Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Celeb Talk/Gossip (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Michael Clarke Duncan Dead At 54 (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146705)

magjournal 09-03-2012 04:52 PM

Michael Clarke Duncan Dead At 54

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Michael Clarke Duncan has died, the "Green Mile" actor's fiancee told the Associated Press. He was 54.

His publicist released a statement from his fiancee Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, saying the actor died Monday morning in a Los Angeles hospital after nearly two months of treatment in response to a heart attack July 13.

Duncan is best known for his performance in the 1999 prison drama "The Green Mile," starring Tom Hanks. The Oscar-nominated actor has also appeared in "Armageddon," "The Scorpion King," and "Sin City."
Source: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ent&id=8796487

He had a great screen presence and will be sorely missed.

MovieMaster 09-03-2012 04:54 PM

Well damn this is just sucky news to start the week off on. Such a cool guy and always memorable on screen. RIP Big Man

Reckoner 09-03-2012 04:57 PM

This is very sad news. He seemed like a sincere guy and his performance in The Green Mile is among the most devastating work I've ever seen done by an actor.

R.I.P.

magjournal 09-03-2012 05:00 PM

He did seem like a sincere guy. Behind the powerful voice and the fact that he could crush your head like a grape with just one hand, he always came across as a gentle and really cool person.

SkyNet 09-03-2012 05:00 PM

No fucking way man... what the fuck!

This is absolutely terrible news. He was such a great actor... and when he was on Craig Ferguson he always came across as a really great, down to earth guy who seriously was so happy at his career and his life.

This is god awful news... this 2nd half of 2012 is turning into a terrible one for talented people.

RIP... this one truly gets me, I loved this guy in everything and he was one of my favorites.

AspectRatio1986 09-03-2012 05:01 PM

Shit..............shit.

Matchbox225 09-03-2012 05:04 PM

I didn't even know about the heart attack.

RIP
:(

echo_bravo 09-03-2012 05:09 PM

Absolutely terrible.

RIP:(

athf1980 09-03-2012 05:16 PM

RIP

echo_bravo 09-03-2012 05:31 PM

no joke but he was awesome in every film he was in(not just the Green Mile)

Sin City
Armageddon
Planet of the Apes
The WHole Nine Yards

bigred760 09-03-2012 05:36 PM

He obviously stood out in every movie he was in, but he delivered several memorable performances that made him stand out even more, but not just because of his size.

The Green Mile
Armageddon
Sin City

-just to name a few.

RIP

SpikeDurden 09-03-2012 05:54 PM

Very sad. RIP, big guy.

Erroneous 09-03-2012 06:03 PM

Thank you for the memories. He truly seemed grateful for the easy acting gigs and money. He was easy to root for. He was not bad at anything he did.

SweetEnLow 09-03-2012 06:18 PM

Very sad news. RIP

jolanar 09-03-2012 06:45 PM

Wow just wasn't expecting to see this. It's a damn shame.

God of War 09-03-2012 07:16 PM

No way! I don't believe this tragic news. Wtf.

R.I.P :(

WTF?

Puck Bond 09-03-2012 07:24 PM

Very sad news! :(
Loved him in The Green Mile, Arnageddon, The Whole Nine Yards and Sin City!

R.I.P. Michael Clarke Duncan!

creekin111 09-03-2012 07:51 PM

RIP. I swear more celebrities and famous people seem to die towards the end of summer.

jeo4 09-03-2012 07:56 PM

Way too young to lose a big star like that. RIP

Bondgirl 09-03-2012 08:36 PM

RIP

CuatroDiablos 09-03-2012 08:36 PM

I actually shed a tear , just like when he died in The Green Mile ...the only movie that has made me cry.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ruly2 09-03-2012 08:46 PM

OMG!

I just heard the sad news. He will be greatly missed. I also found this:

Quote:

The 6-foot-4, 315-pound Duncan "suffered a myocardial infarction on July 13 and never fully recovered," the statement said.
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...-dead-54-54506

:(

ChrisClu30 09-03-2012 08:47 PM

I thought he would live till his 90s. I had no idea he had a heart attack. I am sure most schmoes know this but if you don't..... Did bodyguard work for Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Jamie Foxx, LL Cool J, and The Notorious B.I.G.; he let a friend take over for him the night Notorious B.I.G. got shot, which prompted him to quit that line of work. RIP MCD

SkyNet 09-03-2012 09:25 PM

I read that B.I.G thing earlier today as well, that is insane.

