Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Current Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Looper (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146775)

Smiert Spionam 09-12-2012 08:50 AM

Looper

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/958/looperposter.jpg

Written & Directed By Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom)

Genre Sci-Fi/Action

Plot In 2072, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent 30 years into the past, where a hired gun awaits. Someone like Joe, who one day learns the mob wants to 'close the loop' by transporting back Joe's future self.

Cast Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, Jeff Daniels, Piper Perabo

Rated R for strong violence, language, some sexuality/nudity and drug content

Runtime 118 minutes

Been patiently waiting for this baby for nearly 3 years now. So close! :eek:

AspectRatio1986 09-12-2012 09:09 AM

.....just a little over 2 weeks now....

SpikeDurden 09-12-2012 09:31 AM

Excited is an understatement.

CuatroDiablos 09-12-2012 09:56 AM

One of the best movies of the year.

DaveyJoeG 09-12-2012 11:18 AM

This is currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 23 reviews.

echo_bravo 09-12-2012 11:24 AM

What happened to JGL's face?!!??

:p

xseanymacx 09-12-2012 12:31 PM

I am going to be all over this shit.

ilovemovies 09-12-2012 03:58 PM

I know they made JGL's face like that to make him look more like a younger Bruce Willis. He still doesn't look like a young Bruce Willis to me.

That aside, this movie looks awesome and I can't wait to see it!

MidnightAngel 09-12-2012 07:32 PM

The director of Looper also directed Brick? Working again with Joseph Gordon Levitt. This year's Inception?

Badbird 09-12-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3598340)
I know they made JGL's face like that to make him look more like a younger Bruce Willis. He still doesn't look like a young Bruce Willis to me.

He's supposed to be about the same age Bruce Willis was when he was in Moonlighting. You know, back when Bruce Willis didn't look anything like he does now...

I'm not going gaga over this one. Looks okay. Maybe low expectations will leave me pleasantly surprised.

echo_bravo 09-24-2012 04:25 PM

http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball...t=36775&inline

Mr.HyDe807 09-24-2012 04:46 PM

Midnight showing. No questions asked for me.

Hucksta G 09-25-2012 05:37 AM

Seeing it tomorrow, pretty pumped!

xseanymacx 09-25-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo_bravo (Post 3602860)

A Trailer Park Boys reference. Well f'in played sir :D

SpikeDurden 09-25-2012 02:51 PM

I'm out of town for the week but luckily a theatre nearby is having a midnight showing so I just picked up my tickets! Sweet.

xseanymacx 09-25-2012 03:27 PM

"I'm going to fix this! I'm going to find him and I'm going to kill him!"

Every time I listen to this in the trailer, I get giddy. I can't wait to have this. I believe I've said that before. :p

SSThomps 09-25-2012 04:02 PM

God this looks so good!!! CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT

P1NSTR1PEZ 09-25-2012 04:47 PM

Seeing this on Thursday

ilovemovies 09-25-2012 10:48 PM

James Berardinelli just gave it 4 stars! :cool:

Hucksta G 09-26-2012 04:22 AM

Fucks with your head if you think about it too much, but luckily the film addresses that and knows where its strengths lie and it is all the better because of that. A cool, orginal, bad-ass sci-fi which is bound to be a cult classic. (9/10)

SpikeDurden 09-26-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3603474)
James Berardinelli just gave it 4 stars! :cool:

Woah. That's damn rare.

Mr.HyDe807 09-26-2012 08:57 PM

I've been pumped for this movie ever since Smiert's thread in the upcoming thread. Now I'll be able to see this movie tomorrow?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma0wf6xwbk1rv4e0b.gif

Roy Batty 09-27-2012 04:35 PM

Seeing this tomorrow!

echo_bravo 09-27-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 (Post 3603939)
I've been pumped for this movie ever since Smiert's thread in the upcoming thread. Now I'll be able to see this movie tomorrow?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma0wf6xwbk1rv4e0b.gif

haha awesome gif right there.

I'm seeing this tomorrow morning

xseanymacx 09-27-2012 09:30 PM

More than likely going and grabbing a quick lunch and hitting an early afternoon showing. Hopefully I'm the only one in the theater or one of only a dozen or so, lol.

I. Am. Pumped.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...5/excited2.gif

P1NSTR1PEZ 09-27-2012 10:00 PM

Just came home from the screening.

I think I expected too much of maybe a different story because it felt a bit underwhelming. Maybe I was trying to fit the puzzle pieces together too quickly or something.

