Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Celeb Talk/Gossip (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Fall of Brad Pitt ? (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147753)

Dirtyfrog 12-09-2012 12:34 PM

The Fall of Brad Pitt ?

There was an interesting article about Brad Pitt in the newspaper lately. Sadly , the article was in french and i can't find a link online. So here's my translated recap of that article.

Killing Them Softly bombed in theater , his Channel ad was parodied a thousand time on the net , the Oscar are overlooking him and he seems to miss on all the major roles.

For sure , Killing Them Softly only costed 15M$ but a 7M$ opening weekend box-office is pretty low for a megastar like Brad Pitt ( who is also a producer ). Worst , Cinemascore gave it a rating of E ... only the 8th time since 1978 a movie got such a rating.

The Channel ad was so ridiculed online that Channel redid the ad with less Brad and more mannequins wearing robes. Parody example

Brad Pitt should have won the Oscar in 1996 for 12 Monkeys but he lost to a certain Kevin Spacey for The Usual Suspect. Since then , Pitt was nominated 2 more times. In 2009 , for The Case of Benjamin Button , he lost to Sean Penn (Milk). In 2011 , for Moneyballs , he lost to Jean Dujardin (The Artist). With Killing Them Softly , there's more Razzies talk than Oscar talk.

In 2009 , Brad Pitt was happy to get a role in Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds. He is even the main draw on the movie poster. Yet , people were mostly talking about Christoph Waltz's performance who did win both at the Oscar and Cannes. Last year , everyone only had eyes for Jessica Chastain who played his wife in Tree of Life. Next year , Brad Pitt appears in 2 big movies ( The Counselor & Twelve Years A Slave ) in which he lost both main role to Michael Fassbender.

At least we got World War Z in theater soon ......

So ? Is Brad Pitt only a commodity to newer & brighter stars now ? I like Brad but that article wasn't all wrong ( the article was longer and more profound , i just wrote from memory with the help of IMDB for fact checking )

What's your thought , schmoes ?

Scarface98.9 12-09-2012 12:42 PM

Huh? Brad Pitt's doing just fine.

He didn't win any oscars but Moneyball was a giant hit and it's not like Pitt was panned in KTS or Basterds. KTS didn't make a ton but but there's no Razzie and he's still one of the biggest stars in the world. That's like saying Will Smith's a nobody cause he hasn't won an Oscar and Jersey Girl (which he cameo'd in) bombed

Bourne101 12-09-2012 12:50 PM

Haha... no.

Dirtyfrog 12-09-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 (Post 3632998)
KTS didn't make a ton but but there's no Razzie

that was the article's word , not mine and after further review on the actual Razzies website

The month of November doesn't look very favorable for Razzie prospects. "Wreck-It Ralph", "Flight", "Skyfall", "Silver Linings Playbook", and "Killing Them Softly" are not likely to be contenders.

syxxpac 12-09-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne101 (Post 3633002)
Haha... no.

This. With an extra "Ha", perhaps.

jaw2929 12-09-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarface98.9 (Post 3632998)
Huh? Brad Pitt's doing just fine.

He didn't win any oscars but Moneyball was a giant hit and it's not like Pitt was panned in KTS or Basterds. KTS didn't make a ton but but there's no Razzie and he's still one of the biggest stars in the world. That's like saying Will Smith's a nobody cause he hasn't won an Oscar and Jersey Girl (which he cameo'd in) bombed

This. Well said sir. Pitt's not on any sorta decline and doesn't look to be anytime soon.

MightyCelestial 12-09-2012 02:48 PM

If I looked like him,
I'd be getting laid alot.
But, since I don't look anything near like him,
here I am,
spending yet another weekend browsing thru a site like this.
With you guys.

ilovemovies 12-09-2012 03:17 PM

I may not have been a fan of Killing Them Softly and I do think Moneyball was overpraised (it was good, but not award worthy) but that said, no way in hell would I call this "the fall of Brad Pitt". That's just ridiculous. Still love the guy!