I had been meaning to watch Armageddon again recently, as it is one of my all time favorites (unapologetic Michael Bay fan), and I just finished it. Still one of my favorites (Trevor Rabin is one of the best Film Score-ists of all time... his scores are all epic and amazing... one of the things that makes me love Bay is his use of Film Scores).

MCD was great in the movie, obviously, just a funny addition in it.

I'm thinking later i may throw on some Slammin Salmon, to watch a movie where this dude was just having fun!

That is what I loved, he always seemed to be just happy! He was on Craig Ferguson's show a lot (and I eagerly anticipate Ferguson's show tomorrow night to hear what he says) and he just always seemed like a great guy and one who was very humble and happy.

This death reminds me of another African American Death that I still haven't gotten over: Bernie Mac. Just out of nowhere and someone who I just wasn't done enjoying.

Darth Kenshin 09-03-2012 10:05 PM

I didn't even know he had a heart attack. He was a big dude. This kind of reminds me of all those wrestlers who died fairly young because of heart problems. Wonder if he got so jacked by the wrong means.

Anyway, he was awesome. Even in Daredevil, his screen presence was formidable. Gonna miss watching him do his thing.

JoeChar4321 09-03-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin (Post 3594895)
Anyway, he was awesome. Even in Daredevil, his screen presence was formidable. Gonna miss watching him do his thing.

He was great in Daredevil. He just lit up in the DVD extras as well, the world is missing a great guy tonight, period.

Just stunning... my prayers go out to his family.

Badbird 09-03-2012 10:48 PM

Well, shit. That's a bummer. Always thought he was inspired casting as the Kingpin.

blankpage 09-03-2012 10:57 PM

A great presence on the screen whose performance in The Green Mile moved me to tears.

Rest easy, Big Fella.

magjournal 09-03-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNet (Post 3594885)
That is what I loved, he always seemed to be just happy! He was on Craig Ferguson's show a lot (and I eagerly anticipate Ferguson's show tomorrow night to hear what he says) and he just always seemed like a great guy and one who was very humble and happy.

This death reminds me of another African American Death that I still haven't gotten over: Bernie Mac. Just out of nowhere and someone who I just wasn't done enjoying.

I love his interviews with Craig Ferguson. The two just really clicked together. Sad that we never got to see that cop show with Reginald Longbottom and Mick Delaplane.

Bernie Mac didn't really hit me too hard when he initially died because I hadn't seen too much of his stuff at that point in my life but I started watching The Bernie Mac Show and then got into the Danny Ocean trilogy and was really impressed with his comedic chops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin (Post 3594895)

He was the best part of Daredevil. I mean I didn't hate the movie like a lot of people, but he was the only truly solid performance. Honestly I had never heard of the guy before the movie came out and was a bit skeptical given that Kingpin is normally white, but damn did he knock it out of the park. I actually can't think of anyone else who I'd like to play Kingpin more than him and it would've been awesome if he reprised the role in the eventual reboot (preferably Joe Carnahan's).

Quote:

Originally Posted by blankpage (Post 3594918)
A great presence on the screen whose performance in The Green Mile moved me to tears.

Rest easy, Big Fella.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never actually seen The Green Mile. I've had it recorded on my DVR for awhile but I've always picked watching shorter films over The Green Mile. I'm definitely gonna watch it soon though, because I don't doubt he's fantastic in it.

bigred760 09-04-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magjournal (Post 3594928)
I'm ashamed to admit that I've never actually seen The Green Mile. I've had it recorded on my DVR for awhile but I've always picked watching shorter films over The Green Mile. I'm definitely gonna watch it soon though, because I don't doubt he's fantastic in it.