The story is cool, it's an original film no doubt.

It seemed to me that it wasn't JGL acting in the film. All the make up, the voice altering, it felt like someone else. A bit distracting but not bad. Bruce Willis does his job, but nothing earth shattering. The story gets really interesting once Emily Blunt and her kid are introduced.

The film has some great moments but just didn't deliver as much as I thought it would. Perhaps I over hyped it in my head.

SkyNet 09-27-2012 10:01 PM

Saw this movie almost a year ago, loved every minute of it. There were some spots that had pacing issues, but they were necessary to the story.

The cut I saw still had a lot of special effects not finished (I.E wire work still in tact, not yet edited out)

and funnily enough:

Spoiler:
Emily Blunt smokes cigarettes in the movie, the Cigs were all but 1 put in in post production! Guess she isnt a smoker!

Just a great concept movie and a great piece of sci fi. I look forward to seeing it again, as I saw it nearly a year ago and my memory of it is a bit fuzzy.

Hucksta G 09-28-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNet (Post 3604421)
Saw this movie almost a year ago, loved every minute of it. There were some spots that had pacing issues, but they were necessary to the story.

The cut I saw still had a lot of special effects not finished (I.E wire work still in tact, not yet edited out)

and funnily enough:

Spoiler:
Emily Blunt smokes cigarettes in the movie, the Cigs were all but 1 put in in post production! Guess she isnt a smoker!

Just a great concept movie and a great piece of sci fi. I look forward to seeing it again, as I saw it nearly a year ago and my memory of it is a bit fuzzy.

Spoiler:
I believe she simulates smoking cigarettes because her character no longer does, as those cigarettes are not in the finished product, either :)

Mr.HyDe807 09-28-2012 11:24 AM

The concept of time travel as window dressing, rather than being the main point of the film has been the key for many classic movies. Back to the Future, The Terminator, and it’s sequel have all used time travel as a means to bring about an interesting and involving story, never really allowing itself to delve too deeply on how the aspects of time travel and the possible paradoxes in the universes that comes from it. Looper is well aware of this, and instead creates a thematic story of destiny, and whether selfishness or selflessness rules over one man’s soul, all with the underlying concept of time travel.

Director Rian Johnson does not hesitate in dropping the viewer in the future world of 2042, where the setting is full with vagrancy, and the cities ruled by “Loopers”, hit men who take out victims from the future, through the expert use of time travel. This all introduced by Joe (Joseph Gordon Levitt), a “Looper” who is making his way in hopes for a better life once his job is all finished up. However, that prospect all changes when his future self (Bruce Willis) returns to the future, putting a hitch in Joe’s life.

The first half of Looper expertly establishes the environment and rules of what the Looper job entails, as well as how the world has been effected to the new crime organization. The architecture and technology are all well grounded, evoking other futuristic move settings like Alfonso Cuaron’s Children of Men. As for the time travel aspect, Johnson never makes the ideas feel like some elaborate puzzle that viewers will pick out problems and plot holes for the story’s sake, but rather keeps in a more streamlined and tight overview that allows the film to throw some curveballs and effective sequences on how timelines can be effective.

But, as the futuristic world, much like the aspects of time travel, are all the backseat drivers when it comes to great characters. Joseph Gordon Levitt is saddled as the younger Joe, with make up and prosthetic that mirrors his future self, played by Willis. But, rather than just allow the make up to be the crux of the performance, Levitt goes out of his way to enact facial tics and dialect to become more like Willis. It’s very apparent in the first half of the film, but the performance isn’t what sells the character, it’s more of the baggage that Levitt’s Joe has. He, like all other Loopers, feels like they have the world at their fingertips. This comes through a montage of their partying and drug use, intercutting with their job taking out the future victims that appear at a certain time and place. But, that all changes when Bruce Willis enters the picture.

Willis brings the solemn performance in “Older Joe” that he brought in M. Night Shyamalan’s Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. He has the understated, world-weary characterization that he always knocks out of the park. The material that he deals with is certainly something shouldn’t be spoiled in regards to the plot, only that it’s strong, powerful stuff. Willis is more than up to the challenge in handling the stakes that his character goes through in this film, becoming the all-knowing future self that almost continuously belittles his younger self whenever Levitt’s “Younger Joe” complicates things.
But, the most interesting idea that Johnson brings to the table between these two characters in the complexity in their relationship. There are hints of selfishness and frustration between these two “Joes”, with the film going back and forth in their opening scenes together, never putting a true stance on who’s in the right or wrong. It’s a whole “shade of grey” in the proceedings, with each character showing their insecurities on how to proceed, and director Johnson seems to love that type of dynamic in his film.