Besides, I think Pitt is at a point in his career where he can just takes roles that interest him and doesn't need to worry about box office.

Hucksta G 12-09-2012 04:26 PM

IMO Brad Pitt is one of the most consistent actors working today, in terms of film quality and performance.

Erroneous 12-09-2012 04:44 PM

I think you are way off and basing a lot on this one movie in a down season. Awards and career paths do not go hand in hand.

Believe it or not, Pitt is not a mega block office star anyway. Most of his own, he is the main star movies gross way under $100 mil.

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/char...d=bradpitt.htm

Gordon 12-09-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hucksta G (Post 3633084)
IMO Brad Pitt is one of the most consistent actors working today, in terms of film quality.

Ebert likes to point out the best acting jobs are almost always the unrecognized ones because the only reason a role would be recognized is if the actor is doing a HEY LOOK AT ME performance. It may be an excellent job in a role which demands that (think: There Will Be Blood) but it is nevertheless somewhat counter to what is at the true heart of acting. All of this is to say that in my view the work Pitt did in Tree of Life, Killing Them Softly, etc. was thankless, really aimed more at allowing those actors around him to flourish, but nonetheless absolutely excellent.

Hucksta G 12-09-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 3633110)
Ebert likes to point out the best acting jobs are almost always the unrecognized ones because the only reason a role would be recognized is if the actor is doing a HEY LOOK AT ME performance. It may be an excellent job in a role which demands that (think: There Will Be Blood) but it is nevertheless somewhat counter to what is at the true heart of acting. All of this is to say that in my view the work Pitt did in Tree of Life, Killing Them Softly, etc. was thankless, really aimed more at allowing those actors around him to flourish, but nonetheless absolutely excellent.

Agree 100%, sorry i realise my post sounded like he just chose good roles so I added performance to it, as I do rate him quite high.

Digifruitella 12-09-2012 06:10 PM

He's as fallen as Johnny Depp is.

jeo4 12-09-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digifruitella (Post 3633114)
He's as fallen as Johnny Depp is.

So...pretty much not at all...right?

Matchbox225 12-10-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Agree with this.

I just think there is this thing where the "look at me" acting is perceived as better than the more naturlistic performances. I usually prefer naturalism myself.

I think someone like Jeff Bridges is just as good an actor as Daniel Day-Lewis, but it's not as interesting to hear about the process of a more natural performer than it is to hear about the lengths a method actor like Day-Lewis goes to for each role.

I'm sorry to go off the topic, but this is something that I've always found interesting in regards to acting.

Back on topic, Brad Pitt is just fine. Killing Them Softly just doesn't appear interesting to me at all and it looks like I'm not alone.

RustyRazor 12-10-2012 07:53 AM

....he gets bad reviews on a movie and it's all over for him?

I'm sure he's sitting around in his villa sitting on a ton of cash, "Moneyball" playing on his big screen TV and thinking:

"Damnit, this fell through. What am I going to do next? Infomercials! Let's see.... Hey there, I'm Brad Pitt. Do you suffer from chronic flatulence and frequent bloating from high acid content meals? Well I've got the solution. Brad's Pits. The pit of the Andalusian Berry has been recently discovered to provide almost instant relief from gas and bloating and I have brought 'em here to the states so everyone can have a great meal without the toots or poots. Brad's Pits. That was great! Hey, Angie! I've got a great idea!"

;)

docholiday_13 12-10-2012 12:03 PM

Killing Them Softly was awesome. Brad Pitt is awesome.

That is all.

Herald 12-10-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog (Post 3632997)
In 2009 , Brad Pitt was happy to get a role in Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds. He is even the main draw on the movie poster. Yet , people were mostly talking about Christoph Waltz's performance who did win both at the Oscar and Cannes.

