Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Get your commercials off my dvd already (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146314)

GodMagnus 07-21-2012 04:17 PM

Get your commercials off my dvd already

There was a point in time when a movie going experience was simple. You sa down, saw some stupid trivia, curtain opens and trailers start then the movie. Now we have to sit through endless commercials, both done for the theatre experience and actual ON TV commercials all before the trailers. It's pissing me off...Much like dvd's are these days. With VHS we always could fast forward trailers and FBI warning etc. Now, MANY dvd/blu-rays, you can't even skip to the actual main menu.
This is one reason why I am pro-pirate. I can slap it on a USB, put it on my PS3 and start watching the film right there. It angers me that for many of my dvd's and blu-rays, I can't even forward the FBI warnings, that we have known about since VHS times, nor being able to skip "commentary is not the companies fault" warning etc. Many times you have to wait a good 5-10 JUST to get to the menu screen. I've even seen DVD's that play TV commercials on them.
I don't know about all of you but I didn't pay money to wait for TV commercials and trailers to end. I paid so I can watch a movie I really enjoyed. STOP PUTTING THAT CRAP UP BEFORE THE MOVIE.
Now, I get ads are important, everyone does it these days. Made youtube less fun, however I would prefer ads and trailers be in a special features area, where I can optionally view them but more importantly, put in the dislk and WATCH MY DAMN MOVIE WITHIN A MINUTE!!!
I;m tired of ads taking up my time. I am more than aware about the FBI warning and "don't pirate me" clause. Let me at least SKIP that shit and play my damn movie.

side note: I do condone pirating. The only benefit it has for me, aside from saving money, is being able to play my movie instantly. I have downloaded in he past, probably will in the future, but I have also gone to theatres to see the movie I pirated because I enjoyed the movie.

anyway, anyone else feel this whole "ads ads ads" thing needs to be cut down or at least less intrusive? I should be able to put a dvd or blu-ray disk in my PS3, hit one button and be taken to the main menu and skip ALL things in between.

end rant

SL Dubbs 07-21-2012 04:30 PM

I think a dvd with trailers or ads should just be in the dvd/blu ray extras and not forced on the audience or viewer.

Nobody really gives a fuck about the FBI warning it's not threatning or scarying anyone it's just there. It does seem like it is put out there just to annoy. It is petty and annoying but I could see it getting to the point of people just saying fuck the FBI and burning movies on the sole purpose of their annoying WARNING. I like how the mockery made of it on the Fight Club dvd.

Erroneous 07-23-2012 12:14 AM

I like that with most Disney movies, they have fast play that takes you right to the movie.

If I rent a movie, I am ok with the ads. If I buy it movie, I should have be subjected to this crap. Years later the trailer is of a movie that is also years old. I also hate the FBI warning. As if anyone is going to read it and say, "I should stop this or I could go to jail." If I want to watch the ads and trailers, make it an option. Let me get straight to my movie.

On a side note, I do not believe in advertising. It is over used to the point that we ignore anything that is not of interest to us. 99% of any advertising does not make me want to buy anything. Certain ads are good. Like movies, new products or info, but does Budweiser, Coke, Pepsi and Geico need to do soooooooo many ads? No. I believe less is more.

GodMagnus 07-23-2012 09:11 AM

I get why they have ads, sponsors etc. But when I put a DVD or Blu-ray in my PS3, my plan is to watch the movie. Even the for example "fox is not responsible for the commentary..." warnings they put annoys me. Like I really CARE if the production company doesn't want their name mixed with an actors commentary. Who cares. I don't need a warning for that. Just play the movie

magjournal 07-23-2012 11:04 AM

I don't mind trailers at the movie theater because I actually like them, and you can always avoid annoying commercials at the theaters if you arrive closer to the scheduled showtime for the movie.

But on DVDs and Blu-Rays it just annoys me. I paid for the product, why do I have to watch dated commercials anyway? I also love those montages that Blu-Rays have on them showing how awesomesauce Blu-Ray is. I bought the fucking Blu-Ray, I know Blu-Ray is awesomesauce. YOU DON'T NEED TO TELL ME.

