99 on release and according to the article the company did some fund raising recently and raised $2.5 mil in about 24 hrs, which isn't bad. The article also goes into the flaws of such a format, citing similar other products that haven't done too well, but there is hope that this could be a big step in bringing more independent game developers to the realm of playing on the tv like a traditional console.

Roy Batty 07-12-2012 08:44 PM

This is what I foresee happening. This thing won't sell very well, but with a great concept like this, other companies (Microsoft, Sony) will use such features in their upcoming consoles and make millions.

jolanar 07-12-2012 10:07 PM

Meh. I would certainly never buy it. Is there really a market for people who want to play angry birds on their big screen TV?

moose1132 07-12-2012 10:11 PM

This kind of reminds me of that Phantom console everyone was talking about years ago that never came out.

Cronos 07-13-2012 05:28 AM

"Hurrr durrrrr it don't have cod why wud i bover wid dis shyt."

Most people seem to be completely missing the point of this console. Of course it's not going to compete against Microsoft and Sony's shitboxes, it doesn't have the hurr durr titles that people throw money at, such as cod, for one thing, or the backing of the major game studios.

It's more for the indie developers, hackers, coders to mess with and have a singular platform for their games to get played and noticed... for the amount of potential it has you can't complain with the $100 price tag.

And with $4.5 mill raised with 26 days to go and 30k+ units shifted there's clearly some demand for it.

Cronos 07-13-2012 05:33 AM

Since that article failed (from what I could see at least) to point to the kickstarter page, for anyone interested:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...o-game-console

Silverload 07-13-2012 07:06 AM

This new console is a long shot, but I would love to see it become a hit. I would love to see a rise in independent games again. Most of the popular games today are just carbon copies of stuff pioneered by independent game designers of the past.

I will certainly buy one.

vesaker 07-13-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 (Post 3575019)
This is what I foresee happening. This thing won't sell very well, but with a great concept like this, other companies (Microsoft, Sony) will use such features in their upcoming consoles and make millions.

Well thats the thing though, its not about hardware or software competition like motion control did for the Wii vs Move/Kenect or AAA games. Its about the fact that independent developers can't really do console games cause its too costly.

This is about going against the established market that the consoles have. I can't imagine Sony/Ninentdo/Microsoft releasing consoles that allow to to create your own stuff, tweak existing content or have their library free to play which is what the Ouya is hoping to offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolanar (Post 3575026)
Meh. I would certainly never buy it. Is there really a market for people who want to play angry birds on their big screen TV?

You're missing the point completely. this isn't being made so that you can play Angry Birds on your tv. Its being made so that the type of ppl who made Angry Birds can take their games to the next lvl and design them around being played on a tv.

The problem is that these independent companies are forced to make games for smart phones/tablets because thats the only platforms that currently exist that they can afford to make for. The Ouya is out to change that, hopefully.

I can't wait to see what stuff these guys come up with. Since getting a tablet i've played more then a few games where i wished i was on a console on a tv instead of a smaller touch screen. The games are already coming out.

adamjohnson 07-13-2012 04:26 PM

I would buy it just to play all the roms and emulators i have.

jolanar 07-13-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cronos (Post 3575116)
"Hurrr durrrrr it don't have cod why wud i bover wid dis shytt

No reason to be a dick.

vesaker 07-17-2012 03:10 PM

Engadget has an interview with OUYA founder and CEO Julie Uhrman

Some interesting points made. Most importantly is that there seem to be a lot of ppl who have just assumed that this is a finished product about to release instead of it being a concept project that is more then half a year away from release.

There are always going to be naysayers out there but the idea that there are ppl who want to do a full review on the console or want their library of games right now are just morons.

vesaker 07-27-2012 10:04 AM

Some more info

Also we now have a pic of the full controller.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....ler-render.png

I'm not sure how i feel about having the control stick on the left over the d-pad. That's one of the very few things i don't like about Xbox's controller set up.

vesaker 07-30-2012 11:56 AM

Another article on Engadget

This one talks about some of the hurdles that the OUYA are going to have to over come to become and actual success.

vesaker 07-31-2012 01:15 PM

Some OUYA game news

So it seems that Square Enix has signed on as partners and will be bringing their recently released android version of FFIII as a launch game. They also said that the game will be updated so as to use the OUYA/TV interface to its max potential.

For myself, i was never goingto shell out the $15 to play FFIII on a mobile device when i already beat it when it got released for the Nintendo DS. But if they bring hte price down i would consider getting it for the OUYA, especially if they decided to android-ify the rest of the earlier games as well.

Greg Of Canada 08-16-2012 12:51 PM

I will definitely buy it when it comes out. There are some great games on the android market that are worthy of being played in a big screen. Also, XBMC is coming pre-loaded with Ouya. So for me, it will not only be a gaming consol, but it will be a media center for all of my backed up movies. I'm excited.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

vesaker 06-25-2013 12:03 PM

The Ouya has arrived!

The system is now released at select retailers, it was pushed back form its original June 4th release. It's selling for the $100 price tag that they promised in their Kickstarter, which is great. Extra controllers are said to run $50 each. They are wireless and appear to require batteries, which are included for the controller that comes with the system at least.

On launch they claim to have more then 170 titles ready to go. All are free to try with no obligation to buy. The pricing of games is still unknown it seems but i doubt they will get above the $5 mark for the most part until we start getting bigger better android based games made to be played on this system.

It will also have other apps like Twitch.tv, Plex, XBMC, TuneIn, Crunchyroll, iHeartRadio and others.

But possibly the craziest part of the Ouya will be the "MAKE Channel". This is described as a:
Quote:

An evolving channel that uses OUYA's built-in software development kit to enable creators to build and test games, later allowing a direct relationship with OUYA gamers through the system.
Yep, that's right. You are going to be able to make and test your own games with nothing more then the system itself! How well this will work and how accessible (easy to use) it will be remains to be seen