This is a bit harsh. The movie was heavily promoted as an over the top violent war movie starring the basterds, but the final movie was all about Hans Landa and the revenge plot of a jewish girl. Brad Pitt and his merry men of nazikillers were just supporting characters. Not Pitt's fault.

bigred760 12-10-2012 01:38 PM

I don't think Killing Them Softly was supposed to do huge numbers at the box office anyway. Yes, it didn't make a lot of money - maybe even underperformed - but did anyone expect it to make $100 million?

And not winning an Oscar is not the end of a career? Look at Tom Cruise . . . he's lost a number of times, hasn't been nominated in years, and he's still churning out movies consistently.

And who gives a damn if a commercial has been parodied . . . SNL does it all the time.

I think Brad Pitt is going to be just fine.

Silverload 12-10-2012 06:06 PM

Brad Pitt sometimes picks good movies, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes his movies do very well, sometimes they don't. That's pretty much been his career since the start. I don't see any change.

Outside of movies, I could care less. He certainly seems like the type of person I'd never want to hang out with. His commercial is laughably pretentious. But I don't think anyone truly cares enough about that shit to stop seeing his films. I don't.

I personally won't go see World War Z because I think the movie looks like ass, not because I lost interest in Pitt as an actor.

Erroneous 12-10-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

I do not agree with Ebert at all.

Frosty_86 12-11-2012 07:28 AM

I do not think Brad Pitt is in any kind of decline. He did fantastic work in Killing Them Softly. The reception has been divisive and it did not make much money but it is not the kind of movie that makes very much money in it's initial run in the theaters and seems that the people who have liked it have really liked it. He has also received an astonishing amount of praise for his acting. He is a box office draw but he has never had the broad appeal that Tom Cruise has had. I think he is riskier than most actors with the parts that he chooses and I think that has paid off for him. Shit, Quentin Tarantino wrote the part of Aldo Raine with Brad Pitt mind. He has still not won that elusive gold statue but that means jack shit. Look at how long it took Al Pacino to win one. On rare occasion he will do a big movie but for the most part he does a lot of smaller movies whose success does not hinge on that huge- $100 million opening weekend. I do not think the shitty box office return on Killing Them Softly will ever make or break his career. Pitt is in no danger of going in to Gary Busey territory any time soon.

DaMovieMan 12-11-2012 10:41 AM

Apart from the awful looking World War Z, Pitt's making the right choices. Going for intelligent, mind provoking films like Killing Them Softly, Moneyball (although now I wish it was called Moneyballs), Tree of Life etc. He's the opposite of decline, he's ascending and wracking up an excellent filmography and time and time again showing the whole world that he's not just a pretty boy actor.

Johnny Depp has fallen off the wagon way more.

ilovemovies 12-11-2012 01:51 PM

Pitt may not have won an oscar yet, but he will. Someday. I don't doubt it.

echo_bravo 12-11-2012 03:33 PM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf...3uqyo1_400.gif

SpikeDurden 12-11-2012 03:41 PM

Pitt is taking the roles he wants to take, and that's all there is too it. He isn't trying to be a huge star or make big box office hits. He's just trying to be creatively fulfilled and take on challenging roles. He enhances them with a blockbuster once in a blue moon. Word War Z is the first blockbuster he will have been in since Ocean's Thirteen in 2007.

Digifruitella 12-11-2012 06:42 PM

Pitt is sorta doing what Depp did in his early career. They've actually switched places. Where Depp is doing funny/entertaining things, Pitt is tackling more mature roles (not counting WWZ). Just an observation. No decline here from em both

Bondgirl 12-11-2012 07:48 PM

Never been a Brad Pitt fan
The first movie l seen him in was Thelma and louise

And l have to say he was not much of a actor here plus he is not that goodlooking as some Australian actors who have made it big in America

Geez l would prefer to watch Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe to this man he doesnt put that much into his movies while the aussie blokes l have mentioned always bring you entertainment and action in all of there films

ilovemovies 12-11-2012 08:11 PM

Russell Crowe is awesome, but, while I like Hugh Jackman, he doesn't come close to being as great as Brad Pitt at his best. Jackman has yet to a movie as awesome as A River Runs Through It, Se7en, Twelve Monkeys, Fight Club, etc. I could go on.