If you recorded it off of basic cable - like AMC or TNT, I recommend deleting it and renting, Netflixing, or Redboxing it. From what I've seen, some good stuff gets deleted out of the basic cable version that makes it a weaker movie.

magjournal 09-04-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigred760 (Post 3594930)
If you recorded it off of basic cable - like AMC or TNT, I recommend deleting it and renting, Netflixing, or Redboxing it. From what I've seen, some good stuff gets deleted out of the basic cable version that makes it a weaker movie.

Nah man, I've got HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Encore, and Showtime. The Green Mile frequently airs on one of those channels (forgot which one since they're basically all the same to me) and I recorded it from there. I always record from those channels (along with TCM which thankfully has no commercials during movies, only in between them), never from basic cable. I hate commercials breaking up the pacing of the movie along with any possible tension, plus censorship means that half of the dialogue in films like Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, and The Big Lebowski are muted or replaced with nonsensical substitutes. I can't stand watching movies on basic cable and even if I really wanna see a movie and it's only on basic cable, well, I'll just skip it.

I know that turned into an off-topic rant but I thought I'd answer your question. :p

ilovemovies 09-04-2012 01:52 AM

Very sad. A very solid actor. Daredevil was always one of my favorite comic book movies and he was awesome in it. And in The Green Mile and loved him in Armageddon as well.

Never saw his canceled television series from last year, The Finder. It didn't look that good to me but I came close to giving it a try once because of him. And I did see a LITTLE bit of one episode that was kind of meh, but okay, I guess.

Anyway, RIP big guy! :(

Digifruitella 09-04-2012 02:51 AM

Fucking sad, man. RIP. Truly loved him in The Green Mile, and Armageddon. Just sucks. *Sigh* :(

the clever guy 09-04-2012 04:58 AM

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...KGEcZboGrAKAwA

My buddies grandpa used to work with him in Chicago. Told me stories. A true genuine guy...seriously, too fucking young. He will be unanimously missed.

Fucking heart problems. Fuck you.

RustyRazor 09-04-2012 07:09 AM

Sad, sad news.
Made me laugh and enriched the movies that he starred in with what he brought to the screen.
RIP

anakinsrise 09-04-2012 07:19 AM

Everytime i watched or read an interview with Michael Clarke Duncan he seemed genuinely humbled and happy that
he had made it in Hollywood and accomplished a lot in a short time in a life that was far too brief.
R.I.P Big Mike.

Tony_Montana 09-04-2012 07:56 AM

RIP :(

MidnightAngel 09-04-2012 01:30 PM

It's unfair that great actors like Michael Clark Duncan pass away and other bad actors are still alive. Goodbye mr. Duncan for your great talent.

SkyNet 09-04-2012 03:28 PM

As i have previously mentioned, I am an unapologetic Michael Bay fan and if it wasn't just for his movies that I love, it would be for stuff like this:

Quote:

I'm really bummed at losing such a great guy in my life today, Michael Clarke Duncan.

I gave him his first big movie role in Armageddon as Bear. We found him in a gym. He cried at the first audition because he was so proud to audition for a "Michael and Jerry movie", he just wanted to make his mom proud. We gave him the role in the room.

His first day on Armageddon he sucked. I remember looking to Ben Affleck and thinking we might need to fire him. But I told him "Mike, I hired you for you, I want the sweet, Mr Clarke Duncan I met in that room". I said, "the audience is going to fall in love with you".

He looked and smiled with deep voice and said "Ok".

From then on out he became the most improved actor on the set. That was the award he got at the end of the film. Everyone loved him, his infectious spirit and great belly laugh.

It was a great time I will always remember, how proud I was to watch him grow into an actor. Watching him study all the guys from Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck to Steve Buscemi, and Owen Wilson. When he said in the movie he " wanted to stay in the White House for the summer" he killed it. In his N.A.S.A. evaluation I told him to cry like a baby. He looked at me with his macho Duncan eyes and said "Mike I can't do that" I said "yes you can" and it became the biggest laugh in the movie.

I'm really sad to lose him. Rest in peace buddy.

Michael Bay

The Postmaster General 09-05-2012 02:09 AM

Ferguson's tribute was really cool. A couple really cool guys.