Jumping back to Rian Johnson, to say that this is his more accessible or, in latency terms, “blockbuster flick”, can be a pretty apt point. While Brick and Brothers Bloom are both awesome movies, there’s a bit of distinction that some viewers wouldn’t be able to jump into Johnson’s world. Not so with Looper. Johnson seems to understand the science fiction genre, and by all means wants to celebrate the films that involve time travel, but also intent that this is his own vision. There are a bit homages in their own right, but Johnson does his own fresh spin on those ideas, allowing for some inventiveness on sequences that have been noticeable in other films.

There could be much more to discuss about Looper, discussing more of the story mechanics and other characters, but this review is more effective in keeping readers at a distance. The only thing that is important is to see this unique science fiction film, bringing a great spin, yet homage on the time travel gimmick, and succeeding on nearly all fronts.

9.5/10

AspectRatio1986 09-28-2012 12:00 PM

Headed to see this in like 2 hours. Woo.

echo_bravo 09-28-2012 03:15 PM

Talk about a film living up to the hype. Holy shit:eek:
This movie kicked all kinds of ass

Kudos to Rian Johnson on giving us something pretty original. It had elements of 12 Monkeys, Terminator and uh even Carie but ultimately really original all around.

The finale is one of the best things I've seen in a long time
Also kudos to Rian on making a bloody sci fi film and not some watered down PG 13 shitfest
10/10

xseanymacx 09-28-2012 03:49 PM

It will be extremely hard for a piece of filmmaking the rest of the way to top this as my favorite movie of 2012.

echo_bravo 09-28-2012 03:59 PM

^^^
Agree sean, Looper is gonna be tough to beat.

Oh and I want to try out that eye-drop drug. Looks like a lot of fun:cool:

magjournal 09-28-2012 08:46 PM

I'm gonna write and post a review soon, but for a little preview, I'll just say that it's a mediocre film.

AspectRatio1986 09-28-2012 08:50 PM

This was fucking amazing...I wish I had the Blu already so I could watch it again. We need more films like this....it's a damn shame that most movie goers will ignore this.

xseanymacx 09-28-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magjournal (Post 3604895)
I'm gonna write and post a review soon, but for a little preview, I'll just say that it's a mediocre film.

I'm very interested to read this. I will say:

Spoiler:
This is not making an assumption as to your review, but I could see the tight, fast pace or the sudden story shift heading into the third act turning people off. I for one, felt both worked perfectly and despite the amount of fantastical violence, I felt myself caring more for the main players in this film than just about any movie of the last couple years.

magjournal 09-28-2012 10:30 PM

My review: http://www.magjournal.net/looper-review/

If it seems like incoherent babble, it's because I'm tired as all fuck but I wanted to write the review with the film fresh in my mind.

Roy Batty 09-28-2012 11:38 PM

Great flick, but a jaw dropping third act!

9/10

ilovemovies 09-29-2012 12:38 AM

Wish I hadn't seen Richard Roeper's review of the movie.

Spoiler:
In the review he says how Bruce Willis goes back in time to kill someone who is a big bad guy in the future and it's pretty obvious that the person he goes back in time to kill is Emily Blunt's son.

JoeChar4321 09-29-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ (Post 3604420)

I think I expected too much of maybe a different story because it felt a bit underwhelming. Maybe I was trying to fit the puzzle pieces together too quickly or something.

The story is cool, it's an original film no doubt.

The film has some great moments but just didn't deliver as much as I thought it would.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magjournal (Post 3604919)
My review: http://www.magjournal.net/looper-review/

The most infuriating thing about Rian Johnson’s Looper is that it strives for so much and buckles under its own ambition. This is a film that introduces some heavy concepts, and I applaud that because intelligent action films are not too common nowadays. That being said, while Looper has its occasional moments of excellence, the film is mostly disposable.

This is simply one tough film to review or sum up. I'm leaning in the camp of these two statements.

It's as interesting as it gets and the movie certainly sticks with you. Still, it does play as overly ambitious and it does stumble over itself far too often. It does capture a kind of “Twelve Monkeys” vibe being that it’s a gripping, grim and often times bleak film that won’t make anyone’s “feel good” movies list. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt and Jeff Daniels all deliver excellent performances as one would expect. There’s a mixed bag here to be sure. I’m glad I saw it but I really can’t say I care to ever see it again.

7/10