Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums

Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums (http://www.joblo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Horror Movie talk (http://www.joblo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147971)

Hubbs 12-23-2012 01:22 AM

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D

The obvious sequel to the surprisingly decent first film but does this follow suit with good looks and swift chills?. No, no it doesn't, I'm not gonna beat around the bush this is your complete and utter obligatory pointless sequel that has lost all of the originals plus points...almost.

Plot is suppose to follow 'Silent Hill 3' but I can't say either way as I've never played the games. So I guess I can't really moan about it as it may be faithful, that still doesn't excuse it being rubbish though. Basically the cult that wreaked havoc for 'Sharon' in the first film are somehow still around and after her ass to drag back to Silent Hill for more satanic like rituals...as you do.

Didn't 'Sharon' kill off all the cult folk in the first film? didn't she also merge with the bad half of herself...'Alessa' and close that chapter also?. Yep that's what I thought yet somehow we are back to square one again in this sequel.

The cult manage to nab her dad (Bean is back with his dodgy US accent) so she is forced back to Silent Hill to rescue him. All this does is equal a lot of your typical standard horror fair as a blonde runs around screaming loads as she bumps into all manner of unique looking monsters. Almost an excuse just to show off new monsters really.

The monsters are very good looking and original in design I won't deny but there is no point to them. The intro of 'Pyramid Head' back into the fray is also pointless as again there is no reason for him to be there, he's just there because he's the most famous monster in the franchise. The visuals are still pretty crisp and full of blood n gore but that can't hide the sheer waste of time this film is. Pyramid also saves 'Heather/Sharon' on two occasions, not sure whether he meant to or not though, so is he a savior for good now?.

The cast is fine and continuity is upheld nicely as we do see Mitchell again (briefly), as I said Bean is back. Carrie-Anne Moss is the new main baddie here and basically does what the previous character tried in the first film, all over again (groan!). The best bit about her is when she changes into her monster alternate (so not a real person then?) which looks suspiciously like a character from 'Hellraiser' hehe but its a cool design. Malcolm McDowell is in there too for a small cameo, could have been anyone, made no difference, just a big name to grab more attention methinks.

It just feels desperately and awkwardly pieced together to squeeze out a money spinning sequel. If the film is faithful to the game then kudos, I don't know, as a newbie it just feels rehashed to me. Most of the same monsters are back and the ending just sets up yet more cash in sequels making you sense a 'Resident Evil' style run. At least it does look good and they have kept the adult theme unlike the other franchise I just mentioned.