Antonio141 07-23-2012 06:50 PM

Yeah we get enough of that in theaters! I hate it when some DVD's refuse to allow you to skip, jump, fast-forward ahead to the main menu!

Duke Nukem 07-24-2012 07:37 PM

I have a solution for going to the theater and having commercials and spoilerific previews thrown at you. If you're seeing the movie alone, bring your MP3player or whatever you listen to nowadays. I still listen to a CD walkman and it saves me the misery of commercials and previews.

And I used to like seeing previews. Nowadays, every individual preview is 2+ minutes long and gives almost the whole movie away. I wish producers in Hollywood would learn to be creative and realize less is more. Make the previews shorter and stop wasting our time and yours. This is not just now, this has gone on for decades. Previews have always shown an outline of the movie, it's just become more blatant in the 2000's.

As for watching DVD's (and not Blu-Ray in my case), the remote should have a menu button and also a Next button. I have some newer movies in which the Menu botton "does not function," but the Next button should get you there. It may be annoying that you have keep hitting Next, but I'm patient. The FBI warning is no huge deal for me. It's just fifteen seconds of your life, and so is that "we didn't make the commentary, the asshole filmmakers did" screen.

Don't have Blu-Ray. Is it a lot tighter in enforcing you to sit through the entire preview show before the menu screen? My sympathies.

Matchbox225 07-24-2012 09:43 PM

I hate not being able to skip the previews too.

You know what makes it worse? When you have to stop the movie and turn off the dvd player, but it won't let the movie start where you left off when you turn it back on. I have to do that sometimes and so then I have to hit the next button over the previews again and again.

The most previews I've had to use the next button on was probably 7 or 8. Has anybody had to skip more than that? Imagine having like 20 previews and not being able to skip to the main menu.

jaw2929 07-24-2012 10:34 PM

Matchbox, I think I counted pressing the skip button 8 or 9 times... Something like that to get to the movies fucking main menu screen. I agree 1000% with this rant, it's fucking bullshit you can't just go straight to the movie itself!

Dirtyfrog 07-26-2012 04:26 AM

The "Fox is not responsible for commentary etc " screen is to shield the company from lawsuit. The same reason there's a "This coffee is hot" on McDonalds cup ( they were sued and lost by a woman who burned herself a couple years ago )

But yeah ..... 5-6 minutes of useless & unskippable FBI warning , previews , anti-piracy ads , product placement etc is only ammo for the pro-piracy movement. The only thing they achieved is to piss off the loyal customers.

In a theater , i get preview for movies that will come out soon and no one has seen yet so i get it but who the fuck cares about a Miami Vice preview when you're watching Resident Evil for the 10th time ( made-up example btw). The worst is when i get the Panasonic/Microsoft "HD-DVD is the future of DVD" 2 minutes ad when everyone knows they failed to Blu-ray. I get a giggle out of those lol

MovieMaster 08-08-2012 11:13 AM

I make a copy of every movie I own and use editing software to remove the crap. Put the originals up for safe keeping. Need to get a bluray burner here soon so I can start on my blu rays. Might seem like a waste of time to go through that trouble but my kids can be rough on dvds in their collection so having the backup is a good idea to me and the editing only takes a couple of extra minutes.

Bondgirl 08-10-2012 10:01 PM

Well l have to agree that cermercials are getting bad not only on dvds but on youtube too

But l dont mind the trailers to up and coming movies even though you can be bombarded with trailers for quite a while

Also when you go to the cinema you have to go through 10mins of ads before you see the actual movie

Beard_of_Meat 08-13-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magjournal (Post 3579310)
I don't mind trailers at the movie theater because I actually like them, and you can always avoid annoying commercials at the theaters if you arrive closer to the scheduled showtime for the movie.

But on DVDs and Blu-Rays it just annoys me. I paid for the product, why do I have to watch dated commercials anyway? I also love those montages that Blu-Rays have on them showing how awesomesauce Blu-Ray is. I bought the fucking Blu-Ray, I know Blu-Ray is awesomesauce. YOU DON'T NEED TO TELL ME.

This 100%