Bondgirl 12-11-2012 08:16 PM

Well l know he is not with us anymore but l would also say that Heath ledger was better than Brad Pitt so there is a few actors who show more talent in how they pretray certain characters
I could even say that Sam Worthington is better too
I am sorry that l am bring out alot of australian actors but l have to say Brad Pitt shouldnt be up the top of the laddrer like some other actors l have mentioed

Brad Pitt is just not my cup of tea and his roles are not that strong in my eyes

ilovemovies 12-11-2012 08:20 PM

I'm a Sam Worthington fan and even I would say no way he is anywhere near the actor Brad Pitt is. But to each their own, I suppose.

jaw2929 12-11-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3633901)
Russell Crowe is awesome, but, while I like Hugh Jackman, he doesn't come close to being as great as Brad Pitt at his best. Jackman has yet to a movie as awesome as A River Runs Through It, Se7en, Twelve Monkeys, Fight Club, etc. I could go on.

I'd say that "The Prestige" was certainly better than "A River Runs Through It". The other 3 though? You're absolutely right on those. ;)

Bondgirl 12-11-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3633907)
I'm a Sam Worthington fan and even I would say no way he is anywhere near the actor Brad Pitt is. But to each their own, I suppose.

Well it is good to have opinions and like l said l prefer other actors to Brad but then you will have other members who think diffrently to me

Dirtyfrog 12-12-2012 09:54 AM

whoa ! i think i hit a nerve here ....

and yes i do like Brad so stop saying I'M WRONG! I'm just a messenger.

What's got me interested in the analysis was the overall picture. It's not about 1 stinker at the box-office fyi (money-wise , not quality-wise ... actually i haven't seen Killing Them Softly yet but it's on my list).

Brad this , Brad that .... yet no one adressed the elephant in the room aka that ridicule Channel ad.

My personnal opinion : Brad is great but he may be standing on the top of the hill atm ( the 12 Monkeys-Se7en-Interview with a Vampire was his greatest period ... and no i'm not forgetting that awesome stoner role in True Romance ) . The future will tell us if that article was full of shit or spot on.

Bondgirl 12-12-2012 07:09 PM

Do you know l prefer Angelina Jolie to Brad at least in the few fims she was in she could act in a film

Well l know Dirtyfrog you were reading imformation and didnt have a link to go with it and l dont think some of us would have been happy with the french version

What you put down was interesting and you wanted to show us in your own personal way
At least you had a go at it and some of the things you wrote were interesting

One thing l have to say are you a french man Dirtyfrog grins

Dirtyfrog 12-15-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondgirl (Post 3634275)
One thing l have to say are you a french man

indeed :p

Erroneous 12-15-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3633901)

It is not fair to compare Pitt with Jackman. Their rises are totally different. Hugh kinda followed the path of Affleck. Brad will never host the Oscars or sing like Jackman

Dirtyfrog 12-15-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erroneous (Post 3635327)
It is not fair to compare Pitt with Jackman. Their rises are totally different. Hugh kinda followed the path of Affleck. Brad will never host the Oscars or sing like Jackman

or do a stripper dance for Amanda Seyfried.

Well , it's kind of a given that Ben Affleck is a better director than an actor. Hugh is actually a better actor but doesn't have a lot to brag outside Wolverine.

Brad is still the best of the bunch as an actor but a "Monster/Monster's Ball/The Machinist/Philadelphia"-like performance would consolidate his place in the Hollywood hall of fame.

freakandgeek 12-23-2012 05:06 PM

Give the guy a break!
Most big named actors have had a few (or more) crappy moves in their career. But I believe Brad is loved in the industry, so I don't think he'll be going anywhere soon.

I just wish his stupid wife and him would stop being all over those lame magazine covers. And I can't stand his wife!