Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Current Movie Talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jack Reacher (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147828)

Bourne101 12-13-2012 09:38 PM

Jack Reacher

http://www.movieposter.com/posters/a.../155/MPW-77640

Directed by Christopher McQuarrie

Written by Christopher McQuarrie

Genre: Action

Plot Outline: A homicide investigator digs deeper into a case involving a trained military sniper who shot five random victims.

Starring: Tom Cruise, Rosamund Pike, Robert Duvall, Richard Jenkins, Werner Herzog

Rated PG-13 for violence, language and some drug material

Runtime: 130 minutes

Doesn't look all that good. What the fuck is Werner Herzog doing in this haha?

Erroneous 12-13-2012 09:52 PM

The marketing has been terrible. I tend to trust Tom and his movies. If I have time, I will check it out fo sho

ilovemovies 12-14-2012 04:00 AM

I think the movie looks badass and I'm a huge Cruise fan so I'm definitely there!

echo_bravo 12-14-2012 04:27 AM

The thing is, Cruise is sooo miscast as Reacher. If anyone here has read the Reacher novels, you'll know that he's like 6'3 and built like a tank.

They should of cast Hugh Jackman imo.

jolanar 12-14-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemovies (Post 3634882)
I think the movie looks badass and I'm a huge Cruise fan so I'm definitely there!

Ditto!

denius88 12-18-2012 01:07 AM

Is could be a hit action film by Tom cruise. waiting for it.

adwardhil 12-18-2012 06:01 AM

Jack Reacher is Tom Cruise upcoming action movie. this could be big hit of 2013.

Bondgirl 12-18-2012 07:05 AM

I was just watching a preview of this movie only five mins ago it just doesn't look good but maybe we have to test this movie at the theatre before we really judge it

Frosty_86 12-18-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo_bravo (Post 3634887)
The thing is, Cruise is sooo miscast as Reacher. If anyone here has read the Reacher novels, you'll know that he's like 6'3 and built like a tank.

They should of cast Hugh Jackman imo.

I have not read any of the novels but I am kind of against this movie for this very reason. I think Jackman would have been a better choice just listening to what people have described the books. I still think that the only reason why Cruise was cast was for his bankabilty. Granted I have heard he is good in it. I still think I'm going to wait for Netflix. There are more movies that I want to see this Holiday season anyways.

SpikeDurden 12-18-2012 08:58 AM

My #1 choice for the role would have been Ray Stevenson.

Regardless, Lee Child loves Tom Cruise in the role and that's good enough for me. Looks like a fun action picture that's getting some decent reviews.

ResidentWakeVille 12-18-2012 03:56 PM

Saw this movie over Holiday weekend.

Saw this on the Holiday weekend. Reacher was good, Tom Cruise was not. As a big fan of the comic books I still really thought Gerard Butler should have played Jack Reacher.

AceD 12-18-2012 04:49 PM

I always thought Josh Holloway (at his bulkiest) would be a great Reacher.

Alas, I'm glad the reviews are solid. Herzog seems like wonderful casting. I hope it does go the franchise route, but I think this was the right book to start with. Incredibly cinematic with a legit mystery. And Duvall was perfect casting as well.

P1NSTR1PEZ 12-22-2012 05:31 PM

Just came back from it, thought it sucked. Tried to be a mixture of Die Hard and Bourne and failed. Action scenes are bland, Cruise is a know-it-all rouge cop, the plot is muddled, no real motive.

Just messy and all over the place, not worth spending $ on. From the looks of it though, they'll make it into a franchise at least two more films, unfortunately.

P1NSTR1PEZ 12-24-2012 09:55 AM

http://afterthecut.com/2012/12/24/review-jack-reacher/

jolanar 12-28-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ (Post 3638141)
Just came back from it, thought it sucked. Tried to be a mixture of Die Hard and Bourne and failed. Action scenes are bland, Cruise is a know-it-all rouge cop, the plot is muddled, no real motive.

Just messy and all over the place, not worth spending $ on. From the looks of it though, they'll make it into a franchise at least two more films, unfortunately.

I disagree with you. This movie is absolutely nothing like Die Hard. You could maybe say it's similar to Bourne but even that's a stretch.

I really enjoyed the movie. It was better than I was even expecting it to be.

ilovemovies 12-28-2012 02:16 AM

I loved it. Some people complained about the lack of action, but I didn't mind that at all. It's more of a procedural/mystery and it's a damn good one. I actually thought the movie had plenty of tension throughout the movie. Admittedly, the first half is better than the second half. I loved the sense of mystery that permeated the first half. It kind loses that a bit during the second half. Still, I thought this was terrific. Tom Cruise was great. So was Rosamund Pike, Richard Jenkins as Pike's father. I loved the tension between them, they being on opposing ends of the legal system. Werner Herzog was okay, but I wanted to know more about his character. And we never really do find out much about him. Jai Courtney was great as Herzog's main henchman. I gotta say, after watching him here, I'm really excited to see him play John McClane's adult son in the next Die Hard movie, A Good Day to Die Hard. Robert Duvall comes in late in the movie and has some fun.

The movie also ends on something of a cliffhanger that I liked. It will make the next Jack Reacher interesting, assuming there will be another one. I hope so, because I think this could be a promising start to a potentially great franchise.

Ermy 12-28-2012 02:23 AM

This was a pretty good moviefilm. Jack Reacher was really good in it and it was action packed and so mysterious. I really liked how everyone was so suspenseful and Rosamund Pike was so good and scared in her role. I wish it was making more money so there would be more sequels. I like this new action hero!

This is my first post... looking forward to chatting with all of you here at these Joblo.com forums!

echo_bravo 12-29-2012 02:19 AM

Well this was a pleasant little surprise. I wasn't expecting much at all(I had like 2 hours to kill and just decided to go see it) and I really enjoyed it.

8/10

Erroneous 01-01-2013 09:42 PM

7/10
Typical Tom Cruise movie that is worth my money and my time. I liked it, but it is weak. Tom usually has a formula for the movies he makes and while a bit boring, they are always entertaining. Mind you, the movies are not boring, but rather his movies take few chances or break new ground. This movie lacks any sort of local culture. I know Pittsburgh is not exactly a social hot bed, bed there is some culture there. Tom's characters while always good in nature are boring. Jack did not have any character flaws. There were no self enriching moments.

The movie script is was written. A bit predictable. The bad characters lacked any true grit. We did not sympathize with anyone not even the wrongly accused patsy. Some well placed funny lines.

7/10 because it was well done beginning to end, bland and stale to me. I think there cold be a sequel or more in here if they develop the character emotionally